Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Starting Chemo in December 2016

Options

Comments

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 573
    edited January 2017
    Options

I have 4 different medicines at each chemo plus the anti nausea, steroid, Benadryl given before. I have 6 treatments to go through and will have my 3rd on the 19th and will have to get Herceptin for a year. It took me longer to feel ok after the 2nd treatment. I hope it doesn't get longer after each treatment.

The Neulasta doesn't seem to bother me as much as it does some of you. I wear the thing home on my arm and I think that my arm hurts for a few days afterwards. I had leg pain after the first one. My hands hurt really bad after the first one too, I don't know if its because of Neulasta or all the other stuff. My hands still hurt in hot water but nothing like they did after the first one.

StayMom - You really look so cool! I had my husband shave my head because it hurt so bad, it would hurt if the wind just blew my hair. I saw it as God making it hurt so I would be so happy to have my hair gone.

I do agree with a lot of you, it feels so free to have no hair - it really speeds up the morning routine getting ready for work. lol

Hoping you all feel better and this is a great place to come and share.

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2017
    Options

stay mom I love the bald shot. It's awesome.

I am now having lots of heartburn and aches all over including my neck and throat. Calling doc about it. Last AC js 1/27. Scared for taxol.

• chickensandgoats
    chickensandgoats Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2017
    Options

Scaredashell07 - I had terrible heartburn. My MO prescribed Prilosec 40 mg and it really helped. I take one in the morning and for the most part it has lessened the symptoms.

I am also glad you mentioned the neck and throat aches. I have had those every time and really wasn't sure if it was the chemo or the Neulasta or what. I hadn't heard anyone else mentioned that symptom so I'm curious to hear what your doctor has to say about it.

I have heard taxol is easier. Hopefully that will be true for many of us. I go Monday for my first Taxol.

• Summer2016
    Summer2016 Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2017
    Options

I realize many of us are experiencing hot flashes during our treatment. I'm 49 years old (premenopausal) and since treatment started my hot flashes were only at night however now I am experiencing hot flashes with chills all day and all night. I spend all my time layering and unlayering clothing and blankets....honestly I get exhausted from this routine. Anyone else having this many hot flashes and chills?----Uncertain if this is normal.

Oh and I wanted to wish all those having treatment this week the best of luck and Congrats to those who are on their LAST ONE!

• Pamela23
    Pamela23 Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2017
    Options

Summer-- I'm only getting night sweats at night but as chemo progresses, they are more intense and have a longer duration with each passing week.

Scaredashell & chickens-- I have the sore throat each time. It's like the top layer of cells in my esophagus are gone. Is that what you experience? It's about the same time my tongue feels like it's burned. I don't get heartburn but definitely have some sort of indigestion for a couple weeks. Feels like my dinner just sits in my stomach all night but no pain. Gone through a bottle of Tums since November! Just thinking about these side effects makes me dread tomorrow's infusion!! Every time I start feeling "normal" it's time to be put through the ringer again!

• BG46TN
    BG46TN Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2017
    Options

Summer2016 I am from Nov group, I am 46 also premenopausal and have also been getting lots of hot flashes...mostly at night but they do seem to be starting to creep into day time too...at night its horrible, they wake me up, I'm uncovering, covering, stripping clothes off....etc and everything sweats, my head too LOL

During the day I am at work (teacher) so I can't really strip down LOL so I try to wear layers and I fan myself alot!

For the rest of you, many women in the Nov group are on Taxol already (pop over and say hi if you want lol) and they seem to think overall its a lot easier then AC was...I start Taxotere on friday so I'm a bit nervous, but hoping its easier too..I was lucky and had minimal SE on AC so I hope I continue to feel pretty good.

I always got my Neulasta on my belly and had 1 24hr period of some minor flu like body aches...and I always took claritin for at least 5 days, plus advil/tylenol.

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

I hope taxol js easier. Just called my doc because I am having spasms or flutters don't really know what they are. Concered About heart issues. My echo was fine but now worried about long term heart issues. Good luck to all

• Summer2016
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks BG46TN and Pamela23 for sharing info on your hot flashes! Mine are about every half hour day and night. Will mention it to my oncologist on Friday as that will be my treatment #3.

BG46TN -------I hope you sail through Taxotere....with little to no side effects! I too have my Neulasta injector on my belly. I haven't had any pain at injection site. My nurse told me back of arm would make my arm sore.

Pamela23-----Celebrating your last treatment! Yay for you!

Scaredashell07-----I'm sorry you are having heart/chest concerns. My nurse had warned me about sternum pain from Neulasta feeling like a heart attack and good thing she did or I would have run to the ER! I hope with a thorough exam you find there is no damage from AC. I worry about my heart from Taxotere as I was born with a heart murmur and congestive heart failure runs in my family. I have read that it too can cause heart issues years later...ugghhh.

Wishing and praying for healing for us all.

