Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2016

Options

Comments

• KarenAus
    KarenAus Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2017
    Options

Today is the day for my DIEP. Thankfully I will sleep most of the day as I didn't sleep well last night. Midday today is the time set for it. I haven't been really nrvous until now but EEEK.

KarenAus

• mustlovepoodles
    mustlovepoodles Member Posts: 1,248
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm coming in to say that I've had to cancel my DIEP scheduled for Feb 7. My mother is dying of kidney failure. I cannot be incapacitated at this time. I need to save my strength and my energy to deal with end-of-life issues and settling her estate.

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2017
    Options

Mustlovepoodles, so sorry to hear of your mother's illness. Will be thinking of you during this difficult time.

• MAPBB
    MAPBB Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2017
    Options

oh that's terrible. I feel for you Mustlove. It sounds like you made the only decision you could.

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2017
    Options

Mustlove, supportive hugs to you and your Mom. I'm so sorry.

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Member Posts: 723
    edited January 2017
    Options

KarenAus, we'll be thinking of you. Just remember to take it easy and rest when you feel you need to.

MustLove, So sorry to hear that :( Ugh. Hugs.

• Simplicity
    edited January 2017
    Options

I have rogue stitches, 4 areas. One of which is at the end of the abdominal revision incision (say that 5x fast), and it's a group of like 4 stitches sticking out about 1/2 in. Well, I tried to pull it out today (over 3 weeks out), and not much, enough to freak me out, but it ripped upwards in my skin :( Not sure I am explaining that clearly. But like a knife, straight up it tore. Bleh. Guess it's not ready. I put some bacitracin on it and covered it but my abdominal skin has also become very sensitive to any adhesives, except for this one kind I use. Everything else causes a rash or tears my skin off with the adhesive.

iy yi yi

• Pittsburgh
    Pittsburgh Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hello all, new to this forum.

I'm having DIEP surgery on right breast January 19th. Anyone else out there have Dr. Craigie in Charleston, SC as their surgeon?

• stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    edited January 2017
    Options

hugs, Mustlove. There are no words. So sorry.

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited January 2017
    Options

mustlovepoodles: You must be a very kind and giving person. I am sending hugs to you and your mother. We will be here for you!πŸ’œ

simplicity: What are you thinking? You are a brave person. I had rogue stitches too, but I made an appointment with MO who removed them. I felt sooo much better! Call for a sick appointment! 😊

I am thinking of you all.

I have to have picc line put in tomorrow since all veins in left arm are collapsed. My MO scheduled me for both brain MRI and CT with contrast. It took a month to set these appointments. I hate "schedulers " at this hospital- no information re process so I watched YouTube. I am scared because I am tired of being poked for the past 4 years.

• jcn16
    edited January 2017
    Options

Lili, I had a brain MRI with contrast a few years ago. The technician suggested closing my eyes the entire time -worked great. Helps to block out the noise so bring ear plugs. It was so much easier than I thought it would be.

• bellcrawford
    bellcrawford Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hello Ladies, This is my first post.

I was diagnosed early Nov 2016 with recurrent DCIS in my left breast. Lumpectomy and radiation therapy isn't an option so I'm processing the news that I need a mastectomy. I've decided on immediate reconstruction and researched all my options. I prefer an autologous solution rather than an implant.

I met with the plastic surgeon referred by my general surgeon. She checked my belly and suggested an implant as she didn't feel I had enough tissue for a DIEP flap. I was surprised as I figured with a BMI >30 and a solid 20lbs over my ideal weight, I'd have enough for one breast (I'm a D cup). She said that she wanted a couple of weeks to think about my case. I see her again on Jan 24th.

So, now my concerns are: 1) I don't have enough tissue for a DIEP and will have to settle for an implant that I don't want or 2) she'll do a DIEP but the result will be a MUCH smaller breast. I asked about a lateral SGAP as I have generous love handles - more like banisters - but she doesn't do that procedure and said that they were very uncommon to the point of being a non-solution. While I'd like to get things underway, I want to make the right decision, not a decision that's most convenient for the ps or quick.

