Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in July 2017

Options

Comments

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    Options

JenRuns...awesome that you are walking. I have heard it is quite hard to run with the expanders. I walked quite a bit during my lumpectomy recovery too. For now I am hopeful I can still run some. It makes me feel like I can be a little normal still. My counselor and physical therapist have both told me they have worked with other women who have continued to run some during chemo. They both told me to be willing to listen to body, have a slower pace, realize some days a run be just 1 mile instead of 5, and walk more. When people tell me i can't do something it makes me more determined to prove them wrong. I saw the internal eye roll and "the oh honey you are so naive" thought of my sister in law last week when I mentioned I hoped to run/walk/bike/exercise during my treatment on my good days. Her 70 yr old mom went thru treatment, 8 yrs ago so of course now she is an expert too. So I can't wait to tell her I am running and walking. Ugh!

• Mari-
    Mari- Member Posts: 57
    Options

oh ladies! And Teese! Thank you for being in my support group. For info, for laughs, for ideas, venting or simply support. It has helped my journey. I am half way! 2 more TC tx, I still Don't know how to add my tx on the bottom!

Jenruns and Runnermom- everybody that knows me, knows I don't do walking or running. My workout were limited tô when i paid a trainer! That made me go! I cancelled that for the duration of the tx. Now I did go walking around the house especifically day 3-4-5! And as much as I hate to admit, it made me feel better. Each day I made ~ 2 miles. It's so not me. So I am sure you will be able to run on your good days it's about learning about good and bad days.

I am recircling back to my work schedule to work day 2 then day 7! This round I took off day 7! Was planning to work day 5, no way had to cancel that!

Paulette congrats! One more round! I am jealous!!

The taste issue, day 4 for me, but if this was the only SE I would be fine. We can deal with it! Biotene! It's especifically design for dry mouth and they have improved their formulation! I would try that before baking soda!

PCC they work! Keep doing it. I bought Artic caps! My success is very limited, I am Very disappointed. It thinned all over and a bold spot on top of my hair. But on the good side, I have not worn my wig. I use Toppik, got it Target. It's excellent. If aftervthe second I she'd like I did after the first, I will need the wig. So I am still Hopping

Trying to plan for tx 3,4. Are they going to be much different ? I think someone said it would worse? Even if same TC?

Thank you all

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    Options

JenRuns and LoJo100 - thank you I will go and pick up a few on Monday. I usually try to stay away all the weekend crowds.

• PauletteK
    Options

runnermun- I only have my first treatment it went well I felt bad on my first day , second day I have 60% my energy back but I chose not to get to the crowd but I can do my walk. Today is my third days I actually might want to go to my favor restaurant Phofor lunch.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    Options

well officially the hair is surely falling out. Took a shower this morning and lots came out in my hand

Had a hair cut a few days ago, may do another one

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    Options

Hello all, tomorrow is infusion #2, and since the first one did not go as planned, I honestly don't know what to expect. So that being said I pushed my self today on the treadmill. Would normally be pushing fluids, especially water, but was told to limit to 64oz. That's hard for me as I'm a big water drinker, but ya do what ya gotta do. I've learned to like coconut water, and it's better for you than Gatorade.

My scalp is irritable today, wonder if it's heralding the hair loss. I'm thinking maybe so.

Very curious what my post infusion week will be like. I spent day 2 and 3 completely zonked on IV nausea meds last time. Really hoping all that nausea was due to electrolyte imbalance. Either way I'll be asking for different meds for the immediate post infusion nausea.

Spending the day with my daughter, lunch and a movie. Then to bed early and hoping for a better day tomorrow. Wish me luck, or if inclined say a prayer as I won't lie, I'm a bit worried.

Hugs

Theresa

• theantz
    theantz Member Posts: 24
    Options

An update is due !

48 hours since first dose of paclitaxel and cyclophosphamide, and fortunately no side effects for now. Been eating and drinking as much as I can, toungue was a bit funny early morning ( maybe sore), but as the day progressed it went fine.

