Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Starting Chemo in December 2016

Options

Comments

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited February 2017
    Options

https://www.verywell.com/fingernail-disorders-during-breast-cancer-chemotherapy-430259

This article says to avoid colored polish. But it doesn't say why.

• Irishmom3
    Irishmom3 Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2017
    Options

Had my first dose of DD Taxol yesterday and feel pretty good compared to A/C. So far no GI side effects, just tired from the pre med of Benadryl. My nails have been very sensitive since last week but haven't noticed any discoloration. Feels like I have shut my fingertips in a door! Hoping you all have a better week, were getting that much closer

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited February 2017
    Options

can someone tell me where to get the gloves and Socks and what they prevent? Is it for neuropathy?I'm starting taxol next Friday. I'm hoping for not too many SEs.

I am still very nauseous and have very bad indigestion. It's worse than other treatments and I'm 1 were out. I don't want to take another pill if i can avoid it. Anyone have any issues won't constant burping and always feeling nauseous after eating

• Jezikah
    Jezikah Member Posts: 68
    edited February 2017
    Options

Scaredashell - I have had problems with constant gas, bloating, and burping. Gas-X has done wonders for me. I take Zofran for nausea. I have to take it before meals on my worse days to even want to eat, but keeps the nausea mostly away during and after eating. I end up eat bland things very slowly.

Update on my hand - it's looking better and the swelling went down. The skin is peeling and still red, but not nearly as bad as it was. I'm going to a dermatologist this afternoon just to make sure it's not something I should be concerned about - I already made the appointment earlier in the week when the hand was really bad, so may as well keep it.

My fingertips have still been bothering me and aren't getting any better. Doing buttons and shuffling cards is painful.

I have my next (4th) treatment on Wednesday and already getting anxiety about it :(

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited February 2017
    Options

hi ladies. , I'm day I've lost 5th T/C chemo yesterday. I'm feeling ok. Just some fatigue. But the SE normally kick in worse on day 3&4.

As for nausea. I feel good her tea helps me. I have one that's finer and orange flavored. Very good. I'm drinking some now cuz I felt a tiny bit of that nausea feeling coming in.

Jezikah, I'm glad your have is better. I saw the pick and your hand looked so red and swollen. Thank goodness not anything major. And you will do great next week on treatment. I too get anxiety a week before

Hope everyone had a great day.

• StayMom
    StayMom Member Posts: 57
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi ladies! I've been folllowing but not posting too much. I have been forcing myself to not do any reading or research on bc at night before bed since it was making me anxious and I was having trouble sleeping. Seems to be working better for me :)

My next 3 treatments will be Taxol starting Feb 15. I have been chatting with others and trying to prepare. I'm encouraged with some of your posts. The general impression I have is that it is tougher than the other chemo in terms of aches and pains and neuropathy. I'll be soaking my fingers and toes in ice. Apparently it is easier with cotton gloves and socks as a barrier between the ice. Hope that helps!

My last nurse also said I wouldn't need to suck on ice chips for mouth sores but it sounds like it might help? I have developed a serious aversion to ice since I have been sucking on ice for each treatment. It makes me gag and want to throw up! I can't even have ice in my drinks at the moment. But if it will help I will try for my next treatments. (Out of all the things to make me feel sick, imagine ice cubes!!!). I have had no mouth sores to date, just the terrible taste in my mouth that eventually fades before the next treatment.

I'm still confused about the dark polish for nails. My nails won't be exposed to the sun either way so I think I will try skipping the polish. I'm mosturizing my hands, nails and cuticles a lot and maybe that is more helpful? I find my skin had been getting more and more dry!

Jezikah did you soak your fingers and toes in ice??

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited February 2017
    Options

I feel the same about sucking on ice. Just the thought makes me me nauseous

• Shell72
    Shell72 Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2017
    Options

Gingkoleaf12-so happy for you to have completed another part of your treatment. My last chemo is on Wednesday and I can't wait to get it over. Good luck for your radiotherapy. I have that next too.

Jezikah-I'm so pleased your hand is getting better.

