Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2016

Options

Comments

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thank you big sister. I set up the thread for 2017. I am at the hospital andchecked in for my final revision today.

• fipjoemom
    fipjoemom Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thank you jbdayton for setting up the 2017 thread. I am having DIEP surgery on 3/14 and these boards have been so helpful and informative. Good luck with your surgery today.

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hope all went well with your surgery, jbdayton. Hugs and wishes for a fast and full recovery.

I'll check in on the 2017 diep thread for updates on your progress. I'm hoping to add my name to the upcoming surgery list very soon. Meeting with my breast surgeon tomorrow.

Trish

• mustlovepoodles
    mustlovepoodles Member Posts: 1,248
    edited February 2017
    Options

Gotta coupla questions for y'all. I'm having DIEP in NOLA sometimes in the next 2 months. I am a community health nurse, working 20 hours a week. I make home visits in the community, no hands-on patient care or lifting, other than my computer/nurse bag (12-15 pounds). Much of the time I am writing protocols and working online from home (lots of sitting).

Question 1: How long did it take before you could have worked online from home? I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do home visits until I can straighten up. My DH can drive me to my home visits and carry my bag.

I had limited reconstruction at my BMX. It did not turn out well. There is a lot of scarring and a good bit of skin left. By the time I have the DIEP I'll be 14-15 months post-BMX.

Question 2: I've heard that delayed DIEP does not look as natural as immediate DIEP. The doctor in NOLA says that delayed DIEP is doable and he expects a good result, even though it's delayed. So I don't know who to believe. I know for certain that I DO NOT want implants! Fat grafting is fine.

So, can yyou ladies help me? Especially NOLA ladies?

• farmerma
    farmerma Member Posts: 32
    edited February 2017
    Options

Mustlovepoodles - Everybody is different, but I had my DIEP (unilateral), on a Wednesday. I was in the hospital until Sunday, took the next full week to do nothing, and was working from home on the computer by the following Monday, so about 12 days post-op. I was not able to sit at the desk comfortably yet, but was able to work from the recliner on the laptop. My employer is VERY accommodating, so I certainly didn't work 8 hours/day right away, but I got some things accomplished. I think it all depends on your pain level, what pain meds you might still be taking and whether or not you can find a comfortable way to do the work. I had my original lumpectomy with oncoplastic reconstruction in December 2014, radiation in 2015. The results after the radiation were not good, so I opted for the DIEP last year. I guess you would call that "delayed" I'm VERY happy with the look. After getting the nipple done in December, I've waited for some settling and will have the tattoo the end of next month. It definitely looks natural and, like you, I really hated the idea of implants. I'm SO glad to have gone this route. Best of luck to you!

• mustlovepoodles
    edited February 2017
    Options

has any one had Dr Whitten Wise (NOLA) do their DIEP?

• stellamaris
    stellamaris Member Posts: 313
    edited February 2017
    Options

Mustlove, please take the 1st week out of hospital very slowly. You will probably still have drains, and you will get tired easily. The good news is that if you are careful, you will improve exponentially. I started by walking around the block every day, increasing the laps daily. By 3 1/2 weeks post op, I was hiking again. The important thing is to take it slow 1st week out of hospital. You may feel like you can handle more, but it is not worth it. I went back to my office job 4 weeks post op. I really believe the 1st 2 weeks after the surgery are crucial. Give yourself the gift to recuperate at your own pace. Trust me, the business you work for will not appreciate you any more for going back to work too soon.

• jeanwash
    jeanwash Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2017
    Options

Wishing you all strength and healing!!

As I start the process was wondering if any of you used any CHICAGO based doctors. Any recommendations?

• jeanwash
    jeanwash Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2017
    Options

Wishing you all strength and healing!!

As I start the process was wondering if any of you used any CHICAGO based doctors. Any recommendations?

