Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Options

Comments

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited February 2018
    Options

I had my second fill on Friday and asked PS about stretch marks that were already showing up. Even during pregnancies, I never got stretch marks. He said they would fade. I like your idea of coco butter. Anyone try vitamin E oil to massage onto them?

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2018
    Options

My PS recently told me I can now start using a scar cream and she suggested using a lotion with cocoa butter and/or Vitamin E. I didn’t think about trying an oil though.

• maggie2
    edited February 2018
    Options

On second thought, the oil may be a bit mess

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited February 2018
    Options

I have new stretch marks on my legs from losing weight too quickly after the surgery. So fun. I’m using Bio Oil but I don’t know how effective it really is

• Nancy116
    Nancy116 Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2018
    Options

Philaflash, I'm getting stretch marks after my first fill and I've been using lotion everyday since the fill day. They make a cocoa butter just for stretch marks, I might try that. I have to go for radiation in a couple of weeks so my fills with stop for a while in fact they might have to pull some fluid out before. Hoping not.

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 2,009
    edited February 2018
    Options

philaflash, dreesides and lovecanada, chemo went well. I slept most of the day. I was little hyper Friday evening for a couple of hours. I made a huge mistake and did not listen to your advice. I worked Saturday Sunday and Monday 5 to 6 hours a day. Today I am totally wiped out. There isn't anything left in my tank. No other side effects. But I have been taking the Claritin every evening and drinking a lot of water. But I should have rested more. Sorry to hear about the stretch marks and the issues with the fills. Thanks for the support.

• LoveCanada
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks for the update Jo. I'm glad it went well and really glad to see your side effects aren't too bad! I had my pre-chemo appt today and completely forgot to ask about Claritin. I'm not planning to go back to work until after the first round to see how it goes. I'm hoping I'll be able to work on Fridays (treatment is Thursdays) and rest on Saturdays and Sundays but I'm realizing that may not work out.

• jo6359
    edited February 2018
    Options

lovecanada, the problem is none of us know from day-to-day if we're going to experience minimal side effects or a lot. It makes scheduling very difficult.

• LoveCanada
    edited February 2018
    Options

Yes, good point Jo!

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi, Jo - I'll bet you're laying low today. I was usually overactive until two days after I stopped steroids. If it's any consolation, my oncologist said your response after first chemo kinda sets the tone for the remaining sessions. A belwether, if you will. And it was, for me. It helped to deal with the remaining sessions. Fatigue was cumulative and got worse, but I never developed N or V since I didn't have it my first round. Good luck and rest up.

• jo6359
    edited February 2018
    Options

philaflash-That's good to know. I will be more aware of energy conservation.

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited February 2018
    Options
    • Hi Ladies, just checking in....did any of you hear about the surgeon at (I think) Sloan Kettering who has done several node transplants, taking a branch of nodes from the abdomen and re locating them to the armpit?. I guess this could be a life changer for lymphedema sufferers. I was interested to read all your updates and glad everyone is moving ahead and finding equilibrium. I can't really contribute much as I did not have reconstruction. My incisions are healed and I have full range of motion except my right side is still a bit tight when I do my wall walking exercise. Like some of you, I am getting the nerve zingers from time to time, I am using Argan oil ($11 on Amazon)on my incisions, I am very pleased with it as it is non greasy and also is good for your hair! It warms right up as I apply it and is keeping my skin very soft. It's pretty weird to look in the mirror at a flat chest and no nipples...but with prosthetics and my clothes, I look just like my old self but slimmer as I am wearing a much smaller cup than my original C.

Jude

• jo6359
    edited February 2018
    Options

jude- Im going to look up the article on the node transplant. Sounds promising. Glad you are doing well.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited February 2018
    Options

The surgeon that will be doing my DIEP next week does lymph node transplants. Dr Klein at UF Cancer Center/Orlando Health. I had a lot of nodes removed but haven't had any issues so far but I'm definetly concerned.

• jo6359
    edited February 2018
    Options

twills- Recently I had 18 nodes removed. I have concerns re: lymphadema. Thanks for the information.

• jo6359
    edited February 2018
    Options

i just noticed 2 large red marks on my face. Is this a SE from chemo.

• Philaflash
    edited February 2018
    Options

Jo - facial rash can definitely be a side effect of chemo...steroids can also make you flush. I developed a facial rash after my second round and it lasted a week or so, but always came back after each round. Ask your oncologist at your next visit. I needed a topical antibiotic at one point because it looked like very angry acne, especially on my scalp after I'd lost my hair. Rashes can vary person to person, so mention it next visit, unless it gets bad before then. Oh, the joys of chemo.

