Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Diagnosed with stage 3A? What are my chances of complete cure?

2»

Comments

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363

I am sure he does and knows I understand my situation. But even if you never have had breast cancer you need to be on the look out.

• elise24601
    elise24601 Member Posts: 47

Hmm re: "cure" - my oncologist, who is chair of oncology at a world renowned research and teaching hospital, told me on day of dx that if I had a complete response to neoadjuvent chemo, he would be more than comfortable using the word "cure" about my cancer.

Sadly for me, this did not happen, not even close. He now tells me I am "still potentially curable" but that it is also quite possible there are circulating tumor cells left in my body that are too small to see on a scan. Our goal is to use other types of treatment (rads, hormone blockers, and Xeloda) to prevent these cells from ever "settling" and growing in my bones or organs. Barring that, my goal is to at least forestall progression for many years until there are more effective treatments available. I am 31 and my wish is to make it to age 45 without mets.

I believe that for women who had BC at some point but don't die of Stage IV disease, they were cured. There are many women like that. I think it is less likely for Stage 3, and still less for 3c like myself, but some stories on here do make me feel more hopeful that I could be lucky.

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,055

Elsie, what was your onc's definition of a complete response to neoadjuvant treatment? Did you not have clear margins, or pathologic complete response? I had the former but not the latter. Rads where billed as my insurance. When I asked if I was cured, my onc said not until all the cancer cells are out of your body. Needless to say, I didn't ask how she'd know when this was. However, like you, I'm optimistic I've got plenty of years ahead of me. And the hope of new, undiscovered drugs on the horizon is worth hanging on to.

• mellee
    mellee Member Posts: 220

My grandmother was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer back in the early 1950s at the age of 41. She had at least 4 lymph nodes involved. She had a radical mastectomy plus radiation and left her other breast. These were the days before chemo, let alone hormone therapy, yet her breast cancer never came back. She died over 35 years later in her 70s of something totally unrelated. So yes, you can survive a stage 3 cancer diagnosis!

• stephilosphy00
    stephilosphy00 Member Posts: 161

This gives me hope!

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458

It just goes to show how different we all are. We just don't know if we will be one of the lucky ones or not, even with the best diet/exercise, etc we do.

• Mimidi
    Mimidi Member Posts: 48

I received the very same news in November, 2010.  I had a breast removal and immediate reconstruction.  I had 6 month of intensive chemo (the red devil) and then 30 plus radiation treatments.  I am taking a hormone blocker as my cancer was hormone driven.  IDC   I am now 6 years NED.

I volunteer at my local Breast Health Center two days a week just to pass on to others that breast cancer is NOT a death sentence.  The treatment is hell but it is doable and the end you can have a full happy life.

Will my cancer come back?  Not a clue but I do not dwell on that.  Just trying to make the most of every second, minute, hour, day, month and year. 

Would love to talk to you one on one to offer you encouragement.

• jadisn
    jadisn Member Posts: 2

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply to this post. I had the same question, and your posts are reassuring. I have got my first apt with my onc today to find out about what chemo I'll be doing.

• iamelaine
    iamelaine Member Posts: 39

My oncologists always says, "You will know you are cured when you die of something else". That is my plan. I was diagnosed almost 13 years ago with a 7cm ILC with 11+ nodes. Still here and kicking!