Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 DIEP Surgery

Options

Comments

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited January 2018
    Options

I am new to this discussion group. I am having bilateral mastectomy on February 22. I had a lumpectomy January 4 to remove a tumor from my left breast. My nodes were clear but there were two places in the margins that were not clear. My BS had to remove a lot of breast tissue because of the size of the tumor. My BS said there was not any breast tissue left where the margins were not clean. He could go back in and remove skin over half of my breast. At that point I surrendered to a mastectomy on the left side only. I was leaning towards an implant. I heard from unqualified people that the DEIP Flap was a painful and excruciating long surgery with a long recovery time.

Fortunately, when I met with my PS he sorted it all out for me. He had a patient in the office who was my age, similar BC stats. She was there for her final visit. She had the BMX with the DEIP Flap. She sat with me, shared her experience and showed me the end result. Oh my, it was a beautiful job. She had the tattooed 3D nipples. She looked amazing! She said she would make the same choice all over again.

I decided to go with bilateral mastectomy with the DEIP Flap. I am excited about coming to this decision. I am at peace with having both breasts removed.

I am encouraged because I keep looking for the person who regretted having this procedure. Even with the previous postings where there are complications, these courageous women seem to want to continue on to complete healing regardless of the obstacles they are facing.

I am concerned about the length of the surgery. I have never been under anesthesia for such a long time. I am in very good health, over weight but already dropping pounds due to following a new meal plan since my BC diagnosis. What can I expect upon coming out of the anesthesia and what are the pain levels those first few days?

So grateful for this website and all of you who so generously share your experiences

• aquilegia
    aquilegia Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2018
    Options

bella2013 - I had UMX and no SNB, so may have had it a bit easier. Coming out of anesthesia was no different than any shorter surgery I'd had. I asked for anti-nausea meds, since I'd had bad experiences before. I agreed to get a nerve block in the breast area, so there was no pain at all the first 12 hours after surgery. I had a pain pump button to press if I wanted it, but only used it a few times. Tylenol every 4 hours was enough. The only bothersome pain was from the catheter and skin being chafed from the bandages and abdominal binder. Worse than the pain was having to wear a heating blanket the entire time to increase the blood flow to the flap-- between not being able to move and being too hot, I got claustrophobia.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2018
    Options

Bella2013, what a wonderful feeling being at peace with your decision. I'm sure you'll get your questions answered and we can all learn as you do:)

Will you be having the DIEP at the same time as BMX?

• bella2013
    edited January 2018
    Options

Yes, the DIEP will occur immediately following the removal of my breast

• TWills
    edited January 2018
    Options

bella2013, Feb 22 will be here before you know it and you'll have it behind you. I'll be right behind you on March 2nd. I'm looking forward to it, as much as one can anyway. It's just another ✔️ on the list of getting some normalcy back:)

• lifewins
    lifewins Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2018
    Options

I am scheduled to have a left breast skin-saving mastectomy DIEP Flap surgery the first week of February. Suffice to say I am quite frightened and mostly have stumbled on negative accounts of DIEP complications. When I see that someone is expressing that they had good results and an uneventful recovery, it is mostly from a couple of years prior and few details are shared. I am very glad for this site, but wish there were highly tuned filters so I could see just the results closest to my scenarios when needed and see a fuller view at other times. Technology is spoiling me, always wanting more. My first appointment with the plastic surgeon will only be 4 days before surgery, so very little time to ask to communicate with one of his patients.

I do have so many questions, but can't ask all at once.

One practical question I have is what are the best physical positions to be in after leaving the hospital? I will be able to walk I imagine, should I avoid stairs to avoid the belly wound tearing? What is the best sitting position, should my legs be down or up? If I am laying in bed, should I put pillows under my legs? Is sitting down to the toilet going to be a big deal?

