Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Doing Well on Aromatase Inhibitors (AIs)

Options

Comments

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited April 2017
    Options

must love - I can't wait until rads are over so I can soak in a tub again. My treatment center offers therapeutic massages specifically for cancer patients. It's out of pocket but I'm considering it. I'm thinking it might help with aches and pains that may arise from Arimidex.

• 2FUN
    2FUN Member Posts: 789
    edited April 2017
    Options

I have recently discovered Clark 1824 oxfords. Mine are brown with a bronze metallic overlay. They are more comfortable than sneakers. Also I'm a big fan of J-41, Jambu, and all the other trademarks they use.

• 2FUN
    edited April 2017
    Options

I guess I need to decide what is a major SE, and what is minimal. If I have to take ibuprofen every day b/c of the pain, is that major or minor SE. I am usually pretty tough. ...3 surgeries without pain meds after. I see my MO in a month, should I move up my appt?

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,256
    edited April 2017
    Options

I take my analgesics (acetaminophen at bedtime, the COX-2 inhibitor celecoxib—which is easier on the gut than OTC NSAIDs—in the morning) prophylactically. Much easier to prevent or ease minor pain than to reduce major pain—something I learned when I was rehabbing from my knee replacement surgeries, when I vigorously advocated for my painkillers before the pain got past 3 out of 10. There is no honor in suffering (at least no secular honor), and no dishonor in doing what you can & should to prevent or minimize it.

• 2FUN
    edited April 2017
    Options

ChiSandy, so you are OK taking pain meds daily so you can take AI? It's defiantly a risk vs benefit scenario

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited April 2017
    Options

butterfly...nah! But once you begin wearing seriously comfortable shoes..you won't miss Payless or department store sales. Forget Aerosoles, forget Easy Spirit...forget Naturalizers...those are a waste of money! The shoes I mention will last for YEARS! The others...a season or two of serious walking...maybe....

And...I almost forgot..but should be added to the list...Dansko...

And a final thought...have your feet measured. Our feet flatten out with age...wide shoes and deep toe boxes are our best friends....AND...if you do buy shoes at a comfort shoe store...they have shoemakers who are experienced at making serious, but sometimes simple adjustments. No two feet are alike. So why should left and right shoes be the same?

Just sayin'

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

VReader - and let's not forget my beautiful bunion yuck! I'm sold on the shoes. Thanks.

• blooming
    blooming Member Posts: 58
    edited April 2017
    Options

Thanks for sharing your many valuable insights. A few folks have mentioned the importance of not being afraid and of being kind to yourself as well as the importance of finding a team who will listen. Any advice on strategies of identifying folks who will listen effectively and trust you to know your body if you're perceiving something that is "off"?

The shoe thread is also very timely. I should see a podiatrist but I'm having trouble juggling schedules, so I'm hobbling. Thanks, ChiSandy for mentioning Finn-Comfort. I've had such a wonderful experience since I discovered Finn-Comfort. They even have a program where you can pay a fee and they'll refurbish your shoes (sole and all)! I thought I'd never experience foot/toe problems again, but alas, 18 months into my first Finn-Comfort shoes, I'm feeling pain for the first time!

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi all, I began on tamox, then when it was confirmed chemo put me over the edge into full meno, I went on arimidex for 1.5 years. Had mood swings, bloating, depression, anger, and weight gain along with horrible trigger joints in some of my fingers. I was ready to stop completely and my doc asked me to take Aromasin. I did, and after nearly 2 years the only side effect I'm beginning to feel is some soreness in my thumb joints. I expect that when the semester is over and I don't have to type so much (I'm a univ. lecturer) my joints will calm down. All the other symptoms went away completely. I expect to be on this drug for at least 10 years--and maybe for the rest of my life, depending on what future research reveals. My fear is that I'll become immune to its effects.

As for diet, I am about 90% vegan, organic, mostly fruits and veggies with wild caught fish thrown in there from time to time. I eat the occasional dairy but it has to be grass fed, non-RbST (growth hormone) free.

