Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Options

Comments

• Jjewel
    Jjewel Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2018
    Options

I will be praying for you, Micahmom! God is good, ☺️

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 2,009
    edited June 2018
    Options

micahmom- I hope everything went smoothly today. Sending positive energy in your direction. Let us know when you have the results.

• jo6359
    edited June 2018
    Options

micahmom- I hope everything went smoothly today. Sending positive energy in your direction. Let us know when you have the results.

• Micahmom
    Micahmom Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2018
    Options

I’m almost one day post op and in severe pain. My dr took out the sentinel node and said the tumor was incapsulated. No nausea yesterday especially three hours after getting home ate two soft shell tacos. The cancer coordinator gave me a black bag full of info a a pink polka dot pillow which is a god sent. She also gave me a pink broomstick without the broom part. It’s for exercising my left arm. I guess I’m doing well. I did have a crying spell while talking with my husband. He told me to cry whenever I need to. I thank God for a great husband.

• Willow22
    Willow22 Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies! I hope you don't mind me popping in with some questions... you gals have such a supportive group going and are far enough out from surgery to hopefully give me some feedback. And hi to Rdeesides from our August 2017 chemo group & Toughcookie101 from the cold-capping thread ~ I hope you both are doing well!

I am 1 year out from original diagnosis - right breast DCIS 2.5cm, IDC 5.5mm & 2mm; stage 1A, grade 3, triple negative. I had wide excision lumpectomy + re-excision to clean up margins, chemo and radiation ending in Dec 2017. Luckily my screening mammogram showed micro-calcifications that caused them to do a diagnostic mammo and ultrasound, otherwise the BC probably wouldn't have been discovered.

I'll be seeing my MO Monday for a new lump in my left breast - small pea sized. My April mammo showed an area in right breast that needs follow-up in 6 months, but this is a new issue. I'm going to ask for an MRI of both sides since my breasts are small/very dense and difficult to image with mammogram. If there is anything of concern, I will likely do bilateral mastectomy.

My way of dealing with all this crap is to understand the worst case scenario, and if I can wrap my head around that, I feel at peace & ready to take on whatever comes my way. So I'm hoping to get some idea of what bilateral mastectomy recovery is like. I know everyone heals at their own pace - but even hearing what the common issues & timeline are would help. I am 56 and in good general health.

We also have travel plans to Hawaii for a family wedding that could end up being 6-8 weeks after surgery - no idea if that's even feasible.

Thanks for any feedback!

Willow

• Jjewel
    Jjewel Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2018
    Options

Happy to hear you are doing pretty well Micahmom. Rest, hydrate and rest some more.

Hello Willow22, I had a Bilateral Mastectomy late March. I started reading this thread 5 weeks prior as all these ladies were ahead of me surgerywise! I'm 55, in good health other than BC diagnosis last fall. I did chemo first. Chemo was very hard for me so I chose BMX over lumpectomy for affected breast. I went to direct implant as I stayed the same size. I guess there is criteria for that procedure that I met.

Everyone is different but the surgery portion was the easiest part of the journey for me. I couldn't work for 6 months during chemo. I was working half days 2 weeks after, (as soon as they took the last two drains out), I had 4 drains and 2 were taken after the first week.

Full days 3 weeks after surgery. I was running up and down stairs 3-4 weeks after and resumed full on cardio and strength training at 6 weeks.

Keep in mind, my implants are over the muscle, (easier recovery), no chest wall involved and only a few nodes removed as a precaution. No Cancer cells found in any tissue, thankfully. The chemo did its job. I am Triple positive so I am in active targeted treatment for 5 more months. Those infusions started again 4 weeks ago and I'm feeling weary again. Surgery went very well for me. I think the worst part was thinking about it beforehand as I didn't know what to expect next. You'll do well, hang in there. I'm not sure they will let you fly that soon after surgery so I'dask that up front! All the best......😊

JJ

• jo6359
    edited June 2018
    Options

willow- I had my BMX January 29th and I found it to be very easy. I was relatively pain-free and used only over-the-counter Tylenol. The most annoying thing about my bilateral mastectomy were those damn drainage tubes. I had.4 tubes. One of the ladies on this thread suggested wrapping a compression bandage around the insertion sites. It kept the tubes from pulling on my skin. It was a godsend. It worked. But like you I was also in very good health prior to my surgery. The surgery was the easiest part of this journey. Good luck

• Willow22
    Willow22 Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2018
    Options

Jjewel & Jo6359 - thank you for your responses! That gives me a good idea of what the recovery period is like.