I am early 50's, young at heart and strong of body, I am going to try to get a LOT of exercise prior to surgery to get all my blood vessels using their optimum capacity, but try not to lose weight for the DIEP Flap. I had prior radiation 20 years ago during my first breast cancer (left breast lumpectomy, radiation, chemo), so I am told my breast skin and blood vessels are compromised and there may very well be complications, so I am trying to do anything I can on my side.. All I can think of for now is stretching and massaging and exercising and eating right and trying to minimize my stress (the hard part).

I know there are so many in the world that are worse off, it helps to remember, but I can't deny my own little world, so I will just say this definitely sucks. There is still time for me to back out and just do the mastectomy which is 'now' less scary than DIEP Flap to me, still weighing options in a way. This is a lot to go through to be seen as normal by strangers and to not be reminded daily of cancer in a glaring way.

I am an inherently positive person, will find a way, but jeez... And I am gonna allow myself to call it what it is which is not fun and just crap, people want to spin positive hues so quickly in response...I just want to let myself sit with the fact that it is not positive for a bit.

• bella2013
    edited January 2018
    Options

Lifewins, I completely agree with you, cancer sucks! It’s scary and painful and it’s a huge interruption in our lives. A week ago I was as mad as a hornet. When I woke up from my lumpectomy and was told my lymph nodes were clear I was ecstatic. I thought I will have radiation and hormone therapy and I would be done. Then the pathology report came back showing two tiny specks in the margins. That changed everything because in my mind I am not cancer free. For a week I was in tantrum mode. I was so angry at this cancer. Believe me, I can throw a pity party. As one of my best friends who walked this journey a year ago told me go with the pity party, you have earned it. The last two months have been such a roller coaster ride until last week I just hit the wall emotionally. My surgeon heard from my breast cancer navigator that I was stressed and upset. He called me from his home late Friday afternoon and just talked to me and calmed me down. I could not find peace with any solution to removing the questionable margins. I had been anti mastectomy from the beginning of my journey.

By Wednesday of this week, after meeting with my plastic surgeon I was on board for a bilateral mastectomy with the DIEP Flap. I am at peace with the decision because I have a plan now. I have a solution to my cancer problem.

When I sit and think about the surgery I can get nervous and anxious. I am sure those emotions will increase as surgery day approaches. I try to keep my focus on staying healthy. Staying away from crowds so I don’t get exposed to this ugly flu going around. I am getting exercise and just trying to be the best that I can be on Feb. 22.

I don’t want to give the illusion that I am floating freely thru this process. I have just had two good days where I didn’t have to deal with cancer or make any life altering decisions.

I am sorry that you can’t see your plastic surgeon until four days before your surgery. I think you will feel much better about the surgery once you meet with him/her. Twice in this process the plastic surgeon has given me clarity.

I wish the same for you

• TWills
    edited January 2018
    Options

lifewins, you're right, there does tend to be more negative than positive but then again people tend to look for places to vent so I try to keep that in mind. 4 days before?! Have you had your CT scan? To map and check your blood vessels?

• TWills
    edited January 2018
    Options

If you would like to give exact dates and such so we can keep up and check on you feel free to post. I'll update at the top as well if that's ok. If you'd like to add a Dr or Hospital you can o that as well.

I hope we can all learn from each other and help one another in some way. Sometimes it's the little things:)

• bella2013
    edited January 2018
    Options

Aquilegia, thank you for sharing. I will not be having SNB either so am hoping that lessens the post op discomfort

• lifewins
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thank you bella2013 for sharing. That does suck about having had the lumpectomy and be happy about that and find more has to be done. I had pushed for a lumpectomy against the standard care for recurrent bc and we were going to proceed with it after approval from the radiation oncolologist/breast surgeon. I was SO thrilled, but a 2nd area was biopsied and had cancer and I still pushed for two lumpectomies, but that request was rejected as of yesterday. The thing for me that keeps getting lost in all the terror over mastectomy is the cancer itself, so I do have to remind myself. I requested a body scan to rule out cancer elsewhere, my dr booked me for a ct scan, although I am told there is a danger of false positives.

