Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Joining the Stage IIIC club With a Fearful Heart

Options
1235»

Comments

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    edited May 2017
    Options

Broomie, I read a lot of treatment stories here but yours raises many more red flags than most, and I believe you'll need more than diet and prayer to get you through. Heart damage is surely a slight risk compared to the good that chemo would do. And rads are easy compared to the other treatments and offer some "insurance" against missed cancer cells. As for hormone treatment, that's pretty standard and mostly well tolerated by post-menopausal women. Perhaps you'll hear from others here, but good luck with whatever you decide.

• TectonicShift
    TectonicShift Member Posts: 102
    edited July 2020
    Options

• Broomie2
    Broomie2 Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thank you both for your replies. First, there were no Family or Primary care doctors in the small city that we moved to that was taking on new patients. The cancer clinic is busy with only three oncologists; I'm with the Head onc now after being not followed up properly by another doctor. My new onc stated that due to the strong dose I would require...he would have to consult his peers as to whether my heart could tolerate treatment. He wasn't very positive, so the next day I called and told him not to bother. In my mind if he required consultation, it was too much of a risk. A week later I called to make an app't regarding hormone blockers. He agreed to the prescription and as an after thought, asked if I would want rad therapy. The Rad Onc that I saw last year emphasized the 'long term side effects' to the point where I was impressed negatively. There is probably a better clinic in a larger city but travel conditions are not the best. It tis what it tis and trying to make the best of it.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited May 2017
    Options

Broomie,

Rads can get local recurrence rate down to less than 10%! My kick a$$ radiation oncologist was so encouraging (but realistic) to meet with. Don't settle for a negative Nelly. Please don't let the 10 - 25% of people who have issues scare you off. It may not even be that high as people who sail through don't get on line to complain about it. It's not without risks but it is highly successful.

I declined first time around then recurred with 10/14 nodes (yikes) no sign of it anywhere else. I did surgery and my surgeon was so confident she got it it all she suggested radiation first then chemo. I applied Aquaphor when getting dressed after each treatment. Only had some peeling at the end. I was sore when done for 2 months but only have mild pain and not all the time (light tightness from raking leaves or something) and only lost very very little mobility if trying to reach strait up.

Also the chemo your referring to maybe Adriamycin. They can / should do an echocardiagram (sp?), painless, noninvasive like an ultrasound for your heart before you do it and my heart looked great and I tolerated it fine as expected. The fact that your doctor asked for a consultation is great that he/she doesn't have such a big ego that they know everything. There are other chemos they can do and the side effect drugs have come such a long way. I cold capped, and cooled my hands and feet thru 4 rounds of chemo (Taxoterrible) and got through it with minimal vicodin. It's so important for all your doctors to work as a team. Best of luck to you whichever way you go.

• Broomie2
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hello 7of9! Actually it was the Rad Onc that was 'negative Nelly.' When hubby asked as to when the side effects went away, the response was, 'That's why we refer to them as long-term.' My initial query was regarding radiation possibly affecting my shoulder. My new onc stated that one chemo might damage my heart and the other, Taxol wouldn't do anything...which I agree as I had that a third into my therapy a year and a half ago, after suffering an excruciating onset of neuropathy involving right neck, shoulder and arm. The Taxol shrunk the tumor enough for surgery and clear margins. But it also played havoc with red blood cells, and I required two separate blood transfusions within two months. I agree with you in that my impression of my new onc is he doesn't have an ego but he was stressing the fact of heart risk. BTW, health care in Canada is 'free' and suspect cancer treatments vary compared to other countries. And by 'vary' I'm referring to 'quality.'

• 7of9
    edited May 2017
    Options

broomie, I'm sorry, if I come off preachy sometimes. Please accept my apologies. I talk to people like they were me a year ago, two years ago. Everyone is different and I didn't know your resources, what you had to work with very well. Be well and know we all have good intentions out here. I pray for everyone going through this stupid disease. Be well!

