Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Delayed allergic reaction to Taxotere

Options
2»

Comments

• gussy
    gussy Member Posts: 77
    Options

I have been having moderately severe shortness of breath for 10-14 days. I went to the MO today and my heartrate was about 130. She's thinking atrial fibrillation. This afternoon I will go to my primary and have an EKG. I've had 2 taxol treatments and had Hand and Foot Syndrome after the first with neuropathy. After the second this SOB and high HR. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences. I have no personal prior history of heart problems and am convinced that this is due to the taxol. I will definitely mention the chemo-induced pneumonitis to the doc today. I have not had any significant itching or rashes.

• mcichoracki
    mcichoracki Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hello Gussy, 

My shortness of breath is when I exhale, this was most severe after the allergic reaction.  I just had my 6 month follow up with my pulmonologist and was cleared by him as my oxygen level is back up to 95% and continues to get better.  Probably another type of reaction from the drug.  I hope you feel better soon!

• guardians6
    guardians6 Member Posts: 1
    Options

2 days after my first treatment of Taxotere I got hives on my hand, torso, upper palate was bad & peri area was placed on steroids for 5 days with histamine blocker, benadryl & singulair. will try Taxol next

• Walden1
    Walden1 Member Posts: 110
    Options

I had a delayed reactions to my second and third paxlitaxol treatment . I also had a moderately reactions during infusion on my first treatment. The delayed reaction included shortness of breath, light headed, dizzy, vision blurred, weakness. I almost went to the ER, but luckily Benadryl reduced the symptoms my oncologist decided it wasn’t safe to continue because all the extra steroids and Benadryl they normal use did not stop the reaction. Delayed reactions are possible. Hope you are feeling better now

• marieibrahim
    marieibrahim Member Posts: 52
    Options

Dear mighty ..glad things worked out for you ,..would you please explain how did you use cortico steroids ..I am on taxol and having a hard time with photosensitivity ..thanks and bless you

• marieibrahim
    marieibrahim Member Posts: 52
    Options

Dear mighty ..glad things worked out for you ,..would you please explain how did you use cortico steroids ..I am on taxol and having a hard time with photosensitivity ..thanks and bless you

• mcichoracki
    mcichoracki Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hello Marie,

I was taking steroids orally.

• Octoberwind
    Octoberwind Member Posts: 2
    Options

I had a reaction with my first dose of Docetaxel. It occurred within minutes of the drug being started. I wasn’t nervous because the team jumped into action with everyone having a job to do to ensure I was safe.

My second was fine. I went into my third dose last Fri and by Thurs was starting to feel a bit more like myself. However, I woke early Friday morning to intense itching and hives over most of my trunk and upper thigh. No respiratory symptoms. Called team and started on Benadryl every 4 hours. By Sat morning, I was dizzy and the hives had gotten bigger and itchier. Called the team and was started on Decadron (the steroid I use for premed and postmed) and changed to a different antihistamine (hydroxyzine). That helped my back and much of trunk but on Sun I had new hives on my arms, legs, neck and scalp. Called the team again. Went into ED, where I received and extra IV dose of another steroid, IV famotidine, and more hydroxyzine. I am lucky that except for the dizziness, my worse symptom was itching

This thread helped realize that my hives were most likely med-related. I thought that being a week out, I was safe. I was cudgeling my brain trying to remember anything new that I had eaten or used in the previous day.

I only have one dose of docetaxel left and now I am nervous about the plans. I know we’ll discuss it. I feel that team has been responsive to my needs.What have others done?

• macord76
    macord76 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello,

I wanted to comment as many years later from this original post, your question and comments have helped me. Recently, I had similar situation were 10 days after my 3rd of 4 treatments with taxotere and cytoxan and developed hives. At first there were a few hives on my neck and arm. Over the next 2 days they were more severe on my arms thighs stomach. Doc prescribed prednisone and I was taking Benadryl every 4 hours. It took a full seven days of this to stop them. I told doc I wasn’t comfortable completing 4th treatment of chemo in concern of a worse reaction. She agreed so we didn’t do it. Im not sure what caused it was the chemo, the neulasta or a low immune system. Next is radiation then HRT. Thanks for sharing information on this!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,986
    Options

@macord76, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're glad you joined us, and glad you found our forums helpful! If you want, you can also start your own new discussion, and introduce yourself and your story in some of the different categories we have. Let us know if you need some guidance for that, we're here to help!

Also, you may find some helpful information on breast cancer treatments that may cause a rash and skin reactions here:

We hope this helps! Looking forward to hearing more from you soon.

The Mods

• ali_mac
    ali_mac Member Posts: 1
    Options

I found this post very helpful this week. I had a rash break out on my neck 7 days after my 3rd taxotere treatment that within hours turned into an allergic reaction with hives, welts, and angioedema on my face that caused me to have trouble breathing. I was in the ER for almost a full day where they administered a steroid/benadryl/famotidine mix. It calmed the hives down but I ended back up at the ER again a second night with the hives welling back up again. When I communicated this to my oncologist, they didn't think it was from the taxotere and pushed me to my PCP. My PCP kept me on steroids until I could see an allergist. The allergist ruled out the allergic reaction to being anything environmental or food related and confirmed it was likely a delayed reaction to taxotere. I also had a high absolute eosiniphil count just before my third treatment.

In the prior treatments leading up to the allergic reaction, I experienced heartburn, burning eyes, and a mild skin reaction on my face that my oncologist did not see as issues. I mention these as I believe they were early symptoms that I may have an allergy to taxotere.

I'm planning to try and meet with my oncologist for next steps but have concerns about the 4th treatment of taxotere. I'm now on Zyrtec and steroids until I can clear the allergic reaction which may delay treatment anyway.