Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation April 2017

Options

Comments

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2017
    Options

Butterfly - Adding my congrats! Wishing you well as you start in on Arimidex. I started in April & SEs have not been too troublesome - let us know if you do start a new thread and I will jump in.

6cats - As my RO's Nurse Practioner advised me: take it easy, your body has been & is going through a lot. Fatigue from rads is pretty normal. Try to baby yourself insofar as possible.

Healing thoughts & gentle hugs to all.

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 768
    edited May 2017
    Options

FightingtheFight, how are you doing? I was ready to walk away when my first radiation mapping session went so badly, a very minor annoyance compared to the traumatic events you've endured on top of the #$&@# cancer diagnosis. I hope you can persevere, but understand why you're feeling emotionally spent.

I hated getting my photos done at the plastic surgeons' offices when I was considering mastectomy with my boobs hanging down to my waist and my belly and thighs drooping from losing 100 pounds. I was extremely annoyed that the breast imaging center didn't have plus size exam gowns given that you have to walk down a hallway from the dressing room to the imaging room. I'm obese, but know there are women who weigh more than me and may not have thought to wear a loose fitting, non-clingy shirt as I did since the little cape was a joke and the robe had narrow arms. If any place should be sensitive to the issue, you'd think it would be a breast imaging center.

There was a cancellation so I will get to see about breast reduction this week instead of next. As great as it would be to not have to hoist my F / G bosom up counting the minutes before I can ditch my bra, I'm concerned about ending up too small if I can lose more weight. Just think of me as Goldilocks! ;-). I'm worried about how reduction scars would fare during radiation, but hope the shorter protocol would mean fewer skin issues.

CONGRATS, Butterfly!

Lyn

• Giginb
    Giginb Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2017
    Options

Congrats Butterfly!

6cats, I agree with what others have said. You have been through a lot. Listen to your body and take care of yourself.

VHL- I have similar feelings as you. I hated getting the photos taken at the PS office and the last thing I was about to do is sign a waiver so they can post before and afters on their website.

I went in for 13 of 33 today. My RO team is very professional and kind. I think the modesty issues I have are "MY" issues. Probably having to do with everything I have gone through having this DX and then some. My SE's regarding radiation so for are only slight discoloration on treated breast.

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027
    edited May 2017
    Options

If anyone wants to give name suggestions for "our" new thread please add them here. I'm stumped!

• WenchLori
    edited May 2017
    Options

6cats, please listen to your body and rest when it says to rest. Fighting it will only make it worse. I tried and ended up sleeping for 21 hours straight. Talk about a shocker!

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited May 2017
    Options

I am also using mometasone cram once daily. And cereVe cream at night all over nreast and collarbone area

Anyone experiencing heaviness in chest? And some heartburn?

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited May 2017
    Options

Checking in to see how everyone is doing. It's a rainy day and decided to skip yoga. I'm achy from it and my treated breast is itchy. Using hydrocortisone cream and aloe and coconut oil. Giving myself some R&R today.

Wench - been thinking about a new thread or we can keep this one going. Is anyone starting Anastrozole inhibitors soon? I'm suppose to start in a week. I'm wondering if we should start a support thread for that? "Done with rads onto AIs?"

Sending love and good thoughts to all.

• celiac
    edited May 2017
    Options

Butterfly - I started AIs on 4/4/17, so this is my 1 month anniversary. SEs have been minor thus far.

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited May 2017
    Options

Great idea for a new thread butterfly! I still have 3 more weeks of rads before we get to the AI discussion....

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

I started the new thread...check it out.

Thanks also CeliaC for joining us on new thread.

• WenchLori
    edited May 2017
    Options

🦋, I'll be on Tamoxifen but I'll drop in and see how you are doing although I won't be able to lend any guidance. I'm just nosy this way. I added your new thread to my favorites

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

Wench - we always need your expertise. No matter where we are and our experiences we're all in this together. This is another thread in addition to the one you suggested. Hugs!

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2017
    Options

WenchLori - I'll be on Tamoxifen too. Probably will be starting it in late May.

• WenchLori
    edited May 2017
    Options

IL Sunrise, I just joined the group Bottle 'o Tamoxifen. There seems to be a few newbies on there, I've just started to read a bit but it seems to be a good place to start.

Smile

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    edited May 2017
    Options

That's great news, Celia. It will be a while for me but I'll be on Arimidex, too.

MJ

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

Anyone having lots of itchiness? The hydrocortisone cream my RO gave me is not working. Just a little light pink and no burning. Maybe the itching is part of the healing? Any suggestions?

• siciliana
    siciliana Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2017
    Options

Butterfly, I am having itchiness, and yesterday it was driving me nuts! But today it seems better. I have been applying triamcinolone acetamide and it works pretty well on the itchy rash. 21 down, 9 to go!

• WenchLori
    edited May 2017
    Options

Butterfly, the stuff my RO gave me didn't work for me so I picked up some Cortisone Escama cream and that took care of it.

• celiac
    edited May 2017
    Options

Did anyone receive a scrip for Mometasone Furoate 1%? That's what RO gave me and it seemed for work for the effects I had.

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks all for suggestions. I left a message for RO nurse. The nurses seem very reluctant to give me anything other than telling me to use aloe, eucerin or aquaphor (which makes me itchy) and hydrocortisone. I did get RO to approve my coconut oil for hydration, And of course its Friday with upcoming weekend.

