Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Doing Well on Aromatase Inhibitors (AIs)

Options

Comments

• lanne2389
    lanne2389 Member Posts: 220
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi BlueGirl, I take several vitamins and supplements plus Letrozole and Cymbalta, and anything I take 2 of I split btwn AM and PM, except turmeric (AM) and glucosamine (PM). The last two have been from trial and happenstance.

I've been reading/watching nutrition.org for info on plant-based diet, vitamin doses, and especially anti-inflammatories to counteract SEs from Letrozole and BC treatment and it's helped - I feel better and more in control of my overall well-being.

Lanne

• quinnie
    quinnie Member Posts: 113
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi CeliaC: I am doing well across the river here in Cincinnati.No issues with radiation. Only issues with Femora are hot flashes that drive e crazy. My MO increased Lexapro from 10 to 20 mg.I hope this helps. I am thankful I have no other side effects. My R knee is acting up but think that is unrelated. I am training for a long hike in October and may be over doing it. Bless you all.

• havefaithtoday
    havefaithtoday Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2021
    Options

Has anyone dealt with that feeling of a racing heart? I take my pulse but it's fairly normal. I'm dealing with anxiety & depression post treatment and being thrown into menopause all the while with the pandemic and job losses. BUT, I'm wondering if the heart racing is also a side effect of menopause? It's so uncomfortable.

• mariadelpilar
    mariadelpilar Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2020
    Options

hi quinine,

I take an Arimidex and other than hot flashes, I’m doing well. I take 10 mg of Lexipro also. Does increasing the dosage help with hot flashes?

Thanks!!

• laurencl
    laurencl Member Posts: 203
    edited August 2020
    Options

Have Faith,

I too have noticed a racing heart. I have been on Anastrozole for approximately 6 months. I have started to up my water intake and I don’t notice it as much. Sometimes I swore I could hear my heartbeat. I also remember these same issues on taxol last year. I’m going to discuss with my MO at a 6th month appt. next week

• quinnie
    edited August 2020
    Options

Mariadelpilar: I just started the increase dose and think it has helped a little. I know this can take a few weeks and will let you know. I was willing to try anything. I walked 5 miles today in the heat and didn't feel like i was going to die so maybe it is working.

• laughinggull
    laughinggull Member Posts: 512
    edited August 2020
    Options

Just wanted to report my experience with turmeric supplements. I took Trader Joe's turmeric supplement dutifully, one capsule once a day until I finished the bottle -two solid months. I noticed absolutely no difference in my joint pains and stiffness.

Scared

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited August 2020
    Options

LaughingGull, I make tea with turmeric, ginger, black pepper and sometimes I put some cinnamon and I can't say if it working or not since I haven't stopped since I was diagnosed last year. Even if it doesn't work well for joints, it has some anti-cancer properties. A Review of Curcumin and Its Derivatives as Anticancer Agents

• laughinggull
    laughinggull Member Posts: 512
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi Lilywashere, do you mind posting the recipe for that tea?

• lillyishere
    edited August 2020
    Options

LaughingGull, I can admit I am not good at following recipes and that's why I'm a lousy cook :). A yoga teacher told me a while ago about the tea she makes with different spices. Since last year I modified with turmeric powder. I bring plain water to the billing point and I turn off the heat. I add one teaspoon of turmeric powder, a pinch of ginger, a pinch of black tea, and if you want a pinch of cinnamon. I mix them all with a fork and it is ready to drink. You can put some milk if you want to make golden milk. Once you get used to this tea, you can add a bit more of turmeric to get a higher dose. I make a larger amount and I put it in the fridge and use some at the time. Also, I order organic turmeric powder from vitacost.com, way cheaper than supplements. Starwest Botanicals Organic Powder Turmeric Root -- 1 lb

Starwest Botanicals Organic Powder Turmeric Root -- 1 lb

• havefaithtoday
    havefaithtoday Member Posts: 88
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi LaughingGull,

My Naturopath Dr said the Turmeric is best absorbed with black pepper. I've been using the Youththeory one from Costco for a few years and it's been working well. But she recently recommended the one by Pure Encapsulations which she said is supposed to be more absorbable and better in the digestive tract. I bought it from her and it's expensive, but worth a try I figured.

• lanne2389
    edited August 2020
    Options

LaughingGull - you probably need to increase your dose. I'm using a brand that has 1425 mg of curcuminoids - the active ingredient. My experience has been that I’m more aware of its effects when I miss a dose - hope that makes sense?

Lanne

• simonerc
    simonerc Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2020
    Options

@Lanne2389

Hi! Would you mind sharing what brand you are taking?

Thanks!

• valentine214
    valentine214 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2020
    Options

If you have ER+ BC, be sure to ask your MO about taking it. It may mimic estrogen. I wanted to try it, but MO does not want me to:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5354546/

• quinnie
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hello Everyone: I am doing well on Letrozole except for the hot flashes which are driving me crazy. Last night I could hardly sleep. I went through this 10 years ago naturally and was able to cope knowing it was going to end soon. I am on Lexapro and my MO doubled the dose but that didn;t help. I know effexor can help but I do not want to mess with my antidepressant that I have been on for 15 years. Any words for wisdom? any natural remedies that worked for any of you? I am fortunate to not have any other SE's so it is hard to complain.

