Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

DIEP Flap Reconstruction 2017

Comments

• suburbs
    suburbs Member Posts: 398
    edited June 2017

ali84, bigsister 2015, and aquilegia, thank you for the clarification in the cartilage removal. Probably a good thing that I was unaware of this before I made my final decision. I thought my research was thorough but I missed thus aspect. Thanks again

• aggiemegs
    aggiemegs Member Posts: 86
    edited June 2017

I have decided that I have a love/hate relationship with this binder. It irritates me when I'm wearing it...I don't usually like anything clingy on me, so it's irritating. But at the same time, I can't stand not wearing it! It is so supportive, it really does make everything feel so much better! But, ugh! I want to rip it off!

End rant. :)

• Falconer
    Falconer Member Posts: 801
    edited June 2017
    Aggiemegs,
    Agreed. My nurse told me she wore hers for six months after she had a tummy tuck. Hm. I'm lucky I last 6 weeks!
  • cdv4251992
    cdv4251992 Member Posts: 110
    edited June 2017

My post has been eaten three times so long story short 14 weeks after surgery I'm told a binder or compression for support might be a good idea. I'm not happy this is just coming up now. Where do I find something? Iwas given no guidance at the office. Will something like spanx do or is there something else? I plan to call back Monday to try to talk to the nurse who is more informative than the doctor but would like to get something this weekend.

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited June 2017

cdv. You can often find these type devices at a home health store shoppers home health medigas if u have them in your area. Not sure if CVs has a home health component

• Falconer
    edited June 2017

My PS hated the binder they sent me home w from the hospital and said, Can't you just get Spanx or something? So I did.

• cdv4251992
    cdv4251992 Member Posts: 110
    edited June 2017

Thanks! Think I'llfind a spanx type garment and try that.

• tnd22
    tnd22 Member Posts: 39
    edited June 2017

ndtracy I would like to know average recovery time and your questions too! I am scheduled for DIEP Sept 18, quite a long way away. My surgeon told me 5 weeks off work, not sure how normal and true that is. I don't like my expanders at all and wonder if implants feel like this or differently. I am comforted to think about my own tissue transplantation rather than a foreign object in my body.

• aquilegia
    aquilegia Member Posts: 54
    edited June 2017

I have a hate-hate relationship to the binder. I developed an itchy rash on my sides and abdomen from contact with it - 10 days out from surgery, it's more uncomfortable to me than anything related to the actual surgery. I wear a camisole underneath and apply cortisone cream several times a day, but the rash isn't getting much better.

• Pambc010417
    Pambc010417 Member Posts: 89
    edited June 2017

I had a double mastectomy with a DIEP Flap reconstruction on 3/8/17. My surgery went very well and I felt minimal pain, only used advil once I came home from the hospital at five days. I was healing fairly well until I started taking chemo on April 26, 2017 which was 7 weeks after my surgery. Now I'm having swelling and bloating above and below my abdomen incision. Has anyone else experienced this while taking chemo after surgery? I was told by recovery would slow down during chemo but I didn't think it would digress. I am taking Taxotete and Cytoxan, 4 treatments, every 21 days.

• botzey
    botzey Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017

Hi everyone,

I had my DIEP on March 3rd. Dr Robinson and Dr Korn were great. My left breast had bloodflow issues just before he closed it up so he had to go back in and trim it up to re-establish bloodflow. No binders, no bandages.

The worst part of recovery for me was back pain. Being on the operating table for 10 hours caused my back to go out. I could not stand for more than 1 to 2 minutes or my legs would give out. I stayed at hospital 3 days. Once my drains were removed I could stand up straight and my back began to heal. I slept in my bed propped up with a wedge and 7 other pillows. My poor hubby had no room. Pain meds made me itch like crazy. Dr Robinson finally had me take ibuprofen, and that helped.

I needed a lot of help in the beginning. I couldn't stand so I needed a bath chair. I borrowed my mother's extra walker that had a seat to take my walks. I could walk anout 3 houses then sit for a few. I couldn't reach my feet due to abdominal drains.

I went back to work at my desk job full time April 17. That was just over 6 weeks. I was definately exhausted by the end of the day. I think half days may have been a better choice. My upper abdomen would be very sore by the end of the day. I had been bumping up against the desk throughout the day but could not feel it. I solved this by keeping a small pillow on my lap to act as a buffer. At about the 6 weeks I could lay on my sides for 20 minutes but it would hurt when i got up. So I've been sleeping on my back. I bought a maternity pillow and I love it. It cuts out all those other pillows.

I just had stage 2 revision on June 8. I had my side revised from healing twisted. A painfull scar on my left boob cut out. Then He did some fat grafting to make them fuller. All went well but not sure how things will look in the end. I have a line where the flap skin meets my boob skin that forms an indention. Im nervous about it. I should be out of work one to 2 weeks. I have percocet for pain. It's making me loopy, and itchy. So benadryl to counteract that. Sorry if I'm all over the place.

