Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in November 2017

Options

Comments

• nonahope
    nonahope Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2017
    Options

Blair....Glad your friends have come forward to help you! Sorry family won't be involved this year, but this is the year to work on you....everything happens for a reason. You are on the exact schedule I was on. You will be amazed how good you might feel the week before your next infusion. Hope you got a good nights sleep. I took an Ativan an hour before bed last night. Since this was my 2nd infusion, figured I'd be prepared to be able to sleep with those steroids in my pre-meds. They don't make me hyper, but they tend to try to keep me awake...I fooled them and slept very well last night.

Frozentoes....That's what I love about Ativan. I get a good 6-7 hours sleep and wake up feeling very refreshed...no hangover feeling whatsoever.
    So happy you will be getting the scans; how great to see tumor shrinkage already!
    Your hair must be similar to mine. I wore my wig of couple days ago to go to the grocery, but only because I didn't have time to wash my hair etc. When I went for my infusion yesterday, I went with my rapidly thinning hair. I can't get away with that much longer, as those little bald areas are shining through!

Hope

• Blair2
    Blair2 Member Posts: 353
    edited December 2017
    Options

I goofed last night and took the compazine thinking it would put me to sleep, but I noticed I wasn’t that tired. Then at 3:30 I got up to take the lorazepam which is what I should have taken before bed. Still a bit groggy, but feel once I wake up will be fine.

After I turned out my bedroom lights last night, my neighbors circulating Christmas star lights were dancing on my walls. As I crawled into bed, I realized one light was also flashing on my sheets. I thought wait a minute - their lights can’t possibly reach my sheets from my window. . It then hit me my neulasta injector was flashing along with them joining inthe Christmas festivities!

Frozentoes- that’s good news on your shrinkage of tumor. Imagine how frustrating it would have been if it hadn’t shrunk. I guess I get to watch my hair fall out soon too. Won’t be fun to see myself bald, but I do have a wig ready and a few scarves.

• nonahope
    edited December 2017
    Options

Blair...That is too funny about the Neulasta Injector. When I was taking Neulasta, way back when, there were no injectors. I had to just get a shot. I know my oncology facility only use the injector now. I'm praying I won't need to find out about them! Hope you have a good day. I'm still feeling good, but guzzling my water like I was told.

Hope

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    edited December 2017
    Options

Morning, all. My side effects hit me late yesterday afternoon - suddenly became extremely tired, achy and felt like I had the flu. Held on until my husband got home from work around 7 and then headed for bed without dinner, which I didn't want. Took an Ambien around 8 and slept fairly well through the night (except for a million trips to the loo.) Feeling somewhat better this morning, though I don't have much appetite and I fear the Big D is lurking once I do eat.

I've managed some tea so far and will make some toast and maybe an egg in a bit.

Has anyone noticed increased soreness/bruising for healing surgery following chemo? It makes sense to me that it could be the case, and I feel like I have more bruising today than I did a couple of weeks ago.

• rljes
    rljes Member Posts: 499
    edited December 2017
    Options

Morning Ladies. The Big C has hit - I'm eating prunes, Smooth Moves Tea, fiber pills, and Colace  Probably over kill, but its been 4 days.  Had a little stomach ache last night, took  "gas X" - solved that, and little bone pain from my hips - no biggie - but I;m Exhausted.  Extreme Tired.  Really Good News = No Migraines!  Yeah Me! 

Frozentoes - good for you getting in clinical trials!  I have all kinds of scarfs now from my first treatment of goodie bags - I'll have to get on you Tube and watch how to tie them.  

So Day 12 - should be shred day >? I had all my Drs and RN's tell me that I would loose my hair - I guess they didn't want me to be caught off guard. 

Nonahope - glad your feeling ok - yes - water water water.  I feel like a beached whale.  Oh do I need the ambiem, I admit I'm addicted. I cant sleep without. Ativan just calms me - doesn't make me sleepy at all. Ambien only last 4 hours. 

Crystal - I'm so sorry your so sick.  nothing worse than being nauseas - Hope something works soon for you. Keep after your MO for something. 

Ok - I'm getting up - I'm going to go walk my dog around the house, get some movement going.  Oh Yes I can! 

• rljes
    edited December 2017
    Options

FYI on the local news - Biotin can cause false warnings - leading to wrong diagnosis. always something !