Anyone who has been on the same treatment, what should I expect in coming couple of days ?

• PauletteK
    Options

Tess- good luck to your second treatment things should get better be positive. From the material from my chemo blinder I only need to drink 100 oz water the first 3 days then I can go back to normal water day. I might continue to 5 days until I stop my meds on the fifth day.

Theantz - I don't have taxol yet I will be on after my AC so I can't tell you much. Sorry

As far as my second day it went fine I stayed in my house did couple walks. I got my white blood cell shot last night at my tummy today I planned to go out lunch and I am hoping I have appetite. Took my steroids at 8:30 am.

• sunnyjay
    sunnyjay Member Posts: 143
    Options

Teese: after learning what you went through with cycle 1, I was drinking Smartwater the night before since it has the electrolytes, and brought a mug of organic Green Tea Ginger made by Traditional Medicinals with me. When I got home I had a 1/2 sandwich and some V8 to get some nutrients and salt in my body. Btw, I am a fan of coconut water! My potassium levels sometimes go below normal so I boost it up with coconut. I always remember when my grandfather would buy fresh coconuts and save us the "juice" to drink with bits of coconut flesh. Yum!

Theantz: Good to hear everyrhing went well! We're in slightly different regimens but I am day 4 and have been eating well, but get bloated and constipated. I've also been dealing with massive bone aches in my legs mostly, but hasn't debilitated me yet so I just keep on moving while I can. Do you have to get Neulasta also? I think Claritin is helping.

For constipation I've taken Senokote once a day, and drinking tea and water throughout the day. I have had little success with bowel movements but not at my normal so has me a little worried. When DH left for work around 5 am I warmed up some vegetable broth and sipped it like tea, and then had a cup of yogurt for the probiotics then went back to bed.

I have been sitting around for the last couple of hours, not really feeling fatigued or anything, but just waiting for nature to take its course. So maybe I'll get up soon. Hopefully that will move things along.

I am so motivated by everyone here, esecially by you runners. I was supposed to attempt a 5k run in June but with surgery I had to give that up. I am not a runner at all, but did a couple of 5K's a few years ago and wanted this year to be the year that I get out there again. Haha Obviously God had other plans for me so here I am running my own marathon.

• LoJo100
    LoJo100 Member Posts: 92
    Options

Runnermum - Not sure which chemotherapy you are on, but I'm on TC, and I was able to get a walk in every day (even on my most fatigued day) during my first cycle. Week one I was averaging 1.5-2.5 miles, by week 2 I was at 2-3 miles and by week 3 I was able to do two strenuous hikes (one was 4 miles with 1000' elevation gain, the other was 3.8 miles with 800' elevation gain). I just had round #2 on Friday, so am starting over again, but I walked a little over a mile yesterday and just got back from a 1.5 mile walk. I hope to get an evening walk in, will depend on fatigue. Last infusion today (day 3) and day 4 were my worst fatigue days. I hope this gives you some inspiration. I find that exercise helps me a lot, and even though I'm not hiking like I was prior to surgery and chemo, it is nice to be back to some exercise and a couple nice hikes during my good week. Also, I'm 8 weeks and 3 days post BMX (no recon).

Mari - I will keep with the PCC. Still shedding at day 24, but it still appears to be mostly nape of neck and behind ears. If you showed me the total pile of hair that has come off my head, I'd swear I'd have none left on my head! At this point, I'm not stressing about it and am hoping for the best. Thank you for the words of encouragement!

PauletteK - Good to hear your energy levels are up. I hope the added water choices help with hydration!

Teese - Will be sending good thoughts your way and will be hoping this round is much less eventful. Sounds like you have a good plan. Have a great day with your daughter and at the movies. Tomorrow will go well!

Off to have some food and more water! :-)

• PauletteK
    Options

Sunnyjay - thank you for the info on water it is very helpful.

