Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Thyroid Cancer

Options

Comments

• rrshannon
    rrshannon Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2019
    Options

GlobalGal: glad you found some documentation and hope you get some answers. Please share any thing more that you find out. Thinking of you.

I have been scheduled for my left thyroidectomy on July 5th. Hoping for an all clear of the nodes that are on my left side but not looking forward to adding another mediation to my daily list. I have never been on long term meds and this will now be two meds I take daily the third I am taking for my adrenals they are starting to wean me off of in hopes that I will not have to take it long term.

• rrshannon
    edited July 2019
    Options

GlobalGal hope you are doing well and treatment is going good.

I finally had my left thyroid removed last Friday and just found out today it is cancerous. :( Going back in for surgery Monday to have the right side removed.

If anyone knows of a good oncologist in Southern California that is an expert on Thyroid, Breast, Colon and Uterine cancers I would love some suggestions. :) love my Gynecology Oncologist and my Breast Oncologist but looking for yet another consult/opinion.

• vidal1993
    vidal1993 Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hello Everyone:

My wife will have two surgeries next week (27th)--a lumpectomy, and a full thyroidectomy. She has Stage 2 breast cancer, and papillary thyroid cancer.

Anyone in a similar boat?

Can anyone share their experiences recovering from the thyroidectomy? How long was it? How painful? How difficult? Anything they wish their partner/husbands knew about it?

She is experiencing tremendous anxiety, as she lost her mother to thyroid cancer. Her mother had a thyroidectomy at the same age (43).

We have two children, aged 6 and 4 (daughters).

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited September 2019
    Options

Vidal, all the best for successful surgeries for your wife next week. Being anxious is normal at this waiting stage, especially knowing her mother's situation, but a lot has changed in the years since her mother's diagnosis. I had both surgeries, just not at the same time! I had only minor pain from the thyroidectomy and only a few days of laying low, but did lose my voice temporarily (that's why I hope you have an experienced surgeon for each procedure--thyroids are close to lots of nerves). She probably won't be allowed to lift for a bit so you will be a big help there!! And depending on the extent of her BC surgery, she may need other assistance. You are kind to be considering what help you can provide her. Her surgeons will be better able to fill you in on her specific needs and restrictions. Papillary thyroid cancer can have great success as can BC. I'm almost 10 years out from thyroid surgery and 5 years out from BC. All the best to her (and you) and please let us know if you have any questions--and keep us updated!!

• GlobalGal
    GlobalGal Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2019
    Options

Dear Vidal1993,

I felt low for a few days after my complete thyroidectomy, but recovered within the week.

Pain: They gave me opioids for pain. I took just two pills only to help with sleep and was constipated for 6 days, so no more pain medication for me!

Surgical Tape: The worst complication was the surgical tape they used to cover the wound. I must be sensitive because I broke out in hives on my neck. Awful!

Plan to have lots of soft foods from yogurt to scrambled eggs to soups and plenty to drink on hand.

Some 3 months after the thyroidectomy, I had RAI treatment (you swallow a radioactive pill) as they can't remove every last bit of thyroid tissue during surgery. It involves a low iodine diet for 10 days ahead of time as well as not being within 6 feet of family and friends for a few days afterwards. A week later, I had a full body scan which showed no evidence of thyroid left —not only in my neck, but also anywhere else in my body.

Best of luck with the two surgeries!

GlobalGal

• rrshannon
    edited September 2019
    Options

I had my double mastectomy in April, with some complications had to have another surgery in June to put one expander put back in. Then July 12th I had a left thyroidectomy which was cancer so they did the right on July 22. Strangely enough the 2nd thyroid surgery was easier but I did have a lot of coughing for a few weeks it was better when eating soft foods. Turning my head was tough the first week after the first surgery but had no issue after the second surgery. Weirdly enough I had an ear infections a week and a half after the first and I am still having some mall issues with my ear.

I had a previously lumpectomy in 2003 for my first BC. Are they keeping her over night for the thyroid surgery? They monitored my calcium for 24 hours before letting me go home. Wishing her all the best and successful surgeries.

