Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 DIEP Surgery

Options

Comments

• cwins1218
    cwins1218 Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hi!

Can anyone share how long they needed the heavy medicines. I'm about 2 week on Monday from my bilateral Diep flap surgery. Was given oxycodone for 7 days, 4 times a day. I try to only do 2 to 3 times a day.

cwins

• Lolis
    Lolis Member Posts: 294
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hi

I was given gabapentin for two weeks 3 times a day, celecoxib twice daily for 5 days and a drug from the morphine family, fast acting, I was given 20 capsules to be taken every 4 hours as needed. after i was discharged I took maybe 2 of them, however I finished all the other ones.

let the pain guide you, if you need them take them.

Lolis

• Lolis
    edited June 2019
    Options

one silly question, do you ladies wear the bra while sleeping? I am still sleeping on my back and find the bra a bit restrictive.

• cwins1218
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hi Lolis,

Thank you for your response. I wonder if the PS will give me gabapentin. Maybe that may help with this squeezing or throbbing feeling. I a making a list of questions for my PS visit tomorrow.

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited June 2019
    Options

Lolis, wear the bra while you sleep. It will protect your breasts while you sleep and it supports them during the healing process. If your bra is uncomfortable find another one. You may need to move up a size and find a softer sports-like bra.

If that doesn’t work think about a snug tank. I found that to be very comfortable. Please continue to sleep on your back. There is so much healing taking place in your abdomen and chest. Use lots of pillows to support your arms. A pillow under your knees will help support your abdomen. The pillows will also keep you from turning on your side.

Sending good vibes for continued healing!

Bella2013

• Runrcrb
    Runrcrb Member Posts: 202
    edited June 2019
    Options

I was an anomaly- I took nothing stronger that Tylenol starting the morning after surgery.

Ask your PS about the bra as each seems to be different. Mine said NO bra for at least 4 weeks. If yours wants you to continue, Bella provided good advice. Even after my mastectomy and TE placement, I asked and was granted an OK to stop sleeping in a bra after 2-3 weeks.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited June 2019
    Options

Lolis,Pillows, pillows, pillows! An “L” shaped pillow was a life saver for months after surgery, Bella gave you some great advice above. My protocol called for no bra for quite a while after my surgery, I’m not sure what makes the difference except the surgeon. My DIEP flaps were small so maybe that.

• Mncteach
    Mncteach Member Posts: 241
    edited June 2019
    Options

Mine said no bra either. I ended up wearing a sports bra after healing issues and I wore that 24 hours a day until part way thru chemo treatments.

• Lolis
    edited June 2019
    Options

Thank you ladies.

I have reduced the amount of pillows as at my follow up appointment (@ 3 weeks post surgery) I was told to gently start sleeping in different position. I stay on my sides for a few minutes and the right side feels better than the left. I am still using a pillow under my legs.

when did you return to work?

Lolis

• Runrcrb
    edited June 2019
    Options

Lolis, I returned to work (desk job) after 5 weeks. I was hoping for 6-7 but honestly I was doing well and couldn’t justify asking my doctor to work with my short term disability insurance provider for more time. I was tired after those forever few days back.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited June 2019
    Options

Lolis, that’s what the pillows helped me with, different positions. The L shaped pillow helped me stay on my side but gave me a bit of support.

• cwins1218
    edited June 2019
    Options

TWillis

I think my doctor is going to tell me I can sleep on my side and while I'm excited for it....I'm super scared! I will try to find the L shape pillow. Now I'm on my back with a boppy underneath my legs.

• seagirl
    seagirl Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hello All,

I am so grateful for this forum. After a long journey ( I was originally scheduled for reconstruction with diep flap last june 2018) I am now scheduled for July 9th . I have been busy with work and not thinking about it but now as my surgery approaches I am getting a little nervous. I would love advice for how to prep, clothes you wore to keep you comfortable and anything else if there is a post with a list--please refer me to it. Im so encouraged by all of your positive experiences.