I am going to contact the plastic surgeon's office today to see if they have anything to share prior to my appointment. I read of more experiences on this site and have opened tabs of some women who appear to have had good experiences from prior years with DIEP Flap, so I can isolate and read just their experience, which just gives me something positive to resonate with. I wonder if there is anyone active here who has had DIEP Flap mastectomy on a breast that had previously been radiated, which adds special twists and challenges I am told..

For some reason I thought DIEP Flap was an opening of the belly and extraction of the fat after teasing out the blood vessels from the muscle, I only found out yesterday that they take an area of the belly including the skin and BELLY button and then stitch it together. Shocking. I thought they only took the skin if you needed the skin for the mastectomy. Really a lot to stomach, pun unintended! Oy, so I am still in process of settling into the idea and am spouting out a lot of rubbish. Another concern I have is that I just realized hours after having been scheduled, that the super bowl is the night before my surgery. What if members of the surgical team were up late and drinking, especially the plastic surgeon who will have to stand there forever... I think I will call just to probe what other dates are open, right? Why not eliminate that extra worry?

I will get more positive, but it just hit hard yesterday and just facing reality.. Lots of things on my list of things to do! And work is SO busy right now too.. ayy

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited January 2018
    Options

lifewins- everything you're feeling is normal and justified. Definitely take some time to just be mad and negative-it's part of the process to get back to positive again.

I will step up and answer your questions about DIEP that you posted. Since you mentioned wanting someone who recently had it done and very few to no complications, here are my stats: I had mine just last year on Valentines Day. Stage 2 was Nov 2. I did BMX with immediate DIEP recon. No complications. I had previous rads to entire chest and abdomen 30 years ago.

One practical question I have is what are the best physical positions to be in after leaving the hospital? You will be sitting or sleeping on your back for 4-6 weeks. No side or tummy sleeping. I sat & slept in a power recliner. I highly recommend it. When sitting it helps tremendously to have your feet up. A pillow under your knees while sitting or sleeping is important to keep stress off the abdominal incision.

I will be able to walk I imagine, should I avoid stairs to avoid the belly wound tearing? Stairs are not ideal but can be done if necessary. You will be walking hunched over at the waist a little for a while. Don't rush standing up straight as the abdominal incision needs time to heal. Keep your shoulders straight, head up and just slightly bent at waist. After about 2-4 weeks you'll be able to stand straight again without worry. With the stairs you worry about balance (pain meds and hunched over posture) and getting tired partway up the stairs and being able to rest (sitting down on the stairs won't be too difficult but getting back up will be).

What is the best sitting position, should my legs be down or up? Legs up, pillow under knees.

If I am laying in bed, should I put pillows under my legs? Yes. It takes stress off the abdominal incision. I found 2 pillows works great.

Is sitting down to the toilet going to be a big deal? Not really. It's the getting back up that is. I would say I was going to the bathroom without needing assistance by day 7-10 post-op. You can't really use your arms to get leverage on any nearby surfaces which is what makes it more difficult.

On the pre-op/consult being just 4 days before...not a big deal. You will likely have your CT scan that day, they'll take pics of abdomen and breasts, they may mark you up for surgery (or may wait til day of). I had my pre-op/consult literally the day before surgery-it was an all day affair. In the end, I had very few “complications", everything healed nicely and post stage 2 I'm very happy with final outcome. If I had to do it over again I would do it in a heartbeat.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask more questions or PM me if you like. I'm happy totalk live with anyone as well.

• aquilegia
    edited January 2018
    Options

lifewins - surgery and rehab is definitely a big bump in the road of life and it sucks, but stay positive. You're fit and in good health and will come through it fine. I got my mammogram results showing more DCIS in Dec. 2016 and am through with all surgeries (may get nipple tattoos) and back to all my previous activities. I had previous radiation also, and my breast healed fine except for a small area of skin necrosis along the lower breast seam that took a long time to heal but didn't leave any lasting scars.

