Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Core needle biopsy

Options
Faireygoddess
Faireygoddess Member Posts: 7
edited October 2017 in Waiting for Test Results

Just had a biopsy. It didn't hurt but now that the novocaine has worn off the pain is excruciating! I should have my results by Wednesday.

Comments

• teddy88
    teddy88 Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2017
    Options

Good luck with everything - I was given Tylenol post biopsy and it helped :) I hope all will be well.

Love,

Belle xx

• leaf
    leaf Member Posts: 1,821
    edited October 2017
    Options

For me, tiny ice packs were better than anything oral. Best wishes for a boringly normal result.

leaf

• puppiesnalpacas
    puppiesnalpacas Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2017
    Options

Ooo ouch! I just had my biopsy earlier today too. They gave me a little re-usable ice pack, and that seemed to help.

• Ktktbird360
    Ktktbird360 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017
    Options

the ice is so surprisingly nice! Hope your results come back negative

• Soclwrkr07
    Soclwrkr07 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017
    Options

ice was my favorite when I had mine a couple of years ago. I need to get my ice packs ready for Tuesday.

• zeldabug
    zeldabug Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2017
    Options

I had a core needle biopsy this past tuesday. Now waiting.

I found that the biggest production of it all was dealing with the mammography machine! Who designed that? (no wait let me guess). I have teeny tiny breasts and it was just about impossible (or so it seemed). The set up took nearly two hours. The biopsy took a couple of minutes.

Im thinking that if the machine wasn't all hard edges ....... it might be easier. There must be a better way. Just sayin'.....

(focussed on this because really I am freaking out....very quietly on my own......I told a couple of friends I was being investigated for breast cancer {field of intense micro calcification in left breast}.......and they both looked as though they would both pass out. Have spent the past two weeks reassuring them. Ive since decided to keep this to myself for the moment.

Looking forward to hearing from others in this strange space

• bew66
    bew66 Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2017
    Options

I hear you, Zeldabug. I focused on how long it was taking to get results from my last biopsy (2 weeks, after they told me 3-5 days) even though I was freaking out quietly. I was shocked and hurt by some of my family's responses when I confided in them. Didn't look like they were going to pass out, just averted their eyes and changed the subject.....and never asked what the results were, or even if I had gotten the results! Now I know to keep my worries to myself.

Hoping for benign results for you!

• Faireygoddess
    edited October 2017
    Options

I'm supposed to get my results Wednesday. They wanted me to come in for my results. I told them I had to work. I told them to leave a message on my voice mail. She looked mortified when I said that. She asked, "Are you sure honey?" I said yes.

• Mariposa62
    Mariposa62 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017
    Options

Just went thru a similar non-response when I told one close frien I need the biopsy done. Totally changed the subject and got off the phone immediately. I’ve since decided to keep this to myself for awhile.

• Milnic
    Milnic Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2017
    Options

I found a a hard immobile lump last Wednesday evening, doctor appt Thursday, ultrasound booked on the Friday as I’m only 34. Radiologists then ordered a mammogram and a core needle biopsy as the mass was suspicious looking. Mammogram showed a lubulated spiculate Mass of malignant appearance with indeterminate microcalifications. Waiting for my biopsy results as they shut over the weekend and I think I may go crazy!

Hoping everyone else gets Benign results x

• Snosafred
    Snosafred Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017
    Options

Milnic

Yes the waiting made me crazy. I was literally freaking out. Have to try and do things to keep your mind off of it. Yeah....easier said than done. I had a cnb on 9/20 which was a Wednesday. Went the next two days and week end. Got the call on 9/25 in the afternoon.

Praying for benign results....

• windingshores
    windingshores Member Posts: 160
    edited October 2017
    Options

You can get an Rx for Ativan or similar help with anxiety, for a few days, especially if you can't sleep. Otherwise, exercise and Netflix :)

I got my results via patient portals. One time I also went to the hospital medical records room. I got results quicker with those two methods. It will be hard to digest all the info via a phone message, I would think. You may be focusing on whether or not it is cancer, but if it is cancer, there is a whole lot more info to take in about its components.