Thank you

• brinkofeternity
    brinkofeternity Member Posts: 181
    edited June 2019
    Options

I wore my maternity pants (glad I kept them), which were the only dressy pants I have that I could wear. A BC survivor friend gave me these stick-on pockets I could stick inside any top for my drains, which was helpful too. Keeping a pillow in the car for putting it under the seatbelt was nice too.

Honestly the pain was not as bad for me compared to my UMX, but it did take longer for me to feel normal again. My PS took out some extra fat from my upper abdomen too, which I am thankful for, but it expanded my recovery area.

As for prep before the surgery I only made sure I took a shower beforehand and used that surgical soap they gave me.

Hope this helps!

• AliceKo
    AliceKo Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2019
    Options

Kim, same here, meaning panic. July 20th is the date of my DIEP. that would be surgery #3.

• Lolis
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hi,

I ate pineapple and had a good amount of protein (protein shakes, bars etc) a week before the surgery and continued the pineapple after the surgery. it's good about tissue recovery. I also ate more berries and veggies. if you have enough time increase the core exercises.

I had a shower the night before and the morning of (was advised just regular soap was ok). bring underwear that s low cut and pants as well. Button up shirts at least 1 or 2 size bigger, if you can find dresses that you can step in then that would be easier when you get home and easier on your incision.

Be hydrated and have soups after the surgery and enough surgery (at least equal amounts as your weight e.g. if 155 lb then eat 155 gr of protein), protein is good for muscle repair an recovery. Don't forget the pineapple.

Question about losing weight - I have about 15 lb that I need to lose, I know the new breasts will be subject to the weight changes, did workout help with keeping them from sagging? Also, I am noticing some dimpling on them when I flex my chest muscles, does that go away? it is a minor cosmetic aspect and I am hoping it is not anything serious. I am very happy to have two of them now and hoping that they will continue to be viable!!!!

hugs.

Lolis

• cwins1218
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hi Seagirl,

I am 3 weeks post op and I am too thankful for this forum, especially for my post op recovery questions. I like these dresses from amazon called batwing, oversize, sleeveless long maxi dresses. It has pockets and it hides the drains. I had huge safety pins that I used to pin the drains to my garments because sometimes I would need them in different places, higher or lower based on what was going on. )The safety pins were attached to the tags on my drains and it was attached in that way at the hospital.)

I agree with the maternity pants. I dont own any but anything lower or higher than your tummy scar.

Boppy pillow!!! My savior to put under my legs while sleeping on my back. Which even if you do sleep on your back normally..this is a whole different animal. Someone gave it to me for my breast but I used it to prop me up so I could sleep in my own bed.

If you are concerned; waxing/shaving may help to make you feel more comfortable under your arms and lower areas (If you indulge). I could freshen up...but I couldnt shower right away so I had to use wipes and being shaved made me "feel" refreshed. Sometimes that's all you need for a good rest. Also, I have a bath chair and a hand held shower head which allowed me to shower myself and sometimes those milestones help during the times you feel down about the recovery. Dry shampoo also helps. And everything in your bathroom that you need at chest level. Everyone else has to deal with the items in the bathroom..that's their problem. You need ease and convenience.

I know it's a lot to read bit I hope it helps

• KimE
    KimE Member Posts: 34
    edited June 2019
    Options

Good luck AliceKo. This will be surgery number 4 for me. I'm so over breast cancer. I believe that I have everything that I need for a good recovery but being under for such a long time is nerve wracking to me.

• seagirl
    edited June 2019
    Options

Thank you for all of your replies . I will take the advice for pillows and and pants—- wish I had saved my boppy pillow and maternity pants— but I will make it work. Since it will be warm I have ordered a loose summer dress. Thanks for the idea cwins

lolis thanks for the tip about pineapple and protein shakes. Those will be easy and quick.

Good luck to everyone having surgery this week and thanks again for your support.

