Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ruptured Implant

Options
2»

Comments

• Bellz
    Bellz Member Posts: 10
    Options

I do have silicone. I have printed out the warranty information :) Yay for that. I am going to have both sides done. I'm going to make sure we do both side...otherwise they might turn out different. Not excited but at least I know that pain is not cancer!!

• bikefam
    bikefam Member Posts: 98
    Options

Bellz, Hopefully everything goes well for you. A bump in the road of bc that never really ends. Good luck.

• donnadio
    donnadio Member Posts: 674
    Options

All the best to you and Bellz. I will say that the replacement surgery for me has been a struggle in healing. OF all things, i have a burning thigh issue and started after my surgery, Then with the implant infection and one having to come out I just am having a hard time recovering and just do not get it. I do hope all goes well for this is a journey that keeps on going!!! Keep posting and here for you!

Donna

• Bellz
    Bellz Member Posts: 10
    Options

Donna your process sounds like my original one. I somehow contracted an infection after the tissue expanders were in place. I was scheduled for my permanent implants but that got delayed. I was in the hospital for about 5 days on iv antibiotics. I see a plastic surgeon friday at 3pm. My old one moved away so this will be someone new. I am fine with that as I wasn't totally satisfied with some of the scars left by the plastic surgeon. I thought since they did plastic surgery unlike a general surgeon there sutures and scars would be less visible. Today I must have overdone it as my pain is pretty intense and the bulge on the ruptured implant is more pronounced. So thankful for this site!!

• donnadio
    Options

So sorry Beliz! It is such a journey that keeps on going. I do think that the infection did something to me as I am not bouncing back to my usual self at full throttle and going to PT for a leg nerve issue that for some reason occured right after my surgery of implants going in? Yes, you can overdo it and just rest as you have been through alot and having a infection to boot!Wish I knew how truly long it takes to heal from a surgery as no one really can answer that. My implant out has tissue still healing and not rushing to do it until after January for another try. Please keep me posted. I would imagine you are still on some antibiotic though since hospital visit? Keep strong!!!

Donna

• 1965sally
    1965sally Member Posts: 29
    Options

Hi everyone. I haven't been on this forum in almost 10 years! So glad it's still here and as helpful as ever. I had a unilateral mastectomy and delayed reconstruction. I just learned through MRI that my 11-year-old silicone implant has ruptured. I am trying to decide whether to replace it with saline or with silicone again. I had thought that maybe if I did saline, I would be able to leave it in longer and possibly avoid more surgery (I'm 56 years old), but from what I've been reading that doesn't seem to be the case. It sounds like a saline implant still has about the same lifespan and would still need replacing even if it deflates. I'm not terribly concerned about aesthetics, just trying to save money and surgery. I've had enough surgery!

Any perspectives or advice on this?

• donnadio
    Options

Hi Sally!

I went through this decision a few years back as I had a leakage in one of my implants after eleven years.My initial surgery was reconstructive back in 2009! I did not know the life span on implants at that time but the physical aspect of it all was very impt to me as I had a bilateral MX.

My implant leakage was found during a MRI because of a lung module about 3 years ago and had them replaced with saline as origianlly were silicone. I had an infection with this surgery with one and hesitated for two year to replace it!!! I finally had the other one removed about a year and a half ago and use prothesis in bra as I am older than you and just tired of going around this issue and physically feel better without them.

My decision was based on not sure if implants were good to have in my body as i have a low immune system. I do not want more surgeries and just feel fine with my prothesis and look ok with my look!

It is truly your own decision and this is just my perspective. I am 65 and kind of feeling my body and my freedom to be! Back then, it was a emotional time and did not think through on it all long term! Hope this helps

Donna

• 1965sally
    Options

Thanks, Donna!

• Charlotte57
    Charlotte57 Member Posts: 6
    Options

How is the recovery after replacement of a ruptured silicone implant. I’m 7 years out from a double mastectomy and just found out my right implant has ruptured!

• Charlotte57
    Charlotte57 Member Posts: 6
    Options

what did you end up doing about the rupture. I had my initial DMX at City of Hope in California. I did live in Tucson at the time. I live in Arizona still and see an oncologist in Tucson. I have a rupture & don’t know whether to return to City if Hope or do the replacement in Tucson.

• 1965sally
    Options

Hi Charlotte. My recovery from replacing my one implant was very easy. I had the surgery in May and hardly remember it now. They opened one edge of the scar I already had and restitched it. There was some slow healing because I was sensitive to the bandage they first put on, but it was smooth sailing after that.

I went with silicone because the doctor said that they have a more natural feel which would be important for symmetry with my natural breast on the other side. Saline can feel harder and rounder, I guess.