My oncologist recommended I apply nail polish to my nails prior to chemo. She didn't explain how it helps prevent nail loss but did say it only had to be on my nails for the 24-48hr that the chemo is in the body after each infusion. I'm only using clear on my fingernails. So far after 3 TC & Herceptin infusions I have no obvious nail changes.

• SCGirl50
    SCGirl50 Member Posts: 30
    edited February 2017
    Options

Ok update for those starting Taxol. Day 4 after 1st infusion. The worst SE I have to report is muscle soreness and random temporary pains. Mostly in my neck, abdominal and chest muscles. I am only taking Claritan and Tylenol for Neulasta shot. My energy has been better with Taxol. No mouth sores or Neuropathy signs. I hope this continues through the next 3 treatments. I have been able to exercise yesterday and today. It is helping with the soreness.

Scared I had that really bad indigestion and I told my MO I would not continue to take Dexamethason since he says that was the cause. I have not had any issues since. Not sure if this is your problem but steroids are not required to get through Chemo.

• scaredashell07
    edited February 2017
    Options

scgirl. Thanks for that information. I feel maybe slightly better. I don't think ill have any steroids for the taxol. Not sure. Have to check.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 573
    edited February 2017
    Options

My skin is a lot dryer and I go through lots of lotion- especially on my hands because you wash them so often. I did buy some special nail/cuticle cream only because of the dryness. I have not had nail or hand problems. My nails are a lot thinner and feel sensitive but not painful. I have to keep them cut and I really never thought about what color of nail polish to wear of if to wear any. I do try to keep some polish on only because in my own mind I think I am protecting it from being so thin. I usually wear clear or very light color only because I don't keep up with it and my cheap polish usually will chip.

I have been reading about all of you taking Taxol. I do not have that. I guess with my type of cancer I am on different med. I have taxotere , carbo??can't remember, Herceptin and Perjeta. I get all four of these every 3 weeks for 6 treatments. My 4th treatment will be on Feb 9th.

My side effects are not bad, I have had no nausea, a lot of diarrhea and heartburn and more fatigue with each one, and all of my skin feels more sensitive sometimes clothing seams bother me.

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2017
    Options

anyone experiencing watery eyes? I've had them for almost a week. Wondered how long that side effect lasts.

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited February 2017
    Options

hi misty eyes, I'm also on taxotere and have crazy dry hands. So think it's normal part of SE. I like using lubriderm .

Pamela, I have the watery eye problem too. In the morning especially. And I never had this problem before. I even wake up with my eyes having this sort of crust. Like if the water dries up and turns that way while I sleep. Nurse said it's the taxotere.

For anyone on taxotere/cytoxan, The 5th treatment is not so bad. So hoping my 6th is the same. Now my 4th treatment kicked my butt. I'm 4days post 5th t/c and starting to feel normal. 1more to go. Yay.

• midwest_laura
    midwest_laura Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks for the update, SC Girl.  Glad to hear that you energy is up.  Your comment about how exercise may be helping the soreness makes sense.  I'm having the same experience.  I was surprised that you are still getting the Neulasta with the Taxol.  My protocol doesn't call for that.  Hmmmm... maybe my MO thinks I'm strong enough without it.  My WBC has been on the high end of the "standard" range throughout the first 4 AC treatments.  We'll see what happens at my first Taxol treatment.

Does anyone know how to boost the RBC?  I was a bit anemic pre-chemo, and now my numbers have bottomed out.  Taking a bit of extra iron hasn't helped.  Thoughts?

• Irishmom3
    Irishmom3 Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2017
    Options

Pamela- I too have the watery eyes since starting chemo. I get asked all the time if I'm crying, nope just watery and crusty eyes. I have tried eye drops but nothing helps.

Started Taxol last week and had horrible body aches and abdominal pain. Nothing touched the pain including hydrocodone. My pain from my mastectomy was easier compared to this pain. I'm hoping my MO has something to offer. I've been getting Neulasta all along and never had this problem while on A/C. I'm just disappointed since my MO told me I would tolerate the Taxol better than the A/C. I'm starting to feel down and out, midway treatment exhaustion as my MO puts it.