Jo - I'm surprised you started chemo so soon after surgery.... is that typical? I had problems with neutropenic fevers after 3 of my 4 taxotere/cytoxan treatments, and can't imagine how that would've gone with recent surgery too.

Willow

• Jadalulu
    Jadalulu Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2018
    Options

I had my exchange surgery on April 18th, so far so good! The only complaint I have right now is hair loss due to the tamoxifen, but if that’s the only negative I will certainly take it!

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi, everyone! I hope you're all doing well, regardless of where you are in your journey. Quick update about me - I had my BMX January 23rd and tissue expander exchange for gummies on May 16th. My chemo was pre BMX (HER+) and the BMX really was uneventful, except for the pesky drains, which were more nuisance than pain. I'm 67 and live alone in a 2nd story condo and was able to do self care by day 2 (with weight limitations). OTC pain relief only by day 2; nothing needed after day 3. Drains out by day 10. I felt really good by the second week. I started fills two weeks after BMX and they were uneventful and painless. I also started arimidex two weeks out. I have normal bone density. I haven't had any side effects to date (I'm 17 years post menopause...I mean how much estrogen do I have left? Lol.) The exchange surgery was a relative piece of cake and relief to get rid of the brick boobs. I only took Tylenol one day. Started driving day 3.

I'm happy with my recon. My port is out. I'm six months post chemo and I'm sporting a short curly Katy Perry. My eyelashes and eyebrows are doing a second round fallout, though not to the extent of post chemo. They're coming back now. My nails are growing back. I have 3 more months of herceptin/perjetta, then I'm officially done. I'm planning for Vinnie Meyers 3-D nipples in the fall. I feel great and finally feel like I'm coming to the end of this journey. Then a life of vigilance. Best to all of you! Sharon

• jo6359
    edited June 2018
    Options

Philaflash- it's great hearing from you. We went through similar experiences . The drains were the only thing that was a nuisance . It felt good to get those drains out. OTC Tylenol was the only thing I used for pain. BMX was easy. Overall, side effects from chemo were minimal. Do not get me wrong, chemo was not fun. Impaired close vision and blisters on my feet towards the end of round 5 were the worst side effects. I'm not looking forward to radiation. I think because I'm looking at radiation as being more disruptive to my work schedule. This too shall pass. 7 months of herceptin and perjeta will also pass. Glad to hear your reconstruction is going well.

Willow- I started chemo 18 days post BMX. I could have started several days earlier but I wanted to be on a Friday schedule.

• HollyDollyD
    HollyDollyD Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2018
    Options

So some updates and some questions.

(1) Exchange surgery is scheduled August 2, 2018

(2) My onco dr. is giving me opioids so we don't have a repeat of the palliative disaster that was January post surgery. I still get PTSD on this. In fact, yesterday I was in a training at work on Mental Health First Aid, where they compared depression and MH to cancer. It was all I could do to get to the bathroom before collapsing in sobs. MH issues are MH issues. Cancer is Cancer. Welcome to PTSD land. Thank heavens for a great OncoDr. He actually asked me, "What have you used in the past that works for you?" and then he said that is what we would use. Is this so difficult???

(3) Do you gals ever get "phantom pain" after your Mx? I remember reading about this with WWII veterans (hang on...this is going somewhere....I promise). Well, lately, I get phantom nipple pains. This obviously cannot be. I have no nipple. The area around where the nipple was has no nerves - I can't feel anything there. So I was wondering.