• Ruby3813
    Ruby3813 Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2017
    Options

Butterfly - congrats on finishing rads! My last one was 4/21. I got to ring the bell and I was given a cute little pink teddy bear by one of the radiation techs.

I'll be starting Anastrozole in about a week. The label says to start 2 - 3 weeks after final radiation treatment. I have Anthem Blue Cross and they don't pay for brand name Arimidex. I'm hoping to not have any SE's from the generic because it's virtually free of charge.

I'm still having pain in my upper arm on the affected side. It's like a muscle ache in the bicep area. I don't think it's from the positioning. I didn't have to hold onto handles. Each patient had a mold made when starting and we would use that each time we came in...except for the last 4 boosts where I was on my side. Any thoughts as to what might cause this? It's like I've been doing heavy lifting on that side.

One of the gals at work asked me if I was in remission now. I told her neither my RO nor my MO has used that terminology and that I thought until I have another mammogram to see if the cancer is gone, then I wouldn't know if I'm in remission. Is that everyone's understanding or do I have it completely wrong?

Onward and upward! I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

Update: RO prescribed 2% Benadryl ointment. Also suggested using Aveeno bath salts. Can put on damp face cloth and apply to breast if I don't want to sit in a tub. I'm waiting before I take a bath.

Ruby - thank you. We'll meet up on the other thread. Pain in arm could be from tension. I have lots of aches and pains that come and go.

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

RO prescribed 2% Benadryl cream. Also suggested Aveeno bath salts when I'm ready to take a bath or can put it on damp face cloth and soak breast. As long as skin is not broken

Ruby - thank you. We'll connect on our other thread as well. Pain in arm could be tension. I know I hold tension through out my body and have all kinds of aches and pains that come and go,

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited May 2017
    Options

Ruby3813 - Great question! I don't know the answer but hopefully others will.I have some pain in my upper chest and into my arm. My RO thinks it's tension from holding still during rads. I tend to agree as I can stretch it out or massage it and it feels better.

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2017
    Options

My RO said I could use Alocane (http://alocane.com/) for pain under my arm that is bothering me. He said I could just mix it half/half with the cream I am already using which is TriDerma. So, I"m going to try that this weekend. I need to stop by Wal-greens to pick some up. It's over the counter.

• sorella
    sorella Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2017
    Options

butterfly and fightingthefight, you have both brought up fine points. To add my two cents, I would like to say that this thinking positively has to be interpreted in a way that allows us to accept the fear and anguish of our situation. If the positive thinking turns into self blame for thinking otherwise, it defeats the purpose. I read a book called, Bright Sided years ago about this subject. We have to allow ourselves our feelings, the hopeful ones, the angry ones, and the terrified ones. This is not a day at the beach (other than the sunburn!) I am going to look for the power of now.

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

Sorella - I agree with you 100%. This is a safe place to voice our fears, concerns, questions, and frustrations. It's also a good place to offer hope. We must hold onto hope with both hands as we ride the cancer rollercoaster.

Eckart Tolle, The Power of Now, is a life changer for me. I read it before my Dx and continue to read it now.

Gentle hugs to all!

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited May 2017
    Options

congrats to those finishing up. I'm on 12 out of 25! I hope some are still hanging around to support each other. I have enjoyed reading the posts and find them helpful.

I am scared to death that his crap will come back again. I am hopeful with all that my docs have told me but I'm youngish and worried I have too many years left and fear a recurrence.

How have you all held on to the positive ? I feel like a black cloud hanging over me and think about my kids losing their Mom which makes me depressed.

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

scaredashell - it's not always easy to be positive and I think it's unrealistic. I'm scared as hell too. I look at family and friends and sometimes I feel like a spectator. That black cloud is often overhead. But, the sun is always shining behind the clouds, we just can't always feel it's warmth. Our bodies are going through so many physical changes which also affects our emotional well being I do know from other cancer survivors that as time goes on cancer takes a back seat. It doesn't define who they are. Perhaps in time it will be the same for us. In the meantime we will find our new normal with each other and the help of others. We can name our fears and in doing so lessen their power over us. We can embrace every minute of every day and express gratitude for all that we have been given. Now having written all of this geeze I miss wine!

• 6cats
    6cats Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2017
    Options

I am someone who has had a second breast cancer.... not a recurrence because the first one was HER2+ and the second was ER+/PR+. For me, I started out "scared as hell", but at the four-year mark (when I was diagnosed), I only got scared when it was time for annual mammo (and although I didn't feel the lump, I "knew" they'd find cancer this time).

For those of you who have positive nodes and/or have had mastectomies, I would suspect the battle is much more frightening.

That doesn't mean I like this cruddy disease... and I'm having a heck of a time with radiation!! At 9/20, I can barely drive to my job!! And I have a permanent, plum-sized "seroma" from my first BC that always reminds both me and my husband that cancer is part of our lives.

I can eat healthy, try to keep my weight under control, avoid foods, exercise,etc. but, for me I have to live with an attitude of gratitude. The first was caught early, the second was caught early, I have a family that loves me... and if a third should appear... I will deal with it when it happens. Life is too short to have fear live rent-free in my brain!