• MAPBB
    MAPBB Member Posts: 20
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi Jeanwash,

I investigated Chicago doctors and didn't find anyone that could guarantee that would not do a TRAM instead of a DIEP and chose to travel to new orleans for my surgery. However, that was 3 years ago and maybe there are more doctors available that specialize in DIEP. I had wanted a doctor that only did breast surgery and had weekly experience with the microsurgery involved in the DIEP.

• jwoo
    jwoo Member Posts: 931
    edited March 2017
    Options

mustlovepoodles-

I did not have Wise, Dr. T was my surgeon. I had my DMX in 2013, skin-sparing. My DIEP was 8/16 and phase 2 was 11/16. They do not look "normal" yet. I'm not sure they ever will, but, they are no divots, which is all I guess I should have hoped for. I work from home at a desk all day, and when I went back to work at 7 weeks, I was completely wiped out and in pain for several more weeks after that. I am also a massage therapist, and don't see myself getting back to that for another few months. I just want to stress how different things can be from person to person, and not to feel stressed or disappointed if you don't bounce back as fast as others.

Question for you ladies:

I have been having poky pains in my upper abdomen, on the left - far side. Almost feels like my rib, or a stitch when you are running, but not quite as sharp. Anyone ever experience this after DIEP? wondering if it is the "internal corset" business... (i wish they'd never done that for so many reasons!) If you've experienced this, please let me know if you figured it out. My drs don't seem concerned, but it is driving me bonkers.

Thanks!

• stellamaris
    edited March 2017
    Options

mustlove, what do you mean by rmthe "internal corset' business? I have to say, 11 months post DIEP, I have no issues. Every once in a while I get a twinge in Mr abdominals, I think this is a result of redirecting the abdominal vein to my reconstructed breast, but also on all no issues.

• mustlovepoodles
    edited March 2017
    Options

I have no idea, stellamaris. That was JWoo's comment.

• cwayman650
    cwayman650 Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2017
    Options

Have any of you done scar massage after the diep surgery to break up the scar tissue under the scar? I have started doing it but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. What kind of difference am I looking for?

• Hammie28
    Hammie28 Member Posts: 29
    edited March 2017
    Options

five days after surgery and I'm doing ok. The new breast is HUGE. Does it reduce much as swelling resolves?

• taag4
    taag4 Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2017
    Options

Help3 I have lymphedema and my surgery helped a lot with the ache and swelling. My surgeon was very unsure of just what would happen but I would say it help a lot. I think without all the scar tissue from my mastectomy being there the fluid build up now has more area to flow through.

Mustlove I work from home on my computer and three days after being home I was back at it. Mind you I was only on the computer for maybe and hour or two. But I was able to keep the important things that had to be done up to date. I definitely wouldn't be on all day but an hour hear and there kept me busy and from being board. I could only watch so much netflix.

Going for my second stage Wednesday, I am so excited. Can't wait for this bulge to be gone in my stomach and to have my breasts finally be closer in size.

• mustlovepoodles
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks, taag. I work part-time, 20hrs/wk, flex-time. That makes it so much easier to keep up. I can work an hour or two, then go lie down for a bit or whatever.

• cparis16
    cparis16 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi all!!!! So I am 16 months post my DIEP Flap reconstruction and I have developed a large area of fat necrosis in the breast that had radiation after surgery. Has anyone else had this? I am scheduled to have surgery at the end of this month to remove the fat necrosis. Then I get to wait for 3 months before they can start the process of refilling it. Has anyone been through this? What should I be expecting with this?

Thanks!!!

• jodyzevan
    jodyzevan Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Can some of you brave women tell me whats normal? I had the DIEP surgery done 9 months ago and experience an uncomfortable upper stomach. Not sure if its bloating , but its really a gross feeling. They just took fat , no muscle and some days i wish i didnt have this done at all. Thoughts???

