Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in November 2017

Options

Comments

• Blair2
    Blair2 Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2017
    Options

Nonahope - good luck to you Thursday - my day too. I hope I can tolerate the side effects on TC like you did. I will expect a lot of fatigue (feel half dead now)and the big D. I’m surprised your cancer metastasized so quickly to your bones after 6 treatments along with radiation. Were you high stage to start?

• Binniebin
    Binniebin Member Posts: 53
    edited November 2017
    Options

Just been reading back a few pages, Blair, I too have a dicky heart, I'm 54, began with 2 congenital issues. My mo and rad onc have been very attentive to getting the best safest tmt for me. I totally relate to your fears. My liver (also dicky pre bc from unknown cause ) has deteriorated from first dose, so my adriamycin dose is reduced. No sign of heart issues but I know it's often much later and all the drugs affect it.

RE taking temp, my mo instructions are take it daily and get to hospital if it gets to 100.4, or any sign of infection. I had bl test day 12 post first dose and my neutrophils were 0, so very high risk for infection. Then 2 days later in hospital for febrile neutropenia on Iv antibiotics for 6 days. My temp didn't go up much but certainly had an infection. That truck that runs us over was parked on me for about 10 days. I had 3 weeks off work and seriously couldn't have worked even if the dr had allowed me. So Yes it can happen so look after yourselves. And I do qualify for neulasta for remaining doses of chemo.

Hope all your side effects are manageable. They do pass. My second dose was way way easier and everyone has commented on how much better I look. Have been back at work a week now.

19501952 Member Posts: 80
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thanks Blair2. The information was helpful. Chemo class answered a lot of questions. Claritin wasn’t mentioned with the nulasta but it’s something I’ll have on hand. Thanks and best of luck to you

• nonahope
    nonahope Member Posts: 695
    edited November 2017
    Options

Blair...No I was not high stage. It took 7 years to metastasize. I'll be thinking of you while in that chemo chair on Thursday!

Hope

• Blair2
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hope - that’s a real bummer about recurrence, but you seem so positive and straight forward. I guess one has to be. I hope this is the last of your treatments. Life can be so tedious

Binniebin - at least they caught your infection with that blood test. I guess that’s why they do these blood checks along with checking your wbc. So much to look forward to, but it’s good to hear how it effects people somewhat differently. Thanks for your input.

195252 - Best of luck to you too!

• nonahope
    edited November 2017
    Options

Blair...I've resigned myself to just deal with the situation. There is no cure...just ongoing treatment. When I finish with Taxol, I will be put on another oral treatment -- hormonal, I assume. I often thought if I had had a mastectomy, rather than the lumpectomy, if things might be different. But, when I asked my onco. He said there are just as many BC patients who've had a mastectomy that have had a recurrence -- so, we just never know. Some of us are luckier than others.

Hope

• lizabethm
    lizabethm Member Posts: 105
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hope, I am with you on "going out." I'll stay home one day, and then, like you, make myself go out the next. I am sorry to hear that your BC mets to the bone & marrow. How did they find the recurrence? If you don't mind my asking, what stage and type of bc were you originally diagnosed with? God bless you!

1950-52- the claritin oddly helped with the bone pain from the nuelasta! When do you start your regiment?

Blair- I think they do the benadryl at infusion each time to cut down on having a reaction to the chemo? Is today chemo day?

Erika-thinking of you and your sweet daughter. Praying that your second infusion went well. My second is next Wednesday (week from tomorrow.) It's funny, because I'm feeling pretty good..just in time for the next chemo!

Orange Daisy- I would love to find out if B12 helps! My Mom uses it and now I think I need to do the same!

Where is everyone from? I'm in the good, ole Commonwealth of Virginia!

• Aymerz33
    Aymerz33 Member Posts: 41
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hey all,

Feeling pretty good today - just general tiredness from the huge day I had yesterday and also lack of sleep two nights ago due to the steroids. Those things definitely amp me up! I'm spending the next week at home, to recover and then I'll go back to work after that. My hair is still shedding a lot, but I am hoping that will taper off soon since yesterday's cold capping was much more effective for us than the first time around.

No reactions or bad feels for me during the infusion - appetite is normal and over all I feel fine. A little lonely, but I have my Christmas decorations and my kitties here to keep me company :)

How is everyone doing today?

