Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2016

Options

Comments

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2017
    Options

cwayman650, speedy surgery and recovery! I was going to suggest eyemask but I may be too late. They usually carry them in hospital gift shops if you find you need one.

Farmerma, looking great! So great to be moving along 😃

KarenAus, I'm so happy you'll get yo sleep in your own bed! Don't over do your activity, you body needs rest to heal.

• MAPBB
    MAPBB Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2017
    Options

Good luck cwayman650, please let us know how it goes. I'll be thinking of you today. Where are you having your surgery?

• taag4
    taag4 Member Posts: 93
    edited January 2017
    Options

slv58 I was wondering in your second stage what was recovery like. No lifting I'm assuming. My second stage will include a breast lift on my natural breast, along with fixing the bulge in my stomach( Im hoping). I see the ps tomorrow so I will see what he says. The reason Im asking is my mom is having a hip replacement done and was going to stay with me for a month until she is able to get around on her own. Now she is saying no because I won't be able to do anything if my surgery is done right away. I would like to tell her she can stay but also don't want to overdo anything myself and end up with another bulge in my stomach. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Tracey

• taag4
    edited January 2017
    Options

Cwayman650 good luck hope everything goes as planned. Speedy recovery and will keep you in my thoughts today.

• Simplicity
    Simplicity Member Posts: 723
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thinking of you today cwayman650!

farmerma and stellamaris, you both look great!

• slv58
    slv58 Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi Tracey, sounds like your having the same stage 2 as I had. I also got my nipple! (.)(.) 😁

I found the surgery much easier than anticipated. Wearing the binder (for the abdominal repair) felt good because of the support it gave - for the first 4 weeks, then it became hot and a bother. I had surgery on a Tuesday and was walking 2 miles on Saturday. I was warned not to lift anything heavy so I was careful about that and didn't vacuum for about 8 weeks- the pushing/pulling motion which was a no-no. Hubby picked up the slack for that as well as grocery lugging.I found I could do pretty much everything with the exception of weight limitations and for some reason cleaning the bathtub was difficult. I flew to visit my daughter exactly a month after and got help with my luggage. There will be some challenged related to the abdominal repair but the surgery itself I found to be easy and bounced back quickly. I hope this helps a bit. Hope your Moms surgery goes well.

Shari

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2017
    Options

Cwayman, thinking of you today!

Farmerma, thank you for posting your photos. You look great! It made me think of a few questions....

To anyone willing to share their experience: How long does the nipple procedure take? How about a lift on healthy breast? Is there much pain with either procedure? If so, how long did the pain last? How much time did you take off from work to get it done?

Thanks ladies! I'm gathering info to assist in planning. Really appreciate your feedback.

J

• KarenAus
    KarenAus Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2017
    Options

When I first found out I had to get a mastectomy I said I didn't want to get reconstruction, that I was quite happy to go flat. Last week I had the recon done and to start with I was quite uncomfortable with the new boobs but this week I have got used to them. I didn't realised I was uncomfortable the way I was.
    I was saying to Alan this is closure, it feels like the end. I still have to get some tweaking done but I just feel finished. Now to get used to these appendages on my chest again.

Anyone else felt this?

Just some of my thoughts.

KarenAus

• jcn16
    edited January 2017
    Options

KarenAus, Thought I'd be ok going flat but read a lot and looked at photos and realized that it would be a constant reminder of cancer. DIEP was the right choice. It's been 7 weeks since surgery and my new breast is still numb but gradually starting to feel more like me. Glad you are doing well

• Matyus
    Matyus Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi all. I recently got diagnosed with DCIS stage 0. I've had 2 lumpectomy and the margins are still positive. Will be going for a third time with sentinel lobe removal. Hoping for clear margins. If this doesn't work I'm considering bilateral masectomy with immediate reconstruction with DIEP. The hardest part has been trying to figure out how to chose a plastic surgeon. How do you find out how many DIEP he has done and how suscessful they have been. I'm thinking of Weill Cornell in NYC. Any suggestions. This is really overwhelming.

• cloudcleared
    cloudcleared Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2017
    Options

SA8PG, so glad you have a nice finale. I am in LA and just can't find any surgeons who have done lots of DIEP. I am so afraid my body would be ruined after having to go through so much.

Who was your PS? Did you have to research bunch to find him? I wish I can find someone local.

• cloudcleared
    edited January 2017
    Options

Maybe we ought to start a new post for 2017?

I have my diagnosis over 4 months ago and lumpectomy over 2 months ago. I am dragging my feet for the 6-week radiation, which was recommended by everyone but the plastic surgeons. I am too concerned about the radiation exposure to my heart, and small chance of blood vessel cancer among other things.

As my anxiety level continues creeping up, can anyone share some thoughts or experience for a DIEP/SIEA journey? I am in LA and having hard time finding one(s) who has done lots of this type of surgeries. NOLA was recommended to me but Dr.S. operates in non-network hospital based what my insurance company. If you have experience with other surgeons in NOLA, please share....Another practice in San Antonio PRMA, any experience you can share is greatly appreciated.

Be healthy and happy

• Annie-B-7-14
    Annie-B-7-14 Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2017
    Options

hi Cloudcleared!

I had DIEP in July with Dr Jaco Festikjian at UCLA. And I am very pleased. He does a lot of these surgeries.

I have also just completed radiation and I'm happy I did.

Good luck to you!

