Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Amy one take Turmeric

Options
2»

Comments

• LindaE54
    LindaE54 Member Posts: 1,379
    edited December 2016
    Options

I would not claim either that curcumin is the reason of my stability over 3 years. I take letrozole and rely on that as systemic tx until the next tx/progression. I started using curcumin after dx for joint pain caused by AIs. If there is an added benefit, well all the better.

• amylsp
    amylsp Member Posts: 96
    edited December 2016
    Options

@ Houston, where did you read turmeric was contraindicated for hormone positive cancer? I've never read that.

I trust the Memorial Sloan Kettering Site. They are usually very good about listing if there are any contraindications at all, even small ones. The only contraindications I've ever read for turmeric with BC is that it might interfere with certain Chemotherapy drugs.

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited December 2016
    Options

The closest I've heard of any problem with curcumin and ER positive breast cancer is the fear that pathways used to metabolize anti hormonals (and other drugs for that matter) might be interfered with in some cases by the same pathways used to metabolize curcumin. Ultimately there is no clear cut answer proving curcumin is safe, but there is evidence that where it uses common pathways, it does not appear to hijack or monopolize those pathways, and thus have a negative impact. (that was the conclusion of Constantine K.) If that is the case, you can have your cake and eat it too, so to speak. So, there is a risk of it interfering with some drugs, but no proof that it actually does. You have to do what you feel comfortable with when there is no definitive proof.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited December 2016
    Options

I am ER+ stage IV and have been on an AI for over seven years and Femara in particular for over five years while taking Curcumin.........I am NED and have been for five of those seven and a half years, If Curcumin interferes with the way the AI's are processed then I should not be NED. I was told to take it by my doc mainly to help with the side effects of the AI's but I feel it has also had a helping hand in getting me to and keeping me at the place I am right now. Nothing but good to say about Curcumin and recommend it to many.

• gmmiph
    gmmiph Member Posts: 662
    edited December 2016
    Options

Merry Christmas to All!

• Lovinggrouches
    Lovinggrouches Member Posts: 346
    edited December 2016
    Options

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!

• gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    edited January 2017
    Options

amylsp~

A Dana Farber pharmacist told me that Tumeric interacted with Tamoxifen pathways.