• jo6359
    edited February 2018
    Options

thanks a lot. I'll follow up with my MO. Thanks

• jo6359
    edited February 2018
    Options

philaflash- I just checked my lab report. My blood work prior to my chemo session on Friday showed very low white blood count and low red blood count. I had hemmorraging postop and had to return to surgery the next day. I know this impacted the red blood count but would it have significantly impacted the white blood count?

• Philaflash
    edited February 2018
    Options

Jo - How low is low? I'm guessing it wasn't low enough to stop chemo. They will check your counts before each round. Hemorrhage shouldn't necessarily make a big difference in your white count. For chemo, they're looking at your ANC, or absolute neutrophil count. Did you receive neulasta after chemo? My oncologists (and surgeons, for that matter) weren't overly freaked out by my hemoglobin, even when it hit 9. My surgeons operate as long as it's over 9, and don't even think about transfusion unless under 8 or symptomatic. My white counts were good throughout chemo. Everyone responds differently to chemo, depending on the drugs they use. If you're worried, ask your oncologist.

• jo6359
    edited February 2018
    Options

Philaflash- I was just worried that it was slightly below-average before chemo. I'm going to stop looking at my labs LOL

• maggie2
    edited February 2018
    Options

Jo, I hope that you're having a better day.  I just noticed that you're ER-/PR-.  I met with the MO for the post-surgical path report, which said IDC (4.5mm), triple negative.  The original biopsies back in November said DCIS ER+/PR+. During the appt, I had no idea what to even be asking him.  Since we have to wait for the kidney tumor surgery and recovery before chemo can start, he's sending it for mammaprint/blueprint testing.

Any others in the January group that are either triple negative or the ER-/PR-?  It seems to be very rare.  Is the carboplatin, taxotere the standard chemo?  I very briefly looked at the Triple Negative forum, but right now it is too depressing to read, especially with threads such as,  "Someone Here Survived TN?"  Reading about our January Group is much more uplifting!

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207
    edited February 2018
    Options

Maggie2, there are many threads that are too depressing to read. I was laid very low after reading about hormone blockers, which are in my near future. I agree, January group is much more positive.

Best to all the January ladies!

• jo6359
    edited February 2018
    Options

maggie2 and miranda- I'm with you. I prefer the more uplifting threads. I am going to speak to my MO in 2 weeks regarding the specific drugs being used for my Chemo. Other than fatigue, I have had a good week. My problem is every time I look at my labs I pick up on something and I start obsessing about it. I need to stay the heck away from that stuff. Later on I'm going to have to look at treatments for hormonal negative in greater detail. There are too many things to learn about this disease, treatments, Etc.

• jo6359
    edited February 2018
    Options

maggie2 and miranda- we were fortunate to have such a great January Surgery Group. The support from so many made a difference. Especially the funny ones.

• maggie2
    edited February 2018
    Options

I agree about our January Group! Having just moved this summer into the area (a corporate relocation cross-country), all of you wonderful Ladies have been a godsend for helping to get me through these past months.

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207
    edited February 2018
    Options

Maggie2, same here.

jo, information overload and negative material can really bring you down. Whether or not positive attitude = better outcome, it certainly is easier to get through treatment that way.

I spoke to my MO about having read so many negative SE's from hormone blockers, and she said to remember that people who have negative experiences may be more likely to post. There are people on this board, and whom I've talked to, who have gotten through treatment with relative ease, so I'm hoping that will be my experience, and wish the same for everyone here.

I'm also keeping in mind that just a couple short months ago, I was pretty convinced the end was near, so I have to remind myself how fortunate I am.

• rdeesides
    rdeesides Member Posts: 233
    edited February 2018
    Options

Maggie,

I'm Triple Negative. If you have any questions just let me know. Standard chemo for TNBC is 4 AC + 12 weeklyTaxol. Sometimes Carboplatin gets mixed in. You are so early stage they may not need all of that. I got all of it plus the Carbo.

There are a lot of survivors of TNBC, don't stress out. There are also a lot of new treatments on the horizon, but hopefully you won't even need to think about that. The good news is that TNBC typically responds well to chemo, so just stay focused on that for now.

Please reach out if you need anything!

Rebekah

• maggie2
    edited February 2018
    Options

Rebekah, I’m sure I’ll be taking you up on your offer to answer my questions. Thank you. You are in San Diego? We lived in San Clemente before this relocation. We were almost neighbors!

• krose53
    krose53 Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi Everyone, I had my second round of TC on February 12. Unfortunately on day 3 of 2nd round, my husband comes home with what turns out to be Influenza A flu despite a flu shot. By day 5, I thought I might be getting it It was hard to tell with some other chemo symptoms mixed in Ended up in the hospital with positive Influenza A, possible pneumonia and very low BP. I was admitted yesterday and I will be hopefully be released tomorrow. Please everyone, be extra careful about contamination especially the week after your chemo treatments. I’m lucky to have a great private room and everyone has been awesome. Some positive notes!! Hang in their everon