Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in November 2017

Options

Comments

• lizabethm
    lizabethm Member Posts: 105
    edited November 2017
    Options

Praying for NonaHope and Blair tomorrow for uneventful and smooth transfusions!

Magari~glad your infusion went well. I am thankful for the old Nuelasta patch as it really did its job with me! I did have bone pain on days 6-8 but make sure to take your claritin and hot baths helped A LOT!

Meowmmy-with a name like that I thought SURELY you had cats! LOL! ;-) Glad your infusion is scheduled. There is something about getting this whole thing started so we can get through it!

Rljes~I also had the bad reflux but it didn't last. I'm on day 15 and I haven't had it for awhile.

Happy Hump Day, Girls!

• Blair2
    Blair2 Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2017
    Options

Meowmmy65 - glad you have your date set. You have plenty here to follow up on as we all report our experiences.

Rljes- yes, both Nonahope and I will be sitting in the chemo chairs tomorrow. I think once I get past this next week, I’ll be able to relax a little more. It's that fear of the unknown.

I’ll try and check in as I sit in that chair. Plan to bring my I-pad, but my friend will be with me all day too. She was a sweetheart to take one of her free days off to be with me all day as have no family here.

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited November 2017
    Options

Happy Blair that you'll have a friend that is going with you - my day went so fast (7 hours)  I didn't have a chance to read or listen to playlist - but as I settle down, I'm sure I'll find something to do. Hoping someone will bring in a therapy dog :) 

Nanahope - best of luck - 

Margari - hope no SE's 

You Go Girls!

• nonahope
    nonahope Member Posts: 695
    edited November 2017
    Options

LizabethM...Thanks for your continued support. It's so important for all of us to be able to reach out to each other during this journey.

Blair...I'll "see" you this afternoon. Yes...that first time infusion is always worrisome, but I bet you do just fine! Having a friend with you will help pass the time.

rljes...Thanks! Will check back later this afternoon when I get home. I hope my 2nd infusion goes as well as the first one. Going alone, but not really....I'll have my book in hand to pass the time!

Hope

• Binniebin
    Binniebin Member Posts: 53
    edited November 2017
    Options

Magari, my doc put me on nexium 40 mg, and advised to use mylanta for a few days while the nexium kicked in. I'll be on it until 1month after chemo, real dose of gastritis. The nexium really helped

19501952 Member Posts: 80
    edited November 2017
    Options

I had my chemo class on 11/27 and starting chemo on 12/5. Picked up scripts for Dexamethasone and Ondansetron yesterday. I'll be getting nulasta after chem on the 5th. It seems weird that this thing “goes off" in 24 hours. What does it feel like? Finally steri strips are coming off from re-excision on 11/6. I've had some shooting pains in that breast which the nurse calls Zingers. Overall I feel fine except for nervousness about the first chemo treatment. I'll let you all know how my first CMF session goes. This is a great, supportive community. The oncology nurse said to stay off the internet and not look stuff up. I didn't tell her that everything she told me I had already read on the internet! Good luck to everyone. Kate

• Meowmmy65
    Meowmmy65 Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2017
    Options

My girls are adults now, but when the younger one was little, (she is the one who is allergic to cats) she LOVED cats. And she had selective mutism - an anxiety disorder. She didn't speak to people she didn't know, she meowed. One meow was yes, and two meant no. She called me "Meowmmy" instead of mommy. I've used it as a username on the internet ever since. :D We had one cat when she was born, but I promised the allergist Phoebe would be our last. It still makes us sad, but we are glad to have our dogs. Happy

And LizabethM - I am actually Elizabeth!

No anxiety here over starting chemo. Just ready to get it going, and honestly, reading how everyone else is getting on with it is reassuring. I think we build it up as worse than it is - not that it isn't awful, but most people end up telling me it was doable. The sooner we get started, the sooner it is over. And then we can move on! (I hope!)

Good energy to all of us - we've got this! We are stronger than cancer!

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi, Binniebin - I got a prescription yesterday afternoon for omeprazole (generic Prilosec), which from what I can tell is very similar to Nexium (generic is esomeprazole.) Will be taking once daily until chemo is done. Seems to be helping limit the acid reflux, thank goodness.

Better sleep last night with an Ambien at bedtime. I woke up several times to urinate (always do, and even more so now that I'm actively pushing fluids) but was able to fall back asleep fairly easily. Feeling a bit spacey this morning but no other real side effects thus far.

• lizabethm
    edited November 2017
    Options

Saying a prayer for our girls doing infusions today! NonaHope and Blair! <3

Elizabeth-I LOVE the story behind your username!