• lillyishere
    edited August 2020
    Options

Quinnie, I am told that alcohol, especially wine can create spikes of estrogen. Also, sweets increase the hot flushes. Can you make any connection that when you have something sweet you get more hot flashes? Let us know what you'll find out.

Valentine21, thank you for sharing. I tried to read some of the article but then I get lost when the terminology got to difficult for me :). I wonder if mimicking the estrogen and estrogen itself is the same thing in ER+.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited August 2020
    Options

Turmeric/curcumin, soy, supplements. It would sure be nice to have conclusive information. But it seems a lot is poorly understood. Years ago I was concerned about soy. It seems like all the DRs I saw thought that as food, it was fine, just no supplements.I think it is mostly body builders who take soy as supplements, and they probably take other stuff as well. None of my Drs have cautioned about turmeric or flax. But I did read recently that our bodies do not readily absorb turmeric/curcumin with or without black pepper. So maybe it is just the placebo effet...............

• quinnie
    edited August 2020
    Options

Lilywashere: thanks for responding. I have really been very good about alcohol and sweets. I also gave up all caffeine. Nights are especially difficult. Last night I was up until 4. Cold/hot/cold/hot. Just very annoying but could be much worse. I don;t have joint pain. But it is hard to exercise with these flashes. I'll see what happens in the next few months then talk with my MO. I think all AL's probably will cause hot flashes for me.

• cm2020
    cm2020 Member Posts: 530
    edited August 2020
    Options

quinnie...My hot flashes are much much worse at night too. It is a constant battle between sweating intensely and freezing. The minute I get covered up and not so cold I start sweating again and throw all the covers off. They do happen during the day but seem much more intense and often at night. A couple of times I had them while I was on the table getting radiation.....that was a whole new level of misery.

• quinnie
    edited August 2020
    Options

cm2020: Same here exactly. It is hard to complain when out other sisters out there are suffereing with much more but it is helpful to hear others are going through the same thing. This is not life threatening but life changing. it is embarassing when I am dripping sweat off my face when out in the store. I find wearing the mask and hot flashes are really hard. I was in the grocery store the other day flashing with the mask on and felt like I was having a panic attack. I could hardly breathe. I went in the bathroom and took my mask off to settle down. I am not a hypochrondriac. Possibly the opposite. I let things go way too long as with my first breast cancer. I found a lump in July and waited until October to go to the doctor so I am usually pretty cool when it comes to these issues. I guess I just have to deal with it. It may keep me from having a reoccurance.

• lillyishere
    edited August 2020
    Options

I shouldn't complain about hot flashes even though I have a pattern, days when I get hot flashes, I don't have joint pains and the opposite. I am glad I don't get them all at the same time :). Honestly, hot flashes I get are not that bad and I always keep a thermos with ice in my car and when I feel it coming, I get a piece of ice in my mouth and keep it as cooling device :)).

• cm2020
    edited August 2020
    Options

I know I have heard a lot about joint pain/aches with AIs. I am on Letrozole and don't have any joint pain. But what I have noticed over the last few days is an increasing feeling of being tired and my limbs just feel "heavy" and achy in my legs. Could this be side effects of the Letrozole? Is this how others feel on it? I have no energy either.

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hi All,

I started this thread and wanted to hop on to check on all of you. Just to update for our newbies Ive been taking name brand Armidex since May 2017. My SEs have been manageable. I’m taking 100mg of Gabapentin at night and also Glucosamine and Chondrotin for achy joints. I’m in my 60s so it’s really difficult to know what to attribute to the normal aging process. I’ve always exercised but with the gyms closed I’m walking and doing some stretchy and light weights. But, I must admit my exercise routine is nothing like it was but I am also less achy. Go figure. I’ve been taking Prolia injections since May 2017 every 6 mos. I’m finally seeing some bone density improvement. The best advice I can give you if you’re beginning an AI is try not to read about the possible SEs. Not everyone gets side effects and not all of them at once. If you feel terrible speak with your medical team. Try another AI if necessary. There’s a lot of great support here and don’t hesitate to ask for help or advice. Be well. Stay safe. Much liv

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,166
    edited September 2020
    Options

Butterfly1234 - I am barely working out in comparison to pre Covid. I was going 5 days a week full bore. I too have noticed I don't ache as much. I may have been working out too much! Still miss it. LOL

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    edited September 2020
    Options

CindyNY,

Yes, I can relate. I’m trying to walk when weather permits. Some floor stretchies with exercise band. That’s about it. I really am less sore. I may have been overdoing it as well. BTW I’m a former NYer born and bred. Be safe and well all Heart

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hanging in there on anastrozole. Very few SEs anymore. About 1.5 yrs to go! Exercising way more since retirement and then COVID. Would honestly say I am healthier now than before BC. 66 years old on 8th September and feeling good!

• cm2020
    edited September 2020
    Options

CeliaC... Happy Birthday!!

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,166
    edited September 2020
    Options

CeliaC - early Happy Birthday!

• lillyishere
    edited September 2020
    Options

• lanne2389
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hi Simone - I'm taking these turmeric supplements:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XG36MBB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_imm_awdb_B-ZvFb76KZK7M

(Sorry - can't get the entire address to link - so copy/paste the whole thing)

Lanne