I take a bunch of supplements my naturopath has recommended. Get lots of exercise because I'm a believer about the nurse's study/exercise and recurrence.

Had to get a Prolia shot, first time, for osteopenia. I didn't agree because of that condition; I liked the idea that my bones would be better protected from cancer. I eat 2 tums a night per my MO and let the rest of the calcium requirements come from food. I don't worry about not getting enough, that's for sure. I make sure I take liquid Vit D supps--6000 IU a day again per my naturopath, and K2 to help the calcium do its job. And I don't use sunscreen for the first 1/2 hour I'm outside.

What else? I refuse to wear ugly shoes, but they do have to be comfortable as well. Born shoes feel great to me and in the summer chaco flip-flops are my go-to shoes, but they are pricy (can't remember why we are talking about shoes and AIs but I thought I'd join in--it's a fun topic actually). I can't jump on the Keen bandwagon. My daughter worked for Teva/Deckers/Uggs for years, and she's spoiled me for good shoes since she could get me samples and deep discounts. :)

Claire in AZ

• voraciousreader
    edited April 2017
    Options

Great question blooming...how to identify a physician who has your back and respects your judgment of how you are feeling...simple answer is just like there are so many shoe brands and styles, there are as many physicians and physician personalities...and...the only way of finding out which one is best for YOU...you sometimes have to try on many to find a few that work for you...the better, long answer is...nothing is written in stone when it comes to choosing a physician. I usually begin by asking other doctors who I like and respect for referrals. I also sometimes ask my physicians' office staff for names of doctors who they like...and then I narrow the list until I make a decision. That said,when looking for a doctor, I place a lot of emphasis on physicians' staffs. If they aren't helpful, then I don't care how good the physician is. I want a staff who do their jobs well. And, I want a doctor who is on time...or close to being on time as possible. If those two criteria are met, then chances are the physician will be GREAT. Hope that perspective helps. I always say...a doctor is only as good as their staff. If the staff is lousy...then I walk....that's why I arm myself with comfortable shoes!

• 2FUN
    edited April 2017
    Options

blooming, I got names from every person I knew who had any kind of cancer. Then I got names from every medical professional I know or have an affiliation with. Then I contacted the ones that were on both lists. The miracle for me in all of my health challenges this last year has been my breast surgeon. His office told me to worry about my job, home, finances etc, and let them worry about my medical issues. They guided me to great options for all my other problems that cropped up along the way. If you don't have one medical person to count on you will need to search it out on your own. Are there any cancer support groups in the area?

• 2FUN
    edited April 2017
    Options

so my back pain that I have had for the last week and a half is not from my AI, but a bladder infection, again. Had one 4 days b4 MX, got another one 10 days later. Now 6 weeks out, another. I'm alergic to most antibiotics. ...bummer! Meds had to be special ordered as no.one in town stocks it, so I can't get meds till noon.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hi 2FUN. So sorry you are dealing with frequent UTIs. It can be caused by a lack of estrogen. You might want to try a supplement called D Mannose to help prevent and treat UTIs. Good luck to all...

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,953
    edited April 2017
    Options

also drink tons of water & cranberry juice......not just now, but every day

• voraciousreader
    edited April 2017
    Options

organic cranberry concentrate juice..diluted with whatever you like. Most major supermarkets carry it on the top shelf in a small bottle. Other cranberry juices are a waste.

• voraciousreader
    edited April 2017
    Options

• chisandy
    edited April 2017
    Options

Yes, I am perfectly fine with taking low doses of over-the-counter non-narcotic and COX-2-inhibitor painkillers, and so are my doctors. I took way more Tylenol than that—not to mention NSAIDs such as Aleve--when I still had osteoarthritis of the knees before my replacement surgeries (and while weaning off Norco & tramadol during rehab). None of my other meds contain acetaminophen (I avoid one-pill-does-it-all OTC cold remedies when I get sick), and that one time-release 1300mg. dose at bedtime does no harm. And the 200mg. of celecoxib is pretty much a “starter” dose. I certainly prefer taking those meds to suffering debilitating joint pain—whether from AIs or any arthritis in my body.

