Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting December 2017

Options

Comments

• sswp
    sswp Member Posts: 61
    edited January 2018
    Options

LAMinders: I'm rolling my eyes right along with you.

Diveslikeagirl: The first day I showed up to work with my wig I tried to act all casual and confident. I put a little more effort in my makeup and clothes to make it look like I was trying to look nice and the hair was just part of the effort. I even had responses ready in my head like if someone asked me about my hair, I would say something like, "I guess this is what $300 hair looks like haha". The only comments I got were variations of "you got your hair cut, looks good". It helped that I had worn my wig in public beforehand and received honest feedback from family members.

• Daniz1983
    Daniz1983 Member Posts: 84
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hey Hariry! You look beautiful in your picture I love it. I’m so so glad you got to do your treatment. How do you feel??

So I went for my post #1 week infusion got my labs done and talked to the doc. Well my WBC was way to low. At 1.4 she said that my neu was .5 which was on the verge of being too scary she said so she wants me to watch myself this weekend and be cautious of going out with lots of people and crowds and to be super careful. I’m soooo worries I won’t be able to do my second round.

Any ways to bring up your wbc?

Thanks ladies.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    edited January 2018
    Options

Daniz1983, most of the ladies in July and August threads suggested drinking bone soup would help out wbc. I tried only once but my wbc wasn’t that low. How’s your red blood count?

For bloody nose, chemo dried up our body, I used nasal gel at night and nasal spray as many times as I needed. Also use humidifier in bedroom that would help out a lots.

Hope my suggestion would help.

• Daniz1983
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello Paulette,

Thank you very much for your response. I just looked at my red blood count it’s at 3.76. I’m. It sure what the normal range is but next to it says low.

Can you tell me what bone soup is? Sorry I feel like an idiot I have no idea. And I don’t know what to do about my blood work. I’m honestly a bit freaking out now that this won’t go back up given that it’s so low.

Thank you!!

• PauletteK
    edited January 2018
    Options

Daniz

On page 6 LAMinders said she made some Bone Both on instant pot, I am lazy I just bought mine in wholefood or Spouts they came in cans. I just warm it up and add vegetables with the both. I checked normal RBC isand you have 3.76 that isn’t bad at all. We pan fried liver and I made liver both to help my RBC during chemo time.

If you need I can take a picture of beef bone both for you. Ask you MO can you havea shot for your white blood cells?

• Hariry
    Hariry Member Posts: 100
    edited January 2018
    Options

LAminder, your "too bad the mask didn't cover the eyes" made me laugh.... haha

JVP, sorry that you found yourself in this group. But I'm sure you'll find all needed support here. I asked for a better (I was told by a gastro colleague it's the best antacids) meds Dexilant before steroid. And I think it works on reducing steroid caused symptoms

ALL the best

• Hariry
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks, Daniz, for the complimentHeart. This round wasn't too bad. I came home with headache and nausea. But not as bad as#1. I was given extra oral Kytril and arcoxia. But towards late night the bouts were intensifying. I ended up popping in ativan (felt even worse, its spinning everywhere). Finally xanax put me in bed.

Our sop here doesn't check cbc after treatment. We only do it on the scheduled day. If counts too low, neulasta given then do later. This round I brought back the jab for me to self administer d5&7

For bone/marrow soup, simply get some chunk from the butcher. chopped into 2x2 inch each. 200-300 g. Together with some raw peanut, lotus root, cook slow (3-4hours) seasoning. Ready to serve.

• Daniz1983
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hariry and Paulette, thanks for the reply. I actually did receive the neulasta shot after my first round of chemo. With AC, MO gives the neulasta patch which goes off the day after. Mine did it was attached to my arm. but then a week later she checked me again post treatment and my blood count to see how I’m doing day 7 and it was super low. I honestly wouldn’t freak out or worry if I didn’t get the neulasta shot already. I’m just so worried and stressed I have no idea if the shot didn’t work or what’s going on with me.. sounds like Hairiry yougot your short after you’re blood count was checked not after treatment?

• Laura644
    Laura644 Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Daniz1983,

I am so sorry that your counts are low. My MO only checks bood the morning of the infusion. I wonder if they will change up from the Neulasta for you, perhaps give you an injection or use a different med. I have to wonder if maybe the patch didn't work. I am no expert, but I think if they manually administer the shot, I would think there is no chance of a defect. My nurse said that sometimes they are defective, but you would know because the green light would stop flashing or something. IDK, I feel like there are so many variables. I think it is worth asking. Take care this weekend. I keep wiping the piano and doors with clorox....

