Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thyroid Cancer

Options

Comments

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    edited November 2019
    Options

There is also this article as well:

Women with thyroid cancer have a higher risk of breast cancer

https://www.thyroid.org/patient-thyroid-information/ct-for-patients/january-2016/vol-1-issue-9-p-3/

"The study included women over the age of 18 enrolled in the SEER database between 1973 and 2011. A total of 707,678 women with breast cancer and 53,853 women with thyroid cancer were found in this database. Of the women with thyroid cancer, 1750 women had breast cancer after the diagnosis of thyroid cancer. The 10 year risk for breast cancer after thyroid cancer was calculated and compared to the 10 year risk in the general population. Also, information about the tumor histology, lymph node involvement, the use of radioactive iodine and traditional radiation treatment was available since 1990.

The 10 year risk for developing breast cancer was higher in the patients with a history of thyroid cancer. At age 40-49, the risk for breast cancer in patients with thyroid cancer was 5.6% compared with 1.5% in the general population. For 50-59 year old women, the risk was 12.8% vs. 2.4% in the general population. For 60-69 year-old women, the risk was 7.4% vs. 3.6% in the general population. Women in their 70's had a risk for 11.1% vs. 3.8% in the general population. Breast cancer developed on average 5 years after the thyroid cancer diagnosis. Patients who developed breast cancer after thyroid cancer were more likely to have follicular thyroid cancers than patients with thyroid cancer who did not develop breast cancer. More thyroid cancer survivors have estrogen receptor/progesterone receptor positive cancers and more mixed ductal and lobular invasive breast cancer types than the general population who develops breast cancer. Patients with thyroid cancer who develop breast cancer were younger than the average patient who develops breast cancer (age 58 vs. 61).

WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS OF THIS STUDY?

This study confirms that women who have thyroid cancer are at increased risk for breast cancer, and the cancer is histologically different than the general. The cause of this increased risk was not able to be determined by this study and may be related to a genetic predisposition to cancer itself or environmental factors. These data indicate that women who survive thyroid cancer should have more frequent mammographic screening and breast exams to evaluate for breast cancer than the general population of women."

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    edited November 2019
    Options

I studied this correlation for six years. I found as many studies to challenge this as to support this. The great news is that thyroid cancer is highly curable. So when afflicted with both, thyroid cancer is the lesser of the threat by a huge margin. The association between radiation and thyroid cancer is also disputed. Until they find a reason for their claims, a correlation does not actually help. Once dx with cancer, we are at greater risk of most cancers. Close surveillance is key. Avoiding paranoia for me is another goal.

• Spoonie77
    edited November 2019
    Options

Exactly, close surveillence. Which is something that seems lacking in many patients care, as none of my team informed me of my increased risk for other cancers or specifically Thyroid. It's just info and to me when they look at that many studies in a meta review, covering from the late 90's to 2011, seems like it's a good enough correlation for me to admit the facts they state.

ETA - if not for my family history and my actual Thyroid Cancer symtpoms, I have no idea when I would have discovered this cancer and who knows how far it may have spread or not spread by then. I'm just glad it's been found and I can take care of it now. Just another reason that shows family history and being your own advocate is highly important for teams to pay attention to IMO.

• Spoonie77
    edited November 2019
    Options

Another snippet...

"Furthermore, women with a history of breast cancer are at an increased risk for differentiated thyroid cancer. Despite sometimes conflicting results as to the magnitude and significance of this risk, the above meta-analysis demonstrates a clear association and increase in co-occurrence of these two malignancies. Although further studies are needed, clinicians should consider the increase in risk for second primary cancers when caring for these individuals.

The U.S. Preventative Services Task Force (USPSTF) currently recommends women begin biennial screening mammograms at age 50. For women between 40 to 50 years old, USPSTF recommends discussing the risks versus benefits of screening mammograms (). Women with a previous history of thyroid cancer appear to be at an increased risk for breast cancer, perhaps via genetic susceptibility, a common receptor pathway, or both. Thus these women should be managed accordingly. For women with a history of thyroid cancer without breast cancer risk factors, a conservative but reasonable surveillance strategy would include initiating screening mammography at 40. Whether or not these women require earlier more aggressive surveillance such as annual breast MRIs in addition to mammograms remains to be seen.