• Irishmom3
    Irishmom3 Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2017
    Options

I had my last A/C today and feeling like I have accomplished something! Starting Taxol on 2/1 I'm hoping forless SE since my MO tells me it's more tolerable. I'm worried about neuropathy.

I continue to pray for our wellbeing and for all of us to be cancer free.

• chickensandgoats
    edited January 2017
    Options

Irishmom3 - You have met a major milestone! So glad you are finished with A/C! Congratulations on making progress in your journey!

• Jezikah
    Jezikah Member Posts: 68
    edited January 2017
    Options

Had my 3rd treatment today - so I'm halfway done with the nasty stuff!! (And then just Herceptin for a year). Treatment was mostlyuneventful. My nurse was kind of a space cadet and kept forgetting stuff and forgetting about me, but he was nice enough and apologized. He obviously didn't read my chart before I got there because he hadn't ordered all the premeds I needed for my Taxotere reaction. So that caused a delay, but we got through it...

Fatigue, muscle soreness, and loss of appetite is already setting in much earlier than my first two treatments. Also had a throbbing headache this evening. Spent most of the afternoon and evening in bed, besides dinner and a short walk around the block with the dogs. I was going to go in for a half day tomorrow after my neulasta shot at 10, but we'll see how I'm doing...

• DizzyGirl
    DizzyGirl Member Posts: 45
    edited January 2017
    Options

I am on Day 15 of my second round of TCHP and the fatigue has been terrible. I feel like I was barely functioning up until Day 13. Also, my neutrophils dropped twice so I had to go in for 10 days of Granix injections to stimulate the bone marrow to make more. I am sure this added to the fatigue. WBC were also low so I'm avoiding everyone. Round three is scheduled for January 26th and I am dreading it. I am thankful my taste-buds are finally getting back to normal. Two rounds down with four more to go.

I am thrilled for everyone that is finishing up their A/C rounds of chemo. Oh how I wish that was my regimen.

Also, sucking on ice chips through Taxotere and Carboplatin really helped prevent some of the mouth sores.

• Shell72
    Shell72 Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2017
    Options

summer2016- I am 44 and premenopausal also and find I'm worse with my hot flushes after each chemo round. I've just had my 2nd to last cycle and spend all night changing pjs, adding then removing blankets and putting on a sleep cap to cover my bald head only to remove it all sweaty an hour later. It's summer here in Nz so the nights have been pretty warm anyway but I'm sure it's the chemo and steroids playing havoc. How I'd love to sleep through an entire night!

Scaredashell- I suffer from heartburn too. Usually starts up about 5 days after chemo. I feel like food and stomach acid just sits in the base of my throat. I find Omeprazole really helps.

My thoughts are with everyone in this group. Yesterday's struggle is one less to ever deal with again - today we are one step closer to hopefully full recovery and happier days x

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

Irishmom congrats on finishing ac!!! Happy that we are moving along

• Summer2016
    edited January 2017
    Options

Shell72-----Thanks for the response about hot flashes getting worse after each chemo treatment. I was worried that something was wrong as everyone else seemed a bit more steady with only night hot flashes and them appearing to be about the same intensity. Always helps to know if others have the same or similar experience!

• 2movefoward
    2movefoward Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2017
    Options

hi Colorado,

I am actually in the January 2017 chemo group but wanted someone that's ahead of me to talk to. I am HER2+ also, mastectomy on right Jan 4, getting port next Wed., and 1st chemo next Friday (same as you Taxol & Herceptin for 12 weeks) how are you handling it? The list of side effects is overwhelming.

Hoping to slide through it

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

hello. Anyone talk to their doctor about heart issues. I can't find much information. I have had a flutter since starting ac and doc said j should see a cardiologist but that it's not from the drugs. I have an spot next Wednesday before my next infusion but that's my last AC. So many be damage is already done ug

• chickensandgoats
    edited January 2017
    Options

scaredashell07- My doctor sent me for a baseline echocardiogram after my second A/C. Due to scheduling problems I actually didn't get one until after my 3rd treatment. That's really all the info I got. I have heard that A/C can cause heart problems, but I think it is after many doses which is why they limit most people to 4 treatments.

• chickensandgoats
    edited January 2017
    Options

Called and talked to the nurse about the IV premeds before Taxol which I'm starting on Monday. Benadryl, Pepcid, and a steroid. I don't have to take steroids or Neuasta afterwards. Other than the Benadryl making me sleepy I'm hoping the side effects will be less severe with this combo. I am so relieved to be avoiding the 4 days of dexamethasone after my treatments. The steroid has been as bad as the chemo for me. Fingers crossed.

Thanks, ladies, for always being there to read my messages. I appreciate each and everyone of you!

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

what is the reason for the steroids? I take dexamethodzone (sp?) for two days after treatment

• bareclaws
    bareclaws Member Posts: 246
    edited January 2017
    Options

scaredashell, my son-in-law is a cardiologist. He has patients that are suffering with the heart effects of adriamycin. He says keep moving, running, exercising, keep your heart muscles working.