• taag4
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks Slv58 I know what you mean about the bathtub cleaning, but for me thats just a normal thing so I know for sure I won't be doing it while Im recovering lol. My ps didn't say anything about nipples yesterday when I saw him, and I was just so happy he called that I forgot to ask. I guess I was just worried about getting this stomach thing fixed. He said he will be using a mesh to give me extra strength to hold everything in. Surgery is now a go, and now Im waiting for his receptionist to give me a date. I swear she doesn't like me. After seeing the ps he said take your file to sue and she will give you a date. But as usual she couldn't help me and said she would call me later. She is driving me crazy! So are you now done with surgery is there any other steps?

KarenAus I also see this as an end. I said to my ps yesterday that I can't believe how much this has made a difference just in how my clothes fit and the pain I was having across my chest from my mastectomy scar is now gone. Even my lymphedema seems to be doing better . I had to wait a 2 1/2 years after my mastectomy was done since there was chemo and radiation and then waiting to see a surgeon. Now I can't imagine not having my foe boob.

Hope everyone is recovering well!

• IrishLuck
    IrishLuck Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi ladies! I'm new here but unfortunately, not new to breast cancer. I have just been diagnosed with a second recurrance in my left breast which has really been through the wringer. I had two lumpectomies followed by a BMX and reconstruction using fat grafting x4, followed by a recurrence in 2015 and now another recurrence in 2017. It appears as if DCIS was left in my left breast and that it keeps growing into Papillary Carcinomas. I have two new lesions discovered on MRI & a FNB confirmed malignancy. I'm now heading towards getting another complete mastectomy with revision and I'm researching reconstruction options. I love my fat grafted breasts, but can't afford to go through that long process again because it involved travelling out of state. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and I'm researching surgeons here and considering a DIEP. Any of you have surgeons in CA? I saw MYAJAMES photos which look fantastic and wonder who her surgeon is in CA. Do any of you know? I wrote to her but have not heard back. Thanks ladies and if you have any tips for me as I'm heading into my consults with DIEP reconstruction surgeons please let me know.

• MAPBB
    MAPBB Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I'm trying to decide if I should apply for short term disability or use my vacation time. I currently have 2.5 weeks and can go in the hole for another week, if needed. I'm doing a prophylactic BMX with DIEP reconstruction on February 2nd. Will I be able to work from home (computer and phone work) after 2.5 or 3 weeks.? any advice would be helpful. Thanks all

• cloudcleared
    edited January 2017
    Options

Great Annie. Congrats. Did Dr. F do the DIEP after radiation? Which doctor did the mastectomy? Was the incision on the side, which seems to be the UCLA signature way to operate? Hope you're healing well, and quick recovery!

• stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    edited January 2017
    Options

taag4..the PS secretaries must share that attitude. It is probably a prerequisite for the job. I had the same issue. Lol. Glad you are all healing and moving forward. I just have my fipple left and I am on the wait list for the spring. So happy to have the end in sight!

• stellamaris
    edited January 2017
    Options

irishluck, we haven't heard from Mayajames in a while. If you do hear from her please send our best wishes.

• stellamaris
    edited January 2017
    Options

MapBB, you should be okay. I went back to the office after 4 weeks. Good luck.

• cloudcleared
    edited January 2017
    Options

IrishLuck, just a quick search, but you can use it as a starting point to research and interview them: Dr. Gabriel Kind, Dr. Karen Horton and Dr. Charles K. Lee.

• taag4
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks Stellamaris for letting me know you had the same problem I was truly thinking I must had done something to piss this lady off lol.

Mapbb we have our own company that I do all the bookwork for, which I do from home. I was out of the Hospital on a Friday and back doing bookwork on Monday. I would just work at it when ever I felt like it. Hope that helps.

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    edited January 2017
    Options

Matyus, I got my PS recommendation from my BS. You need a PS and BS who work at the same hospital if you have mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time. For the PS experience and success rate, you should ask them directly. As it happens I am in NYC as well and have a great PS who's very experienced with DIEP. I will send you the details by PM.

• Pittsburgh
    Pittsburgh Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2017
    Options

Had my surgery with Dr. Craigie on the 19th and so far, so good. No surprises, everything went as he said it would. My biggest difficulty since the surgery is painful back spasms; flexeril helps somewhat.

• fipjoemom
    fipjoemom Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2017
    Options

Glad to hear all went well with your surgery, Pittsburgh. I am looking forward to my consult next Tuesday with Dr. Craigie. Are you still in the hospital?

• jcn16
    edited January 2017
    Options

Mapbb, everyone heals differently. Most surgeons want you out of work for 6 weeks. Working from home is certainly going to make it easier. Can you take breaks and work a reduced schedule if necessary?

• IrishLuck
    IrishLuck Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks for your reply Cloudcleare. I have heard of those surgeons and met Dr. Horton years ago before I decided on fat grafting for reconstruction. I was considering this team, but had not been thrilled about the reviews for CPMC which is the hospital they work out of. Did you have your surgery with these doctors? Were these the surgeons that MYAJAMES used? I'm looking for more feedback about them and experiences at CPMC. I have a consult with Dr. Gordon Lee at Stanford next week. I hear great things about him, the Stanford hospital and their breast cancer program.

• Pittsburgh
    Pittsburgh Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi Fipjoemom, I'm out of the hospital and back home. And two of my drains are out already, so I'm feeling lucky.

• fipjoemom
    fipjoemom Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2017
    Options

That is great news, Pittsburgh. Best of luck for your continued healing

• KarenAus
    KarenAus Member Posts: 66
    edited January 2017
    Options

Oh dear it seems I am growing pubic hair on one of my flaps. Anyone else?Loopy And how do you deal with it and will it stop growing with time?

Karen Aus