• nonahope
    edited December 2017
    Options

Magari...You might want to bring up your bruising to your onco. It could be related to your platelets being low.

rljes...Well, you've got that big C covered, for sure!!! I take Dulcolax stool softener every other day. It solves the problem. I expect the fatigue to hit me by Sunday. I didn't have it "big time" with my first infusion. But, it does come on suddenly. I would be watching TV and my eyes just wouldn't stay open. So, I'm off to run errands today while my eyes are still working. What are the false warnings with Biotin?

Hope

• rljes
    edited December 2017
    Options

Nanahope - it was just a blurp (Biotin) on the news - probably nothing.  I know people take it for hair and nail strenghth. 

If I don't have any relief by this evening I'll try Ducolax  - yup have that in my CVS arsenal!  I was really hoping the smooth moves tea would work - maybe for a maint once I get moving.  I;m trying not to get over excited about not having SE's,   Don't want to jinx the situation. 

I'm drinking so much water I can barely make it to the bathroom. I had a dream last night I was wearing Depends. Ha. 

• mkn86
    mkn86 Member Posts: 129
    edited December 2017
    Options

prunes and fig newtons too @rljes :

• Blair2
    edited December 2017
    Options

I’m bruised everywhere (and speaking of prunes) looking like one, from blood thinners now makes me wonder what these chemicals will do. Magari - you are eating just right - small amounts - just feel it out. Relax - hope it gets no worse for you.

My second day after chemo is still ok. I went to Sally’s to buy a wig stand and some nail tabs for some glue on nails that I thought were gel press ones. I’m trying to keep them oiled at night, but my nails don’t grow anymore hardly.

My Neulasta injector goes off at 6 tonight - hope my spleen stays intact and I can BREATH!

Nanahope -I think my pooped out Day will also start Sunday.

This is for the kitty gals - chemo kitties! Thought they were cute

imageRljes - hope you get yourself flowing again.

• Meowmmy65
    Meowmmy65 Member Posts: 125
    edited December 2017
    Options

Rljess - really glad to hear that you are NOT having migraines. I average 12 days a month, and that is with preventative medications and botox. Migraines along with everything else would be awful.

Edited to add... I've scheduled head shaving with my favorite hairdresser on December 21, 14 days after the first chemo. Taking friends along, and we will make it a party. Why not?! Happy

• Mom4gma3
    Mom4gma3 Member Posts: 123
    edited December 2017
    Options

So far so good today! Little nauseated this am, mainly after taking my vitamins and steroids. Ate some toast and took a compazine, just to cover my basis. Good day except being tired, but I haven’t really slept all week, just a few hours a night. May pop a sleeping pill tonight just to get a good nights sleep in. I wasn’t given anything for sleep but I do have my OTC go to. 48hrs post first infusion...

• Aymerz33
    Aymerz33 Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2017
    Options

I realized that I had typed up a reply and then deleted it before posting!

Today has been a pretty OK day for me... I had enough energy this morning to get in a shower, and even pop over to the store just to get out of the house! I wandered around the store for a while and then grabbed a quick bite to eat before heading home. The loneliness is hard for me. My family is gone up to 12 hours a day (now I know how my kitties feel!) on some of our longer days. I'm glad to have friends who are coming over tonight to entertain me and help me wrap presents up :)

The SE's have been super mild for me, and I am SO grateful. Lots of fatigue and some bone pain today, but I have been using CBD oils to try to combat those things, and that has helped a lot. I stopped taking my nausea meds last night, and so far so good. All of the reminder alarms keep my anxiety high, so I am glad to turn those off.

Shaneswife, I am feeling for you - so many hugs go out. I wish I could help alleviate some of the stress and pain and ick you are dealing with. My mother always says "this too, shall pass" though, that seems empty when things like this are going on. It feels like forever.

I'm so glad for this group of wonderful ladies who are going through all this with me! I would be so much more stressed and lonely without you all!

• Erikag726
    Erikag726 Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2017
    Options

Shaneswife, hope you are starting to feel better.

I started feeling sore and tired on Wednesday afternoon, Thursday was rough. I went to work today, was super tired by the time I made it home.

My port is on my left side, but the right side of my neck is really sore where my neck and shoulders meet.I

I need to be better about drinking water and eating my prunes:)

Hoping to feel better tomorrow to be able to enjoy my girls and our town's Christmas kickoff celebration.

• nonahope
    edited December 2017
    Options

rljes....I hope you get "moving" soon. I bet the Dulcolax will be great maintenance. Be sure to get the stool softener, not the laxative.
    I've been drinking tons of water, too. So far, I'm feeling fine since my infusion on Thursday, but that was just a couple of days ago. I have an open house party this afternoon...I hope I make it. I keep waiting for the shoe to drop, and trying to convince myself it won't.