• Faireygoddess
    edited October 2017
    Options

I have been taking Tylenol pm at night. Most of my pain now is where the actual lump is. They went in near my armpit. It's a very annoying spot. I worked Saturday, I'm a mail carrier. That probably wasn't a good idea. I have a very small bruse.

• Milnic
    Milnic Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2017
    Options

fairygodess

Same I just want my results no matter which way they give them to me. I’m a nurse so could technically look them up myself but of course don’t want to breach any hospital protocols. Hoping today or tomorrow to have some answers! My lump is at 12 o’clock and I am extremely bruised and sore as they had difficulty actually getting the needle into the mass as it had a thick fiborus covering and the needle kept bouncing off sorrel like I was stabbed a hundred times. Fingers crossed for you and hopefully results come soon x

And thanks ladies, Netflix and dog walks are my best friends at the moment in between looking after my little ones

• zeldabug
    edited October 2017
    Options

The dr just called. I have an appointment for 3:30 this afternoon to get the resultsof the core biopsy. I will be glad to have information today, but not sure how I will manage from now until 3:30 this afternoon.

I feel like going over to the waiting room now.

• Faireygoddess
    edited October 2017
    Options

zeldabug, praying for benign results for you!

• Faireygoddess
    edited October 2017
    Options

it's b9!

• karentwriter
    karentwriter Member Posts: 113
    edited October 2017
    Options

Good luck with your results! I have to agree the after math of the core needle was far more painful. I alternated between ibuprofen and tylenol for a couple of days. B9 thoughts. :)

• leaf
    leaf Member Posts: 1,821
    edited October 2017
    Options

I'm so happy for you, faireygoddess! I'm sure your experience will make you a better nurse.

• zeldabug
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thank you for your kind thoughts Faireygoddess. I’m very happy for your fabulous results! Yay! That is excellent news.

I had my meeting with my dr today. Turns out I have DCIS in Situ Grade 2. Having done a lot of research in the past 2 weeks it is what I suspected (after the surprise of finding there was anything to be suspicious of).

I feel calm and relieved to have some concrete information. At this point I’m going to keep it to myself until there is a plan in place... then I may tell a few people. This is what’s happening, this is why, and this is where I may need some help.

Depending on what the next dr (I don’t know who or what yet) says I am open to careful watching and waiting. But we shall see. That may be a naive idea on my part. I’ve been reading a lot about overdiagnosis and over treatment .... but am so new to all this....I don’t know much about any of it really

I am glad to be able to write a bit here this evening.

• Faireygoddess
    edited October 2017
    Options

Leaf. Thank you. I'm not a nurse though. I believe windinghorse said she was. :)

• Faireygoddess
    edited October 2017
    Options

zeldabug. I will pray for you. I hope that the choices are easy and the treatments aren't hard on you.

• Ozarkgirl
    Ozarkgirl Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2017
    Options

i have a ultrasound guided biopsy in a few weeks -- do you know if you can get an anxiety med before procedure? I'm so nervous about it -- I almost feel like I'm doing to the dentist (which I dislike) LOL -- is the biopsy painful?

• triscuit
    triscuit Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2017
    Options

Ozarkgirl, my doctor offered me Xanax so I'm sure you can get something before the procedure (I didn't take her up on it because I needed to drive myself).

I have another core needle biopsy tomorrow. Well today I guess, it's morning. The last one I had a month ago, and had 3 sites biopsied. I didn't find it to be very painful. One of the sites was a bit more sensitive than the other two so it may depend on the angle and depth. I'm not looking forward to another but am much more calm about it after having been through it once. I had some pain that afternoon despite Tylenol but by the next day it was fine.

• Ozarkgirl
    Ozarkgirl Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2017
    Options

triscut -- how did things go today?