1950-52- when they put the Neulasta patch on, it will give you a pretty painless stick after five minutes. I believe it has a tiny catheter that is inserted. Then, about 27 hours later, you will hear "beeping" from the patch (it also flashes a light.) After the beeps, it will "tick" for an hour-that is the medicine going in. Once the ticking ends, it will "beep" yet again and then you can remove it.

It's a gorgeous day here and I'm going to sit outside and soak up some "D!" :-)

• rljes
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi All! 
    1950-1952 my Nuelasta pod went off 27 hours after they put it on after chemo. about 5 min after they put it on - a tiny snap like a rubber band went off  (they put it on my stomach - said it tends to fall off when put on the arm - but my MO denied that ) It was an NON issue . I never felt it again until it started beeping 27 hours later to let me know it was injecting - again I felt nothing. 

I am the queen of worry and feel everything.  Nothing.  I didn't even feel them access my port with the Emla Cream. I had no reactions - The Dexamethason is great!  It gives you so much energy - take advantage! 

I am on Day #3 of First Chemo - and feel fine.  I've been taking my Compazine and Ativin every 6 hours so no nausea.  No Big C no Big D - In limbo, so not so sure which way to go - should I take more fiber and see what happens?  No Bone Pain from Neulasta Pod Shot - yet.  Just feel little off - a little dizzy and tired and clumsy - probably from the Compazine, Ativan and Ambien. and mouth swishing with baking soda/pinch of salt and water everytime I go past the bathroom.  I'm putting "tree Oil' on my fingernails - and lathering my skin with creams. My nose is stopped up. Don't want to use afrin - that's kinda harsh - so using the nasel gel. And trying to drink 60 oz of water - that's a little hard.  

Glad Binniebin got  your Nexium.. 

Thinking of Blair and Magari on your first Chemo.  Take care!!!!!

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2017
    Options

Shaneswife8 - just happened to see your post.  I was not Trip Neg, but wanted to pass this along.  I've talked with several TNBC who were also BRCA1 who did have good responses with Taxol.  I've noticed listening to women through the years with TNBC that often someone who doesn't have much response on AC chemo, has a real response with Taxol and vice versa.  Only my limited observations but I talk to tons of breast cancer patients.   

Sending my best to you!

• Mom4gma3
    Mom4gma3 Member Posts: 123
    edited November 2017
    Options

How soon after treatment should you start feeling sick? I had my first treatment yesterday, and nothing. Not wanting I look a gift horse in the mouth, but no nausea, no stool issues. I’m taking my steroids like I’m supposed to but haven’t touched the zofran or compazine. I just keep waiting for the shoe to fall and I actually feel great.

• lizabethm
    edited November 2017
    Options

Mom4gma3-I felt relatively fine for infusion day and the following day, then on the evening of the third day I went downhill. But, seven days out, I started feeling better.

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    edited November 2017
    Options

mom4,

Wish you minimal side effects. Based on my experience, you may crash as soon as steroids wear off or Neulasta kicks in.

For steroids I took 48 mg of Deca something for each chemo. It took about 48 hrs.

For Neulasta it was about 36 hrs. - 27 for actual neulasta clock and a few more hrs for my body saying NO!!!! to Neulasta.

Please take it easy.

• Mom4gma3
    edited November 2017
    Options

Thank you, trying to get a handle on what to expect next is the worse part. Everyone is different and every tx is different, you just feel like you are wading in the middle of the ocean waiting for the shark attack. Lol.

• Mom4gma3
    edited November 2017
    Options

I am not getting neulasta, which I am grateful for since it seems to have a lot of pain involved. I took my own steroids the day before, I the day of tx and two more days of my own so that covers me a couple days out.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited November 2017
    Options

Mom4 - some people have very minimal side effects so don’t get yourself too Work up, maybe you are one of the lucky one. I wish you luck.

• Blair2
    edited November 2017
    Options

First Treatment

Thank you all that thought of us today who went through our first chemo! This is a great sisterhood! I got home about an hour ago and all I've noticed is that I'm a little lightheaded. I had no headaches or funny tastes. I was very comfortable. My infusion took about 3 hours. First they gave me Taxotere and bumped it up 50% intervals. Then Cytoxan was given last hour. They warned it could cause a headache and if it did, just let them know. I was fine. My lab work was excellent. My doctor said to take my Zofran 30 minutes before I eat tonight. I'll probably take my lorazepam before bed and possibly get up during night and take a compazine. I'll most likely waste a lot of these pills, but as I said before, don't trust these drugs and I don't like being nauseated.

I wasn't too thrilled that I have one of those Neulasta injectors that go off in 27 hours, but I didn't want to go back tomorrow for a shot. (On north side of town) I don't think this drug is good for my heart, but I'm stuck with it now. I iced my feet and hands for a while prior and during treatment, and after - whether that prevents neuropathy- time will tell. I wasn't told to do this - just did it as a preventative. My doctor claims I shouldn't have very bad side effects. I hope she's right, but I plan to keep you posted each day.