Still can use some more information on nail strength polish and good constipation. I have little bowl movement but not very happy. Would like to have something to help. I read Sunnyjay is using Senokot I took my stool softer hope it helps

• Janeway10
    Janeway10 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hey Chemo Buddies,

I am posting updates on Facebook. It was the easiest way for me to keep everyone posted. I decided to be very public about my journey. It was a huge help to me to read other people's stories. I just found out another science teacher at school was just diagnosed with IDC, same as me. What are the odds? But I'm glad I can help her through the process. We have a great hospital with a cancer wellness center and we plan to attend some yoga classes, cooking classes, and support groups.

• LoJo100
    Options

Hi PauletteK -

For nails, I'm using OPI Nail Envy. It is pricey, but has been great so far! I put a coat on, then each day, I put another coat on top of the existing coat. Once a week, I take it all off, file my nails and start over.

For constipation I used the tea, "Smooth Move," after my BMX, and it worked well. You don't need to drink a lot. So far my chemo SE in this department has been mild, so eating a few prunes and an apple each day does the trick (*knock on wood that this continues to be the case!*).

-LoJo

• PauletteK
    Options

Jenway10 - how do I find you in Facebook?

LoJo100 - thanks for the advice I have used OPI before good product, also I drink smooth move that's my last secret trick.

• sunnyjay
    Options

Paulettek: My bowel movements were better today but I can't tell you one thing that helped since I tried different things. But I'll probably stick to Senokote for now. I felt some nausea today, and the Compazine has helped for that.

I plan to also get the Nail Envy by OPI. I got a manicure a few days before chemo and my nails are pretty strong. But I'll probably start to use the Nail Envy next week.

I got my hair cut a little shorter today (just a little trim) to anticipate the upcoming hair loss. I didn't want to do too much until after my sister's wedding which is right before my 2nd infusion. So hopefully I can retain most of my hair until then.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here by ine of our runners, or in another thread but someine recommended nuun tablets to add to water for flavor and electrolytes. I happened to find some when I was out shopping today. I got the strawberry lemonade flavor and I love it! So fizzy! 😝

• PauletteK
    Options

I love this support group everyone are helping each other. 😍

Sunnyjay- will add nuun on my shopping list.

Hope everyone feeling better tomorrow.

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    Options

sunnyjay...Yay!! I recommended the Nuun!! So glad you found it and liked it! I love the strawberry lemonade too!! So much better then Gatorade. Flavors are so light and not sweet! I ordered more from Amazon and received it today too! Ordered a new flavor...ginger lemonade!

I also received The Cancer Fighting Kitchen Cookbook in my Amazon order today. I made the mineral broth over the weekend. I have a similar cookbook Run Fast, East Slow, which I love. Lots of good recipes and I made a couple for later this week.

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    Options

Hello,

Back from my camping trip, checking in. Love seeing all the tips and updates from everyone. I am starting on Tuesday, like you, Runnermom. Reading this thread reminded me to apply another coat of NailEnvy!

It was fun to get all dirty and germy camping, but I am back into sterile mode.....my 16 year old boy got so smelly, he couldn't even stand himself. A first!

• LoJo100
    Options

Runnermum - I just got The Cancer Fighting Kitchen a couple weeks go and it is fantastic! In fact, my Mom is visiting and made a meal for us tonight that was amazing, even though my tastebuds are all over the place from my latest treatment.

Good luck to you and all who are starting treatment this week. Sending lots of good thoughts!

• Matryoshka
    Matryoshka Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hello ladies, today is kind of a down day. I've been losing a lot of hair over the past week, and it really came off HARD today after showering and combing. I knew this was coming, just not so soon, and definitely did not anticipate enough that feeling of seeing bunches of hair falling. Was thinking the major hair loss will only happen with AC, and not Taxol. But I am taking it positively, considering that I have been handling the three sessions of chemo quite well.