While clinicians should be aware of this association in caring for thyroid and breast cancer survivors, the cause of this increase in risk remains unclear. Although surveillance bias is a possible explanation in two indolent malignancies, there is not direct screening in cancer survivors that would explain this increase in risk. This leads one to suspect a pathophysiologic reason for this increase in risk. A number of cell line and clinical studies suggest a common hormonal receptor pathway involving estrogen and/or TSH (, )."

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    edited January 2020
    Options

just thought I would post an update. I put my endo appt off until this month. saw her about a week ago. Just from reading the US report, she said the description of the nodules didn’t sound very concerning. She is seeing me again in four months for another ultrasound and more blood work. She did not want to do the biopsy.

I am fine with this. We’ll see what the next ultrasound looks like and take it from there

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited January 2020
    Options

Olma, what kind of bloodwork? I am being watched too but no bloodwork.

• olma61
    edited January 2020
    Options

She will do a full thyroid panel. These tests measure the function of your thyroid by measuring the thyroid hormones in your blood. Bloodwork is NOT used to diagnose thyroid cancer but it does indicate whether or not your thyroid is functioning properly.

They test your blood for TSH, T3, T4 and I think a couple of other things.

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    edited January 2020
    Options

Bloodwork reflects how well your thyroid is working, but is not a diagnostic tool for cancer. Thyroid nodules are often monitored for years with nothing dramatic ever occurring. A high percentage of all persons have undiagnosed nodules. Definitely not a risk factor for cancer. But once they are found, they feel compelled to monitor. Wish mine had never been found. I received a Tirads 5 and thus had a complete thyroidectomy only to find out it was benign. I feel great on synthetic hormones so no real reason to complain. But would prefer to still have my thyroid. Slowly losing all my optional body parts. Lo

• marijen
    edited January 2020
    Options

Well I don't care what they say, I think with BC it’s more likely to get thyroid cancer.

Sorry you lost your thyroid TB90.

• olma61
    edited January 2020
    Options

Yeah, I really don't want any unnecessary surgery and I wasn't too happy about the thought of getting a needle stuck in my neck for a biopsy, either. I am fine with "watch and wait" in my case.

Yes, blood work definitely doesn't diagnose thyroid cancer, in fact, don't most people with thyroid cancer have normal blood work, that's what I read?

But, I haven't had a thyroid panel since 2018 so she will do one at my next visit.

Best of luck to all. : )

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,582
    edited January 2020
    Options

Question for the thyroid ladies - they are running this panel on me too this month due to some things I've complained about recently. My body temperature runs almost a full degree less than 'normal' which I understand can be normal for me. I tolerate cold well and prefer being cold, and have low-end blood pressure. Do the rest of you have a similar temperature situation?

I had a thyroid panel run in 2006 after 3 years of fatigue, probably brought on by overtraining. They said it was all 'in the normal range' and that was that but I never saw the numbers (was moving).

• olma61
    edited January 2020
    Options

Sondra - My temp is always normal in the doctors office and my blood pressure is high rather than low.

I cannot tolerate heat very well, I always dress in layers so I can take things off if I get too hot, but I think that's a menopause thing rather than a thyroid thing.

• marijen
    edited January 2020
    Options

My temp is always low and I have cold intolerance. Low temp is normal for hypothyroidism. If you take your temp every morning before you get out if bed and it is low let your doc know. Sometimes the tests can be normal and you still have thyroid disease. Some doctors are very clueless about the thyroid. I know from experience.