• chisandy
    edited April 2017
    Options

As to cranberry juice & UTIs, it’s not the cranberry part of it that works—it’s acidifying your urine to make it less hospitable to bacteria. Lemon juice or unsweetened lemon or limeade would work just as well, acc. to my GYN. (Cranberry just tastes better).

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468
    edited April 2017
    Options

I started out on Tamoxifen for four months until we could see whether I came out of chemopause. I didn't have any side effects at all on it. Unfortunately, I became premenopausal again. I started getting Zoladex shots (until I had an ooph) and took Arimidex. I've been on it for two years now. My side effects have been minimal. Occasionally I feel a little achy, especially my knees. I don't always sleep the greatest, warm flushes occasionally and the texture of my hair has changed (But that's a good thing!). I think exercising has really helped. In the beginning I was walking about 5 miles a day, 6 days a week. I'm not walking quite as much and I can tell a difference in my knees if I go too many days in between. It's hard to tell if these issues are from the drug or going into menopause.

• 2FUN
    edited April 2017
    Options

thanks for all of the UTI wisdom....I have been dealing with this during my perimenopause years. I was doing great until my BC dx. I drink ten 24 Oz glasses of water, probiotics, cranberry tablets, vitamin c, a, and zinc, D-mannose, no sugar, no processed foods and limited carbs ( potatoes, rice, white flour etc). Daily exercise too. Anything to limit inflammation. I am alergic to most antibiotics, so that is my biggest concern. I LOVE my urologist, she is smart and compassionate, and always looking for new solutions. I'll stop complaining now. :)

• butterfly1234
    edited April 2017
    Options

2Fun - no such thing as complaining. This is a safe place to vent and we're here to help. What helps one helps many. Hope you find some relief. UTI is not fun! Sorry I can't add anything to this discussion that hasn't already been suggested.

Thanks to all for keeping this thread going. Blesssings.

• butterfly1234
    edited May 2017
    Options

Checking in to say I'm on my second day of Arimidex and doing fine. I posted on another thread that last nightwas the first time in weeks I slept through the night. I'm going to attribute it to Arimidex. It's my story and I'm sticking to it lol

• Heidibird
    Heidibird Member Posts: 169
    edited May 2017
    Options

If it helps you sleep, then I am jealous! LOL Good luck to you and all of us on our journey!

~Heidi

• 2FUN
    edited May 2017
    Options

when I first started Femara I slept thru the night for the first week. I'm now back to waking up.at 4am, and falling asleep until 5

• mustlovepoodles
    mustlovepoodles Member Posts: 1,248
    edited May 2017
    Options

Don't remember if I weighed in on this thread, but I've been on Femara for 14mo and doing fine. Yes, I have pain in feet and knees, but that's because I'm 60 with severe arthritis and flat feet. Just had knee replacement 12 days ago and the knee is actually LESS painful now, than before surgery. Still taking an NSAID because i dont like narcotics.

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    edited May 2017
    Options

Butterfly1234,

My MO said that Anastrozole makes some women sleepy, so I take mine at night. I don't really think it affects my sleep one way or the other though. Tonight I'm wide awake at nearly 1:00 a.m. which is not typical for me at all!

• GrendelDog
    GrendelDog Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks for the great thread, everyone! Just took my first Anastrozole about 3 hours ago and was pretty nervous given the long list of SEs on the insert (and of course, what I've read on Dr. Google). Great to read about some good responses! Now I can head off to sleep with peaceful dreams -- hopefully :)

• PugsMama
    PugsMama Member Posts: 337
    edited May 2017
    Options

Butterfly: thank you for starting this thread & to all of you who have weighed in. I'm starting next month, you're helping me get there without an open mind & positive attitude!

• Tappermom383
    Tappermom383 Member Posts: 401
    edited May 2017
    Options

i agree, pugsmama! I'm choosing to steer clear of negative comments and wait and see how they affect me (I'll start in July).

MJ