• Mom4four
    Mom4four Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2017
    Options

Tjodyzevan - I had DIEP 7 months ago and I hav the same thing. I think there is a thread abou it called belly bloat

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi all,

I'm looking for some perspective to help make a decision. I'm scheduled for Phase 2 on May 2 which will include nipple reconstruction on right and slight lift on left so they match a little better. PS's nurse says I'll be under general anesthesia for 1 hour. They'll release me that day. She told me some patients take a few days off because you aren't supposed to wear a bra. I'm hoping to return the next day, but we'll see.

What I'd like to ask for input on is a planned hiking vacation with my 19-year old son 10 days after Phase 2. It's day hikes only and a cabin at night. As of today, my abdomen swelling is the only reason I wouldn't be able to hike if the vacation were now, but the swelling is slowly improving and I'm confident I'll be able to do it by May - we'll just stick to the easy to moderate trails.

Question: should I postpone my Phase 2 until after my hiking vacation? I know we are all different, so here's a little background on me: Age 54, 140 lbs., 5'6", MX and DIEP on right 12/2/16, and I'm small busted - 36" A cup. No problems with anesthesia for DIEP.

Thanks for any advice!

• Falconer
    Falconer Member Posts: 801
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi Ladies- a question for all of you have been through DIEP- did you stay on your AI (and Lupron or Zoladex if you were receiving that too) during the weeks before and after surgery?
  • stellamaris
    edited March 2017
    Options

Falconer, yes, I was on the letrozole before and after. They were giving it to me in the hospital.

• stellamaris
    edited March 2017
    Options

jcn, I have not had my stage 3 (nipple) yet, but I was hiking 4 weeks after DIEP and 4 weeks after left breast reduction. I was doing light after DIEP and intermediate (in Kauai), after left breast reduction.

• stellamaris
    edited March 2017
    Options

Falconer, yes, I was on the letrozole before and after. They were giving it to me in the hospital.

• stellamaris
    edited March 2017
    Options

ps jcn, I am 66, still working. I was a double d prior to the reduction and mx, I think I am probably a C now

• Maya15
    Maya15 Member Posts: 112
    edited March 2017
    Options

Jcn, I would check with your PS if they're doing any liposuction/fat grafting. That's very painful at the donor site and I couldn't do much for at least 2 weeks after. Mine sounds like it was a bigger surgery though, it took 3 hours. I don't know about the lift, but the nipple reconstruction is totally painless because the area is numb.

• jcn16
    jcn16 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2017
    Options

Stella and Maya,

Thanks for your insight. Really looking forward to getting back outside and being more active. My stage two is just the lift and nipple. No fat grafting.

• pezgal
    pezgal Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2017
    Options

Question for ya'll... I had bilateral DIEP surgery on Dec 7 2016. Things have been fine. I will definitely need the Phase 2 touch up surgery as my lefty (the cancer side) is not as relaxed as the right. I blame radiation. Everything is tighter on that side - more tissue was taken, lymph nodes, again, the radiation. Anywho, a few weeks ago I noticed pain in the ribs area under lefty and to the side of lefty. I feel like its probably scar tissue as it seems to crop up right around original BMX drain tube scar, and skimming the underboob line. The whole area is just SO much more sensitive than the right. It doesn't hurt while sleeping on it but it hurts when I get up from laying on it. And, I keep pushing on it and (duh) that makes it hurt more. Anyway, anyone here have issues with scar tissue and what did you do to relieve it? Wonder if PS has to cut it out? Can massaging really break it up or does it just irritate it more? I have appt next month to see both PS and MO. I do think its scar tissue but, of course, my brain go to bone mets. Gah. Ever the alarmist. "I finished herceptin in January so now I'm falling apart." I really hope not....

• bellcrawford
    bellcrawford Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I have my surgery date; May 4th. I'm collecting information about what I can expect once I'm at home. The husband would like to know if/how I'll be able to manage stairs? Our bedroom and bathrooms are on the second floor of our home.