Lots of love,

Amy

• lizabethm
    edited November 2017
    Options

Amy, did you just do your second infusion? I am due for my second a week from tomorrow on Wednesday. I'm glad you have your decorations up because I'm still working on mine! It is taking me a good while this year. We have two cats as well, and one...Baby Kitty Tinker Belle (my daughter named her) will NOT stay out of the Christmas tree! This is a repeat performance from last year. But, last year, she was a kitten so we thought she'd outgrow this "climb in the tree" phase. I haven't put any ornaments on the tree and Baby Kitty just might be the only "ornament" this year! ;-)

• Erikag726
    Erikag726 Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2017
    Options

Had my port placed yesterday and second treatment. - What a long day, a sweet friend of mine picked me up at 8:30 am and stayed with me until my chemo was completed at 6pm.

The port is sore, but not as bad as last night. Taking Tylenol while at work and will switch to pain meds tonight after I drive home.

My DH shaved my head this morning to 1 inch and today is first day wearing a wig. It is OK, will be ready to switch back to my bamboo cap on the way home, I hope I put it in my car this morning.

Moving so slow, took me so long to get out of the house this morning. My DH is taking tomorrow off as a vacation day and driving me to work (1 hour and 20 mins each way) so I can attend a critical meeting for as long as I can stand it. Last cycle I felt fine until about 2:30-3pm. on Wednesday. Thursday is my "yucky" day, so plan on taking a leave day on Thursday.

Friday will play it by ear.

Have the Neulasta injection on my arm, ready to go off tonight around 9:15pm or so. I am sure I will feel better getting this shot than the first cycle. Pretty crappy that you have to "prove" to insurance that you need the injection before they will cover it.

My girls are dealing with my hair loss pretty well, I made sure to explain to then that it is the "yucky" medicine causing the hair loss, not the cancer. I found a couple books at the library especially for children. One is "Cancer Hates Kisses" and 'You are the Best Medicine" I read these to both of my girls separately, since they are almost 6 years apart.

Good luck to everyone this week.

• Aymerz33
    edited November 2017
    Options

Lizabeth:

I just did my second infusion yesterday, yes :) Pretty uneventful, and I made a new friend in the process!

My kitties are all old farts so they mostly leave my tree alone. They get a little curious and sometimes walk on the presents, but they are pretty good. I can't use ribbon to wrap because of those little buggers though! They eat it! That's a vet bill I don't want to deal with :)

I have my living room all set up for comfort for me. No TV, all my Christmas everywhere and my heated blanket. My momma is taking my son to school, and I have friends bringing him home to me. This week, I'm hoping, will be easy on me. I was pretty tired last time, but all in all, I'm grateful for low SE's. I think the most annoying thing was the bone pain from the shots. I'll start those up today around 3pm.

• Blair2
    edited November 2017
    Options

Sounds like everyone is hanging in there and things are steady. I admire working gals getting through this, and all you busy mothers. I only put my wreath up today - not in mood for holidays. Laughed at kitty stories as I grew up with cats, had my Sadie for 18 years, and my doxie who passed away a year ago (although a dog), - wish I had them to snuggle with during this crazy time. I was looking for a pet this summer, but got busy - now this mess. :(

I called my cancer center and here’s what they said for my first treatment getting the Taxotere and Cytoxan. Please be aware that this is according to just my case - may not be the same for others taking the same chemo drugs. It might help to list some of this for others though, so here goes:

1. No, you don’t need to bring ice as they provide it. She sounded like I wouldn’t have neuropathy problems. She said that these drugs will make my wbc and rbc go down, but not as low as what the other drugs cause for that condition to be a problem. So, should be one less headache.

2. Yes, I can take all my vitamin supplements (fish oil, multi-vitamins, calcium, and Co-q-10.) along with other heart drugs - the statin and blood thinner.

3. I can take the anti-nausea pills overlapping them at 4 hrs apart between Zofran and competzine, but anti nausea drugs will be in the treatment. So she recommended I wait at least 24hrs. or until nauseated. She also warned me that Zofran wouldn’t make me as sleepy as the other anti nausea pill - competzine (which is actually prochlorper on my bottle - a generic I guess). So I will take the Zofran during day and the other at night. I also have a bottle of lorazepam, but she said to judge my anxiety taking it not with the others, because it too is for nausea. (So confusing). So in other words - enny mynie mo.

4. For big D. Ok to take probiotics and Imodium, but again wait and see what your system does.

5. For constipation, no - you don’t have to take Miralax brand - any brand will be fine. (This was kind of a stupid question, but they throw out these brands sometimes like you need to take that brand).