I have been preparing to shave off everything, but again did not anticipate how difficult monitoring the hair loss and deciding when to actually do it will be. It will probably be this week. Kinda tiring sweeping up after myself. All the hair!

ok, sad things aside. I am faring much better this week than last week. Except that the weight gain is starting! And I been having a little salty, buttery taste in my mouth since yesterday. But nothing horrible. Comfort level is still good!

Teese - yup, I am doing Taxol first. A little worried about having an easier time now, and having a tougher time with AC later. But trying not to overthink on what I cannot control. Don't think I am given any neulasta, but I am having my first follow-up with my Onco after starting chemo tomorrow. We will know how I am faring! But overall, feeling good!

Sunnyjay - My nurses too told me to report anything unusual. I actually tried to close my eyes and FEEL my entire being just to see if anything is out of norm. And they seemed quite disbelieving when I told them I had no mouth sores and that I only had a wee bit of constipation.

Sorry if I did not reply to any questions or comments! Please have a good week ahead, and smooth sailing therapies!

• sunnyjay
    Options

I just reviewed my chemo binder and had an AHA moment ( or maybe a Duh! moment)... I was prescribed Zofran to take when I am on the steroid Decadron. Since I only take that on Day 2 & 3, I don't need to take it today (day 4). So I'm just realizing the Zofran was most likely causing my constipation. Well, I didn't take Zofran today and yup! had a normal bowel movement. Go figure! Hahaha. Instead of Zofran I took the Compazine for nausea, which I did twice today.

Does anyone have any remedies for bone pain? Clariitin is a once-a-day pill so I don't want to take more. But what else is there? I'm also taking ES Tylenol. I was advised not to take NSAIDS like Advil.

• ml1209
    ml1209 Member Posts: 153
    Options

sunnyjay - yes, Zofran will cause constipation. It can be pretty severe. My MO suggested Senna S. Became one of my best friends during chemo. For bone pain - epsom salts bath and a heating pad helped me a great deal. Also, the more I moved the better I felt. Thankfully the bone pain only lasted a few days after each cycle.

Prayers and hugs all around!

• PauletteK
    Options

Sunnyjay- I checked my blinded asked me to take zofran for five days so I have to deal with this constipation for awhile. I forgot to drink smooth move last night 🙄 So I hope the prune and stool softer will do the trick for me.

Matryoshka- I hard taxol will make you lose hair also I know that is hard for us I didn't get my cold cap I am going to be baldness with you all.

• dmjmom
    dmjmom Member Posts: 54
    Options

Prayers for you today Theresa! I hope you get through this round with much less difficulty.

My first round is tomorrow, I think Leatherette and Runnermum are also starting tomorrow. Will be thinking of you two!

I got to play with two of my grandsons yesterday, such a fun day. Now my heart is full and I'm ready to get going on this treatment!!

I hope everyone dealing with SEs have a good day.

Debby

• proudtospin
    Options

i am on taxol and yesterday, hair started to fall out big time. Not so much today but did not shower this morn

Had hair cut short last week so may need to go back to get the rest buzzed, warned my hairdresser to expect me back

• PauletteK
    Options

Good luck to the ladies who is going to have chemo tomorrow. It was better than I expected.

Today is my 4th day - don't have much appetite and waiting for the steroid pill to kick in so I can eat more. Today is my last steroid pill, I wonder how bad would be my appetite without this magic steroid pill. 😕

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

proudtospin- I found I lost most of my hair in the shower. Always got in the shower wondering what I would look like once I stepped back out.

Something I learned and will share - once bald, I sure found air conditioning to make me COLD so indoors when home this summer I wear a cotton cap to keep warm.

• proudtospin
    Options

dodgersgirl, that sounds like something to expect

Question, did you exercise while doing chemo? I feel guilty for skipping the gym, used to go 3 times a week

• PauletteK
    Options

Proudtospin - I didn't go to the gym I just do my daily walks twice. I barley have enough energy to do my walks and I'm only have one round of chemo.

• proudtospin
    Options

well then not feeling so guilty

I have nueropathy in my feet, have had it for years and chemo not helping it so a break is gonna happen