Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Extra pics on left side, so worried

Oneoutofsix
Oneoutofsix Member Posts: 7
edited January 2021 in Waiting for Test Results

Hello, I had my yearly mammon and ultrasound today. But this year, I had to get extra pic on my left side both for the mammo on ultrasound. For the mammo the tech said there was a skin fold. For the ultrasound the tech (different one) said she needed pictures to compare possible changes in my left breast from last year. I hate this feeling now of anxiety- I have had pain in my left side but was sure it was cyclical, but now I wonder if it is because I have cancer! I just needed to get this off my chest. I can't stop thinking about it. I have young kids and I want to be here for them. I won't get results for a few more days. They said by Tuesday. It will be a long few days.

Comments

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited July 2017

Hang in there! Waiting is soooo difficult. I take it that you are younger because you have young kids. Often younger women have changes in their breasts due to their cycle, new or changing cysts (not a big deal), or bumping their breasts. (My kids always seemed to bump my breasts.) The skin fold makes sense. After all that mammogram squishing, it would be easy for a small folding or wrinkle to appear on the image. The changes I've recently had on my ultrasound have been due to cyst formation.

I'll be thinking about you and praying for benign results!

• Oneoutofsix
    edited July 2017

Thank you for responding! I keep going back and forth between thinking I'm probably ok and the opposite. When I'm in my super anxious moments I keep thinking about the different pains I've been having and maybe it means it's spread everywhere already. I hate waiting for results!

• mommakat
    mommakat Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2017

I do the same thing Oneoutof...as I'm waiting for the follow up with the surgeon, I think my headaches are cancer, I'm sure I feel it in my bones, and if I'm out of breath I'm convinced it's in my lungs. I think we're driving ourselves crazy. I'm sorry you're going through this, and the waiting is agonizing.

Sending you lots of positive thoughts and energy xoxo

• MTwoman
    MTwoman Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2017

oneoutofsix, I am so sorry you find yourself here with breast health concerns. It is pretty common for extra images to be taken (when skin folds or there are changes - which can absolutely come from breast feeding). In the meantime, if you find your anxiety hard to manage, please feel free to go to my thread here:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/83/topics/855477?page=3#idx_66

there are multiple tips to help manage while you wait. Good luck for b9 results!

• Oneoutofsix
    edited July 2017

I just got an email of the results. The mammogram was clear, but the ultrasound was not. The letter says that additional imaging is needed. The dr office is closed so I can't get any more information until tomorrow. I called the breast center that did my mammogram and ultrasound and they said they don't know what additional imaging I need, that I need to talk to the dr. But she did say that it was specifically in the left breast, in the 3, 4, o'clock region, which is where the original ultrasound tech took extra pictures, and near where I have been having pain.

I am so terrified now and so angry at myself that I didn't check my email earlier because now I have to wait until tomorrow to talk to a dr in order to schedule more testing. I feel so sure now that there is something wrong.

• MTwoman
    edited July 2017

Okay Oneoutofsix, take a deep breath. There may "be something wrong", but that something does not necessarily mean breast cancer.

Image result for breast cancer diagnostic process

Notice that you're still in the very early steps of this diagnostic process diagram. The VAST majority of women who are bumped up to get diagnostic workups are then discharged with either routine or 6 month follow up. The rest (25% of that group) are biopsied. That represents anyone with over a 1-2% chance of having bc. Even if they say that they want to biopsy what they've seen on the us (instead of getting a tie-breaking mri, which is quite common) you still have an 80% chance of having a b9 result. I do know the waiting is hard, but don't jump to conclusions based on one us that saw something.

• Oneoutofsix
    edited July 2017

intellectually, I can see what you are saying. But emotionally, my mind is racing with horrible worst case scenarios

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited July 2017

Hang in there! It's not easy. It is normal for our mind to go worst case scenario, too. Hope you get answers soon!

• Oneoutofsix
    edited July 2017

Thanks. I talked to the nurse at the dr office who told me the ultrasound found lesions, which she assured me is scarier than it sounds, and that the ultrasound couldn't get a clear picture of the lesions so I need an MRI.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited July 2017

Oneoutofsix, I'll just repeat what others have said, deep breaths, deep breaths. It is what it is, in your case probably benign, but panicking will do nothing but make you crazy. I know cause, I've been there, done that. {{{Hugs}}}

• Oneoutofsix
    edited July 2017

ok. I'm reposting this in the thread I originally started as suggested. My official report said there were hypoechoic lesions with a request for additional imaging. Boards 0. Does anyone know much about these? Google says most are malignant.

• MTwoman
    edited July 2017

Oneoutofsix, hypoechoic is a concerning characteristic, but that does NOT mean that those lesions are necessarily bc. What else does the report say? BIRADS 0 just means more imaging is needed.

• Oneoutofsix
    edited July 2017

My MRI got scheduled for tomorrow. I am so scared. At my worst moments, I have convinced myself that I have cancer and that it has spread everywhere. Other times I am able to stay calm and tell myself to wait and see what the MRI says. I keep reading stories of young women who are just suddenly diagnosed with cancer that has already spread and it is terrifying. I needed to get this off my chest.

• Coacheswife007
    Coacheswife007 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021

any update oneoutofsix? I am going through the same thing

• Kbacka1
    Kbacka1 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021

Any updates? Also waiting on mri results

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited January 2021

Oneoutofsix never returned to provide her MRI results. That was 3 1/2 years ago. I'd guess therefore that she was fine and not diagnosed with breast cancer.

It's unfortunate that many people don't come back to share the good news with those of us who have taken the time to offer information and support. Mostly this happens with those who are absolutely convinced that they have breast cancer, despite reassurances that the odds are in their favor that the findings will be benign. I suspect some are embarrassed, which is silly, because it's always great to hear good news. And their good news would provide reassurance to others who follow. It's shame, and to be honest, inconsiderate, when people drop off without closing the loop.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,814
    edited January 2021

Coacheswife007, share a bit about what's coning on. Indeed, Beesie is correct that we often don't hear back, unfortunately. Keep us posted!