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited September 2019
    Options

My PCP told me that estrogen affects your thyroid function, so it seems to me that they could be related.

• vidal1993
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thank you very much.

We are getting nervous as we prepare for Friday. Luckily, my parents are able to come and help. It appears that experiences vary in terms of recovery.

I expect my wife will be in a lot of discomfort in the initial post-op period.

Does anyone have any tips for what to tell the kids?

We have a four year old who is very sweet but still a bit clingy sometimes, waking up in the night asking for mom. The six year old understands better.

Mom is not going to be at their beck-and-call for some time.

RRshannon, yes they will be keeping her overnight, possibly for 2 nights.

Yes Yogatyme, I think there could be a relation between the two cancers. Apparently the research is developing on this point.

• Yogatyme
    edited September 2019
    Options

Vidal, a friend had thyroidectomy & radiation for thyroid cancer about 2 yrs ago. There were some initial eating challenges but he says the primary issue post-operatively was fatigue. He was 66 at time of surgery so the fatigue may not be as bad for your wife. Hoping for the best for her.

• debbew
    debbew Member Posts: 237
    edited September 2019
    Options

Here is another study acknowledging the association. Among other possible factors, it mentions iodine deficiency.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6034293/

Wishing the best for you and your wife, Vidal.

• vidal1993
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thank you.

She had the surgery last Friday--nearly 6 hours. The lumpectomy first.

Then the thyroid surgeon told me that the cancer had spread to her neck. A neck dissection was performed and the lymph nodes in the neck were removed.

Apparently it is only with surgery they can determine how far it has really spread, and I was surprised and concerned to learn of how far it had gone.

We see the Thyroid Surgeon tomorrow, praying and hoping for the best.

• ceanna
    edited October 2019
    Options

vidal, sorry your wife experienced more extensive surgery than expected. Our thoughts are with you both. Please update us when you can. You may want to prepare a list of questions in advance to ask the surgeon tomorrow and take notes. It's hard to remember everything when you are hearing so much! All the best. Ceanna

• Yogatyme
    edited October 2019
    Options

Videl, ceanna is right about preparing questions. I asked to record all my visits which was immensely helpful bc I could review and better understand all that was said. Hoping for the best for your wife and you.

• rrshannon
    edited October 2019
    Options

videl, sorry she had to go through so much. I hope she recovers quickly,

• vidal1993
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thank you Ceanna. We saw the thyroid surgeon today, and he removed my wife's neck drain which made her feel better. She's coming along. The surgeon said that we would not have the pathology report for 1-2 weeks, and so presumably at that time we will learn more about the upcoming treatment and prognosis. Thyroid radiation treatment is definitely coming.

The surgeon seemed confident, though, and I'm taking that as a good sign. He said he removed all of the lymph nodes beside her trachea. From the research I've done online, it appears that thyroid cancer is highly treatable even if there is metastasis.

We will also meet the breast cancer surgeon on the 17th. I spoke to her right after surgery, and she said she removed 2 lymph nodes and maybe more. My wife told me that the bandages are starting to bother her.

Thanks again to you and rrshannon and Yogatyme for sending good wishes.

• rrshannon
    edited October 2019
    Options

Glad she got the neck drains out. Drain are never fun. Hoping for positive results for the upcoming ptahology.

• Yogatyme
    edited October 2019
    Options

Those darned drains are a pain for sure. Now they are out your wife will start feeling much better. She is lucky to have you.....you are clearly “all in” for her and there is no greater gift from a spouse. I hope her recovery continues to go well and that pathology reports are positive.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 479
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi everyone. I have a swollen lymph node under my chin for 2 months now. A great deal of difficulty swallowing, too. Feels like muscle spasms in my throat. No fever. About 2 months ago I had gone to the thoracic doc to check on a pulsating lump near my collarbone and jugular vein. We were worried it was an aneuryism. I was given the all clear sign and they said it was just my anatomy. Hmm, that was a recent change then. Anyway I saw my neuro Friday. I blamed the swallowing difficulties and swollen lymph node on MS. Not so fast, no MS does not cause swollen lymph nodes, but yes it can cause swallowing difficulties.