6. Bring a lunch Thursday and relax - ha!

I think I’m prepared. Will mix my soda and salt solutions tomorrow and take a big breath

• QuirkyGirl
    QuirkyGirl Member Posts: 67
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi there! Four years ago I joined a group just like this and we all went through chemo and radiation together. Four years later we are still cancer free and stay in touch in a special Facebook group. I just wanted to send you all a huge boatload of encouragement. Super glad you have each other. We all agree it made the world of difference for us. I've found chemo to be like labor. The memories of misery fade with time. Stay hydrated, don't be afraid to ask your MO anything, and stay on top of your pain. Those were my big take aways from my four cycles of TC. Big hugs to you!!! Bev

• lizabethm
    edited November 2017
    Options

Quirky Girl, thanks for stopping by with the encouragement-it means a lot! And, funny you compared chemo to labor because that is how I was explaining it to my husband. When you are going through it, it feels like it will never end and that you could NEVER do the rest of the transfusions...but, then, a week goes by! HA!

Blair-good luck tomorrow-you and I are on the same regiment of TC. I did not have neuropathy my first cycle and I hope I don't get it. taking L-Glutamine to hopefully thwart it. You've got this tomorrow!

Amy~sounds like you are set up to rest this week! We could probably write a sitcom about cats between the two of us! ;-)

Erika~I love those sweet books you mentioned-I have an 11 y.o. daughter and 14 y.o. son. We talk about cancer and treatment and they seem to take it well, but then my son confided that he had a nightmare that I had a fever. I hate cancer because of how it affects our loved ones. You and I have the same chemo regiment. I keep thinking that chemo will end, radiation will follow all when Winter is thawing and Spring is beginning. That's what I look forward to, hibernating this Winter and coming out of the cocoon in Spring!

• Blair2
    edited November 2017
    Options

Lizabeth - thanks for your best wishes, but it’s Thursday that is my first chemo date. Tomorrow is my last day of freedom. I see we are matched all right. My surgery date was the 12th, but this site keeps changing it for some reason to the 11th.Did you get a port? And are you on a 4 round treatment? Keep your side effects posted. I know you said you didn’t have nausea - did you take the pills around the clock to prevent it?

• lizabethm
    edited November 2017
    Options

Blair~I didn't get the port because my oncologist said I wouldn't need one for just four TC infusions. I had my first infusion in my arm, IV, with no problems or bruising. I didn't have nausea but I did take the pills for the first couple of days. I did have some issues with the Big D, but not enough to make me take anything for it.

• frozentoes
    frozentoes Member Posts: 48
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi all, I am really happy to read that your treatments are going well. Today was #3! No Benadryl or steroids and lucky for me no reactions! So it sounds like I can continue my treatments with only the Pepcid as premed.

So here’s another example of how everyone reacts differently to chemo. After the 2nd treatment, I must have been pretty good at avoiding the SE truck because it finally caught up with me yesterday. I got home early from work exhausted with muscle and joint aches. I hadn’t been able to eat anything because I totally lost my appetite. As my friend so succinctly described it, I felt like a wrung out wash cloth.

At my appts this morning for treatment #3, my blood work came back with low white blood cells and low proteins. The doc said to go ahead with treatment but they want to make sure I’m eating a lot more protein. Any suggestions on how to eat more protein?

• Aymerz33
    edited November 2017
    Options

Lizabeth - we SHOULD write a sitcom! Cats are so silly.

Frozentoes - I'm so glad that you've been going through this so well. For protein, focus on red meat - that will help with both white and red blood cell counts. Adding in dark leafy greens, nuts and beans will also help. I'm not typically a red meat eater, but it's been hugely helpful during all this. Perks me back up really well. Are you doing the neulasta shots?

• Blair2
    edited November 2017
    Options

Frozentoes- Glad you are hanging in there. Boiled eggs, or eggs prepared any way, peanut butter, cheese, those nutritional liquid supplements, tuna, all meats are considered high protein, yogurt. Beans are good protein- just depends what your system likes or can tolerate with these foods. Some snacks like trail mix and some of those breakfast bars are high protein, but if the big D is a problem, need to watch out for too much fiber.

Lizabeth - that's what I was told about port also by my doctors nurse.Must be due to TC drugs.