I had much easier rehab than most on this board, but FWIW, I was walking unassisted to the bathroom on Day 3 after surgery (the nurses hated that), walking with a cane the first week home, and with a walker the next week. I'm in my 60's and in good health but not exceptionally fit.

In addition to Lula73's good advice, a few suggestions. If you live in an area with a senior center ask if they loan out mobility equipment. I found that a bedrail was really useful (if you're having mastectomy on only one side) and I borrowed a rolling walker for the first week. You won't need it long enough to be worth buying one. I used a wedge pillow for the first month, and put pillows under my legs.

The DIEP flap surgery doesn't remove the belly button - it just moves it to the right place with all the nerves attached. The PS has to remove belly skin, otherwise there would be loose skin after the fat is removed. In my case only a 3-inch circle of abdominal skin was kept on the flap to form an areola, but I've seen other reconstructions where they use more of the flap skin.

• Runrcrb
    Runrcrb Member Posts: 202
    edited January 2018
    Options

Lifewins,

I will share my DIEP flap experience with you in the hope that it helps. I had single mastectomy Sept 2016 with tissue expander placement. Chemo Oct-Jan; radiation Feb-Mar 2017. DIEP flap on December 13, 2017. I am in my mid 50s and active. I ran, swam and biked regularly prior to breast cancer. I continued to do some combination of those things or walk during treatment and recovery. I firmly believe that maintaining some level of activity and fitness makes a huge impact in your response to treatment and your recovery from surgery.

DIEP flap surgery recovery for me (single breast):

• ICU over night, catheter and PCA removed by 8am and transferred to surgical recovery ward
    • Nurse's assistant helped me get up for my first bathroom trip; after that, i did it on my own - slowly. Same for walking in the hall
    • My surgeon removed the flap monitor (for blood flow) the second morning and said I could go home whenever I wanted. My insurance had approved 3 nights but I hightailed it out that day. I knew I would sleep, eat and walk better at home.
    • I was worried about getting in and out of bed as mine is high. I used a foot stool for about 2 days.
    • A friend brought me a wedge pillow - I used it for 5 minutes - I was more comfortable lying flat on my back.
    • Once the drains were removed (breast and ab#1 at one week, ab#2 at 10 days), I was able to sleep on my left side (right breast was the reconstructed one). I put a pillow between my breasts to support the new one. I sometimes sleep on the right now but more often, the left or my back
    • I walked outside every day, unassisted, once I got home from the hospital. I've been walking for an hour a day for several weeks now and starting at about 4 weeks post surgery, I cover 4 miles in that hour (flat, city walking). I started swimming at 5 weeks and am easing back to running.
    • I started driving after the drains came out; I took nothing stronger than tylenol after leaving the ICU
    • After the drains came out, I did switch to briefs as my hip-height underwear hits at my abdominal incision. I wore stretchy pants every day until I returned to work at 5 weeks; work has been skirts and dresses. Today, at just over 6 weeks, I wore jeans all day comfortably (but still with briefs)
    • Unlike some of the women on these DIEP threads, I was instructed no bra for 4 weeks and did not have any sort of abdominal binder.
    • I didn't have problem with range of motion - I wore large tshirts for the first few weeks and was able to pull on my normal size shirts after 3 weeks or so,
    Regarding the radiated skin - I read my surgical report and talked to my surgeon afterward. He did remove some of my damaged breast skin, replacing it with the more supple belly skin. He also removed the scar from my earlier surgery - I had a nipple and skin sparing mastectomy so my scar is at the breast fold. I have an elliptical shaped "insert" of belly skin on the underside of my reconstructed breast. Looking straight at my breast, I can just see the upper incision. I suspect it will fade in time.

I too asked about the belly button thing. My surgeon explained it this way: they cut an oval/ellipse from hip to hip and most of the good blood vessels are up near your belly button. In order to close you back up, they have released the skin pretty high up your body and bring it down to meet the lower side. They don't move the belly button but do cut a hole in the skin that was pulled down so that the belly button is exposed as it was before - complications occur if they ignore the belly button.