Blair...How adorable!! I lost my cat a couple years ago. Have thought about replacing him, but not sure about it now that I'm going through this journey.

Meowmmy....That will be perfect timing for your new "do"...and a party will make it fun!

Mom...I'm glad you're still feeling ok...good to take the drugs "just in case".

Aymerz....So glad you are feeling good. Enjoy your company and what a help wrapping gifts. Hang in there!

Erika...You should start feeling better in a couple of days. Force yourself, if you have to....to enjoy the Christmas kickoff celebration.

Off to work at my granddaughters dance studio this morning. Then home to get ready to go to an open house party...tomorrow will be my "rest" day.

Wishing all continued days of "feeling good"!!

Hope

• rljes
    edited December 2017
    Options

Nanohope - oops I got the duculax laxative not softner.  Bummer.   I hate taking marilax, but It works.  I thought I was going to die last night ( drama -drama) But I found out if I breathed thru the cramps, it helped. And keeping drugged with massive antie-nausea pills helped me sleep,

My hips, lower back, shoulders, ankles, feet - all hurt like crazy.  My fingers are breaking out with calcium deposits (Feels like splinters) And I'm so tired Its scary.  I;m afraid I'll fall)  No body has checked on me in 2 days, great.  I;ve been drinking so much water I can't make it to the stool quick enough. 

Meowee - I can count my blessings - still no migraines . Yeah Me.  My friends who live pretty far away want to have a shaving party too for me - Not so sure I want that.  I.m not sure how I'll be feeling.  Lovely thought though! 

Hope all takes care.   This shall Pass......, Right? 

• lizabethm
    lizabethm Member Posts: 105
    edited December 2017
    Options

Oh my goodness, Blair! The "chemo kitties" made me LAUGH!!Loopy

I'm praying for minimal SEs for you girls who just had a round of chemo this week. Remember, "this, too, shall pass!"

Speaking of chemo, I have Round 2 next Wednesday. I'm mentally picturing a "snow plow" hitting a snowed-in street! Keeping PLOWING THROUGH, girls, we've got this!

• Blair2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Well girls my third day after chemo has been a whooper. No nausea at least.

Last night I woke up at 2:30 with a slight stomach ache and I was thinking it might have been due to the neulasta that went off just fine yesterday evening around dinner time. I took one of my lorazepam pills around 9:30. Went to sleep by 10:30. So got up went to the bathroom, just peed and thought - while I’m up I’d take another anti nausea pill. I left the Zofran downstairs, so I go down to get the bottle. Walked up to the kitchen cab feeling lightheaded, and started feeling weak on my legs, so I told myself get to the sofa and lay down. It was dark, kitchen light on, but as I headed towards the sofa I collapsed and fell hitting my mouth against the coffee table and was flat on my back. I knew I hit my mouth, (not sure on what part of the table). I stayed on the floor and decided just to lay there’s a few momments until, I realized blood was pouring down my chin and side of mouth. I thought I just cut it a little However, looking at it when I got up this morning, I gashed it outside and inside my mouth and chipped my front tooth slightly. My front teeth are rough on the edge and I think when I hit the table, i bit my mouth through the inside.

To make the story short I called the emergency oncologist number to ask why I was weak. He (not my doctor) said I probably lacked fluids- go to emergency clinic. They to,d me I needed to go to the hospital ER. There they checked my heart, took blood, gave me fluids, and stitched my lip up with 4 stitches and 1 stitch on the inside of my mouth!

I left this morning at 9:30, got home at 2. I can’t believe this happened! My poor friend took me to both clinic and hospital. I feel bad I ruined her day. Now my front teeth will have to be checked by dentist as they are sore, the stitches are killing me, inside my mouth is sore, and I’m wondering how to eat now. All I ate today was an Ensure. I’m drinking water, but so mad at myself now with more bills and probably more dental bills. I have to get my stitches out in a week. I’m not a clumsy person and can’t understand why I got weak so fast. I got down the stairs just fine and didn’t feel that bad. It happened so fast.

Horrible photo, but there’s my icing on the cake to everything else $$$$$$$$$$$$

• Binniebin
    Binniebin Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2017
    Options

blair2 what a horrible experience for you. I hope your pain gets better soon and you manage to eat. Keep up the mouth rinses. I'm sure your friend didn't think you ruined her day, just a friend helping out another friend. Thinking of you

• lizabethm
    lizabethm Member Posts: 105
    edited December 2017
    Options

Oh Blair!!! I am so sorry that happened to you!! ((((HUGS)))) I also felt quite light-headed around day 3. One time, got up to go to bathroom and then had to lay on bathroom floor for awhile because of feeling like I'd pass out. Take it easy, you are in the weeds right now.