I actually slept in the recliner this time. I may try to sleep in my bed in a couple of days. My hips/hiney is bruised from the lipo. So rolling into bed is out for now.

I have a drain in each breast again. The right one hurts and burns when it is milked. The nurse thinks it has a tissue clot that should eventually come into the drain. But man it burns and brings me to tears. I will call the office tomorrow to see if they want to take it out.

But it is all worth it. My friends, my family and I have had several discussions lately about if I feel I made the right choice. Mine was prophylactic due to genetics. I would do it again in a heartbeat. There are so many strong brave women here and I pray for you.

• BigSister-2015
    BigSister-2015 Member Posts: 298
    edited June 2017

NDTracy, the recovery time varies per person. Generally you will start getting your energy back at the 3 week mark. I read of one woman who was rock climbing at 6 weeks. I was more like 8 weeks before I was back up and functioning almost normally.

I think it depends on your health coming into the thing. Sepsis just about killed me 5 months before my DIEP, so I was still regaining strength after that. Chemo or radiation would do the same.

The important thing with the DIEP is to find a surgeon who is skilled in it with lots of experience. The Center for Restorative Breast Surgery in New Orleans is cutting edge, but not all can afford to go there. Many teaching hospitals have excellent teams. I had to travel a couple hours to Indianapolis where the gifted Dr. Chu did mine.

I am delighted with this surgery. With implants, you risk infection or contracture. They need to be swapped out every 10 years. (Surgery when I am 65, then 75, then 85? Ugh) implant are placed under the muscle. They squish every time you use that muscle--every time you pick something up.

And the tummy tuck is a nice perk!

I was encouraged that on the 2014 DIEP thread, 100% of the women there were happy with their choice, even those with complications.

It may feel like a lot of surgery and recovery, which it is. But when you compare it to the number of surgeries and visits for expansion, it all comes out in the wash

• Beach4
    Beach4 Member Posts: 14
    edited June 2017

I'm just over 8 weeks post Diep. Moving around really well, still have to watch how much I lift till the 3 month period. I am still having stitches pop out of my tummy incision..so annoying! Anyone else experience this and if so for how long.

Interesting reading about binders. I was not told to wear anything. Do find soft sports bras are nice, but could only do that recently. Prior was just a tank top under a loose shirt.

Happy healing everyone.

• Falconer
    edited June 2017

Beach4- that is so interesting about the bra! I've been told to sleep in mine! My noob never gets air. I'm not a fan of this. I had a hernia repair and my abdominal muscles stitched back together so that might be why the binder is a must?

• aquilegia
    edited June 2017

Falconer - I was also told by the PS not to wear a bra or tight clothing - they don't want any compression that could interfere with blood flow to the flap. I don a tank top, wrap the abdominal binder around that, and put a mastectomy camisole with pockets to hold the drains over the lot. When I want to look presentable, I wear a loose blouse that covers all the lumpy layers. It gets hot with all those layers! I can't wait until the drains come out later this week and I can ditch the camisole.

ndtracy - I might be on the low end of recovery time-- 12 days out from surgery, I have plenty of energy and no pain, but find I need to nap at least once a day. I'll probably ask to shorten my medical leave to 4 weeks from the planned six.

• Falconer
    edited June 2017

I'm going to sleep braless tonight. After the day's heat and humidity I just want some airflow!

Thanks for the feedback aquilegia

• BigSister-2015
    edited June 2017

Thankfully my PS didn't like binders. He wanted everything open so that the incisions could be monitored consistently.

Once my drains were out, I started wearing yoga pants,thanks to recommendations from the 2014 DIEP thread. I had never owned a pair before my surgery. They revolutionized my life! My girls laughed as they all loved wearing them.

Anyway, yoga pants gave just a little tummy compression that felt good without squishing. They were my mainstay for months.

Finally got my green beans planted today before the rain hit. I haven't done much with my garden since the beginning of this journey over two years ago. It was fun to get into the dirt! However, I could have done without the 90 degree weather.

• MichCali
    MichCali Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2017

Hello Everyone,

I have a question for anyone who's already had the Diep surgery. I know it's recommended to sleep in a recliner chair. How long did you have to sleep in the chair? I'm looking into getting one. I know the motorized would probably be better since I have to watch the stitches in my stomach. But i wasn't planning on adding furniture.

Thanks

• Tpralph
    Tpralph Member Posts: 281
    edited June 2017

Beach, I too am having a few stiches coming out and a couple of spots that aren't healing as well.  Told by the nurse to paint them with betadine and air dry.