Hope this helps. Each woman has a different experience.

• bella2013
    edited January 2018
    Options

runrcrb, that detailed info about the DIEP is so helpful. Thanks

• Casun19
    Casun19 Member Posts: 77
    edited January 2018
    Options

I am so thankful for everyone chiming in on their past experiences. It's really helping me prepare for my surgery in feb.

After you come home from hospital did you have someone constantly around or can you be left alone? Trying to figure out how much time my husband needs to request off of work... or have a family member baby sit me :) what are other people planning for.

• mitzi458
    mitzi458 Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2018
    Options

TWills....I have a surgical date set for Feb. 21st with Dr. Tseng through UCLA. He said he feels confident that he can use my tummy fat to create two breasts, and will try to make them match. I also have a second meeting with Dr. Anderson who is the head of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at City of Hope on Jan. 31st. He said that I only have enough fat for one breast and will have to use an implant in the other breast (my fear is are they going to match? Especially if I lose or gain weight??). Another surgeon,Dr. Casilleth in Beverly Hills, referred me to a doctor in NOLA because she did not want to do this, or decided she was no longer doing DIEP flaps. I just wish I had until June to recover, no matter who does it, rather than the end of April. I’m so afraid i won’t have enough recovery time...

• lifewins
    edited January 2018
    Options

WOW, thank you SO much for such wonderful responses. Lula73 and aquilegia and Runrcrb, I SO appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, it is beyond helpful. I woke up, couldn't sleep, fretting and stressing, but now I am feeling I can start orienting myself towards peace. But I do think I am going to ask my general Dr if I can get on anti-anxiety meds, as this is way too much and I don't want my anxiety and stress to impact recovery, I asked the anesthesiologist's nurse practitioner yesterday and they said yes it was ok. It is important for me but also for my loved ones who are experiencing a disruption and fear too.

Good question Casun19, I am wondering about that as well.

I just thought of something else to add to my list. It might be time for me to buy one of those waterless shampoos I've heard about.. Thank you all again!

• mitzi458
    mitzi458 Member Posts: 33
    edited January 2018
    Options

To those who have had DIEP flaps, I also have so many questions....

1. Has anyone had different procedures done on each side? Like an implant in one side and a flap on the other? One surgeon is saying I have to do this and I’m afraid it won’t match, especially over time if I gain and lose weight. I hate to go through all of this and still not feel happy. Right now I am flat with radiated skin on my left side (and I think lots of scar tissue

2. If there are complications, do they usually occur in the first 8 weeks? I’m asking because if I have my surgery on Feb. 21st, and I have to travel for work starting on April 25th, will this be enough time to recover? My job is very physical and involves lots of travel and lifting. It’s only for 8 days, and then another week at the end of May. But starting June 6th, I will be traveling all over Europe and Scandinavia for two solid months. Carrying clothes, lifting suitcases, and flying to a new city/country every two days on a small plane.. (I know it sounds like fun but it’s really not—I t’s hard work with no days off, sometimes working 12-15 hours a day). Does this seem feasible? Or am I crazy to even try? I will ask people to help me carry things and push big road cases, but there is not always someone around. Or do you feel almost back to normal at 12 weeks (barring any complications)?

3. How long after Stage One does Stage Two normally occur? And if I need a fat transfer or “dog ears” removed, else done with it, is there any recovery time after Stage 2?

I’m so grateful to everyone on this board. I truly believe that it helped to save my life 12 years ago (along with my sweet husband and my dog!). My sister refused to be part of this amazing community when she was battling BC at the same time. Unfortunately, she didn’t make it. I know how important support is so I’m grateful to be welcomed back here with open arms. I hope I can help others as well as asking for help.