She pulled up the CT scan on the jugular and told me they DID NOT check surrounding tissues, so that pea size pulsating lump was not investigated properly. It was shortly after the CT scan with dye that I noticed the chin lymph node. The tech pushed that dye fast and it burned terribly. Co-relation to lymph node swelling? I don't know. Neuro did run blood test to check thyroid. Obviously I am concerned about recurrence of BC or thyroid cancer. Next step she ordered either CT scan or Ultrasound, she wasn't sure and wanted to research it. I actually have an appointment with the MO on Wednesday. I was wondering if anyone can shed light on these symptoms? Can BC metastisize into chin lymph nodes even though my sentinel lymph nodes were clear? Can lumps near clavicle that pulsate be cancerous? The chin node is same side as BC. The clavicle is opposite side. I was diagnosed with Encapsulated Papillary BC. Is that the co-relation that I've been reading about regarding Papillary Thyroid Cancer? Lots of questions and as usual stressed waiting on testing.

• vidal1993
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks Yogatyme for your kind words. I will keep everyone posted. We are very nervous as we await the pathology reports, which we expect to get on the 22nd.

Anyone here done Thyroid radiation? What was the experience like? How did it feel, side-effects, effectiveness, etc.

What about radiation treatment generally? Please share your experiences and comments.

Thank you in advance.

• ceanna
    edited October 2019
    Options

Irishlove, sorry you're experiencing such difficulties, but glad your doctors are running more tests. The swelling node under your chin is pretty far distant from thyroid so I don't know the connection. I once had a salivary gland stone, but that was on the upper jaw, but I suppose the same thing could happen on the lower jaw. All the best, and keep us updated when you can. Ceanna

• ceanna
    edited October 2019
    Options

Vidal, hope your wife is doing well, but sorry you have to wait so long for test results.

I'm not sure when you refer to radiation if you are referring to having radioactive iodine after thyroid surgery or another type of radiation. I had the RA iodine a few weeks after thyroid surgery and a few days later a scan to see if there were any other areas where the cancer had spread. The RAI is only picked up if there is cancer spread. It's been a number of years, and maybe the process has changed. All I remember is that for maybe 2 days I couldn't be close to other people or pets and I couldn't have my thyroid meds before for a period of time before the RAI (which led to fatigue). I don't remember having any other physical symptoms or problems. If you have any questions about that, please ask. Sorry if you were asking about another type of radiation treatment for thyroid.

• vidal1993
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thank you Ceanna.

Yes- I agree it is a long time to wait for the pathology tests.

While I am not certain, I suspect she will also have the RAI. The surgical reports confirm that the thyroid cancer has metastasized.

This gives me an idea of what is in store.

Thanks.

• vidal1993
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hello Everyone:

We got the pathology reports, and spoke to the surgeons as part of a follow-up. We expect my wife will start chemotherapy soon (Nov. 15). Her breast cancer is a Grade 3 Tumour, and 2 out of 2 lymph nodes were positive for cancer, I believe with "macrometastases." She is ER positive, PR positive, HER2 negative.

Surgeons have recommended she have a full axillary gland removal at some point after the chemo and other treatment she will undergo. We understand the breast cancer is Stage 2, possibly Stage 3, or lymph positive.

Anyone want to share their experiences with chemotherapy? Pick or Port? She will have FEC-D chemotherapy. We understand it will be 3 by 3 sessions of 1 drug, and then 9 sessions of another.

Thank you in advance to all who reply.

• berries
    berries Member Posts: 80
    edited October 2019
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear your wife is going through this but she is so lucky to have you!

While chemo is difficult (I had my first last week), it actually isn't as bad as I made it up in my head. I was able to work out/run slowly and go back to work only a few days after and I feel great now. She will likely be tired, but nothing she can't handle!

