Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Has anyone ever LOST weight while taking Arimidex?

Options
2»

Comments

• Bettebet
    Bettebet Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Special K

You mentioned an anti inflammatory diet.

Is that a published one ? Or did you piece one together?

Thanks

Brooke

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited March 2018
    Options

Yes, I follow The Virgin Diet, for the most part. If you google that you can get an outline, but if you go back to the beginning of this thread check the links I posted for the same. Let me know if you have any specific questions

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984
    edited March 2018
    Options

My answer is yes, you can take off weight. And yes, it may be the generic you are on that causes weight gain.

December 31 2015, I weighed 175 pounds. I am 5 feet tall. I was obese.

By diagnosis (June 2016) I weighed 157.

I continued to take off the pounds thru chemo and Herceptin.

I wanted to weigh no more than 130 when I had my implant surgery (January 2017). I got to that. My Oncologist did agree to put me on a diuretic for swelling. I still take that Rx because my hands and feet swell.

I was on 2 generic brands of Arimidex (GSMS and TEVA) when I started in April 2017 thru August 2017. When I started the drug I weighed 123 and by August I was up to 127. I was p'od! The other side effects were horrid. I kept track on them in an excel spreadsheet and gave it to my Oncologist. He had enough data to prescribe the name brand and have my insurance approve it. Within a month, I was back to 123.Today I range between 123 and 125. My husband has lost 85 pounds during the same time period.

I walk 5 days a week at a pretty good clip. When it gets warmer I will start water exercises again.

As for my diet, we are meats with fresh vegetables and fruits. We avoid starchy carbs (no white potatoes, rice, breads ...). We also avoid gluten and on the rare occasions I make a break or pizza it is gluten-free. Avoiding gluten has helped with the inflammation Arimidex causes in me.

Best wishes as you deal with this.

Coach Vicky

• Catsnedeker27
    Catsnedeker27 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2018
    Options

I'm losing a pound a week with no change in diet or exercise. I'm still good; I started out overweight but the consistent loss has me a little worried.

• wendymac1
    wendymac1 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi,

I too am worried about my weight loss on Arimidex. With everything that I read, I should be gaining weight but I am losing.

I am not sure if there is something wrong or if I am just reacting different than most people.

• Nra1234
    Nra1234 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hello, I was on tamoxifen for 8 years, then needed a hysterectomy and oophorectomy due to side effects from the tamoxifen. Now, I'm on an aromatase inhibitor. It's been 2 months and I have gained about 5 pounds. And my fingers are so swollen when I put on my wedding band that my finger turned blue. Very frustrating. You're not alone. I have to be on it for 2 years. The other side effect I've experienced is pain in my knees. And my joints crack a lot now. I'm 44 years old, and average weight, size 4. The one good thing about switching medications is my hair and nails seen to be growing faster. My hair never came back as thick after the chemo.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited April 2020
    Options

Dear Nra1234,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry for your diagnosis and treatment difficulties. We are very glad that you reached out to our members for their input. We know that you will find lots of support here on the discussion boards. We notice that this particular thread has not seen activity since 2018. You might consider posting your question on this Arimidex thread that sees a lot of traffic and it may be more visible there. Let us know if we can be of help in any way as you navigate your way around.

The Mods