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi, all - Had my first infusion (TCHP) yesterday and it went well, all things considered. Long day - about 7.5 hours, including an extra half hour of Emend as part of my pre-meds, since they told me the oral version ran about $500 and might not be covered by insurance.... No side effects during the day, and nothing other than some port pain once we got home. (My port is towards the outside of my left breast, in front of my armpit area. I think the tradeoff for having it in a less obtrusive location is that it is over muscle and movement probably aggravates it.) I took some OTC Tylenol then and an Ativan at bedtime. The cold capping went well and helped keep us busy, which made the time go by.

Neulasta shot today made my arm a bit sore and I went ahead and took a Claritin to ward off potential bone pain.

I don't seem to be getting the boost some of you mention from the Decadron, but I made the most of the fact that I felt fairly good today and stopped to pick up my prescription for Ambien on my way home from my injection. Then parked the car and walked over to the library and back, so got some fresh air, Vitamin D and 2 miles of exercise in.

• Blair2
    edited November 2017
    Options

Magari - that is great news for the initial dose. Hope you have few side effects. Let us know how it continues to go. It's a feel by day I suppose.

• nonahope
    edited November 2017
    Options

Lizabeth M....I don't really remember the stage of my BC. It was IDC with 3 lymph nodes tested - 1 that tested positive and was removed. I had a lumpectomy at that time (2010). After surgery, I was on the same chemo cocktail as you, followed by radiation. As for the recurrence, I had severe back/lower rib pain 6 months ago that didn't respond to meds for muscular strain etc. My PCP ordered a CT with contrast which showed cancer in my rib area. So, from there it was on to the oncologist. Further tests (bone biopsy and others) showed that it was BC that had metastasized. Last month I had a bone marrow biopsy because my blood counts were all over the place -- that showed BC cells in the marrow, as well. So, I am now on Taxol for several months.

Amy...So glad you are feeling good!

Erika...I hope your meeting goes well and you can stay for the duration! I haven't shaved my head yet, but I did pull out an old wig yesterday to wear to the grocery. I still have a bit of hair, but I'm thinking it will be history by Christmas! Remember to take Claritin for the bone pain you might have from the Neulasta.

Blair....You are ready!! Good info for those on your cocktail. I will be sitting in my chemo chair tomorrow, too!

Bev...So nice of you to drop in with such encouragement! Glad all is going well with you.

Frozentoes....I had a horrible time eating while on my CT treatment years ago. I lived on cottage cheese and ginger ale. I had no appetite, plus everything tasted like metal. If you can force yourself to eat high protein foods that would be awesome, but it's hard when you have no appetite for anything. There are lots of foods, other than meats, that are high in protein.

Magari...So happy your first infusion went well. Here's hoping each one does the same!!

Wishing all a pain free day!

Hope

• Blair2
    edited November 2017
    Options

Nonahope - I’ll be thinking of you too tomorrow too. My prayers are with you on such an unfair ordeal, but we could all end up with the same years from now. It doesn’t make us feel warm and fuzzy to realize recurrence will always be a threat. You’re not alone on this. I hope they can keep you comfortable with this second round. Newer drugs are always improving the control of cancer and hope is all we have to carry on. Keep that wonderful positive attitude you have and we will all wish the best for you!

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi everyone !
    Day 2 of #1st Chemo.

I took a handful of Ativan when I got up yesterday before Chemo started, 
    they don't have TV's - bummer,  But the 7 hours went very fast.  Excuse to buy a Tablet.  
      * Started out with Emend (for anti nausua)
      * next more Anti -Nausea ALOXI 

* More Dex (steroids)

* Ativan - didn't tell them I had already taken some - IV is way better than pills anyway

* Herceptin started (2 hours) (1/2 observation) 
     * Texatere - 1:15 minutes - iced my hands since Raynaulds wasn't there - so I iced till it kicked in and chewed on ice 
     * then Carboplatin 45 Minutes 
     * strapped on the Neulasta Pod to my tummy - they said the ones on the arms tend to fall off easier (my *ss MO and Pharmacy Oncologist that I insisted come in with me to see him - they got into a little tiff about that)  Few minutes later the "rubber band snapped" catching me off guard - I doubled over - didn't hurt - just surprised me - like a playful pretend punch in stomach,   Countdown - Neulasta will release at about 7pm +

OHHH - most important I put EMLA cream on port sight about 1 hour - it kept sliding off port and I kept squishing it back on thru the saran wrap - but it was only a slight pinch and felt nothing else! Yeah!