Michcali, I have a regular recliner at home but slept in my bed propped up on pillows and pillows under my knees, 

my abdominal muscles have been pretty good throughout this. So was able to get out of bed and chairs on my own from the start. Good luck . You can also by a bed wedge

• BigSister-2015
    edited June 2017

MichCali, I did not get a recliner. I did get a 7" wedge for my bed that I found helpful. Many others have just used a bunch of pillows.

You could just as easily use a zero gravity canvas recliner. We had one on hand that my husband uses for his bad back, and it came in handy.

• Wordlady
    Wordlady Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2017

MichCali, I did buy a used recliner on Craigslist for $100 and was really glad I did. I slept in it altogether about 4-1/2 weeks, because I had to have revision surgery 3 weeks after the first surgery and had drains in for most of that time. So I slept in it the first 2-1/2 weeks, then spent a few nights in bed that weren't very comfortable, then my second surgery and another 2 weeks in the recliner before I was really able to get comfortable in the bed (using a foam wedge). Partially, though, I think this was because we have a Tempurpedic mattress, which I usually adore, but which is definitely more difficult to turn over in and get out of.

The recliner I bought is a La-Z-Boy but it is manual, not electric, and not a lift chair. It was in very good condition. I bought it because I couldn't find anywhere locally that I could rent one for a short term, as in less than 6 months. The first couple of nights after my first surgery, my husband needed to help me get up out of the recliner, but I didn't have any trouble after that. I'm short, so I had gotten an extender for the handle on Amazon and that made it quite easy for me to manage it.

To make room for the recliner we had to move a different chair out of the bedroom for the time being, and I originally had intended to sell it again after my surgeries, but now I'm not so sure. I've gotten quite fond of it, and expect to continue using it during the day throughout chemo/radiation (starting chemo next Wednesday), and then for sleeping again next year when I can get my RE-reconstruction. :-) If you can find a used one at a cheap price, and have somewhere you can put it, I'd say get one...it's nice to have the option.

• aquilegia
    edited June 2017

I spent the second night after surgery in a recliner - it was more comfortable and easier to get out of than the hospital bed. But after I got home, a wedge pillow, a couple of pillows under my knees and a bed rail to pull myself up by (on the side opposite my mastectomy) was sufficient. If you're having a bmx and can't pull yourself up, a recliner or adjustable bed would be nice, but you may only need it for a week or two.

• Mhud648
    Mhud648 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2017

I used my recliner off and on for 2 weeks after my DIEP surgery. I would get tired of it and sleep in my bed with lots of pillows, my bead also reclines so very helpful. The recliner has been a blessing, it gives me a consistent place to sit and nap throughout the day.

• MAPBB
    MAPBB Member Posts: 20
    edited June 2017

Hello Group,

I'm heading to New Orleans for Stage 2 next week. They are saying that recovery time is one week but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the amount of time off work after Stage 2? I can work from home. They are saying that I'll only need one night in the hospital. I've heard that liposuction is painful for a while. I'd love to hear from others. thanks!

• BigSister-2015
    edited June 2017

A week should do it after stage 2. The liposuction donor site will be sore for awhile, but it shouldn't slow you down much.

• MichCali
    MichCali Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2017

Thanks everyone for the recliner suggestions and all of the other helpful tips and suggestions. I really

appreciate it. Have a nice weekend!

• botzey
    botzey Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2017

Hello MAPBB, I had stage 2 on June 8 and will be going back to work tomorrow. That will be 11 days. My surgery was outpatient, no overnight in the hospital. I drove at 7 days. I wish I had a few more days before going back. I am having trouble getting tops over my head. Lipo was not painful, but mainly bruised and is tender black and purple. It looks worse than it feels. I hope all goes well for you and pray for a quick recovery.

• jbdayton
    jbdayton Member Posts: 163
    edited June 2017

botzey so glad your stage 2 went so well.

I was very lucky during each of my fat graftings. I agree the lipo can be tender to the touch but did not stop me from doing anything after about 7 days except lifting restrictions.

I changed doctors for my last fat grafting and abdominal incision repair with hernia repair and was given a compression binder. It made recovery much easier than my original flap surgeries.

I used a recliner after every procedure. I even spent several nights sleeping in it. I still love my recliner for tv time.

Good wishes to everyone preparing for their surgeries and those recovering. It is so encouraging to hear most everyone is moving forward with minimal complications.

• cwayman650
    cwayman650 Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2017

I had my DIEP this last Jan. I still seem very sore around the top center of my chest. At the base of my neck and over to the sides. Some of it's where the scars are and some of it's above the scars. Does anyone else have this? I also can't stand anything pressing against this area. I know that in the big picture it hasn't been that long, but it seems long enough to me. Maybe I'm just in a hurry.

• Falconer
    edited June 2017

Pambc- I know it's been a while since you asked, but I'm wondering if the bloating above and below your incision went down at all.