I have a lab scheduled exactly a week to check blood cell counts. Now I will attempt to eat!

Ate fine,and no bruising with the IV - and I’m on blood thinners, so that was good.

• Aymerz33
    Aymerz33 Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hey all! Hope the day has been good to you :)

Feeling pretty tired today, but I had enough energy to wrap a few gifts and to change my bed. The SE's so far have been really mild. My mouth feels dry, and the fatigue, but so far, no pain. Yay!

My momma came over with lunch for me, which was a nice treat and I am going to head back up to bed to snuggle my kitties and have another nap here pretty soon! My hubby will be home with my son pretty late since he has dance, so I have the evening to myself. All these long days alone are pretty lonely, but I am SO glad that I don't have to work or be up and about unless I really want to.

• shaneswife828
    shaneswife828 Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2017
    Options

Day 3 post round 2 of AC. I am super exhausted and sick as hell. They gave me dex to take for 3 days starting on day 2 in hopes it would make the nausea more manageable but so far not so good lol. I just keep reminding myself this is all temporary. I can hardly eat or drink(I force myself too) because nothing taste even remotely good. Shaved my head on day 13 because I was losing a ton of hair and now it is really coming out. I have a feeling I will be fully bald by the beginning of next week. I am so ready to be done this journey and start living life again. I have spent the last 3 days sleeping non stop and I know tomorrow will be the same. I hope all you other lovely ladies are doing well and that chemo is treating you kindly. This sure ain't no walk in the park. 2 more A/C then on to 4 DD Taxol which my oncologist said we will go one by one and he won't push me to do them all.

• shaneswife828
    shaneswife828 Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2017
    Options

Denise...I had surgery first and they believe I am cancer free. All my scans we're clear, node negative, unifocal mass, no lymphovascular invasion, and markers are low. I am doing 4 DD A/C which are kicking my ass followed by 4 DD rounds Taxol. My oncologist is going to play those by ear and take them one round at a time. He said if it hits me as bad as the AC is he won't expect me to nor want me to complete them all. He said it will all come down to risk vs benefit. I am hoping Taxol is a breeze but I can't help but have doubts as AC has been beyond pure hell.

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    edited December 2017
    Options

Shaneswife - Sorry to hear you're having such a rough go of it. I told my oncologist that vomiting was my biggest fear and have been given multiple drugs to combat it. Emend as part of my pre-chemo infusion, scheduled Decadron (dexamethosone) and Zofran (ondansetron) for days prior to and post chemo, and both Compazine and Ativan as backups for breakthrough nausea as needed - so far unnecessary, but glad to have them. Please let your onco know that you may need more help in terms of meds!

• rljes
    edited December 2017
    Options

Day #3 evening and I'm still ok. No SE's as yet. 

I;ve been taking Compazine and Ativan regurlary every 6 hours - no nausea, been eating small meals of chicken and rice and pasta, banana,  taking 2 claritins to ward off from the Neulasta shot that went off yesterday at 7pm .  Just tired.  Slept for 4 hours this afternoon.  and what is really something is I have not had a migraine since infusion. And I have chronic migraines.    Took Truman for a 1/2 hour walk, and my hips started hurting, but they always do anyway, but I guess the only thing that was different was my shoulders ached while walking.  that went away. little jittery, and foggy, (cant' spell)  I've been swishing with mouth wash - just tingly lips - 

Lizabeth - can you be more specific when you said you went down hill on the evening of the 3rd day? That's where I;m at..  What about Constipation or Diarrhea?  I think I;m on the BIG C side.  been drinking Smooth Moves Tea and took a Colace and couple of fiber pills - don't want to go the other way - its a fine balance!

Yeah to Us!  so far so good. 

Blair. plz don't feel you are wasting your anti-nausea pills  you want to be proactive.  Once it starts (IF) it starts its hard to get on top of . 

Mom4gma - I feel the same way - waiting for the ball to drop. when I woke up from my nap I felt a little funny but it went away when I got up and ate something.   Good Luck to Us ALL! 

