Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Who is starting chemo in September 2016?

Options

Comments

• nayda985
    nayda985 Member Posts: 270
    Options

KD...I would rather have the prescription...so I can take it early in the morning before I arrive at the cancer center...lol

• bagsharon
    bagsharon Member Posts: 142
    Options

lmencken,

When I met my MO, he said he recognized my chart from a case study. (I'm anonymously famous!) Apparently several oncologists had consulted about whether I should have chemo or not and the scale tipped towards chemo, if that makes you feel any better. Sounded like the main concern was that even though my tumor was ductal, it had lobular features and didn't show up on a screening mammogram just 6 months prior. Oh, and I'm Oncotype 20 with ILV as well.

• nayda985
    Options

Just saying "Cancer Center" makes me nervous...lol

• MFalabella
    MFalabella Member Posts: 105
    Options

Hi everyone,

Had my pre chemo appointment today, MO had the results of my bloodwork and my echocardiogram, all is well. She went over all of the side effects and gave me instructions on what to do on Friday. I am scared, but glad to be here with you all. Love and Blessings,

P.S. I got a super cute wig from the ACS that looks like me. I looked it up and it was a $180.00 wig! they also gave me a sleep cap, wig stand, a knitted warm cap and a wig snug band. They were amazing, dont forget to look up Look Good Feel Better, they supply advice and a makeup bag full of high end products!

xoxoMichelle

• kechla
    kechla Member Posts: 181
    Options

kd, yes, recurrence after bmx (for DCIS). There was about a 1% chance... I found the lump just under th skin on the outside of the implant.

• nayda985
    Options

Mbella...Great news with your tests lady!

i hope that your experience is better than mine on Friday....glad to see you moving forward with your treatment.

i am having bad heartburn....anybody else experiencing this???

• kdtheatre
    kdtheatre Member Posts: 145
    Options

MFalabella - anything new/different you learned from your chemo training that we should know? Or everything you already prepared yourself for? I know I am getting ahead of myself - I still need to get the echocardio and port...but desperately researching chemo and my Her2 stuff.

Kechla - look how special you are! You were that 1% that can totally handle this! I apologize for asking - I just wanted to be sure I understood your signature. I hope that wasn't rude of me. I am sure it was a shock to you - and looks like you caught both super early too.

• MFalabella
    Options

Nayda, I have GERD and the best over the counter is Gaviscon. it tastes like Sh$t but works great. I hope you try it and it helps. THanks lady for your encouragement.

xoxoMichelle

• MFalabella
    Options

KD, no I didn't learn anything new, except I was told over and over that any SE could be managed if I keep in contact with my team.

xoxoMichelle

• nayda985
    Options

MBella...Gaviscon...is that at like a GNC store??

• kechla
    kechla Member Posts: 181
    Options

nayda, yes I've got terrible heartburn today too. Nurse called in prescription strength Prilosec. Just took it about 10 minutes ago so not sure how well it will do yet.

Kd, it's fine. I've come to terms with it. Definitely not what I expected, but just taking it seriously and hopefully doing what it takes to get it gone for good this time. The implant actually helped me to find the new lump early.

• MLMSC
    MLMSC Member Posts: 31
    Options

So I had my first of 12 weekly treatments. Taxol and Herceptin, some other precautionary meds and fluids. The treatment was NOT as bad as I expected. The nurses were accommodating and calming. I have a port and hardly felt the IV needle go in. Center has some beverages, snacks, pillows blankets etc. it was a boring day, but I am so happy it was an easy day.

Both the MO and nurses tell me the side effects may be a bit less severe with the weekly dosages. I am prepared with a variety of both Rx and OTC meds.

I am actually traveling out of town tomorrow (I am not the driver) until Saturday to salvage a family vacation. We were supposed to have the week together, but I an thankful to get the three days, even if I sleep through one of them !

Happy to have this thread to support each other.

M

• MFalabella
    Options

Nayda, your hubby can get you some at the drugstore, it is with the other antacids, generic works fine too. I find it at walgreens, cvs, walmart, etc

xoxoMichelle

• JJMG1995
    JJMG1995 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am starting chemo tomorrow, 8/31. This is my first post. Not sure if I will be August group or September. Port was installed yesterday.

• MFalabella
    Options

JJMG. welcome to the September group. You have found a great place to hang, vent, ask questions and get great support. Good Luck with your treatment tomorrow. Love and Blessings

xoxoMichelle

• ACS74
    ACS74 Member Posts: 62
    Options

Thank you for the welcome, ladies. I will also be getting Cytoxan and Taxotere, 4 rounds three weeks apart beginning Sept 7th. I don't know my Onco number. What is that exactly? My oncologist would not go over my pathology report, nor would my surgeon. I'm quite frustrated by not knowing things that others seem to know. It's hard to make informed decisions when I'm in the dark about so many things. I'll be getting with my case worker to request a second opinion tomorrow. I'm really glad I came here it helped me confirm what my gut was telling me.