I'm glad I have you ladies to turn to, having someone who knows exactly how I feel even when I'm at my lowest makesthis journey a little more tolerable

• StayMom
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks for all the Taxol info ladies. Trying to take it all in and hope for the best while prepping for anything! My first is one week from today. I might try sucking on popsicles vs ice chips. That might be enjoyable actually!

Irish mom I hear you on the mid treatment exhaustion! I find that this stage is a lot more difficult physically and mentally. I have 3 more treatments to go and assumed that would make me feel like the end is in sight (for chemo) but I am getting more anxious and irritable and tired as each week goes by. Just want this to be done already!! But we need to stay strong, stay positive. This will be over. 7 weeks and counting until my last treatment. We can do this! (But seriously, it sucks right now!

Anyone have any hair fuzz starting to grow? I heard it can start to come back on Taxol. That's good news right?!

• NotVeryBrave
    NotVeryBrave Member Posts: 169
    edited February 2017
    Options

Good to look at the bright side of things: With all of the skin dryness and peeling - I am ending up with softer and smoother hands and feet! And some discolored areas have faded, too.

The only problem that I've noticed with my nails is that all of the cuticles seemed to dry up and shrink away weeks ago. Now I can see that I will end up with deep grooves across my nails as they grow out because of that. I do use lotion and have put Aquaphor around the bases. The nails don't hurt - they feel like they are being pressed on if that makes sense.

Any neuropathy has been limited to a burning feeling in my feet and a tingling feeling in my fingers. Everyone should be reporting any of that to their MO because it can get progressively worse. Adjustments in chemo dosages can make a difference.

Scaredashell - you should definitely talk to the MO about the GI pain. I'm on Omeprazole now and it has made a huge difference. I had terrible burps that burned and stomach pain. All of it made me less likely to eat, too. My office will not give the chemo without the steroids.

And I totally get the feeling halfway through. You'd think I'd be overjoyed to have made it this far. All I can think is that it can't possibly be only halfway. I get anxious just thinking about three more chemo's. And then there's the surgery (& questions), the radiation (& questions), hormone drugs (& questions), and Herceptin for a whole year. UGH!

• Jezikah
    edited February 2017
    Options

Just checking in before my next treatment tomorrow. No, I haven't iced my fingers - it was never suggested to me at the treatment center and I haven't had the finger pain until now. I will ask MO about it tomorrow before treatment and see if we can do it when I'm having my infusions. My hands aren't getting better and it hurts to do buttons and push the button to release my daughter's car seat.

I'm also thinking of asking MO about medical marijuana use. It's legal here, but I'm not sure if they prescribe or recommend it at the cancer center. I haven't smoked marijuana since college (12+ yrs ago), but feel like it would help with the general pain, anxiety, sleeplessness, and other side effects I have after treatment. I wouldn't want to smoke it, I would prefer to do a vaporizer or edibles, but I'd have to get a "green card" through the state and get on the registry to purchase those things at a dispensary and I'm just not sure it's worth it, (or if I really want to be on the registry). Anyone else had this discussion with your MO and/or use marijuana for side effects?

• CJSharma
    CJSharma Member Posts: 305
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi December ladies! I'm from the April 2016 group and just wanted to do a quick check in to tell you it does get better! This is me with my hair slicked back (pic taken yesterday). It's really curly and poofy now, but gel does wonders. :) Also, it took me about 5 months, but the aches and pains of chemo are fully gone and I feel good.

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi everyone.....Just wondering if anyone's oncologist asked them to get genetic testing. I do not know of any family members with breast cancer, therefore was surprised that my MO said that I needed testing to know if I carry a gene for ovarian cancer. I was diagnosed at age 49 so am not exceptionally young. Am confused so any insight is a help. Thanks!

• SCGirl50
    SCGirl50 Member Posts: 30
    edited February 2017
    Options

Scared just to clarify about steroids. I do get them on infusion day. It is the 3 days following that I stopped. That was our (me and MO) compromise. He knows I was on the fence about doing chemo so he was agreeable. He says they are just for inflammation. I also have prilosec on hand if needed. I only had to take a few since that first infusion that was so bad. I also bottomed out with WBC even with Neulasta so they lowered my AC dose. I guess that's why I continue Neulasta with Taxol. I work in a county jail, 12.5 hour shifts, lots of germs, so that may be another reason why I am on Neulasta for the long haul.