Much love to all...💕💗💕

• Runrcrb
    Runrcrb Member Posts: 202
    edited January 2018
    Options

Casun19, I asked my surgeon the same thing as my husband passed away 5 weeks prior to my surgery and although my daughter lives with me and my son is close by, both have jobs. He said I'd be able to get to the couch but would appreciate others waiting on me from there. I'm fairly independent and as I described, high tailed it out of the hospital ASAP. My son brought me home, friends brought food, and my kids came in and out. I did not need round the clock care. I also had no complications and was not on pain med. I think that will be a determining factor for you - the pain med aspect.

• TWills
    edited January 2018
    Options

In reguards to how much help I plan to have, I'll have my surgery on Friday and will be released on Tuesday(assuming all goes well) my husband will take off work and be with me Wednesday get me all settled and figure out exactly what I need and where I'll be most comfortable and then my daughter will be with me the next two days while my husband is at work. My mom will come down and stay the following weeks I help. I'm hoping that will be enough. That's over two weeks of full time care. I'll be going crazy by then for everyone to leave me alone, I'm extremely stubborn and independent so this Is rough. I'm so sick of myself at this point! Lol

Good luck with your decisions Mitzi458, it's great to have options and you'll figure out what's best as you become more informed. Sometime you just have to go with your gut, no pun intended, when you've researched and asked all the questions you know to ask:)

I wasn't considering the ICU part of the hospital stay, the regular hospital room has a Murphy bed and my husbandcan stay with me there but I'll need to figure out the ICU night if I have one. Hospital is two hours from home so it's not like he can make that trip easily. They do have a hotel on campus and also a bed and breakfast type house that we are staying in the night before surgery since I have to be there at 5:30am. I'll have to see if we can request another night for him if I'll be in ICU. Blah...always something new to concider!

• bella2013
    edited January 2018
    Options

Twills, I would love to be able to keep track of upcoming surgeries. My surgery is February 22 @ Baptist MD Anderson @ 7:30 a.m.

I am a prayer warrior and want to pray for my breast cancer sisters and their medical teams.

Blessings

• TWills
    edited January 2018
    Options

Done bella2013, I'll update. Is that in Jacksonville?

• bella2013
    edited January 2018
    Options

Can anyone who has been through DIEP share the pain level they experienced upon wakening in recovery and the first few days following surgery. I am very encouraged to hear some came of the pain meds quickly.

Thank you to all who take time to share your experiences with us. You all are so helpful

• bella2013
    edited January 2018
    Options

yes, Baptist MD Anderson is in Jacksonville

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited January 2018
    Options

Mitzi- I’d advise doing that consult in NOLA with one of the docs at the center for breast restoration surgery. Women often comment on how other docs said they didn’t have enough tissue and NOLA says they do...they go with NOLA and they do indeed have mouth tissue to make 2 breasts and they have symmetry. With the 1 doc talking about he will try to get them to match and the other saying implant, I’d definitely want another opinion. No other center does more of these procedures than the docs in NOLA. Definitely check out their before and after pics.

www.breastcenter.com

2) at 12 weeks I thought I felt like my old self (how I felt after stage 2 told me I didn’t). I went back to work at 8 weeks and did fine-very tired though. My job also requires lifting and traveling and in & out of the car all day. Yes to having others help you carry things. All of this will depend if course on how you heal.

3) stage 2 can occur as early as 12 weeks after stage 1. Recovery time is typically 2 weeks til return to work. It is a far easier surgery than stage 1.

Casun- my DH took 10 work days off. But we also traveled for surgery. If you’re local then I’d say 5-7 days if he is going to be with you round the clock at the hospital, 2-4 if not. It is a good idea to have someone drop in a couple times during the day to physically check on you and help you with bathing/meals/etc. a lot depends on how you heal.

Bella- every center does pain meds following surgery different. Some have a bulb that gives meds on its own. Some have a pump that you control and some require a call to the nurse for meds. I was kept comfortable with a pain pump. Used it pretty much continuously for the first 12 -24 hrs or so and slept. Then as needed for the next day and then onto pain pills every 4 hours. No matter how they do it, their goal is to keep you as comfortable and as pain free as possible. When you go home that is still the goal. It’s important to stay ahead of the pain when you’re on pills vs treating it when you feel it.