(4) We tried the big T, and it gave me severe arthritis. So it's a no-go. So my OncoDr. wants to see me every 4 months for monitoring, instead of every 6.

(5) My semester is finished and I maintained a 4.0 throughout this whole sucky journey.

Days are up and down. I try to stay up, but some days just plain suck. If you haven't posted lately, how's your journey been in the last 6 months? I'm hoping it's been an easy path (well, as easy as this journey can go) with lots of support from friends, family and loved ones.

Hugs,

Holly

• aisling
    aisling Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2018
    Options

Philaflash I am so glad to hear things went smoothly for you and your surgery was such a success! As you had relatively little pain, may I ask if you did over or under the muscle? Are you pleased with the results? Anything you wish you knew in advance? I have all my fingers and toes crossed for bearable pain! But I have yet to decide the method of my surgery this month. Thank you!!

• jo6359
    edited August 2018
    Options

holly- congrats on completing a very successful semester. I thought losing my breasts was going to be traumatic. I actually don't miss them at all. I didn't even get a prosthetic bra. I have a pair of knitted knockers that I keep in my car. Occasionally I will stick them in my camisole if I'm going out for a nice dinner or play. The only time I wear a wig is for work meetings. I keep the wig and my knitted knockers on the passenger seat in my car. LOL. Whenever a person comments on my messy hair I just smile and say I'm having a bad hair day. I've had no phantom pain or anxieties relating to the surgery. I definitely had anxiety prior to my BMX due to the uncertainty of the process.

Philaflash- glad to hear everything with your reconstruction went well.

• Elijahgirl
    Elijahgirl Member Posts: 111
    edited August 2018
    Options
    So I am two days post op I am still in ICU with total bedrest. I won't lie I am very sore but everyone says that it looks really good. Still pretty groggy will talk to you later
  • jo6359
    edited August 2018
    Options

eliahgirl-why are you in ICU and not recovery? Hoping you feel better soon

• Elijahgirl
    edited August 2018
    Options

Not sure why, they have had me laying flat on total bed rest since Tuesday. Today I was able to sit up in bed tomorrow they are going to sit me up in a chair and take me out of ICU they said I could probably go home on Monday. They ended up having to do the TRAM flap do to the previous radiation. My left breast has a blister on it that continues to seep and is cool to the touch but the Doppler readings are good. I have been running a temp so theye are treating me with a lot of antibiotics. More information to follow

• Elijahgirl
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hey girls, just a update, I am still in the hospital and was just transferred out of ICU yesterday. The surgery was a success however they ended up performing a TRAP flap because of the previous radiation. On the left breast I somehow develop a bacterial infection not sure how but it slowly healing. Trust me it looks worse than it actually is. I am trying to keep my spirit up I have been free from fever since yesterday. My skin is just super sensitive these days. And despite all of the setbacks I am still very happy with my decision to have the surgery.

Keep your head up, and push through it will definitely be worth it

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2018
    Options

Elijahgirl, so happy your surgery was a success. Take it easy and be patient with the process, everyone heals and recovers at a different rate. Wishing you a comfortable healing process:)

• Elijahgirl
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hello everyone, I am finally leaving the hospital today. I am looking forward to being in my own bed tonight. I was in ICU for 7 days as I somehow managed to get an infection so they are sending me home with some heavy antibiotics. I am also going home with 4 drains. I was so excited to be able to shower today but it took a lot of energy from me. The only thing I don't like is that my breast tend to get engorged especially the left one and I have to massage it in order for it to go down it is almost like when I was nursing back in the day. For you ladies in waiting keep your chin up and know your in my prayers. Despite the infection I am happy to have gone through this

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited August 2018
    Options

I hope you feel better soon!

• jo6359
    edited August 2018
    Options

Elijah girl I'm so happy you're back home. I'm glad you don't regret your decision. I chose flat and I don't regret my decision either. Each of us have to do what's right for us as individuals. Have a speedy recovery. You've had a rough week

• Elijahgirl
    edited August 2018
    Options

Be advised this is the result of radiation tissue damage that I had five years ago not the surgery.