Here is how my first week went:

Day 1 chemo-felt ok. Day 2 still felt ok but fatigued. Day 3 This was the beginning of the worst! Felt like worst flu. Day 4 about the same as the previous day. Day 5 Still out of it. Day 6-felt better but then bone pain hit. Day 7- still bone pain but started feeling more "normal." Now, it's 18 days past my first treatment and I feel good-just in time for round two in three days!

• rljes
    edited December 2017
    Options

I'm so Sorry Blair ! (more ((HUGGS))  that you fell.  How scary.  I was so dizzy last night going to the bath room I crawled.  My Bone pain has eased a bit - I've been keeping up on my pain meds, and icing.  Keeping up on my Anti_nausea pills  whether I have nausea or not.  And water water water, swishing, Claritin, And thankfully no more constipation.  Oh Its A fine Line. Those stomach cramps were horrible. I just took a short walk with Truman, took my cane and cell phone in case I fell. Helped my Lower back pain - using Ice.  Nice Friend you have - I'm sure she was more than willing/wanting to help.  

Slight headache - might be from the Zofran - I've only taken it once. 

You girls take care, be safe, move slowly, crawl if you have to. 

• Blair2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks you all for your thoughts. Soon will try to get myself to bed. My temp is 99.8. Hope it doesn't get any higher. Feel so filthy dirty - need a bath. I had a sudden bout of diarrhea about an hour after I got home, and zapped the Imodium and later ate an egg and toast. Can't t eat well with this mouth hurting inside or out. The DR at ER said to keep Vaseline on it - not neosporan because of chemo drugs. (Due to some having neomycin which isn't good). I'm definitely feeling fluish, but no nausea at least. Hardly ate anything and I'm losing weight fast. When they weighed me I had lost 5 lbs. Had an Ensure, egg and toast. Lots of water. I hope I'm not scaring those with upcoming chemo dates, I can see thus is doable - just don't be a cluts and bust your lips!

• nonahope
    edited December 2017
    Options

Good morning...

Blair...I am so very sorry to hear of your accident. What a horrible experience. Thank goodness for your friend being able to help you. I'm sure she was more than willing to do so. I had a similar experience several months ago -- way before my new diagnosis. I was sitting on the sofa watching TV and the big D hit me suddenly. I jumped up quickly to head to the bathroom, got dizzy while sitting on the toilet, "thought" I could make it to the sofa...NOT! I passed out at the doorway to the TV room, woke up in a pool of blood. I hit my face on a wooden cat doorstop and punctured a hole in my cheek. I think my BP dropped suddenly when I jumped up too quickly....so, do be careful. When I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I sit on the side of the bed for about 10 seconds before getting up. Hope your pain eases quickly. When I was on your cocktail, I lost 25 pounds during the course of treatment alone....but, with you not being able to eat with your stitches adds to the mix.

LizabethM....I can so relate to your side effects when I was on your cocktail. I, especially remember the bone pain. Mine would usually hit in the middle of the night and I would be up walking through the house in tears. I haven't had the bone pain with the Taxol...yet! I used to get so frustrated when I felt good, knowing it was time to go back for more!! Hang in there. I know it's not easy.

rljes...Oh no! You're dizzy too!! Good idea taking your cell phone with you. I have mine with me all the time...just in case I need to call someone due to an emergency. When I take a bath, I put both my cell and landline on the floor by the tub. You can't be too prepared in our situation. Hope you feel better soon.

Well, I hope today you gals are feeling better! This is day 4 since my Taxol infusion -- still feeling fine, except for a bit of fatigue yesterday. It seems to hit me in the early evening. But, I'm always up early in the morning.

Hope

• Blair2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Day 4 has definitely hit me with the flu type symptoms. I’m still taking anti nausea pills, but now stretching 6 hrs apart. I haven’t been nauseated at least. Slept most of the morning. My mouth is keeping me from eating much. I ate a half banana, little applesauce and a quick pancake. Can’t chew very well and eggs are about all I can think of to eat that have protein. Don’t want yogurt- nothing sounds good right now.

I’m achey too. Is this bone pain too soon? I have Claritin, but how much to take? I’m letting my anti nausea pill digest for 30 mins, then I’ll try eating some left over soup. I feel like I want to just sleep all day.