• Blair2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Crystal - you are definitely going through the gamut with nausea, and I wish I could make your misery go away. I so feel for you. Words just aren’t always enough. Your situation is making your body work it’s hardest, but keep in mind it is going to kick cancer in the butt. Look at it as a means of killing the cancer cells, and the nausea is temporary. Nausea is just a normal body reaction - but exhausting when you have a bad case of it and frustrating when the pills aren’t much help. Easier said than done, I know. My daughter when she was little with flu, she never let her throwing up bother her. I remember her telling me one night, - “I wish I could throw up to feel better”. She took it like it was no big deal when she did get sick and I thought - what kid would wish this? How does she do this and not get upset? I was so opposite when I was young, I cried after I got sick to my stomach and hated it ever since. She never seemed to mind it, but a part of me thought she was absolutely nuts! So many of us hate it. I’m glad she can throw up with ease, but it is a horrible feeling. She’s now a medical RRT - probably doesn’t bother her to be around people nauseated. Well, this isnt going to take your bad symptoms away or make you much feel better, but thought I’d give you my daughter’s approach when she was 8 or 9 back when. (Little older than you now). I hope you’re doctor can get it under control. Just wanted you to try to cope with it and hang in there. You are stronger than you think! You will beat this! Yes - rest as much as you can too. You need to

• nonahope
    edited December 2017
    Options

rljes...Do you need the Ambien? Ativan works wonders for me to get to sleep. Glad everything is going well. Sounds you have all bases covered...good job!! In fact, this is kinda like a job, isn't it? lol

DeniseG . Thanks for weighing in. We need all the support we can get. Love hearing positive outcomes. Where are you in Ohio? I'm on the east side of Cincinnati.

Mom...enjoy the no side effects, thus far. I find they usually hit around the 3-5 day...but are tolerable. Maybe, you won't require the Neulasta, but if your WBC tanks, this is the usual medication. When I took it, I didn't find it that bad.

Blair...It sounds like you whizzed right through your first infusion. You are doing great keeping on top of things with the nausea meds and Ativan. I never got neuropathy when I was on your cocktail.

Aymerz....Get as much rest as you can!

Crystal...I'm so sorry you feel so poorly. I never did the AC, so I can't relate. Hang in there. It is a rough journey for some.

Hope

• nonahope
    edited December 2017
    Options

Had my 2nd infusion of Taxol. All went well. With waiting, seeing the NP and having the infusion I was there for 3 hours. Came home and took about an hour nap. She was happy with my blood results -- hemoglobin up, and platelets had dropped, but are now up and good...so that was a positive. She said they like to do 3 infusions in a month. The onco said I would be having approximately 6 months of Taxol...guess that means 18 infusions total. One thing she said was of utmost important was to drink, drink, drink - water, that is! Said that will help alleviate a lot of the side effects. One suggestion from her is to keep my water bottle with me while watching TV and every time there's a commercial, take a few swallows. It will be amazing how quickly the water bottles empty. So that was my day, my friends.

• Blair2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Nonahope - we survived with one treatment down at least! It’s good to hear you’re ok and I’m ok. Sorry you have to face 6 mos. of treatments. At least you had no immediate reactions and the fight is on. I’m in bed finally and hope to sleep well, and wake up well. Will have a boiled egg and orange juice for breakfast - hopefully some coffee if my stomach is ok in the morning. I’m probably going to get a rude awakening in a couple of days. My doctor thought about 10 days to feel effects, (seems odd), but not by what I read on here. Drink that water girl! Stay strong and thanks for your support!

• nonahope
    edited December 2017
    Options

Blair...I was on your same cocktail years ago. I was told my hair would start coming out around day 12...my onco was exactly right! My achiness started before you were told. It can vary. Are you off for two weeks before your next infusion? The week before that infusion, you will feel like your old self.

Hope

• Blair2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Mine are every 3 weeks. Next one is 21st, unless there's a complication that holds it back. I figure Christmas Day will be the worst, but I'll figure a way to manage. No family to share it with this year, but this isn't the first time that has happened. I have enough friends that are always thinking of me. Tonight I have three people on guard with their phones next to their bed! That was a surprise as they all called (including my friend that went with me today).

Ok - now going to bed. Good luck everyone!

• frozentoes
    frozentoes Member Posts: 48
    edited December 2017
    Options

Today was better than yesterday. I did get some good news. Since I’m involved in a clinical trial, I get additional scans along with the treatments and they noticed a slight reduction in the size of my tumor already. So, it’s responding to the chemo treatments! That alone makes this weeks worth of side effects totally worth it. There’s still 9 more Taxol and 4 DD AC to go, but hey, piece of cake, right? :) I just have to keep the goal in mind.

Someone had aske when others had started taking their nausea meds, I didn’t take anything until this week (treatment #3). I’m not sure if I’m just lucky or if it finally caught up to me. Now, I’ve taken the compazine and ativan. The ativan has been very helpful with getting to sleep but not making me feel like I can’t wake up. With a little kid, I worry about how she’d react if she couldn’t easily wake me up.

Today I was well enough to go to work. One of my coworkers came up and reaches toward my (very short) hair and say, “Oh, are you changing the color again?” I just looked at her and said, “It’s called a bald spot. It’s falling out.” I would have felt bad if it hadn’t been someone who I hadn’t had pretty in depth conversations with in the past. Maybe I should just start wearing a scarf now