Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CO2 laser mastectomY

Options
13»

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited November 2017
    Options

Snow, Your statement " As for why laser isn't in use for breast cancer surgeries - Dr Sylvia Formenti, head of radiation oncology at Cornell in NYC, has been trying for a decade to have radiation treatments given to women in a prone position. She has written research papers showing it lessens damage to heart and lungs. Free and easy to learn but not still not standard practice."

Changes in practice of any aspect of medicine/surgery is first driven by science. A break from the status quo of accepted practice which is science based is driven by one person having an idea, and willing to do the research and publication of the idea. That approach may not be accepted by the "community" b/c it is different than what they learned.

Not all docs are idea people. Medical schools teach them to ridgely(sic) adhere to accepted medical/surgical standards. To practice outside of accepted medical/ surgical standards is heresy.

I went to the computer to check spelling of heresy and decided to throw in key words "scientific heresy". Great link.

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/102468/14944004/1320269922797/ScientificHeresy.pdf?token=DLFQpucD0a%2BSeBiBsEgNKrctK88%3D

Back to my espousing. Change within the medical/surgical community is really accomplished by the consumer. A better less costly way. I could do a fancy dancy dissertation on that, but the readers here get that without doing that.

I recognized right away within a short few hours from reading your topic box till I wrote the head slap statement (first page) that the medical/surgical field that we depend on had failed us. Might have been less, but you know there was a very short transition. Dr. Ansanelli and Dr. Formenti are two idea people. They tried to change the system. The system didn't/ doesn't want to change.

I've stated several times my goal is to force the change in the system by gathering information, developing a plan that makes the consumer aware there is a different way. The consumer will then pester the medical/surgical community "We demand change for a safer and better way, or we will take our dollars to those that will do it for less". Back to my simpler statement "A better less costly way".

All of progress in medicine/surgery were by idea people, the system finally accepted what they were doing. Hmmmm. that's good enough for now. The idea people are remembered b/c of the changes they brought about i.e Hippocrates et all.

We can force the change.

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Ya know Snow, I just might stay here versus making a new thread. Because I like your questions. Hahaha I get to do espousing.

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

So, now there are three projects:

1. C02 Laser assisted mastectomy,

2. Laser assisted wound care

3. Breast Radiation therapy in the prone position.

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Snow, just by bringing Dr. Fomenti's studies forward to this community, it will have an amazing result. People will be pestering their doc's with the studies This then becomes the RO doc's legal problem and conundrum(puzzle) if they refuse to honor the request.

IF the patient presents the studies AND the RO doesn't follow the patient request AND the patient ends up with lung and heart problems

AND the patient documents well that they asked for the prone position and provided Fomenti's studies in support of their request.

EVEN if the wider RO community didn't accept the approach, the RO is going to have a tough day in court if there is a lung and heart problems post radiation therapy.

NOW we still have to do a study of the literature to see if there is evidence to support the supine positon as being superior to the prone position, but this is a start.

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Snow, your task now is to list all of Fomenti's studies in a singular post. They all have the government listings.

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Snowday, Whoa Nelly, I blew into your room like a tornado full of wind, started postulating and espousing, annnnnnnddddd giving you a task. Not right. Your room.

I did create another thread on the science forum. The work on getting the medical/ surgical community to get the R & D for mastectomy will take months to years. Even if I found the right ear tomorrow. It would be a few years. It's encouraging that it's already being done in dogs b/c dogs and pigs would be where the animal research would start prior to being researched on humans.

Since it's being applied to dogs the veterinary R & D has been done by someone. I'll just have to track them down. Hopefully, the vet school would be in a university setting that also has a medical school. That might be a shot that could move things along faster.

It's going to be exciting, but time consuming. I've done this before and it's lot's of studying and networking.

Thanks Snowday, I enjoyed being here and finding out about your story. Here's the link. Come visit when you can I would love to have you involved. Your a great researcher.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/73/topics/860203?post_creation=true

• Italychick
    Italychick Member Posts: 527
    edited November 2017
    Options

Dr. Sean Aiken has kept our dog alive for five years using laser surgery for dermal hemangiosarcomas. They pop up, he lasers them off. Just posting in case he knows of research. Maybe you can contact him or his office for research. He has been very insistent on the use of a co2 laser for our dog.

Our dog is now 15 and 1/2 years old, and I think he would already be dead if not for Dr. Aiken.

https://www.vshsd.com/about/veterinarians/surgery/465-dr-sean-aiken

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks Italychick :)

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

I'm such a nerd. I woke up thinking about the Harmonic scalpel study of a few days ago. This was 4am. It's bothered me that the study had such positive results from a paper who's writers were from China(2015). and less positive results of two papers whose authors were based in Australia & Italy (both 2016). This was a puzzle.

The 4 am thought "Where are the harmonic scalpels manufactured?" Ducked (like google) " Who manufactures harmonic scalpels?". This brought up Alibaba. I looked at the first 3 pages. All the manufacturers were from China. Approximately twenty two listed that either produced the base unit or supplies for the base unit. After that other manufactures were listed, but I stopped at that point.

https://www.alibaba.com/harmonic-scalpel-suppliers_1.html?spm=a2700.9099375.16.5.56242203ldzAkP

As some recreational reading after that, I came across a study and an article on "Spin" in research papers. It's not encouraging. 8 of 10 papers published can be shown to have some spin on the results. The study listed multiple reasons for this. One being that studies were paid for by the producer of the product or drug. They are suppose to declare this, but the article about the study found that this is not always done.