Some good news is that the surgeon can use my existing lumpectomy scar to do the mastectomy and they can spare my nipple.

I look forward to your input. Frankly, I'm feeling anxious and freaked out by the whole thing.

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2017
    Options

Lili I had my MO prescribe lorazepam to help me relax as I'm claustrophobic and it really helped keep me calm and still. Also you can ask for a washcloth to put over your eyes, helps to not see your surroundings when in the tube. Practicing deep breathing works as well. It's funny I kept trying to make some kind of music out of all the noises but there is no rythm to the clangs- very annoying πŸ€”, they should provide you with ear plugs, if not ask for them. Will be thinking positive thoughts for you.

• jcn16
    edited January 2017
    Options

Bellcrawford, can you get a second opinion from another PS

• Jiffrig
    Jiffrig Member Posts: 158
    edited January 2017
    Options

Bell Crawford, definitely find another PS, she is pushing you in a direction you do not want to go or she is not experienced. For DIEP you are not supposed to be over 30 BMI. I am just at that and have enough for a full C plus more! You do not say where you live but if you have a large teaching hospital, I would check there for a recommendation. It is a very difficult micro surgery but in the right hands the very best option

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2017
    Options

mustlove, so sorry.

Rogue stitches! I am plagued by them. I'm wearing a surgical bra to cover the breast ones and using gauze and tape for the abdomen. I'm allergic to most adhesives so I use the blue surgical tape which is hypoallergenic and doesn't stick to the skin when you remove it.

So...my left nipple is black on top. Obviously it's a bit of necrosis. It's not the whole nipple, just the top. Does anyone know what happens next? Does the black bit fall off, does it spread, does it mean I will lose the rest of the nipple, etc?

Bellcrawford, I agree, I would get another opinion. Especially if you're only doing 1 breast, even if you didn't have masses of tissue, they can do a stacked DIEP, where they take the tissue from both sides of the abdomen and ut it all in one breast. But it's a complicated surgery and the surgeon has to be skilled to do it, so if they aren't, they will steer you in a different direction.

• zinny
    zinny Member Posts: 168
    edited January 2017
    Options

MLP, I am so sorry to hear of your mother's kidney failure. My goodness, you have had a shitstorm this past year. Wishing you better days ahead. Big hugs.

• jcn16
    edited January 2017
    Options

Bellcrawford, it's true that some surgeons will push you in a different direction if they don't do DIEP. The first PS I saw told me I wasn't a good candidate. I later found out he doesn't do DIEP. I went to a big university hospital an hour away for a second opinion and that's where I had the surgery. Asking a PS how many years they've been doing DIEP and how many in the last year will reveal their level of experience. My PS does DIEP weekly.

• IDCountrygirl1
    IDCountrygirl1 Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2017
    Options

New to this, and have a few questions about the delayed healing... a small part of my incision and belly button are in this stage. Any others on the length of time to heal? My dr. said months.... ugh.... changing bandages daily really isn't a problem. I am 7 weeks post double diep flap, still having a bit of tummy swelling but associate that with the delayed healing. Standing, walking and generally doing pretty good, still taking it easy though. Just looking for information from others if they have had delayed healing issues. Thanks!

• IDCountrygirl1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Bellcrawford, I was told if a diep is used for one side, and something develops on the other, you do not have the diep option again as it is all or nothing, if the tummy fat isn't used it is tossed. Based on that I choose a double mastectomy and diep and there was no conversation regarding amount of belly fat needed or not. I was told my size might not be as big, but the girls are great! Take the advice of others and get a second opinion. Even if you have to travel a bit, this is too important a decision to have second thoughts. For my own piece of mind, I drove to Seattle, closest large city with very good reputation. Best of luck to you!

• IDCountrygirl1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Simplicity, I too have a few poking though, and was told DO NOT pull them... just cut them with clean scissors as close to the skin as you can without cutting yourself. They will work themselves out, just be patient and let them do their thing. Take care!

