Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Amy one take Turmeric

Options
caall1234
caall1234 Member Posts: 5

Friend is taking it and also getting Misletoe shots said it was containing her

cancer. Last yea no hope for her but now she is contained

Comments

• sharethehope
    sharethehope Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'll be very interested to hear how you do on mistletoe. Is this a trial? April

• caall1234
    edited December 2016
    Options

I am not doing the shots a friend of mine did them and helped

her a lot

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi caall1234 I take Theracumin which is activated Tumeric but not necessarily for the cancer but for the inflammation in my body due to arthritis and SE from Femara. I did know that it can have an effect on fighting the cancer in a positive way but have not just relied on that side of it.

What are your questions on it?

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• caall1234
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Turmeric is used as a spice in curry powders and mustard. It is being investigated in clinical trials for the treatment and prevention of cancers
  • Goodie16
    Goodie16 Member Posts: 297
    edited December 2016
    Options

I also take Tumeric for pain caused by arithiritis and SEs of arimidex.

• ardyrankin
    ardyrankin Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm taking Curcumin (the active ingredient in Turmeric) 1650mg with BioPerine for better absorption.

It's a great anti inflammatory supplement.

• gmmiph
    gmmiph Member Posts: 662
    edited December 2016
    Options

I eat raw fresh turmeric with freshly ground peppercorns and a little bit of raw wild honey.

Sometimes i make smoothies with fresh turmeric, coconut milk, peppercorns, banana, papaya or pineapple and cinnamon. Taste great!

Curcumin Benefits

Both of my arthritic knees and my hubby's chronic back pain were relieved after about two weeks of eating turmeric.

I wish there's someone here who can show an updated data of the most populous countries with the lowest cancer incidence rates together with an info on their diets and lifestyle. This would surelybe a lot of help for us.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,010
    edited December 2016
    Options

I've been taking turmeric for I guess about five years. I am almost six years dealing with stage iv bc. Here is what I take, two capsules a day in the morning:

I also take vitamin D, omega 3 fish oil and a calcium supplement daily. All of these vitamins cost me less than $150 a year, so less than $12.50 a month. I also get a zometa iv every three months, it is a bone strengthener. And I take Arimidex, plus a few meds for high colesterol, anxiety and depression.

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    edited December 2016
    Options

I've just started turmeric ultra concentrated. Hoping it helps all of these cramps and muscle spasms

• gmmiph
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi DivineMrsM,

Thanks for you info. I hope you're doing fine. It is encouraging to hear from someone like you. A true warrior.

The supplements you're taking must really be helping you. Those things you mentioned are exactly what I plan to take right after I finish my chemo treatments, except for Vitamin D, which i can get directly from sunlight since I live in a tropical country.

Before my chemo started I began taking Turmeric extract and Flaxseed Omega 3 oil to boost my immune system.

However, my MO cautioned me on them as it might interfere with the chemo drugs. But i still believe in having these supplements so I continued using the natural food versions of them like the raw turmeric, ground flaxseed, and wild oily fish like salmon, tuna and mackerel.

The things i have yet to find are good natural sources of plant-based protein, cacium and iron. I'm aftaid of what they say about soya protein.

Any tips on these?

Thanks again and God Bless.

Gina

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited December 2016
    Options

My wife is taking theracumin, a highly absorbable form of curcumin. It's supposed to be the best form to achieve high peak levels in your blood. She only takes it during her time off chemo because of fear of interfering with the chemo.

• divinemrsm
    edited December 2016
    Options

Definitely listen to your oncologist and follow his or her directions on taking/not taking supplements during chemo. I did not take anything other than doctor prescribed meds when I was doing chemo and radiation.

It wasn't because I was being cautious, it was because I hadn't yet begun to look in to what kinds of supplements I might want to take. I did some research about vitamins and supplements over several months, reading and educating myself on what I thought I would benefit from. I also was not about to spend ridiculous amounts of money on them. I buy mine online at a couple different sites and wait for promotions where I can use coupons and get free shipping.

And maybe they are helping. But the main thing is that the arimidex I take is the mostimportant daily med for me.

• LindaE54
    LindaE54 Member Posts: 1,379
    edited December 2016
    Options

Timothy - What dosage of theracumin does your wife take? And what brand do you use?

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited December 2016
    Options

I've been using curcumin for several years, mostly for medication-induced joint pain. The difference with and without it is pretty dramatic for me. From my own experience, it certainly didn't prevent my metastatic recurrence, so I can't wholeheartedly recommend it for that, although it is suppose to have that capability. I just think it's probably an individual thing -- the same as with our meds. Plus, I think you'd have to take quite a bit of it if that's what you're hoping to achieve.