I felt fine - all day yesterday.  took my dog for a walk, then started feeling really tired and clumsy.  Slight headache.  
        Taking Comosizen for nausea and Ativan every 6 hours - and eating Brat Diet. Not hungry - drink an Ensure last night mixed with frozen yogurt.   
        so far this morning - ringing in my ears - tired. and tummy feels blooted  drinking water like crazy.(I know that feeling of clumsy and tired - its the anti-nausea meds. But rather that then nausua. )

rinsing mouth everytime I think of it - having to cut down on the salt that goes into it - I hate salt. 
      Since they cancelled the Feel Good Look Good Class, My Navigator came by and gave me a boat load of stuff.  No need to order any more beenies or blankets now!  I was eyeing the cosmetics case they had on display - I almost took it. Ha. (just for the eyebrow stuff) 
      SO far I feel ok.. But its only day 2 ........Let me rest, and I'll get back and see how everyone else faired.
    I feel so much Better Mood wise now that DAY #! is over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The anticipation was killing me.  Done! 

• Blair2
    edited November 2017
    Options

Rljes - great news - hang in there - at this point - rest, relax as needed. My day is tomorrow - trying to stay calm today. Thanks for reporting and sounds like you’re keeping the nausea at bay. I plan to report day by day for effects of my cocktail too.

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    edited November 2017
    Options

Checking in, 2 days post-first chemo session, with Neulasta shot yesterday. The main side effect I'm having thus far is pretty significant acid indigestion, which isn't helped much by antacid tablets. Ate some cottage cheese earlier and now some peanut butter on baguette, so maybe that will help coat my tummy a bit. Ambien at bedtime last night only got me about 4 hours of solid sleep; fitful after that.

Forced myself to do stuff this morning while I still had energy - stripped/remade bed and put in a load of laundry, walked to pick up a carton of milk and back (1.3 miles, plus many trips up and down stairs in the house), and am about to attempt my PT exercises. Took my AM Decadron and Zofran. Feel a little spacey/clumsy as mentioned above and maybe slightly achey, but otherwise not bad.

• nonahope
    edited November 2017
    Options

Blair...Thank you for your support!

rljes...Great going on a good first day! I hope your side effects continue to be minimal. Mine never usually hit until the 4th or 5th day...but, nothing you can't handle. I'm surprised you Neulasta after your first infusion. But, maybe your cocktail is one that lowers your WBC quickly. Keep us posted!

Hope

• Meowmmy65
    Meowmmy65 Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2017
    Options

Finally scheduled! Chemo class is Monday, and my first chemo will be Thursday, the 7th.

Love the kitty stories - my youngest (now 24) is allergic, so I haven't had a cat for many years. Good thing my girls were not allergic to dogs. We've had all kinds of furry critters, including a bunny named "Rainbow Peanut." He was a white bunny with blue eyes, but my kid loved rainbows and elephants when we got him, thus the name! (Baby kitty TInkerbelle is an awesome name!)

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited November 2017
    Options

First of all - I can't seem to type - so guess!

so glad to hear from you Meoummy - I will mark that down on my calender when you start #1 Chemo. You will feel so much better once it begins - ask for IV Ativan! the Anxiety will be over with the waiting. I had cats while I was travelling and living in an apt.  They were my babies:) Imagiitive children you have!

Magari = what about Nexium for acid reflux?  I take 2 a day.  --oops behind.  I need a chart. 

Blair - Your chemo starts Tommorrow right?  Be thinking of you!

Nanhope - they took labs for wbc/Vit B6/Vit B12 and Vit D - not in yet.  I told them I was not coming back for labs in 7 days.  give it to me now and they agreed.  They said with my cocktail its normally needed. 

I still feel ok.. been doing laundry - washing all the scarfs and beenies they gave me.  I really need to eat something - but I;m afraid.  Maybe another Ensure with Frozen Yogurt - lips are tingling. been swishing like crazy with baking soda and water with a tinch of salt.  Keep Posting everyone!  Lets see what works and what helps!  

• nonahope
    edited November 2017
    Options

Meow....Glad you got things scheduled for chemo. My infusions are on Thursdays...so, I will be thinking of you!!

Rljes...I figured your cocktail might be the reason for the Neulasta right off the bat. Try to just eat a little bit at a time. I was always afraid I would get sick when I ate, but I didn't. I hope you don't lose your taste buds -- that's the pits!! So, enjoy food while you can still taste it.

Hope