Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation April 2017

Options

Comments

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027
    edited May 2017
    Options

Yay Bdagal! I'm sure your family will be thrilled to have you back home! Safe travels and please send us some of your ocean breezes!

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited May 2017
    Options

Quick question - did anyone's nipple get red from rads? All of a sudden tonight mine isreally red and itchy

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2017
    Options

Butterfly - Yes. Used the scrips for Lidocaine ointment & Mometasone Furoate 1% for relief.

• fallswalker
    fallswalker Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2017
    Options

There has been a bit of discussion about covering vs not covering during radiation. I asked why I had to be completely uncovered waist up when only my left breast is being treated. In my case, I am doing the DIBH and the machine needs to be able to read my skin, I think with the grid they use to line up. They track positioning both when I'm breathing normally and when I'm holding. If I'm out of position, the machine will not blast me--to avoid damaging the heart or lungs. Smart machine! I'm not bothered by this, and guess that's a good thing!

• fallswalker
    edited May 2017
    Options

I would also be interested in with a thread for finishing rads and on to Arimidex/Anastrozole. I finish rads on May 18th and begin the hormone therapy. They are doing a bone density scan on the 16th for a baseline. I'm worried about SEs from the Arimidex and will be interested in compatriots' journeys along with mine!

• fallswalker
    edited May 2017
    Options

Congrats on finishing and safe travels home!

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

Celia - thank you!

fallswalker - see you on the other thread. 2nd day of Arimidex and so far good

I'm healing pretty well. The itching is the worst part,

Gentle hugs all!

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi All,

I finished up rads 8 days ago. I was doing really well. The last few days I've had increased itching and a rash that comes and goes. Are these flare ups normal after rads are done? My RO prescribed 2% Benadryl which I'm using with aloe spray. Is this just part of the healing process?

• letsgogolf
    letsgogolf Member Posts: 65
    edited May 2017
    Options

#25 radiation treatment in the books. 11 more to go. Still in pretty good shape with the exception of my supraclavicular area which is a very wounded and red. I have been using Aquafor, Cedaphil and Aloe Vera but nothing is helping that area. I bought some coconut oil cream which seemed to make things a bit worse. Ideas, anybody?

• siciliana
    siciliana Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2017
    Options

Letsgogolf, I have the same problem, also having completed 25. The supraclavicular area is really red and looks like some skin could rub off if I'm not careful. Also, my upper right back is really red. I have been using Miaderm up until now, which I really like, but today I tried Trader Joe's Aloe Vera gel after I got home from my treatment. We'll see. Fortunately for me, tomorrow is the first of five boosts and then I'm done. So no more radiation to that area. I don't think my collarbone could take much more! But really, it looks worse than it feels.

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited May 2017
    Options

I've done 17/29 and also am starting to get red and a bit itchy in the supraclavicular area. The only thing I've been using is Glaxal Base. I'm going to ask if there is something else that would help more when I go in at 8am.

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2017
    Options

My RO told me to try a half and half mixture of Allocane with the cream I had been using to help with the pain in the areas that were extremely red and burned. So, I use TriDerma radiation cream with the Allocane. You can find Allocane at most pharmacies. I purchased it at Wal-greens in the first aid section. It has helped with some of the pain, but once the lidocaine effect wears off then it's uncomforable again.

I have 5 more boosts to go and am hoping my skin doesn't dissolve under my arm near the side of my breast. I do see my RO again today and am going to ask if there is anything else I can do in addition to the half/half mixture.

• letsgogolf
    edited May 2017
    Options

Siciliana, I have 3 more and then 8 boosts. Hope I can make it. I sometimes wonder if I am using too much lotion and too frequently. I guess everybody is different. Mine also looks much worse than it feels. I find that I can no longer find tops to cover this area in order to avoid questions from folks.

ILSunrise Thanks for the info. I may try the Allocane.

bravepoint Seems like several of us are having trouble with this area. Best wishes to you!

• 6cats
    6cats Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2017
    Options

I'm at just 13/20 and have started redness in the supraclavicular (you guys are so smart! I had to look that up!) area. But more concerning, is the crease under my breast... It is red and painful. I am a 38DD so am very uncomfortable being without a bra... any suggestions?

• WenchLori
    edited May 2017
    Options

Sounds like everyone is moving right along in your treatments. You are all in my thoughts and prayers daily.

I pray that no one here goes through what I went through with the skin under my arm. It just melted away one morning, but once I was finished with rads it cleared up within 2 weeks time. If I ever have to go through this again I will never use a petroleum based product like A&D ointment or Aquaphor as recommended. If you are having a bad time of things and using a petroleum based product you may want to ask about not using it any longer.

There is someone on another thread that had finished rads last June and she's still having issues with red, angry and at times infected skin. I feel for her and pray that her skin clears up once and for all 🙏

6cats, you can try using a nonstick sterile pad under your breast, between your skin and the bra. It helped when I put a pad between my arm and the skin in my armpit.