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks Bareclaws - I will do that. sounds like good advice. Hoping its not a long term issue

• StayMom
    StayMom Member Posts: 57
    edited January 2017
    Options

Scaredashell my heart seems to race for a few days and then calms down. I especially noticed it at night. I asked my MO about it and he said it was normal and from the drugs. I do have heart issues in my family so am paranoid about any symptoms. I had a heart test before chemo started for a baseline. Any pain or more noticeable heart symptoms and I will be asking for tests etc

• Irishmom3
    Irishmom3 Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2017
    Options

Just wondering if anyone has issues with dry eyes since starting chemo? I've had excessive tears at first now dry eyes and drops aren't helping any suggestions would be appreciated.

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

thanks staymom I was hoping to get a second echo after second treatment but the doc didn't think it was needed.

Irishmom - I noticed some dryness in my eyes like pins sticking me. hasn't gotten worse after second treatment. I think I saw it on the list of side effects

• scaredashell07
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ginkoleaf. I don't have trouble but if watch tv and set the timer for an hour and usually I fall asleep during a show

• BCS2016
    BCS2016 Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2017
    Options

I haven't been on for a bit but am now catching up.

Jezikah- I wear my wig every day I work in the office (which is most days) and occasionally on the weekends. The first week, I had to build up to it because it was a bit irritating but now I don't even think about it. My new favorite product is the baseball hat with the hair attached that I got from headcovers.com. That is my go to piece for errands and something to wear when the kids have their friends over. For me, this is about privacy more than looks.

I am taking TCH and wondering if anyone else has this experience – I had my head buzzed one day before my second treatment when my hair begin seriously shedding. It was not noticeable yet to others. Since then, it may have shed a bit some more, but it never fell out and what's there is actually growing. I had my third treatment Thursday and I asked the oncologist about it. He said that it is a gradual loss and some will grow back. Is anyone else having this happen? Wishing I would have not shaved when I did but also not understanding why it is still hanging in there after three TCH treatments!

• Summer2016
    edited January 2017
    Options

Gingkoleaf12-----Yes, I have trouble falling asleep even though I am tired and of course struggle staying asleep with hot flashes and chills. I have not found anything to help me fall asleep so far. My oncologist gave me prescription sleeping pills, however I have not taken any due to a fear of those mixed with other meds. Plus I have to take extra steroids for 6 days due to burns and blisters on my fingers-----not helping with sleep!

As for the hot flashes, I found my cooling pillow in my closet the other day that is perfect now at night with hot flashes. When I have a hot flash I flip it over and the other side is instantly cooler like an ice pack with a light towel-----perfect really helps cool me down fast :)

Finally got a change on prescription for nausea now on Zolfran what a difference! Also, have a prescription for heart burn another HUGE difference---not as sick this time and this is my 3rd TC treatment. Also, I believe oncologist adjusted my premeds due to my fingers and other side effects. The combo made me feel better and I am thankful for that.----Glad I mentioned my issues and that they took care of it.

I am in the 'flu' feel from Neulasta today...hope it last only one day that would be nice. I noticed someone mentioned they didn't have to take Neulasta on their last treatment perhaps that will be the same for me. I would be happy to skip it!

Still using the Dignicap system in an attempt to save as much hair as possible. I have major thinning on the top of my head. Very worried that I will lose more in that spot from this and my last treatment. I had the nurse place more pressure in that spot so will see if that helps. I have experienced lost of thinning all over, however I had thick hair so others do not notice.....they can only see the top thinned on scalp. Not sure how I will cover that when working again. My hot flashes are so bad I can hardly wear a cap to my car when leaving the treatment with wet hair. I just feel like my entire face and head are on fire when the hot flashes hit me!

Wishing and praying all of us well always!

• CCNC
    CCNC Member Posts: 26
    edited January 2017
    Options

Dizzygirl, we are on almost identical tracks. I am doing TCHP as well and my third treatment is on the 27th. I had mouth sores with the first round. My MO reduced the Taxotere on my second treatment and I did not get any mouth sores. Have you told them all the side effects you are having, there may be an opportunity to reduce the dosage? The diarrhea and mouth sores (and I think just the sheer number of side effects that first time)were the reasons they backed off. The second time around the SE were greatly reduced. I agree that the fatigue was harder to bounce back from the second time. I am not looking forward to the third treatment.

BCS2016, I did not cut my hair until there was so little left I could no longer pin up the remaining strands. I do have a very thin amount hanging on, but am kind of glad it is there as it gives me the illusion of having hair when I have my hats on. My hair loss has slowed down this week and I am curious if it is all going to go as well.

• chickensandgoats
    edited January 2017
    Options

Big surprise from the MO today. I arrived at the infusion center to start the first of 12 weekly Taxol. Instead he decided on 4 dense dose Taxol treatments every 2 weeks. I'm hoping this is good news. 3 more treatments after today. However, I will still have to have Neulasta with dense dose and I've heard there will be more side effects with dense dose than weekly. We will see.