• Broomie2
    edited May 2017
    Options

7of9, no worries! I didn't think you were 'preachy' at all! I think it all boils down to difference in choices and options due to different countries and large and small cancer centers. The smaller the center the lack of quality health professionals. However, life is too short to be bitter and grateful that I can be positive in spirit at this time. I was so convinced I was 'home free' with clear margins and neg negs that I was devastated to have a recurrence 9 months later, only to eventually find out that my onc should not have cancelled the three month follow-up. Then pre-op, my surgeon didn't think the tumor was attached to the chest wall. Following surgery, while in hospital he stated that it was attached but didn't have to 'scrape' too hard and got it all.' Then post-op he stated that 4 out of 7 nodes were positive...when he originally said he had only taken four in total. Two weeks later, with my app't with the new onc, I'm informed of the positive margins and Dx with stage 3! The news kept getting worse and worse, when previously thinking I had beat the devil by undergoing bilateral mastectomy. It took a couple of weeks to get back up off my knees and now feel quite well. Maybe what I'm trying to say is 'maybe it is possible to polish a turd!' :)

• 7of9
    edited May 2017
    Options

Broomie, polish that sucker right next to mine. I had a recurrence and if it makes you feel better (I know it doesn't but hey, misery might not enjoy company but can be reassured that you're not alone). I also had a recurrence 3 1/2 years after double mast, clear margins, clear nodes (it was slow cooking long before) I insisted on an ultrasound for my armpit though my onc MISSED as well as my general practitioner during 3 physical exams. I didn't have a tumor scraped off my chest (ew) but I did have "extra extensive node (bursting with cancer)" that "wrapped around a primary vein" that the surgeon took out and said did not go inside the vein. right.

What a shitbag diagnosis. I also beat you on the nodes. 10/14. Supposedly the 10 were all in the axillary 'sac' and the 4 were from outside all around. Ok. radiation and more chemo...I'm a year and 4 months down the road... I have found spending more of my retirement on not one but 2 trips to Disney and planning another trip to Utah has helped me to look forward and not focus on the what if (and whens) ...when the attivan wears off!

• tempusername123!
    tempusername123! Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2017
    Options

I havent roamed this site for quite awhile, but here I am. Your post from a year ago squeezed my heart & left me momentarily breathless. Your diagnosis was so similar to mine: stage IIIC, 2.5 cm tumor, but in right breast, grade 2, er/pr+.... 24/24 nodes positive, spot in right lung, no clear margins, in bloodstream. Besides IDC, also diagnosed with IMPC & metastatic lymph node cancer. Not expected to live beyond 3 years even with dual dense chemo and radiation. It is now going on nine (9!) years & here I still am. Was I scared? Terrified, even? Yes. Am I still scared? You bet. None of us should judge another's experience, so go ahead and feel your feelings without fearing a darn thing from any one of us!

I hope you are doing well. This is a tough Journey, but you arent alone.

• Broomie2
    edited May 2017
    Options

7of9, thank you for sharing your story. It's so sad and incredibly disappointing to hear about recurrences when you believe going through cancer surgery/treatment and having clear margins/negative nodes - you're good to go only to suffer a recurrence. Just today, in a national newspaper, the headlines read: "The only cure for cancer maybe prevention." Haven't read the article yet but it makes sense to me! Enjoy your retirement and hope your trips are 'distracting.'

• Broomie2
    edited May 2017
    Options

StellaStarr, thank you as well for sharing. Wow, your diagnosis was indeed frightening to have but you provide a 'ray of hope' nine years later!

• deemendoza
    deemendoza Member Posts: 24
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hello girls,

New to the forum not new to the site. I was dx in 2008/2009 stage 1 I had a mastectomy and tamoxifen for 5 years...

Sept 2016 I felt a lump my arm, within days i had an ultra- sound and a biopsy. Tested positive for cancer. I did 8 rounds of chemo, had surgery in May 9th due to having hyperthyroidism ( 1st ever must of been the chemo) 38 lymph nodes removed and 35 tested positive for cancer. Recurrence doesn't get stage but was told that if this had been my 1st time. I would be a stage 3... I'm so scared ladies, everything i feel wrong I think the cancer has spread.

• dancingelizabeth
    dancingelizabeth Member Posts: 305
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi Dee...

Mine was over 6 cm. And, Grade 3. The biopsy report even mentioned the cancer had "bizarre shapes"...with "extracapsular extension" on the sentinel nodes. It plainly sucks and *is* scary. I was convinced mine had spread - also. I had a CT w/contrast, bone scan and (most recently) tumor markers done. No evidence of mets. But, damn scary going thru all the testing. I'm still scared!

But, with every month that goes by - I turn the page on my calendar and feel a small but significant victory... Its been just over a year for me... (((Hugs)))