Since she is ER/PR+ (like me), she will go on hormone-blocking therapy and radiation due to involved lymph nodes after chemotherapy. She can do it! It's a lot to take in and I'm sure hard for the caregiver, but it will make you both so strong.

Please reach out if you need anything. We are here for you! Stay strong! x

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hi all, I am waiting to see an endocrinologist after having a thyroid ultrasound that revealed nodules. My appt is Dec. 3rd so, while I wait, I thought I would search and see who else with thyroid issues was on the board here.

After my last PET scan, radiologist remarked that my right lobe looked enlarged, so my oncologist recommended an ultrasound. I have four nodules, described as "heterogenous" with "peripheral hypervascularity", no calcifications, and no nodule has a dimension larger than 1.3 cm. Two of them are under 1 cm.

The ultrasound report doesn't give a TIRADS score but just recommends a fine needle aspiration.

I think chances are these aren't cancerous? But maybe I am being too hopeful. Waiting so long for the appointment and then the referral for biopsy is not easy, it is anxiety-inducing. I am not looking forward to the possibility of surgery, either.

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hi Olma - Sorry you're here too. My sole nodule was less than 0.9mm but it's cancer. I think the majority of nodules (~85% are benign) but the other 5-15% come back suspicious or cancerous after FNA. I hope yours comes back benign. Keep us posted.

There's another thread about Thyroid Cancer too.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/142/topics/814415?page=3#post_5471828

• olma61
    edited November 2019
    Options

Thank you, Spoonie. And sorry about your diagnosis, too. I see people are sort of debating the "thyroid cancer & breast cancer" connection. Something I read said BC patients do have an elevated risk of thyroid cancer -- 1.55 X greater than the general population.

Guess I can't "fortune tell" anything from this US report! Ah, the waiting is awful. And I will check out the other thread too, thanks again.

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    edited November 2019
    Options

They should provide a Tirads score. However, my Tirads 5 was benign. The vast majority of nodules are benign. Nodules are so common. The fact that thyroid nodules are so common as is BC, lends itself to assuming a correlation. But so is hair on our heads and no one assumes that suggests BC. But just a minute, given BC is far less common amongst (bald) men, perhaps there is something to this

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    edited November 2019
    Options

TB90 - A good informative article on the connection between the two, if anyone is interested.

It outline the various risk factors, stratifications, clinical research, etc regarding the known fact that women with BC are at an increased risk for Thyroid Cancer and vice versa women with Thyroid Cancer are at an increased risk for BC.

The Breast-Thyroid Cancer Link: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis via NCBI

"Women with a prior history of differentiated thyroid cancer are at an increased risk for breast cancer. Furthermore, women with a history of breast cancer are at an increased risk for differentiated thyroid cancer. Despite sometimes conflicting results as to the magnitude and significance of this risk, the above meta-analysis demonstrates a clear association and increase in co-occurrence of these two malignancies. Although further studies are needed, clinicians should consider the increase in risk for second primary cancers when caring for these individuals."

"While further work is needed to correlate thyroid cancer rates and breast cancer hormone receptor status, clinicians should counsel their patients on the increased risk of thyroid cancers among breast cancer survivors."

• olma61
    edited November 2019
    Options

I went to the closest free standing imaging center that accepted my insurance, I just wanted to make my oncologist happy and get the imaging done with the least bit of fuss. It didn't seem like a very high quality place, which might explain the lack of detail and TIRADS score in the report.

I figured the results were going to clear me, because my thyroid being enlarged is not new, it's been slightly larger on the right side for more than 20 years and my PET scan report doesn't describe any metabolic activity, only the "enlarged" appearance. I don't know if I've had nodules all this time because I've only had thyroid blood testing done, never imaging. If these things have been around for the entire 20 years, I guess I am okay! But I do not know that for sure.

Thanks for the reassurance and glad yours did turn out to be benign!

Baldness, well that explains it! I am not a man but I HAVE been bald before. ;-D