Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Suffered from tinnitus permanent?

Options
meow13
meow13 Member Posts: 1,363

Well I have been off exemestane for 6 months and no relief from the constant ringing. But like a miracle I went on a long plane flight actually 2 flights and had the usual pain and guess what the ear ringing is gone. I am trying to enjoy every moment of the silence. I really hope it is cured I am afraid the ringing will come back.

Has anyone ever have this happen? What a miracle.

Comments

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited March 2016
    Options

Maybe it was just fluid in your inner ear. I get tinnitus taking meds. So have it most the time, I try not to focus on it. Took Dramamine and that must have dried it up for a while. I've had it for twenty years. It's awful. Mostly when I'm laying down

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,317
    edited March 2016
    Options

I don’t know what silence sounds like--I’ve had tinnitus as far back as I can remember. I suffered from frequent ear infections aa a kid, and it’s possible that the various antibiotics they handed out back then like jellybeans were ototoxic to some degree. Other meds that cause tinnitus are acetaminophen, aspirin and antihistamines--all of which I have had to take long-term. I’ve simply gotten used to it. But when it gets bothersome, I’ve found that the mineral manganese (10mcg) eases it considerably, without possibly interfering with AIs like some herbs or inadvertently protecting cancer cells like antioxidant supplements.

• meow13
    edited March 2016
    Options

Ringing is back. At least I had temporary relief.

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700
    edited March 2016
    Options

I've had tinnitus off and on throughout my life. Never figured out the causes. It's worse now than usual.I deal with it somewhat like the floaters on my cornea. They are a pain when I notice them. Basically I try to ignore both as much as possible.

• Maggerle
    Maggerle Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2016
    Options

I've had tinnitus for about 20 years or so...It started when I had a root canal and cap done on the left side (where the tinnitus is)...I'm never w/o it, but sometimes it roars louder than other times...I've found certain foods, etc. aggravate it...Most noticeable, cheese, wine and chocolate...go figure! However, if I have some cheese and a glass or two of red wine, followed up by some chocolate, I'm so happy I don't care if my ear is ringing lol...Also, I've noticed when the barometric pressure is high, I suffer more w/the roaring...Subsequently, I much prefer Summertime...

Maggie

• Maggerle
    Maggerle Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2016
    Options

Good for you kayb...Sometimes a girl just has to do what a girl has to do lol...

Maggie

• kiks1
    kiks1 Member Posts: 118
    edited March 2016
    Options

Kayb, I agree that the tropics always made my tinnitus go away; between the sound of the ocean waves and crickets. But if your dr does end up writing you a prescription, can you please tell him to submit a recommendation for it to become the gold standard of care for tinnitusLoopy.

I have noticed my tinnitus since 5 years ago because I was dealing with ear issues. It has become a part of my life now and even when I do notice it, it is not distressing. Five years ago, I was on the tinnitus forum because I was about to lose my mind over it, somehow, over the years I had habituated fairly well. I just finished my 3rd chemo infusion but have not noticed that it has gotten any worse. In fact, this cancer is keeping me so preoccupied that little else gets my attention these days.

Meow, What I have learnt from tinnitus support forum is that 99 percent of sufferers eventually habituate. I didn't even come close to feeling fine till almost 2 years later but I was in a deep depression when I first noticed it. It will be a non issue eventually

• meow13
    edited March 2016
    Options

I am back from my trip and ringing is much better, I still have it but much less noticable.

• AKJ
    AKJ Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have tinnitus that started during chemo 2 years ago. My MO said my chemo shouldn't have caused it but I know it did. It's low grade but constant. I've gotten used to it. It gets worse when I'm tired and stressed. I finally got a hearing test to see if there was hearing loss associated with it but luckily my hearing is normal. Guess I'll just have to live with it.

• katykids
    katykids Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have it too. Although, my ENT was kind enough to share that he also has it! :) He also told me I have tube dysfunction and can get ear tubes. Two out of my 3 kids had them. Heck, I had them as a kid. But no more surgeries, thanks. I have been going to sleep trying to listen to boring podcasts to drown out the ringing. Or meditations. Do the side effects never end?