Seagir

• DCmom22
    DCmom22 Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi, all -- Joining the discussion. I had umx and immediate diep reconstruction on 6/25. Home from the hospital yesterday with 3 drains. Everyone pleased with recovery so far. I've been focused on the flap and asked PS questions about that, but never focused on ab or asked ps what to expect. Besides the frickin-long incision, it seems a bit swollen. I'm 5 days post-op. Anyone experience that?

• brinkofeternity
    brinkofeternity Member Posts: 181
    edited July 2019
    Options

DCmom22 - How is your drain output? I also had UMX but then had delayed DIEP. I didn’t notice much swelling around my ab though. I did end up with some swelling in my flap when my drain didn’t work properly to get rid of fluid buildup.

• DCmom22
    edited July 2019
    Options

Seagirl: I'm just using regular pillows. (A boppy would've been great, but mine is long gone!) For sleeping, I have a backrest pillow, which is keeping me inclined on my back. Additional soft pillow behind my head, pillows under both arms, and one under knees. My kids call it my nest.

For clothes, I definitely should have asked PS about where indecision and drains would be. I can share what NOT to do: I brought brief-sized panties thinking they'd go over incision--bad idea because of drains. I also thought sweat-pants-style capris would be soft and comfortable. Also bad for the ab drain! So I've been living in loose-fitting PJ bottoms (until Amazon comes). The tops are much easier: soft, loose, button-down. Edit: I've found that large loose-fitting bottoms (granny undies, too) work best.

• DCmom22
    edited July 2019
    Options

Brink: I think drains are doing their job--not a river but enough to empty 2x/day. I feel a little better so will watch it. Ab doesn't feel particularly hard. It may be that this is just a big freaking operation!

• Runrcrb
    edited July 2019
    Options

DCMom - it is a big operation ! Take time to rest and heal.

• AliceKo
    AliceKo Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thank you Kim. I will be ok, eventually Smile. You will be ok too.

Yes, it's a long surgery. I am just saying to myself I have to try it

• seagirl
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hello All,

I am home from the hospital after my mastectomy and diep flap reconstruction. I feel well --am taking tylenol but mostly for the soreness in my back fro hunching and laying on it. I have four drains and my incisions look to be healing well. I feel as if I am in search of comfortable positions to sit and lay down all day and making sure I get to the bathroom on time, those are my biggest challenges, but other than that Im feeling positive. I am looking forward to my follow up and hoping to get at least some of these drains removed.

I could use advice on showering my surgeon says its ok but im worried and also wondering if I can handle it. I may get a chair for the shower. The nurse reccommended blowdrying my incisions--did anyone else do that?

Hope everyone who has had surgery is doing well and good luck to those with upcoming surgeries.

• Runrcrb
    edited July 2019
    Options

seagirl, a shower makes all the difference in the world. A shoelace or something similar to thread through the loops on your drains and then hanging it around your neck will corral the drains for you. I had no problem showering and never did anything but gently pat the incisions for drying. I don’t own a hairdryer! I found that frequent short walks did wonders for helping me get more upright and comfortable. Glad to hear you have progressed to Tylenol.

• Lolis
    edited July 2019
    Options

Seagirl, I also padded dry my incisions. I bought a step stool to sit while taking showers and because I had double diep, i needed help with my first couple of showers.

I would walk every hour around the house to get a good stretch and give my lower back some relief. I alternated between laying on the back and sitting.

• Jenkins00
    Jenkins00 Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hello! I didn't see a 2019 DIEP Surgery in the forum so I hope its okay to post here. I have my DIEP surgery July 24th along with my port removal and right oophorectomy. Looking for tips on clothing especially around the tummy area. I have all my items from my mastectomy last year but not sure what I can wear or what will be comfortable.

Thanks!

• Runrcrb
    edited July 2019
    Options

jenkins00, loose pants or shorts are ideal as you will have drains below the hip / above the pubic area. I simply wore oversized tshirts (i had unilateral) that I could slip into. My surgeon was “no bra for 4 weeks “. I’ve seen others post that they had to wear a bra so ask your surgeon.