• LiLi-RI
    LiLi-RI Member Posts: 160
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies:

1. I need to correct my date of Stage 2 - it was in October 2017. So recent enough to share experience when you are ready.

2. Prior to DIEP (with prior radiation to right), I did take some anti anxiety medicine. I also purchased a recliner - electronic - andI lived in it. You can also rent one. My recovery was so much better in my recliner.

3. Prior to DIEP, I worked on strengthening my abs, which allowed me to get up and down with minimal discomfort.

4. Prior to DIEP, I nested...it calmed my nerves. I tried to move towels, mugs, medicine to a level that did not require a stretch. I also made lists..what I needed to bring to hospital, what I needed "to do", food shopping etc. I live alone with my beautiful Bella so she did need to board for 2 weeks. I also had a nurse for a few weeks - covered by insurance as I was 2hrs from hospital.

ICU would not allow guests - only visitation, but every hospital has different rules. I was in ICU for 4 days, but I don't remember much. I was in hospital for a week. I have other medical issues.

Finally, I was lucky to have a pain ball sewed into ab so no pain until I left.

YOU CAN DO IT! I love my results. My breasts are warm and feel like my original ones, except the prior radiation caused the loss of my nipples.

Sorry for the length of this ... I only get check boards on weekends. I am for any questions.

Lisa

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited January 2018
    Options

I am getting my tissue expander on Valentine’s day, and still plan to do DIEP in June. Dr. Beschlian at Polyclinic in Seattle.

I have been wondering if working on my abs would help with recovery, Lisa! Something to work on between now and June.....

• TWills
    edited January 2018
    Options

What a Valentines Day gift Leatherette! I was so happy to get my TEs after being flat for almost 8 months. After the initial discomfort 3 weeks or so after surgery I felt great. I was so much more physivallycomfortable than being flat and wearing prosthesis. Doesn't make since but I did, even the softest forms felt weird and like they dug in, and the bras or bralettes would ride up. I did lose one to infection because I had them put in in between chemo and radiation so starting radiation so soon after had its risks. Still glad I tried because even having one was more comfortable than nothing. My plan was to have them placed at BMX but when I woke up...nothing! Now that was shocking and upsetting! Apparently the PS I chose didn't place TEs if radiation might be needed and they found I had 1 node involved during surgery. She did not tell me before and I didn't I now to ask. I went for another consult with a new PS who was fine placing them before rads and gave it a try. It was just bad timing.

I have a question for you guys that have had the surgery already. Do you feel like you got a real tummy tuck? I mean, would you be pleased if you had just gotten the procedure without needing what was removed for the reconstruction?

• aquilegia
    edited January 2018
    Options

Casun19 - you'll definitely want someone around 24 hours/day the first couple of days home in case you can't get up easily, and will not want to cook for a week or so.

I didn't want my SO around at the hospital except for daily visits. For one thing it's BORING. For another, the nurses will wake you up every hour round the clock to check the blood flow in the flap with an ultrasound monitor. That gets old real fast.

I happened to have my DIEP surgery the day of an NBA finals game, and being a huge Warriors fan I was really worried I would miss it. Talk about anxiety! All was well - I was awake and we watched it together in my hospital room.

ThumbsUp

TWills - Good question - for me, the small improvement in my figure is a plus but there are more minuses. Yes, my tummy is flatter than it was, but the scar will never fade completely and my belly button opening is smaller and has an unsightly scar around it. Maybe cosmetic surgeons that specialize in tummy tucks would have done a better job. Also, I will need to have pubic hair removed below the scar since the hair line got pulled up higher - insurance doesn't pay for that. I'm OK with all of the above because it had to be done, but if this was something I did for looks I wouldn't be satisfied.