Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation April 2017

Options

Comments

• Bdagal
    Bdagal Member Posts: 29
    edited April 2017
    Options

tappermom38....that's interesting! I've never noticed this before!! It's good to know...I won't get freaked out now, cuz I do love beets!

• Elizabeth7
    Elizabeth7 Member Posts: 21
    edited May 2017
    Options

FightingTheFight - Your post has helped me so much. Thank you for being so honest. I find the whole radiotherapy experience cold and that I am not being treated like a whole person with individual needs, just a boob that needs to be radiated at an angle of 94.6 degrees (or something like that!). I didn't realise you didn't have to have both boobs on show? I'm doing the breath hold technique and was good to start with but now I'm so stressed I'm making a mess out of it.

• letsgogolf
    letsgogolf Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2017
    Options

I only get a blanket, which is warm. It is either folded up and barely covers anything or unfolded and I am stepping on it as i walk to the table. The things we go through!

• LAW193
    LAW193 Member Posts: 32
    edited April 2017
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that so many of you had such a hard time. I'm starting tomorrow so I guess I should go find the May group. Just out of curiosity, what was everyone told about deodorant? My RO said to avoid metal but the nurse said studies show it makes no difference to the skin, and that is what I found from googling and from the packet I was given at the radiation dry run last week.

• bravepoint
    bravepoint Member Posts: 232
    edited April 2017
    Options

I was told that as long the deodorant was unscented it was fine to wear it during radiation.

• letsgogolf
    letsgogolf Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2017
    Options

I was told not to use deodorant with aluminum. They suggested Tom's of Maine or Arm & Hammer. No deodorant before radiation each day.

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited April 2017
    Options

I was also old those deodorants and also cornstarch. Nothing prior to treatments.

• Bdagal
    Bdagal Member Posts: 29
    edited April 2017
    Options

My RO told me that it didn't matter what deodorant I used, and that the no aluminum info was not current. Based on my reading here I've been using Toms of Maine though (which I think doesn't work very well, so I can't wait to use my normal stuff!

• Norcalteach
    Norcalteach Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2017
    Options

hi all!

I was wondering if anybody else is having trouble with armpit burning? I have an oozing patch in my armpit and can't figure out how to keep it covered properly so it can start to heal. My RO said to keep my skin in an environment that is conducive to new skin forming. The mepilex and hydrogel pads won't stick and tried somebody's suggestion of sticking a washcloth in my armpit to push against the mepilex and keep it in place but then my arm falls asleep! Maybe just a thick layer of aquaphore will do the trick? I'm going to call my RO tomorrow and ask because I'm sure I'm not the first to have this problem! Just wanted have a comfortable night:

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2017
    Options

Dear BCinGA? I am starting 33 treatments tomorrow or Tuesday. How are you doing since you started in early April? I am very worried and scared.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2017
    Options

LAW193, I start tomorrow (or Tuesday), too.Me too. I'm so scared. Is there a May forum yet? Hoping we can get through this together. : ) I was approved for the 10 day Accuboost, but my surgical clips are too far apart, so they had to switch me to whole breast -- 33 visits. (25 + 8 boosts). I have Miaderm, Miaderm with lidocaine, giant Aquaphor and fresh aloe vera. Sending positive thoughts to those who are going through this, and those of us about to start ... so thankful for this board.

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    edited May 2017
    Options

Good luck tomorrow, Get busy. I see my RO for the first time tomorrow. I started a May radiation thread so come on over!

MJ

• WenchLori
    WenchLori Member Posts: 1,027
    edited May 2017
    Options

Norcalteach, my RO gave me a prescription for silvadene and it worked for my armpit. I had no skin left there by the time I finished radiation. Have you tried the Curad pads? I put my cream on the pad then stuck the pad up under my arm, it worked better than the folded wash cloth. How much pressure are you putting on the folded wash cloth to make your arm go numb? I didn't have that problem when I did it but we are all built differently.

As for the deodorant, I was also told no aluminum. I used Arm & Hammer and I'm still using it as it works great for me.

I wore my gown with the opening to the front and it was only opened far enough for them to see my markers. They even tucked the ends of the gown into the top of my geans to keep it closed.

Good luck to all of you starting your radiation treatments soon!I can't believe it's May already.

• LAW193
    LAW193 Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thank you all for the suggestions. I bought Toms of Maine deoderant yesterday. Luckily today is cold and rainy - not sure how well it will do on a hot sticky day...