I know you all can do this! We've got this BC crap on the run!

• celiac
    edited May 2017
    Options

6cats - try wearing a tank underneath a stretched out bra. You can also obtain a single sling or a pad to put in the "crease" from LotstoLiveFor.com - I used the single sling & it worked for me (worked during rads, so only wore once I got home).

I echo Lori's thought on petrolatum based products & refused to use the RO recommended Aquaphor.

For underarm - see if you can prop up on a pillow at night to avoid skin-to-skin contact.

Strongly urge everyone to speak up to the RO or Rad Nurse and demand something for relief. Maybe they can prescribe Mometasone Furoate 1%, or Lidocaine or if it is getting severe Silvadene? Fortunately, my skin never got to a seriously red/burnt state, but I did use the Mometasone & Lidocaine & they worked for my ouchy bits.

Healing thoughts & gentle hugs to all. You can do this!

• alpLewes24
    alpLewes24 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2017
    Options

My daughter wants to make me a cream of organic shea butter and organic coconut oil and I see that you are using the two. How is that going? I am now using miaderm which is fine but she doesn't like some of the chemicals in it

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

My RO let me use Shea Moisture coconut oil. I'm using that with prescription 2% Benadryl cream and.aloe spray,

• WenchLori
    edited May 2017
    Options

If anyone uses Silvadene, be very, very careful not to get it on your healthy skin! It will remove it too!! Been there! Done that! And don't ever want a return trip!

• LAW193
    LAW193 Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2017
    Options

I was literally about to put aquaphor on when I read the comments here about it. I have had 8/19 and just started getting red and Itchy. Can you tell me more what the problems with petroleum based products might be? My RO suggested it forat night

• WenchLori
    edited May 2017
    Options

LAW, for me it blocked any air getting to my skin and it held a lot of moisture in. It was hard for me to wash off before my treatments and just irritated my skin even more. Petroleum products are very heavy and fit me it caused more harm than good. I'll be praying you don't have the same problems.

• celiac
    edited May 2017
    Options

LAW193 - Many years ago, I attended a lecture by a Burt's Bees rep at local bookstore who carried their products & she advised to steer clear of products for the skin that contain petrolatum. I also have sensitive skin. This is why I refused to use Aquaphor, even though it was recommended by both RO & Rad Nurse. Also, as WenchLori says, it is hard to wash off. It stains, too (your bed linens, nightwear, etc.)

• LAW193
    LAW193 Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2017
    Options

thank you wenchlori and celiac. I just stuck with the curel that I have been using all along for tonight. Maybe I'll try aquaphor tomorrow night just to see if it helps the itching and if I have trouble washing it off on Saturday morning then at least I don't have a treatment. But the heaviness does sound unappealing.

• celiac
    edited May 2017
    Options

See if you can get a scrip for Mometasone Furoate - that's what helped me with the itchies. Presume you have a treatment tomorrow (Friday) - tell a Rad Nurse or RO about your issues & see if you can get one. They wrote me a scrip the same day as my planning session & I started using after 1st treatment. Used at night, only & not hard to wash off.

• Elizabeth7
    Elizabeth7 Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi all - 12/33 done. Waking up with stiff and slightly swollen hands for the last 3 mornings. Can't put my rings on? This happening to anyone else? I think it's radiotherapy related?

• letsgogolf
    edited May 2017
    Options

I agree with previous posts. I hate Aquaphor. Every single time I mention a problem with my skin to anyone at my cancer center they ask if I am using the Aquaphor like it is some kind of miracle product. It is not. I am sticking with my Aloe Vera and Cetaphil for now.

• Ruby3813
    Ruby3813 Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2017
    Options

I used Vaseline Lip Therapy when I went to an Indy 500 race several years ago. Got a terrible sunburn on my lips! And since radiation can cause sunburn like symptoms, I steered clear of it during radiation.

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

I tried aquaphor once and it made me too itchy. I do use it for chapped lips. I think it's too thick to rub on a tender breast. My itching comes and goes. Have a little rash and tender nipple. Using my aloe spray, coconut oil and Benadry 2%. I'm thinking this is all part of the healing process and just have to deal with it. I did read that symptoms manifest themselves a week to 10 days after final treatment and then get better. I have a follow up appointment with RO nurse next week

• Trooper2
    Trooper2 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2017
    Options

Letsgogolf,

During my rad treatment I got blisters and tried the same stuff you did. What worked great for me was Pure 100% coconut oil. I took a little bit put it in a microwave safe dish and heated till it melted (about a minute) then I put one drop of therapeutic lavender in it. The lavender is a option. Just make sure the coconut oil is 100% pure. Hope this helps.

• letsgogolf
    edited May 2017
    Options

Trooper2 Where did you find 100% Coconut Oil? I tried a Coconut Oil cream that I found at Sam's Club but it contained several other ingredients which may have been the problem. Thanks for the info!