Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 DIEP Surgery

Options

Comments

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited July 2019
    Options

I thought I would share this announcement from SOMA. DIEP sisters if your are like me my BC (before cancer) bras did not fit after DIEP Reconstruction. I had lovely good quality bra’s that I was not going to wear again. SOMA is offering $10 & $20 off of your purchase when you bring your gently used bras in for donation. It’s a good cause and SOMA has the most comfortable post mastectomy/Reconstruction bras!

• seagirl
    seagirl Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi Jenkins00,

I am about 10 days after my surgery. I had diep flap on both sides. The best advice I received here about clothes was button up tops that are soft. I also found a cotton button up dress which has been great for the summer weather. I also had a long skirt with a big elastic waist that fit well over the strap around my stomach. I prefer skirts and dresses, pulling up and down my yoga pants had me worrying abut pulling the drains.

Pillows have been such a help , finding a comfortable posistion. You will be amazed at how you feel a little better everyday.

Good Luck on your surgery!

• Jenkins00
    Jenkins00 Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thank you Runrcrb. I don't know about the bra yet. Guess I will find out tomorrow!

• Insideout2
    Insideout2 Member Posts: 108
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hello everyone,

I had my DIEP flap surgery July 23rd. I was released from the hospital on July 27th. So far so good. I'm nervous about seeing my waist after my waist bandages are removed. I'm sure everything will work out okay. I plan on having the surgery after this.

I wanted to thank everyone who posted on this thread because it helps me be prepared for my surgery.

Insideout2

• seagirl
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hello,

insideout2 , Im glad you are feeling well and hope you are happy with your results.

I hope that all who have had surgery this month are recovering well. I am 31/2 weeks post surgery and feel pretty good. I am walking around and have little pain. Just some discomfort on one side and of course still trying to stand up all the way straight . I do get tired easily and am trying to build my stamina as I was expecting to go back to work at 6 weeks. I teach and school begins then. Right now I can't imagine teaching all day, but Im hoping I turn a corner soon. I do have some tissue in my breast that seems hard, did anyone else have that and is it something that can be corrected in the second phase? I haven't contacted my PS about it yet but maybe I should.

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited August 2019
    Options

Seagirl, the hard tissue is normal. It’s due to scar tissue and fat necrosis. It can be cleared up in your phase 2 surgery. After your breast are healed ask your PS about massaging your breast. After my phase 2 he had me massaging them through out the day. It really does help break up that hard tissue. I am a little more than 17 months post surgery and I am quite pleased with my results.

Blessings for continued healing,

Bella

• Lolis
    Lolis Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2019
    Options

Seagirl ask your doctor about massaging your breast. I had some hard sections in both breasts which broke away by messaging. I still have some hard lumps but as Bella said it may be just scar tissue.

make you ask your doctor and do the stretches, I developed some cording as I didn't do my stretches regularly.

• seagirl
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thank you Bella2013 & Lolis Im glad to know that the hardness is common. I emailed my PS today asking about massaging. I just began stretches and range of motion exercises this past week end and I hope that it will help with my being able to reach up.

• cwins1218
    cwins1218 Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2019
    Options

Howdy,

I am 8 weeks post op and back to work after my double MX with diep flap. I will have my second phase during Labor day week. Just wanted to send encouragement and positive vibes to those going through what I will say was the most difficult month of my life. It does get better!! I'm driving, taking long walks and I even climbed a hill for exercise. You can get through it..trust me! CBD oil for breast massage, accept that you may have to rest more than usual-- Enjoy what you see in the mirror. She's you!! And fine hair is growing on my foobies so it means my body has finally figured out why my tummy fat has relocated!

Crystal

• toni333
    toni333 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2019
    Options

Phase 2 question

Hi Ladies. I'm due for my phase 2 surgery soon. I was wondering some if you wouldn't mind telling me what you had done in phase 2 and share your overall experience..

I'm going to NOLA as I felt I didn't get enough support or information in my home state during the first phase. Wasn't even told there was a second phase. Ha! I had to follow these boards to learn more such as what the hardness in my breast was.. (1/3Necrosis.) They kept telling me that I was just swollen. (But I understand that necrosis can happen no matter where you go) I could live with it I suppose but want to hear others stories.

I'm having a lift on the other side and getting rid of a small dog ear.. I decided against lowering the abdominal incision line. Hoping to hear from you! How did phase 2 go and what did you have done.. Thank!

Toni

• Runrcrb
    Runrcrb Member Posts: 202
    edited August 2019
    Options

Toni333, I had small dog ears addressed, a small lift on the left (natural breast) and some fullness removed on the right (my doctor and I referred to it as the side boob). Recovery was simple (I was back to work in a week) and I’m glad I did it. The removal of the fullness was the most noticeable thing for me.