• seq24
    seq24 Member Posts: 451
    Options

JJMG, good luck to you. Sending positive thoughts and best wishes for a smooth process. Please keep us posted on how it goes, how you feel, etc. Those of us that have not yet started (I will be next week Friday) are learning so much from those of you who are ahead of us and hopefully we can share with those who come after. Please be in touch!

• lmencken
    lmencken Member Posts: 77
    Options

Kechla...you have my favorite quote in your profile!! As far as what I'm doing and when..I will find out tomorrow at MO visit..hope it's not too long..wanna get this show on the road!

• LisbethS
    LisbethS Member Posts: 88
    Options

ASC74, welcome to the group. Bummer to be here but you'll learn a lot and get support. It helps so much! I have never heard of an MO or surgeon refusing to give a patient a copy of their pathology report. I would demand it, and then think about finding new doctor's. That makes my blood boil. We have to be our own advocates these days.

An OncotypeDX test looks at the genes of your tumor and helps MOs weigh the benefits of chemo against the risks and whether chemo is worth it to prevent recurrence. It's all based on studies of patient's recurrence with and without chemo. The test is only for patients that are node negative, ER+, Stage I or II invasive BC. So my MO waited for my pathology report to find out if I had node involvement, I didn't so he ordered the OncotypeDX test to determine if chemo is a good choice, if there had been node involvement, he would not have ordered the test because node involvement would have meant that chemo was worth the risk regardless. The test is very expensive, I think I read it is around $5K and I don't think insurance covers it unless those parameters are met. Not sure I am making sense. Here's a good article about it on this site.

• seq24
    seq24 Member Posts: 451
    Options

Here is a weird question that doesn't even have to do with BC but with this site in general. Is anyone else having problems accessing this site? Since I've been on here for the past month or so I have had to reset my password every single time I log in or restart my computer. It's pretty annoying. There is nothing in the help section of this site. Hoping someone knows what the problem is. This site is too valuable not to use it but this is really becoming a pain in the neck. I'm not finding any of the settings in my computer that are wrong so I'm guessing it is the site itself. Any suggestions? Thank you!

• nayda985
    Options

Welcome JJ ***getting seat ready for JJ on the Chemo train***Winking

Thanks Mbella and Kechla for the heartburn tip:)

MLMSC...Congrats on your smooth Chemo Day lady! Hope you have a great Vacay with the fam!

Sorry Seq I have not experienced any problems accessing this site...hope someone can help you out with this..:(

Anyone looking into purchasing an alert BC bracelot?

• nayda985
    Options

Haven't seen any posts from SG..hope everything is alright...she said she started chemo last friday..same day as me.:(

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    Options

seq24 When you log in, just under your password there should be a little box to check off to stay logged in.

In regards to the questions about what it is like after chemo, For me getting the chemo itself was no different than getting an IV of saline. Felt nothing. Does nothing. Once done u feel like a great weight has been lifted & u r exhausted ( all tension & nerves) I never felt anything til Day 3. Like the flu. Never had bad nausea , no vomiting. I did get the yuk mouth with my first, but then they adjusted my infusion & I never got it again. Day 4 & 5 pretty much the same. Then felt better & better with each passing day. I had 4 rounds of TC from Sept 15 to Nov 15th. I wish I had found this sight earlier than I did & done more reading from the ladies before me. A wealth of knowledge ! DO suck on ice chips to try to preserve your taste buds. I didn't know & lost mine, it sucked. We got this Ladies. You are all strong & it will be over before you know it. Ask questions to ease your fears, vent & cry for relief of tension, ALL normal. Read lots on this board & arm yourselves with knowledge. Big hugs to all.

• ACS74
    Options

LizBeth- Thank you for explaining that so well. I wouldn't have an Onco number because I am node positive. My MO will give me a copy of my pathology, she just didn't want to break it down and explain it. My surgeon didn't either because he said he didn't want to give misinformation and alarm me unnecessarily. In his case, while it was frustrating to wait a month, I understood. While I like my MO, she could have been a bit more thorough in explaining things.

Nayda- Are you meaning the bracelet to alert not to take blood pressure or draw blood on the arm you had node removal? They do have some that are free. I'll try to find the link and post it here.

• nayda985
    Options

Yes AC I am...I loooove "Free":)

• MFalabella
    Options

Lizbeth Not true about oncotype test for node neg. I had positive nodes, and an oncotype of 32. I think it just depends on the individual.

xoxoMichelle

• MFalabella
    Options

Nayda, read my earlier posts, I have gotten free hats, scarves, chemo care kits, lymphedema wrist bands and hand made blankets.

xoxoMichelle

• nayda985
    Options

***finna read earlier posts for "Free stuff"***...lol

• ACS74
    Options

Nayda- go to breastcancerfreebies.com They have links to tons of freebies.

I'm still looking for the bracelet link :)

• MFalabella
    Options

Nayda, the bracelet can be had at www.lymphedema.com