Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tamoxifen and Hair loss?

Options
124»

Comments

• lisey
    lisey Member Posts: 300
    Options

Mystical, I've decided to keep the Irestore LLLT therapy helmet.  By far its the EASIEST solution I've found.  You wear this comfortable helmet for 25 minutes every other day and that's it.  no creams, no oils, nothing.  I have no idea if it's the reason my hair isn't falling out anymore, but I do know that it keeps the 'itchiness' at bay and it's so comfortable, I'll probably just continue with it indefinitely.  The other thing that is interesting is I started noticing my hair was turning gray last year.. but since I've been using the irestore for the last 5 months, my hair is much redder than it was... I don't know how, but it seems to be reviving my hair.

• lisey
    Options

Hi Everyone, just checking in.  So I know I've been waffling back and forth on whether or not to keep the irestore.  I've gone 5 days without using it and still no itching.  I was thinking perhaps the irestore kept the itching at bay.  In any case, I'm nearing the 6 month return period.. and my hair is nearly back to normal from a year ago.  I think the dermatologist was right, the itching was from a skin infection (from the darn massage lady) and the hair thinning was from all the surgeries so close together.   I'm going to return the irestore and wait and see if things go south.  If they do, I'll just buy it again from my girlfriends house and name. 

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    Options

Keep us posted, Lisey!
  • rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

I have an appointment with a dermatologist tomorrow. My oncologist wanted a full body look see as she indicated the we lucky folks with BC are at higher risk for skin cancer amongst other fun things. So while I am there I want to speak to her about a plan of attack to keep my hair as healthy as possible. I am on bottle #2 of 60 . Yup I will be counting them down. If I get any good ideas I will pass along.

• rae7200
    rae7200 Member Posts: 23
    Options

I just had an on-line chat with someone from iRestore. The units are expected to last 5-7 years (so that's about $100 or less/year). Once you discontinue, your hair will revert back to what it was before the helmet. If you have questions about your particular situation, you can send them a photo at mailto:info@irestorelaser.com. Good luck. I tried Rogaine many years ago, didn't want the fuss, not the extra hairs on my face. Ugh. Even with the foam, I think it would make me crazy.

Last month I finally had my hairdresser give me a modified pixie cut. So much easier to deal with. We're just dealing with the bald spots as they happen. My mother had male pattern baldness when she died at 93, and it looks like tamoxifen put me on rapid track at 71. Ah, well. Better than the alternative. My husband is dealing with his 3rd different cancer — multiple myeloma — thanks to Agent Orange in Vietnam. We just rock 'n roll. It's only rough when we're both in active treatment (chemo infusions, radiation, surgery, etc. — anything not at home) or going through the stresses of changes in treatment at the same time.

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    Options

Lisey, do not be quick to give up your Tamoxifen for AI's. If you do well on it, and you have a hyterectomy/oopherectomy, you can still take Tamoxifen. I have heard that the AI's are harder on a person's body than Tamoxifen.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

I lost alot of hair going through menopause before breast cancer. Luckily after dx and AI drug use I didn't have additional hair loss.

• lisey
    Options

HI Michelle,

My plan is to try the AIs, but yes... if it sucks, I'll go back to Tamoxifen.  I want to test to see if the mild (now) scalp itching goes away when I stop Tamoxifen for an AI.  I've returned the helmet.  They were very easy to work with and even paid for return shipping.  I liked the helmet, and felt it helped with itching.  I just didn't want to miss my return window and be stuck with it if the itching goes away when I switch to an AI.   My fallback plan is to get another one if I determine it is the only thing that contols my itching and hair loss.  This is a science test for me so I'm not suckered into a placebo effect.

My advice to anyone reading is to try the irestore helmet.  They back up their warrantee and my hair did return when I was using it.  That's all I know at this point.  I guess I'll know more if it starts falling out again or the itching returns with avengence now that I'm off it. 

• lisey
    Options

I just want to report that irestore sent me a check for a FULL refund no questions asked.  I highly recommend this company and helmet if anyone wants to try it out.  I may end up buying another one if I need to in the future and just keep it.  So far the mild itching is under control and just an annoyance.  I wish I never never had scalp massages from that lady, I swear she gave me something. 

• lisey
    Options

Ok, So I can't take it anymore.  All my progress with my thickened hair is going away and the itching is back with avengence!   lol.   My little control experiment has shown me that the irestore was helping me.   My friend is ordering it for me today under her name/address  (hangs head in shame for the poor irestore people who paid for my return shipping and full refund) and I'll never return it again!  

So I guess, I can now state much more emphatically that the irestore laser helmet was effective for me. 

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    Options

Thanks for the update, Lisey! They had a great deal awhile ago but I got cold feet. Some people report losing more hair with it. Not a risk I wanted to take.
  • pldon
    pldon Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am on my last year of a 5 year Tamoxifen regime. Dry skin, total loss of libido, hair a little thinner and gradually all the curl disappeared.

What I'm wondering is whether my hair will get thicker and curly again.

Also wondering if other side effects go away

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

I am on my third year of toremifene, a SERM. I have noticed that my hair curl seems to be changing in a way I hate, but it hadn't occurred to me that the hormones might be behind it. Sigh :(

In terms of dry skin, I started taking phytoceramides after I heard about it on the Hot and Flashy Youtube station. I take the Doctor's Best version but there's others too. So far I'd say I still definitely need to use lotion, but it seems to take away the infuritating itchiness I used to feel from inside my skin, and I feel like I can see a positive effect on my hands.

So far libido does not seem effected.

• delarbar
    delarbar Member Posts: 15
    Options

I have not started treatment but I wanted to share what my stylist suggested when I first started infusions for my Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. I know this sounds REALLY weird but it did work for me.

When washing hair, empty one pack of the pink packet of sweet and low artificial sweetener into your palm and mix with shampoo. After a couple of days it did work for me.

Check with your doctor, but I also was taking a Claritin in the morning and Zrytec at night, which also made a big difference.

Hope you're feeling better soon.