I'm inclined to say that there was bias in the China study as they have the largest manufactures of harmonic scalpels in the world. It would take a great deal of detective work to uncover if this were true. But it looks awfully suspicious.

I put the "spin" study on the evidence based research thread

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/73/topics/834695?page=1#post_5090782

• MTwoman
    MTwoman Member Posts: 228
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks for your honesty and diligence, sassy, that is one of my concerns when I hear about groundbreaking technology that "nobody" is using. There are many possibilities, but that unfortunately could be one. Hoping that researchers continue to advance our knowledge and ability to effectively utilize this device.

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

MTwoman THanks. Do you mind if I transfer your post on the list of studies. I'm going to c&P the harmonic studies to the new thread I would appreciate your monitoring and input on the new thread after the initial work up. I got quite a bit done this morning. :)

• MTwoman
    MTwoman Member Posts: 228
    edited November 2017
    Options

Not at all. Just trying to add to your list of citations :)

• snowday123
    snowday123 Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2017
    Options

sorry for the radio silence - I so appreciate you taking this stuff on. I haven't mentioned I'm doing chemo and I have five kids, three grandkids and two dogs...so life gets crazy around here. Plus, needy divorced parents and an ancient but still vibrant grandma who expects weekly visits. Thank gd I took a leave from work this year to deal with treatment and my husband enjoys cleaning thekitchen.

I'll click on your link to check out the new thread. Again, thank you!

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2017
    Options

Snowday you are a buzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy lady. But very nice way to be buzy with all the family, not the negative stuff, the nice stuff

• vcorb
    vcorb Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hello Snowy,

I have some questions I would like to ask you. Would you be willing to contact me please byemail vcorbin11@hotmail.com I am considering using Dr Ansanelli.

Thanks,

vcorb

• Holding2hope
    Holding2hope Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi, is there any one with stage 4 breast cancer who had a successful case with Dr Ansanelli? my mom has been recently diagnosed and i am hoping this would help her... the docs have advised that usual surgery is not possible anymore and only providing medication to control her situation. Scared

• snowday123
    snowday123 Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2018
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear that your mom is in that situation. Stage 4 usually means it's beyond the breast and dr ansanelli only does breast surgery as far as I know. But, call him. I think he'll be very frank with you. Good luck to you and your mom - some people do well for many years at stage 4. Sending you a prayer and many blessings

• Sara536
    Sara536 Member Posts: 5,937
    edited July 2018
    Options

I would get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. What does this surgeon mean by the “usual" surgery? Of course surgery can't undo the fact of metastasis but certainly surgery to remove the tumor is possible. Maybe this surgeon means that fancy reconstruction that makes one look as good as new is not possible in this case and that is all he/she is interested in doing. Please connect with a nurse navigator or find a compasionate doctor who will take the time to explain various alternatives that would be available to your mom. You didn't go into detail about the extent of her stage 4. I don't think that stage 4 precludes any surgical attempt at a cosmetically acceptable result. I'm hoping that you are able to find the best possible outcome for her. :)

• Holding2hope
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thank you dear. i have gotten in touch with him and will be having a call with him. hopefully he can provide some positivity out of the report i have shared with him. Funnily enough, i do not understand why the currentl doc would classify her as stage 4 when there was no PET scan done. however, she has ILC and the lumps are on her chest wall now.. so maybe thats why.... i just hope we still have some time to fight this...

• Holding2hope
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thank you Sara. indeed, i wasnt with my mom when she went to see the doc. I do agree that the doc did not offer the best probable treatment for her as we were back in our country visiting. he prob assumed that we will go back to the country are currently residing in for more diagnosis and treatment. but the way he put it across was horrible i feel.. and of cos, it shattered my sis and myself :(

my mom is ILC ER/PR positive and HER neg. she is currently on hormone therapy using femera. she has several lumps on both her breast :( and she chose to hide it from us for the past yr or so until we found out by chance. She had cancer about 20 yrs ago so i guess this may be a relapse..

• susancolby
    susancolby Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2019
    Options

Greetings,

I've been following all the posts from 2017, 2108 about Dr. Ansanelli. I'm moving in his direction. Have read as much about him as I can find. It has been powerful to read about the advantages and positive experiences women have had.

Just wonder if anyone has had any recent experience and if anyone has had reconstruction by a plastic surgeon after his CO2 laser surgery. I'm drawn to innovative medicine yet have wondering as others have had about this only being done by Dr. Ansanelli, As a health professional, understand how slow change in medicine can be.

• jj404
    jj404 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi Susan - I'm in the same boat ... strongly leaning toward Dr. Ansanelli but lacking any info from recent patients. I've found only one negative review (Yelp) and other than that just see concerns about his "post-retirement" age. I'd love to hear from recent patients.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited July 2019
    Options

Welcome, jj404! We're glad you've joined our community - as you can see, you're in good company, with members who understand this unique journey!

It might help to check out some of the Google reviews on Dr. Ansanelli. It looks like there might be a couple more recent reviews from patients. And we always suggest reaching out to doctor's offices and scheduling a time to sit down and speak with them. Being able to ask questions and talk about recent patient outcomes in so important!

The Mods