• PauletteK
    edited January 2018
    Options

I had neulasta shot during AC, from what my experience even with neulasta your WBC will go low then it will go back up again but take time to do. Once I have appointment with MO on my 7th day, did lab work my wbc count was kinda low also, I was worried but nurse told me I would be fine. After a week my wbc went up high so I can do my infusion.

Daniz, aren’t you having a week break between infusion? I have the pot attached to my waist so it won’t knock off easy.

• LAMinders
    LAMinders Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2018
    Options

Daniz- When I made bone broth- I bought bones from the butcher at the market. I threw them in the instant pot (an electric pressure cooker) with a variety of veggies (carrots, celery, onion and garlic) and about 4 cups of water. The pressure cooker went for 4 hours and then released. I have read that I know I did it right because there is a thick layer of cologen on the top from all the marrow. I drink the broth warmed up (like a soup) but I have so much that I'll probably make a soup out of it this week. Google Psychology Today's article "The Healing Power of Bone Broth- it gives a little info on why the broth is supposed to be good for you.

Bought a vaporizer yesterday and today is this first time in 2 weeks that I've woken up without a dry nose or dry lips. So thanks for that idea!

Yesterday was a REALLY good day for me. Other than losing hair left and right, I felt like myself energy wise! Hoping that will continue until my next treatment on Friday. I could really use a good week.

• Daniz1983
    edited January 2018
    Options

Laura644 and PauletteK,

After the second infusion MO will check my blood like yours two weeks late on the next infusion. She said that she check blood with every patient and has a one on one after the first infusion with everyone I guess to make sure they were ok after the first treatment and to see how the blood count is doing. You know Laura I actually though the exact same thing perhaps the shot didn't work or didn't go in right. But it was attached and taped up to my arm good I felt that prick good too and then when the meds went in it made a sound and was blinking for 45 minutes and then after that the green light was off and read your to remove. I am definitely going to ask MO if the show could have failed. I would honestly rather them just give a shot in the arm lol.

PauletteK thank you for saying that!!! I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one who is having this then. I am having two weeks between infusions I am scheduled to go back on the 12th I really pray and hope I'm like you then where the WBC goes back up by then. Until then I'm just gonna lock myself in the house this week I'm not risking this. ShockedSickTired

Thank you ladies soooo much. Heart

• Daniz1983
    edited January 2018
    Options

LAmnders,

Thank you so much for the recommendations I really appreciate that I actually just got a pressure cooker as a gift and will definitely give that a try!! I have everything but the bones but hopefully can get those relatively quick and will make it

Thanks I will lookthat article and read through that. I may also just suck it up and make some liver too yuk but it'll help.

I also forgot to mention on top of all this MO wants be to do iron transfusions. Also through the port apparently separately from the chemo a total of 5 infusions to help my anemia.

I am so glad you had a good day you will do great and have a great week. We have treatment scheduled on the same day and it will be a good week.

• sswp
    edited January 2018
    Options

I spent the afternoon doing "music therapy" with my kids. This is the video we came up with. The song is Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down". It has been my anthem these last few months since my diagnosis. The kids have a rock band setup in the basement and sometimes I help them out by sitting in on bass but this time the shoe is on the other foot as I make them my minions for one song. I've never sang before but felt I needed to take the mic for this song and have some fun with it. I've decided that the name of my new rock star persona will be Red Jade lol. Are there any songs you use as your anthem? Post your playlist.

• LAMinders
    LAMinders Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2018
    Options

sswp - You are too flipping cute! That made my day!!!! Thank you for sharing.

• Hariry
    edited January 2018
    Options

I almost jumped on my bed...sswp to join your band. Oh my that was A~W~E~S~O~M~E😍

• sswp
    edited January 2018
    Options

❤️ Hariry & laminders

• mjb1018
    mjb1018 Member Posts: 151
    edited January 2018
    Options

WAY TO ROCK sswp! 💕💕💕

• PauletteK
    edited January 2018
    Options

Daniz, this beef bone broth I picked up from wholefood, I hope this help you out. I have problem to find beef bones so I didn’t even bother to make my own soup. (Lazy)

As far as dry nose, use Arya gel and nose spray then use humidifier. This will stop bloody nose. If anyone of you going to have taxol, you better prepared yourself for bloody nose.

• sswp
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thank you MJB :)

For those of you who are looking to purchase bone broth, I came across this product that is available in my neck of the woods:

http://bonedbroth.com/

• Gigicommon
    Gigicommon Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2018
    Options

Sswp! You go, girl!