I've used both Life Extension and Jarrow brands with much success. I've tried New Chapter Turmeric Force and wasn't impressed. Most recently I've been using a highly rated product I found on Amazon, Naturewise Organic Curcumin, but I'm not impressed with it either and am going to let my hubby have it and go back to Life Extension or Jarrow, which seem to work better for me.

• gmmiph
    edited December 2016
    Options

I dont know if any of you noticed but most who posted on this thread was diagnosed with cancer before 2010. Although some have had metastasis, you ladies are still in the thick of your bout with this dreadful disease. Please don't get me wrong but for me, it's seems like a huge blessing already. Anyone surviving beyond five years after diagnosis is already a big milestone. Of course all of us want to achieve NED (No Evidence of Disease) status, but if really all of those who have taken turmeric has survived beyond 5 years, somehow it tells us something mystical about that herb. Sure there are so many factors to consider to arrive at quick conclusion that turmeric helps cancer patients, but IMO, it really does.

I wish there would be somebody here who could give us worldwide cancer incidence and fatality rates with rankings of all countries. I will be most interested to see how countries use herbs like turmeric, ginger, garlic and perhaps even mistletoe or bostwelia among others, that produces the lowest cancer rates relative to their population statistics. Examples of these countries using turmeric in their daily food might include India, Sri Lanka, and maybe Saudi Arabia. For ginger users, maybe some Asian countries like the Philippines, Thailand. Soy sauce users like maybe Japan.

My point is to determine which countries uses what food/herbs daily that gives them low cancer incidences in proportion/relation to their respective populations.

If we can determine the nutrition and lifestyle of these low-cancer countries, then maybe we can follow their examples. Again this would depend on a lot of factors, of course. I just wish more research on this will be initiated soon. Nutrition plays a very important role to one's health, do we all agree?

These are just my thoughts

This thread is getting really interesting.

• husband11
    edited December 2016
    Options

My wife takes Natural Factors branch Theracumin. We either buy it in the 120's with 30mg/ capsule, or 60's at 60mg/capsule. It's a convenient brand to purchase on Amazon CA. All theracumin should be the same. She takes the 60mg at 3x daily. There is something of a diminishing return for higher dosage, so she takes it at 60mg per dose, 3x a day. She only takes it during her off time from xeloda.

• LindaE54
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thank you Timothy. I also ordered the Natural Factors 60 mg. I've been taking turmeric/curcumin since dx for joint aches but not sure I had the best quality so I look forward to trying this one.

• gmmiph
    edited December 2016
    Options

I wonder if just eating raw turmeric will give me some curcumin absorption. I have read somewhere on the Internet that about half an inch of raw turmeric and some fresh peppercorns which has piperine will allow for better curcumn absorption. I just add a half teaspoon of raw honey to counter the strong taste. After taking them, i brush my teeth quickly to avoid yellow stains on my teeth.

I also use raw grated turmeric on my smoothies which taste much better with tropical fruits like papaya or pineapple, with banana, peppercorns, cinnamon, grated ginger and a cup of fresh coconut milk. Even without the sweeteners like stevia or honey, they taste heavenly!

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited December 2016
    Options

I take curcumin two ways. I take Meriva curcumin from Piping Rock (formula and brand recommended by breast cancer researcher Constantine Kanaklidis; most affordable curcumin I've ever found and high quality also), and I have also been taking Inflamma-less by Irwin Naturals without fail for about six years. This is a powerful anti-inflammatory formula which includes some curcumin, frankincense/boswellia, fish oil, garlic, ginger, resveratrol, and some gut health supports as well. It improves my quality of life so much, and I definitely notice when I forget to take it. Cheapest price I've found is through Amazon.

• LindaE54
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thanks for the tip on Inflamma-less Lulubee.

I also started taking boswellia from Nature's Way a month or so ago. Made a world of difference for me in terms of pain. I still take my pain meds cocktail but practically no need for breakthrough meds since Boswellia.

Wrenn - do you take it with food?

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hello, I want to take Curcumin but I read that it's not safe for hormone positive bc. Any suggestions?

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited December 2016
    Options

Houston, not sure where you read that, but I often check the Memorial Sloan Kettering website when I want to ascertain the safety of things that fall into the integrative category. They seem to research each substance very well and give a balanced report. Here's the listing for turmeric/cucurmin.

https://www.mskcc.org/node/3451

wrenn, there might also be some helpful information here re. why you and your sister have a hard time with it, assuming you're taking it with food. Maybe something pre-existing that indicates it's not a good choice for you?

• divinemrsm
    edited December 2016
    Options

I was dx stage iv er+ bc in 2011 and have been taking tumeric with curcumin extract since about 2012. I take arimidex daily and have been stable since treatment in 2011. So I would have to disagree about curcurminhaving negative effects on hormone positive bc. Everything I read says the opposite.