• marijen
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hypothyroidism signs and symptoms may include:

• Fatigue
    • Increased sensitivity to cold
    • Constipation
    • Dry skin
    • Weight gain
    • Puffy face
    • Hoarseness
    • Muscle weakness
    • Elevated blood cholesterol level
    • Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
    • Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
    • Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods
    • Thinning hair
    • Slowed heart rate
    • Depression
    • Impaired memory
    • Enlarged thyroid gland (goiter)
  • Spoonie77
    edited January 2020
    Options

all of my thyroid labs were in normal range (including Thyroglobulin & Calcitonin) yet i still had thyroid cancer. In both lobes despite imaging only showing it in the right one prior to my Thyroidectomy. Yes most people have undiagnosed nodules but better safe than sorry IMHO. Good luck ladies.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/thyroid-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/how-diagnosed.html

• marijen
    edited January 2020
    Options

Spoonie, did you have any new symptoms before they found thyroid cancer? Like pain or nausea ?

• Spoonie77
    edited January 2020
    Options

Marijen, I had new itching in my neck/throat and I was even more tired and more out of breath. I had chalked it up to starting 5mg Tamoxifen but when I went off of it and these didn't improve I knew it was unrelated to the med. These symptoms started about 4 months before the first nodule was found accidentally due to a severe allergic reaction to Zoladex. This caused my neck to swell so a Ultrasound was ordered. That's how the first discovered it. They then monitored it for 3 months but due to my family history of it I insisted on a biopsy and it came back cancerous.

• marijen
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thank you Spoonie77, I do remember that pic of your swollen neck. I'm so glad you pushed for a biopsy!

• marijen
    edited February 2020
    Options

Well my thyroid antibodies came out high, free t4 a little high, free t3 low. I'm waiting on my new naturopath dr to explain what's next. Thyroid cancer is one possibility with high antibodies and otther unpleasant diseases. Maybe next week I'll hear something. It makes me mad that with two endocrinologists I never got these tests.

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited February 2020
    Options

marijen, you are right about having normal thyroid panel and still having thyroid disease. I have been treated for hypothyroidism for many years and while my PCP always does labs, she treats by my symptoms. I am highly reactive to Synthroid and it only takes a very short time before I know my levels are off.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 677
    edited November 2020
    Options

So of course now I have thyroid cancer too! Nodule was seen on PET and was irregular on US, biopsy positive for papillary thyroid cancer. I finished my chemo in September for recurrence of TNBC , ALND in October and just started radiation! I unfortunately still had residual cancer in nodes so after radiation will also start Xeloda. Honestly I know the thyroid cancer is not as significant as breast but c'mon can't we catch a break sometimes! So now I have to squeeze in a thyroidectomy before I start Xeloda. I am anxiously waiting to start Xeloda because I am a little concerned since I was not NED at surgery. MO did confirm there is a known correlation between breast and thyroid cancer.

Question, did everyone have a total thyroidectomy or hemi? I have a small nodule on the opposite side that is too small to biopsy. Ugh I hate to be on thyroid meds forever but I don't want to regret not getting a total either:( Thanks for listening

• GlobalGal
    GlobalGal Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2020
    Options

Cookie 54, so sorry you are having to go through all this.

In my case, I had a total thyroidectomy for papillary thyroid cancer--along with removal of 3 central neck lymph nodes.

In the lymph nodes, they discovered metastatic breast cancer.

Tests also showed I had the BRAF V600E gene mutation, which is associated with more rapid, more aggressive papillary thyroid cancer growth. Apparently, ALL papillary thyroid cancers should be tested for the BRAF V600E gene mutation as patients may benefit from more aggressive therapy.

I was already on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, so taking a daily thyroid pill was not new or problematic for me; however, I did need a higher dosage as I no longer had a thyroid gland and to prevent recurrence of thyroid cancer (called TSH suppression).

GlobalGal

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited November 2020
    Options

cookie54, I had a total, but it was before the BC. Two different types of cancer found - a different one on each side of thyroid! Perhaps they can do a biopsy on the smaller node while they have it in sight while they are doing surgery. Like GlobalGal said, they will need to test what they remove and then you'll know more about treatment. All the best for surgery, treatment, and beyond!