• Daniz1983
    edited January 2018
    Options

Paulette, thank you so much for posting this and sharing this pic. I really appreciate it!!!! I will definitely look for it at whole foods.

I also took a screen shot of your message to save that gel you mentioned so I can save it just in case I have the same problem.

Thanks again!

• sswp
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks Gigicommon. Playing music helps me cope.

• Laura644
    Laura644 Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2018
    Options

sswp- Rock ‘n’ roll, girlfriend – rock and roll!!!!

If I lived a little closer to Alberta, I’d bring my keyboards over so we could jam!

Second AC today. I was a little jittery going into it; almost took Xanax, but managed OK. I felt OK afterwards by 4 o’clock I was feeling so tired and I felt like a big block of cement . I took the zofran, really feel like I’m gonna throw up this time. I feel so miserable - The time seems to pass so slowly. I’m going back tomorrow for fluids and Neulasta injection. My MO gave me a different prescription for nausea patch since I had such terrible headache last time.

A lot of my hair came out yesterday morning - not what I expected. Seems to shed makes a big mess in the shower.. I wore a hat to the concert in the afternoon and I watched a lot of videos learning how to tie scarves last night.

• sswp
    edited January 2018
    Options

laura644: jamming with you would be great :).

I can relate to the tiredness and the cement comment. That’s exactly how I felt after my first infusion especially days 3-5. I remember thinking how will I make myself go back for more chemo? I tried to sleep as much as possible to block it out and make time pass. I felt so relieved when I started feeling better. I hope you and anyone else going through their bad days get lots of rest and start feeling better soon. I am scheduled for chemo 2 this Saturday, I’m anxious to get through it

• Hariry
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hey girls, hope everyone is doing fine.

Exactly the word-cement, intoxicated, numbed. I'm d 5post AC today. This round is not that tiring compared to the previous one. This morning I'm going to jab myself with the Neulasta. Hope by week 3 my counts would be good to proceed.

I buzzed my hair, not to the skin, the shorty hairs still shed and is all over my pillow and bed and everywhere Arghhh....

It's so awkward to stare at myself in the mirror

• Daniz1983
    edited January 2018
    Options

Laura644, I hope you are doing okay and wish you many great days ahead. I hope you nausea doesn’t last long this time around. I’m definitely not looking forward to my 2nd round which is this Friday (if my WBC are up) we shall see.MO did mention that I may need to come in Monday for fluids which definitly will help.

Hariry, is this your 2nd round of Ac? And one more question are you doing it every 3 weeks? Hope you’re doing well.

I still haven’t cut my hair today is Day 11 it hasn’t started falling out yet I’m scares it’s going to and I still haven’t cut it Shocked

Sending y’all hugs.

• mjb1018
    edited January 2018
    Options

When I buzzed my hair (Friday, chemo #2) it had already started to fall. That cut lasted until Monday night. Tuesday morning in the shower, so many tiny hairs came out. Just took one more day for it to stop. I still have a covering of really light, tiny hair, all over. It’s still pretty tight. For all intents and purposes, I look bald now! I have an obsession with cute hats now! Must stop buying! In other news, today is Day 11 after Chemo #2 and the BEST I’ve felt since chemo started. No meds of any kind today! Mouth soreness has begun, though. Boo hiss

• Daniz1983
    edited January 2018
    Options

mjb1018, that so great that you’re feeling well and no meds that’s amazing!! So sorry about the mouth sores I’m sure mine will start next week. Scheduled for round 2 this Friday. Terrified of the sideeffects lol and that I’ll feel worse. But oh well. Mayb I will do like you did cut it before #2 Bc I may be miserable and won’t be able to get it done after.

I must admit that even though it’s only been a little over a week an half since my 1st AC treatment I already feel a little difference in my tumor. It doesn’t hurt anymore, I can touch it without pain and it actually feels a bit softer and tiny bit smaller. I know it sounds crazy but it makes me excited I hope this nasty AC treatment kills and tortures the crap out of those nasty cells like it did me. Anyway enough of me hope everyone is doing well.

• mjb1018
    edited January 2018
    Options

It’s totally not crazy Daniz! I noticed the same with my tumor and MO confirmed! Great to feel it working! For the sore mouth, I’ve been rinsing/gargling with baking soda and salt. A teaspoon of each mixed in a glass of water. Especially after eating. I was diligent about it yesterday and it feels a lot better today. This tea is really nice, too. I can’t stand plain water now, so this does double duty. image