Hello everyone, I am now 17 days post op, I still have one drain left to take out. But I am happy to be rid of the other three especially the ones near my pubic area so much easier to dress now that they are gone. Went to the grocery store for the first time and my Dr.'s appointment today and was pretty exhausted by the time I got home. I wish I could tell you that it's been a breeze but I had a couple of setbacks. Due to the previous radiation I had, my surgeon could not perform the DIEP flap and instead he performed the Free Tram flap. Which takes a little longer recovery time. So I was in the hospital for ten days. During that time my left breast started blistering, from what I was told was also due to the radiation which then cause an infection so now I am on some heavy antibiotics. I was discharge from the hospital but ended back in the hospital four days later due to dehydration I didn't even know that it was that bad, I suffer from renal failure so it doesn't take much for me to get dehydrated evidently. Needless to say I am happy to be home again. So for those who are recovering along with me I wish a speedy recovery and for those still waiting you are in my prayers!

• Elijahgirl
    edited August 2018
    Options

I have a question to those of you who have had your surgery already, how many of you suffered from bloating? Especially after eating? It doesn't matter if I eat just a little bit I look and feel very bloated. If you experience this how long did it last

• Elijahgirl
    edited August 2018
    Options

imageSo this is what is left from my previous tattoo post op, lol any suggestions on what type of cover up I should get??? Lol

• jo6359
    edited August 2018
    Options

elijahgirl-You are tough. You must have really suffered with your radiation treatments. Tattoo suggestion peacock LOL

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hello January surgery ladies,

I am going in for my revision surgery tomorrow -- plastic surgeon will do reduction, replace the implant, remove scar tissue from radiation, do fat grafting and lift the other breast. Hoping I won't be incapacitated for very long. Two surgeries in one year, certainly not what I wanted but am hoping for good outcome.

Hope everyone is doing well!

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2018
    Options

Good Luck! I am 3 weeks out from my second surgery. Definately easier than first.

• Dlpaquette
    Dlpaquette Member Posts: 71
    edited September 2018
    Options

Good luck with the revision Miranda. I had a double mastectomy so I cannot advise you on the pain. I did recently had my tissue expanders exchange for silicone implants and had to have a lot of scar tissue taken care of as well as an encapsulated expander, the pain was not nearly as much as the mastectomy, hopefully yours won't be too bad.

• Dlpaquette
    Dlpaquette Member Posts: 71
    edited September 2018
    Options

Has anyone else been told they are "hard to read" by their surgeon? I need to figure out how to be less difficult to read. Two weeks ago, 12 days after my exchange surgery I was in a whole lot of pain. I had a Monday appointment with the PA at the PS office, I thought I had made it clear how much pain I was in, but she pulled my last drain and told me my pain was from the drain and I should feel better soon, I once again tried to explain that with the amount of pain I was in I thought something else was going on. She sent me on my way, I left the office nearly in tears because without a fever they decided I was fine. That night I stopped the tylenol and advil so that I could have it at bed time and sure enough there was a fever of 101.6. I ended up in the hospital and extremely sick, lost my implant, but was told that the hardest thing with me is that I am hard to read. I am not a complainer, if I do complain to a doctor they need to listen... is it that hard? My PS knows I don't complain so things may have gone different if I would have seen her.

I also hate it when people tell me the are worse things that can happen when I am feeling bad about unexpectedly losing my implant and suddenly having a sunken in shriveled horrible looking breast. I know there are worse things, I know I will get over it, I also feel it is ok to cry and be down for a couple of days. I think people mourn losses every day, not just the loss of people, but the loss of body parts, the loss of hopes and dreams, the loss of a job they love, a loss of your home or the loss of their health. I admit I cried a few times the first couple days, I am still trying to figure out how to look ok before going back to work, but this is not the worst thing that happened in my life, just something that has been hard for me to come to terms with. I hate it when people tell me how I should feel.