• Simplicity
    edited January 2017
    Options

IDCountrygirl1, funny how different different Dr's do things lol My Dr said it was fine after 2 weeks. To take a warm shower prior and they should come right out. The only reason I pulled these was because of the discomfort.

Also, it's back quite a few pages, but a few of us had delayed healing issues. I had abdominal dehiscence (opening of the abdominal incision) and then got an abscess on my left breast :( The dehiscence took months with packing/dressing 4-5 times a day at some points in the process. The breast abscess he ended up going in and proceeding with stage 2 to close it.

It will close. It does heal. May take time thou so do take it easy.

• bellcrawford
    bellcrawford Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ladies, thank you SO much for your input. I have asked my surgeon to refer me to another ps for a second opinion. IDCountryGirl, good point re: DIEP being a one-off solution.

I live north of Toronto. There are world-class institutions and teaching hospitals within 90 minutes of me. I chose a new cancer institution that is in my region and has a reputation for attracting bright and talented medical professionals. However, JCN16 as you say, volume is important.

Jiffrig, I'm glad you were able to get a C+ out of your DIEP. I may have exaggerated my BMI, although there are days when I certainly feel 30+. Sounds like we're in a similar range. I'm quite fit (workout regularly) and haven't had children (I'm >50 so no chance of pregnancy at this point). The ps seemed to think this was an issue; no sagging. Perhaps my view of ps's as cosmetic magicians is unrealistic.

In the meantime, my DCIS is small (.6cm) and I feel I have the time to make a decision that I'll be comfortable with, and with the right ps. My next appointment with my surgeon is Feb 6th. Tomorrow I have an appointment with a radiation oncologist for a private tutorial on why radiation therapy can't be performed on a previously radiated area. This is just for my peace of mind and learning rather than a change in treatments.

Thanks again for the advice re: a second opinion. I've read so many positive outcomes with DIEP and many negative outcomes with implants that I feel like I'm on the right road reconstruction-wise. Does anybody know about SGAP and lateral SGAP? How about stacked DIEP?

• jcn16
    edited January 2017
    Options

CountryGirl, I'll be 7 weeks post-op on Friday and also have abdominal swelling and a small part of the incision that hasn't healed. I'm told to expect swelling for 3 months. Ugh. The swelling is worse when I do too much bending (loading dishwasher, laundry, etc) so I'm trying to bend as little as possible. Also gassy foods seem to aggravate my swelling. I return to work full time next week and hope that the incision won't require packing after this week. It is getting a little bit better each day. Not sure if this answers your question.

• IDCountrygirl1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thank you Simplitity and jcn16 for your information, very much appreciated. Its nice to have someone else to check in with other than all the questions rolling around in my own head! I am delighted to have found this board, and have gleaned a lot of information from all of you. We are all in this together. Thanks again!

• IDCountrygirl1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Pittsburg, good luck with your upcoming surgery and hope all goes well. I am in the Pacific NW so cannot help with dr reference. Like all of us, it is a whirlwind of information to take in and sort out what is best for each one of us. I have found a ton of information on this site, stay tuned and let us know how you are doing.

• fipjoemom
    fipjoemom Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi Pittsburgh,

I just made a consultation appointment with Dr. Craigie for 1/31/17. Best of luck with your surgery.

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thank you Ladies for suggestions! At the brain MRI, they did give meheadphones with my choice of music. They also did the CT scan with contrast, they waited until I was all done too remove the picc line.

The whole process of inserting my picc line was horrible! The PAs, nurses etc were so kind and wonderful at Miriam Hospital in Providence, RI!!

Hugs to all. πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ˜·πŸ˜·πŸ’œπŸ’œ

• Simplicity
    edited January 2017
    Options

Morning ladies. Hope all are well with measurable healing for some.

My group of rogue end stitches finally came out Sunday! WooHoo! Now if this other bothersome would would just join the crowd. Ha.

All bloodwork, and gall bladder ultrasound came back normal :) So...what was that? *sigh*

• jcn16
    edited January 2017
    Options

Simplicity, so glad to hear your good news!