• Houston2016
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thank you all, I am needing something like curcumin for the SE of Arimidex. It's good that it may not interfere with BC hormone positive.☺

• Sunny_Girl
    Sunny_Girl Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2016
    Options

Houston, I was taking turmeric but heard similar information on one of the other posts on this site and stopped taking it. Being ER+|PR+&HER+ I didn't want to do anything that would cause problems.

That being said, I'm going to have to look into it further & would like to start taking it again.

Thanks for the post.

Patty

• bestbird
    bestbird Member Posts: 232
    edited December 2016
    Options

Below from my MBC Guide is a writeup about Curcumin, which I've been taking daily by mixing turmeric powder, freshly ground black pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper in olive oil to increase its bioavailability. All are welcome to request a complimentary copy of the 125 page booklet by visiting the top of this page:https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/831507?page=2#idx_32

Curcumin is a naturally occurring chemical compound that is found in the turmeric spice. Curcumin and turmeric are sometimes used interchangeably, but the technical difference between the two is that turmeric is the yellowish powder used to flavor foods, while curcumin is a chemical contained within turmeric. Curcumin inhibits metastasis to the lungs of mice with breast cancer, report researchers at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.The study reports that curcumin appears to shut down a protein active in the spread of breast cancer to a major target for metastasis.Though the study results are early, researchers found that the nontoxic natural substance not only repelled progression of the disease to the lungs, but also appeared to reverse the effects of Taxol that may trigger spread of the disease with use over a long period of time.

One interesting laboratory study on cell lines indicates that curcumin may act in a similar manner to a class of drugs known as mTOR (mammalian target of rapamycin) inhibitors, which blocks a type of protein that helps all cells – both healthy and cancerous – get the energy they need. When these proteins don't act normally, they can help certain breast cancers grow. mTOR inhibitors help to block specific proteins, resulting in cell death.Afinitor (Everolimus) is an mTOR inhibitor, and this study implies that curcumin may work in a somewhat similar manner. From: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19176385

Curcumin may also help to suppress an unwanted result of taking Taxol.Because Taxol is so toxic, it activates a protein that produces an inflammatory response that induces metastasis. Curcumin appears to suppress this response, making it less possible for the cancer to spread. In fact, researchers found that adding curcumin to Taxol actually enhances its effect. Curcumin appears to break down the dose, making the therapy less toxic and just as powerful while delivering the same level of efficacy.From: http://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/news-releases/2005/10-14-05-curcumin-halts-spread-of-breast-cancer-in-mice-news-release.html

Warning: Patients undergoing Doxorubicin (Adriamycin) or Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) chemotherapy should refrain from taking curcumin while on this therapy, since it can interfere with the effectiveness of these drugs.From: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12097302

• husband11
    edited December 2016
    Options

Here's a good article reviewing various forms of curcumin.

https://www.superfoodly.com/best-turmeric-curcumin...

• Houston2016
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi all, I read about Curcumin, and understandably, it is one of the top supplements that fight against cancer. I'm not disputing that. But all the information about curcumin were geared towards all types of cancer. An article from life extension stated Curcmin is good for triple negative breast cancer, and that hormone positive bc is better treated with conventional treatment. I would like some clarification from a good source that states curcumin can be used with ER+ bc without the hormones issue. Some websites for herbal products do not clarify or distinguish one cancer type from another. They just say the products are good for most cancers. Does anyone has something else different?"

• Houston2016
    edited December 2016
    Options

interestingly with the information written about Curcumin help to induce metastatis, why are OC not encouraging bc patients taking curcumin? Many do not know about the products, have to find out about them on Google or on this discussion board. What a shame.

• divinemrsm
    edited December 2016
    Options

Make no mistake, I had all the conventional treatments, diagnosed stage iv from the start and still take Arimidex daily. The tumeric with curcumin that I take is not some type of alternative route; I began taking it a number of months after I completed chemo, rads and had a lumpectomy. I consider it complimentary to tradtional treatment.

The way I understand it, supplements are not ruled and regulated by the FDA the way medicine is. There are not tried and true statistics to be found of studies conducted to determine whether they work, what doses they work at, how long they work for. With the herbal supplement websites making vague references to "all types" of cancer, it says to me they do not have scientific data to back up their claims.

I cannot say why I have had a long stretch of stability since treatment for stage iv, but I would most certainly not be here without modern medicine. The supplements I take have not been a detriment to my stabilty, but are they the reason for it? I would not make that claim. Why do I take them? I guess it is my way of feeling like I have some kind of control over this disease.

Most Oncologists are trained only in the ways of traditional medicine. Have you read the Anti Cancer book? It is several years old now, but a doctor diagnosed with a brain tumor goes into great detail about complimentary treatment for cancer. His tumor grew back and after 17 years dealing with cancer, he passed. But he felt he benefited by adopting a holistic approach to his treatment, that it added longevity to his years.