Hope Rljes, LisabethM, Nonahope, Amerz33 are hanging in there during our worst days.

Also - hope anyone else is ok if I missed you. My mind is a bit blank today

• nonahope
    edited December 2017
    Options

Blair...If you feel like sleeping all day, do so! Your body needs the rest. I have the generic Claritin - Loratadine. It's a 24 hour dose....so only one tablet needed per day. I haven't taken any yet because Tylenol has helped with my achiness. My onco said I could take it every day.

Hope

• Blair2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Nonahope- thanks, yes I definitely need something for this pain now. It does say it works for 24 hrs. I hate taking so many drugs. I have taken so many naps today! The heating pad helps some too.

Back to snoozing!

• rljes
    edited December 2017
    Options

BLair I think I saw some soup called "YES" that has high protiens - couldn't swear to it, coz I couldn't find it.Suppose to have limited ingredients too.

No such thing as TMI around here - from my point of view - I want to hear it all so I can learn.  I had a horrible bought of the BIG D last night - but I was prepared and had depends on - so I wouldn't feel i had to rush to the bath room.  Ended up having to take a shower at 2am.  Took Imodium twice last night, now I feel Bloated. and bone pain.  And so very tired.  Watching Jason Bourne Movie. 

I wonder - is it just me or when everyone took those pre-med Steriods - Feel REALLy Really good for a few days?  I;m thinking of adding a day - start 2 days before - so I can get some things done.  

I also have calcium deposits from my skin disease - It split open, relieving the pressure but I can tell its infected - Its all black. That's never happened before. (called calcinosis) 

Yes, Day #4 is the day it hit me.  If it wasn't for the Big D - It wouldn't have been so bad.  Is it going to get worse? or Does it hit hard then start tapering off?  I'm taking Claritin 2 twice a day.  Keeping up with the anti =nausea every 6 hours even though I don't have it - (except once)   I just feel Bloated..

Hope - glad your feeling ok... really good to hear that.

Lizabeth - when you started getting bone pain - did you take the Neulasta shot? Speaking of snow plows - we are suppose to get snow next week ! Yeah!  

Erika - My port really hurt until they used it (i put gobs of EMLA cream on it ) and 5 days later the port hasn't hurt at all.  (Cancer on Left, Port on right)  I even forget its there now. Huh,, Never thought I'd hear that from me! 

Aymerz and Binnie in - hope your all doing ok...

Take care all 

• Mom4gma3
    Mom4gma3 Member Posts: 123
    edited December 2017
    Options

Still hanging in there here. No nausea or vomiting, felt the need to make pizzas today so I ran to Wally World to get everything and then stopped at wawa to get a cappuccino with a protein shot (at least I still love coffee and chocolate) and by the time I got home I was just beat. Laid on the couch for a couple hours, then got up to make the pizzas and I couldn’t function, sweaty lightheaded, thought I was going to be down for the count. Fought through it and feeling better now, but wow. Little aches and pains but nothing severe. Trying to avoid extra meds at all costs, but my vitamins and Zantac because heartburn is killing me. This is day 4 for me, and thinking tomorrow may be the start of my downhill trend. Felt good enough yesterday that I went fishing and hung out with friends for a few hours. Maybe that’s why today was rough.

After today I can see how easy it is to forget to be careful. We don’t know what each day is going to bring.

Tina

• rljes
    edited December 2017
    Options

Mom4gma - (tina) excellent post. Great Reminder not to overdo. I'm all for meds to keep from hurting and nauseated, I want to keep on top of it - I've read other posts who didn't take meds and got into some problems and couldn't get ahead.  They played catch up.  But everyone is different.  I hope you were able to enjoy the pizza!  Sounds Yummy! Really Yummy! 

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    edited December 2017
    Options

Sounds like we are mostly in the same boat as to when SE hit. I had chemo #1 on Monday and felt basically fine until mid-day Thu (Day 4.) Then suddenly extremely tired with flu-like symptoms: stiff, achy, slight chills, and no real appetite. I went to bed at about 8pm and slept through til morning, stayed home all day Fri & Sat (Days 5-6) with hour-long naps around noon and more early bedtimes. Mild diarrhea was helped by a couple of doses of generic Immodium.

Today I am feeling more or less myself again. Went out for lunch with my husband and even enjoyed part of a beer with my pizza and salad. A bit of mouth tingling for the past couple of days trying to remember to use my salt/baking soda rinse more regularly. Looking forward to having a good week ahead since I have 2 PT appointments, a checkup with my breast/plastic surgeon and a counseling sesssion.