• cookie54
    edited November 2020
    Options

Thanks. Ok so I too have the BRAF gene mutation with an indeterminate path result. Although endo said lots of biopsies come up indeterminate and that is why they run genetics also. I know the total thyroidectomy is most likely the right thing to do I'm just not thrilled about taking synthroid! How did you do when you started meds? Any issues getting adjusted?

Thanks for your response and well wishes !

• GlobalGal
    GlobalGal Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2020
    Options

Dear Cookie 54,

I was on a low dose Levothyroxine (for hypothyroidism) before my complete thyroidectomy. Afterwards, I was tested several times and my dosage adjusted upwards until I finally reached the proper level of thyroid suppression (to reduce risk of recurrence).

My only (very minor) complaint about thyroid medication is that you aren't supposed drink coffee (or eat) for an hour after you take your morning pill. My solution: When I get up in the night to go to the bathroom (around 3:00 am), I take my levothyroxine with a glass of water, then jump right back into bed. So, when I wake up later on in the morning, I can immediately enjoy a HUGE mug of hot coffee with cream.

Wishing you a great outcome with your thyroid surgery.

GlobalGal

• cookie54
    edited November 2020
    Options

Thanks GlobalGal! Oh yea for me it's ALL about that morning cup of coffee lol. I will have to come up with a similar solution. Wishing you all the best!

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited November 2020
    Options

I take Levothyroxine and it took a bit of monitoring before hitting the correct dose, but it does not vary much now. Small pill once a day and I don't worry about time of day I take it or what I take it with.

• cookie54
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thanks ceanna, sounds like it was a fairly easy adjustment!

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited April 2021
    Options

Ladies

Hoping someone can give me your thoughts . 4 yrs ago March I finished treatment for IDC stage 2 with

1 postive node . Have faired well for the past 4 yrs with normal issues from letrozole. Fast forward to 2020 my Hashimoto(which I did not know I even had ) suddenly turned into Graves. Apparently a bout with the flu turned in a auto immune that caused this switch, 80 pound weight loss and the fact my thyroid was now 8 times normal size with numbers off the chart they decided best treatment was to removed thyroid . 3 weeks ago I had my thyroid removed with Drs all telling me things looks great did not see any signs of cancer. Pathology report comes back and damm if they didn't find a tiny spot of 2 mm Papillary in the Pathology . Drs said with it being that small they never would have removed it based on it alone , even if they knew it was there . There was no sign of it in all the test they did and they did a ton of test before removing my thyroid . Might add no sign of spreading, clear margins.

Last week I went to my normal ONC appt and he ran all the normal test, said blood work looks great and not a bit concerned about what they found in the pathology report of the thyroid, they did a CA15-3 test and result came back today high at 31 which is a tad high they like it under 30, I have had results in 19 to 20 range for last 18 mts.

I'm taking Synthroid and calcium supplements since entire thyroid was removed, Im hoping with the surgery less then 3 weeks out and the new medicine that would be the cause of the higher then usual test results on the CA15-3. Have any of you had any experience with this test and what conditions can cause higher then normal results .

Thanks for your help

• Digezy
    Digezy Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2021
    Options

@Skittlegirl I had a mastectomy only on my right side late June 2021. Had revision surgery 5 weeks ago. My calcium level in my blood has been elevated all year so my oncologist ordered a CT scan and bone scan. CT came back with swollen bilateral axillary lymph nodes. Also my thyroid lit up. My oncologist wants to see me first thing Monday morning. I had 3 sentinel nodes removed during June's surgery and they were free of cancer. I'm scared it's cancer again. My scans were clear for all kinds of cancers (brain,lung,anything in pelvis or abdomen). I have no illnesses or infection or conditions that would cause enlarged lymph nodes. anyone have any experience with this? I’m being referred to an endocrinologist for possible parathyroid condition.
    thanks!