Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Need advise-going flat

Options
13»

Comments

• GenevaC
    GenevaC Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2018
    Options

Great to hear the self-accepting, body positive thoughts from many women here. I did wonder a lot about reconstruction ( I’m 40) but since my diagnosis /surgery 3 months ago, I’ve come to be comfortable as I am. I have ordered my first prosthesis and anticipate wearing it when I return to work. Meanwhile I’ve taken the kids to the pool half-flat (I’m small chested) which makes me proud of myself for not letting others’ expectations prevent me from living my life.

• aweate
    aweate Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2018
    Options

I did it and so far so good. It was a hard choice but I am happy! Drains are drying up at the week mark so hopefully those come out soon. Thank you so much to everyone that helped me with this choice. I know that the surgery and living flat is what is right for me. On with life and here to healing well. I am proud of myself for being brave.

• lisey
    lisey Member Posts: 300
    edited March 2018
    Options

It's awesome you went flat Aweate.. here's to Rocking the new you!

• mojoputts
    mojoputts Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Options

Thank you for your post. And your comment that your belly looked big without breasts to balance it out. I've been trying to imagine how that will look. I'm a little chubby but am working on it.

• mtngrrl
    mtngrrl Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Options

I feel or felt your pain. I had reconstruction on the right over 4 years ago and suffered the iron foob. I finally convinced the PS that I am done having this constant reminder in me and want it out. I had my explant March 2nd. got the drain out march 8th. and started PT today. I felt instant relief. I was one of the scared ones not knowing how I would cope being flat on one side. I got to the point of just not caring anymore just get it out. You are right they make it sound like it will be just like normal but it isn't. And definitely not a new normal we want to accept. I am so happy it is gone and as far as I'm concerned my last surgery.

• bluepearl
    bluepearl Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2018
    Options

Yes, my belly looks bigger but it IS a reminder that that kind of abdominal fat is dangerous, especially to your heart, so it also indicate visceral fat accumulation around organs. Best way to get rid of it is a low carb (simple carbs) diet. I do that and two days a week, I fast on protein only OR 500 calories per day for two days.....the fasts are really good for you. My belly is getting less and less too and some of my heart palpitations have gone. Ad I walk 2km per day and on Sunday, 6km.