My first treatment is today at 4

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

LAW193 - good luck with your first rad!

• WenchLori
    edited May 2017
    Options

Law193, good luck with your first treatment. You got this

• Connie1230
    Connie1230 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2017
    Options

I had my first treatment today. It was much easier than I expected and they were very good about the privacy issue.

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

Connie - so glad it went well for you!

Gentle hugs to all

• WenchLori
    edited May 2017
    Options

Connie, I'm glad you had an easy time and that your team listened to your request for your privacy. Way to go! You've got this! We are here for you!

• Connie1230
    Connie1230 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2017
    Options

I didn't have to ask. They were just good about privacy. There were 2 women and 1 man who either stayed back due to the privacy thing or was in training....which is really what I thought

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2017
    Options

I was told no deodorant on radiated (left) side. After rads done, using my "regular" one, which is propylene glycol & aluminum free - Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil - this seems to work well.

Bdagal - About those beets - I also freaked out when I had the interesting "color", until did some research & found out that not an issue. Who knew, indeed? Not as interesting a color as the "smurf" blue related to SNB, though.

Good to hear that you ladies who want privacy are having your wishes respected. I was offered gowns, but never used them as they needed to bare both breasts for my treatments. My rad techs were women up until the last week, when there was one male, who was very professional & had been doing treatments longer than the women, so probably had seen a multitude of breasts. At age 62,not an issue for me, but 30 years ago, it would have been.

Sending inspirational and healing thoughts to everyone continuing on into May. In prior "months" have shared a number of tidbits about rads, and would be happy to share.

Hope everyone continues to ask questions - Someone who has been there is always at hand with info to share. Gentle hugs to all.

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2017
    Options

I have two more "all-over" rads treatments then I will start 9 boosts. I am so ready to check this off my list. The worse area on me is near my collar bone but I do have a rash on most of the top breast tissue, under my arm and breast.

I was told I could use non-metallic deodorant. So, I have Alra which contains Aloe Vera gel and Oil of Cypress. It works pretty well. It was available at a local medical supply store. I've also been using TriDerma radiation cream which has aloe too as well as Allantoin.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2017
    Options

ILSunrise - Had a scrip of Mometasone Furoate cream that helped with the rash. Maybe you can ask the Rad Nurse or the RO for it? Also had a scrip for Lidocaine ointment that helped as well, when certain areas like nipple & SNB scar became ouchy.

Healing thoughts & gentle hugs to all.

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

I rang the bell today for my last rad! I was given a certificate:

This bell rings for all who walk this path. It celebrates the courage, hope, triumph, strength, faith, and love that gives resonance to its chime.

I share these sentiments because I rang this bell not just for me but also for each and every one of you in this forum.You touch my heart every day and you are my lifelines. And for this I am mostgrateful.

• ilsunrise
    ilsunrise Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2017
    Options

CeliaC - thanks for the info. I do have an RX (leftover from when I got a rash with chemo) for Triamcinolone Acetonide which is a steroid cream for rashes. My RO said I could use it for the rash from rads. I'm going to try it first and then if it doesn't help I'll ask my MO about the two you suggested.

• 6cats
    6cats Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2017
    Options

Day 5 of rads... I'm exhausted! Is it the rads, the femara, or my fibromyalgia flaring up... don't know... but feel lousy!

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    edited May 2017
    Options

Congratulations, Butterfly!! As you end the radiation journey, I am about to begin mine. I take such strength from all of you on this thread. Your suggestions and support mean so much to me and everyone else here! Went to the RO yesterday and the MO today - I, too, will be taking Arimidex post-radiation. I'll be curious to know how that leg of your adventure goes.

MJ

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

I will keep checking in on all of you and sending good thoughts that you experience minimum SEs.

Tappersmom - Thank you. I'm thinking of starting a new topic callled "Starting Anastrozole Inhibitors in May" since the other thread is so long.

• WenchLori
    edited May 2017
    Options

Congratulations Butterfly! I'll be praying the nextstep in your journey goes well. Maybe we should start a thread for all of us girls from this thread?? So we can keep up with each other and lend support as we move along on our journeys. We'd have to think of a catchy name 😊

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

Wench - Thank you. Dont want to lose touch with you all.

6cats - you have a lot going on which may all be factors in your fatigue. I was really fatigued after my first full 5 days but then things got much better. Don't push it, do only what's necessary. I hope things get better for you.