• Jezikah
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi Summer - I had genetic testing, but it was due to my young age. Because I did have a gene mutation, it was more likely that I would have a recurrence, which was a deciding factor in having a BMX. I see you already had surgery and had a BMX, so that wouldn't affect any of those decisions at this point.

Only 5-10% of breast cancers are genetic, but breast cancer before the age of 50 is considered a risk factor for ovarian cancer. (Not sure the numbers, but it's higher risk than the general population). If your insurance covers it and Dr recommends it, you may decided to get tested just to know if you do have BRCA or any other gene that could help make decisions about your future care.

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thanks, Jezikah! I didn't read that about 'before age 50'. Somewhere I got hung up on 'those with a history of breast cancer' and haven't been able to get past that. Well, next I will need to see if my insurance will cover my genetic testing....sigh......

• Camarillomom
    Camarillomom Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi jezika, I got some edibles yesterday and last night I slept better than I have since I started chemo 1/30/17. I was wondering if anyone else is having a hard time staying asleep all night? I've had such horrible stomach pain/diarrhea that I wake up all night and toss and turn

• HoneyBeaw
    HoneyBeaw Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi Camar.............what are edibles, that you say helped you sleep. I to have horrible issues sleeping with all that is going on.

• Camarillomom
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi HB, Edibles are candies or chocolates that have THC in them and they have been a huge help for my stomach pain and sleepless/restlessness at night. I have a medical marijuana card that was fairly easy to obtain here in CA.

• Shell72
    Shell72 Member Posts: 28
    edited February 2017
    Options

Had my last chemotherapy today Happy

Went without a hitch. Still have the dreaded s.e to look forward to, in fact they seem to have started already, 4 days early!

We have the loveliest way to celebrate. Found out yesterday that my husband and I have won an amazing competition with our local radio station to renew our wedding vows on Valentine's Day. All held at a posh winery with $1000 worth of new wedding bands, make-up & hair ( wig in my case haha), champagne breakfast for 18 guests, limousine, dress for me and flowers! This year we will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and my man deserves so much celebrating for his amazing unconditional love & support towards me in my 3rd cancer diagnosis in 12 years. Even with my many scars, 1 missing breast and bald head he still manages to make me feel beautiful

• scaredashell07
    edited February 2017
    Options

CJCharma- thanks for that post. Made me feel so much better. It's hard when you're in it.

Irishmom - hang in there. I'm starting taxol Friday and will also get neulasta. Is the stomach pain accompanied by bathroom issues like diarrhea??? My MO said I might have bathroom issues. Not good with picking and dropping off my kids at various events

I am going to get neulasta shots through until the second to last taxol. I have had great wbcs so not sure why I need it. I think the shot is the thing that does me in.

Stay mom - I am one week ahead of you. I'll let you know how my Friday treatment goes.

• Camarillomom
    edited February 2017
    Options

Shell72 - congrats on the last chemo and I really hope you and hubby have the time of your lives at your wedding vow renewal you Both deserve it👊🏻.

• StayMom
    edited February 2017
    Options

Shell72 that is amazing! Great timing to celebrate you and your anniversary! Congrats!!

Scaredashell good luck on Friday. I'll be thinking of you. Hope that the SEs are minimal. Ask about soaking your fingers and toes in ice to help with neuropathy and nail issues.

CJ you are looking great and I love the thick wavy hair!! I can't wait to get some hair back.

Thanks for the heads up on the numbness Gingko. That is a SE I have not yet heard about but glad it seems to be resolving.

Regarding anxiety and sleep, I was prescribed Ativan when I was initially diagnosed. That has gotten me through many anxious nights and helps me sleep. Another name for it is Lorazepam. I would be open to edibles too and I know some people rely on it during chemo for pain and anxiety. I feel like I am managing ok for now. I have smoked before and I remember feeling dizzy and I don't want to feel dizzy or dopey. I find the chemo does that well enough! But I would loveto hear about anyone's experience.