• HopeWins
    HopeWins Member Posts: 81
    edited August 2019
    Options

For folks that are healed (or close to healed) from their surgery/surgeries, how much change did you see in how your pants/bottoms fit? I understand there may be differences between post Phase I fit and post Phase 2 fit, but wanted to see if the healed ladies here are a lot smaller on the bottom/had to buy new pants or saw only moderate changes in how their pants fit or maybe no change at all!

I think I've see some folks say that despite the flatter stomach, their waist line increased. I guess that's because of pulling the skin down? Wanted to understand if that's true for most of you or not. I think I saw some folks have had some success in addressing that issue in Phase 2. Obviously not going to go out and buy a new wardrobe before my surgery but I'm curious about your experiences.

• simbobby
    simbobby Member Posts: 94
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi Hope,

I have only had round one of my free tram flap last March. I am down one size in pants

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hope, I noticed more of a difference after stage 2 where I had fat grafting with the fat removed from the upper hips. I have a hard time finding pants that fit. My butt and thighs have not changed. I find that I have to wear a belt all the time. It’s like I’m one size around the waist and a larger size in the hips and thighs.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,160
    edited September 2019
    Options

I am so confused. I had DIEP reconstruction of my left breast in January. I hate my body more now than ever!

I have what someone appropriately called their “muffin top!” Nothing stays up at what is supposed to be my waist, my clothes all fall down putting pressure pressure on my pelvic scar area.

I feel totally ignorant about phase surgeries. I’m scheduled next April for a PS consult for a lift in my right breast. I work in a school so any elective surgery needs to be done in the summer. I’m unsure if I will have it done due to risk from yet another surgery. Right now I have a round small fake boob and a large drooping real breast. Definitely not a look I ever wanted! I know the lift would make that look better.

I know all about wounds from previous radiation. It took seven months for mine to stop bleeding and oozing.

I know nothing of surgery to contour the hips (I have huge bulges on either side of my hips!)

How did you all find out about all the phase surgeries? I think my surgeon assumes I know all my options and after reading many of the posts here, I feel absolutely clueless! I think that is because so much of my thoughts and energy after surgery went into trying to heal my breast wounds. Now that they healed I am in a “how can I get my bod to look better” frame of mind.

How many surgeries are normally needed to get an acceptable appearance?

• HopeWins
    edited August 2019
    Options

I'm so sorry Mavericksmom. I'm not sure who you're seeing next April but I would encourage you to see someone experienced with DIEP surgeries and talk to them about ALL the issues associated with your first surgery. Revision surgeries are more common than not.

I see you're in PA. Not sure where but I think there are some good DIEP PS in Philly, definitely in NY/NJ (Allen I think). Not sure about Pburgh. If you're close to Baltimore u might want to check out Dr Chang at Mercy. I'm scheduled with him on the 22nd and I'd be happy to share my experience with you if you want to PM.

• toni333
    toni333 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thanks Run for sharing. I'm glad you're 2nd phase was easier.

I think the thought of a phase 2 can be daunting after going through everything we've gone through with the first phase and chemo. I'm thinking of not going crazy with all the phase 2 suggestions and doing what feels right for me mentally and physically. Surgery is in a few weeks.

Mavericksmom,

I understand the frustration. I was very impressed with Nola's facility and their team that I'm flying down there for my 2nd surgery. Give your breast a little more time to settle down. I felt like it took a long time for my body to feel a little more like me again. My tummy too and it's scar. Be patient with yourself. You went through a heck of a time. I'm going to tell my Dr that this phase 2 I want to be last. I'm afraid of a snowball effect We'll see.

• Jenkins00
    Jenkins00 Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hello! I’m also three weeks out from DIEP/oophorectomy surgery. When I first saw my breasts I wasn’t happy. Where my nipples are supposed to be the skin used was stretch mark skin from my tummy. I thought they would be more perky. I have the roll on my left breast from my mastecomy My stomach well I need to to wait as it’s pretty swollen on the right side. Ovary was removed the old fashioned way. I still have one drain.

What surprised me was when I had my follow up with PS he mentioned more surgery? Tighten the nipple area and maybe he can fix the left breast but has to be careful because of my mastectomy scar.

I think at this point I’m done with surgery and going to look at tattoos to cover my scars.

• Lolis
    Lolis Member Posts: 294
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi Jenkins,

Yes, a second and third surgery after the first one is needed to correct any imperfections. Give yourself time to heal and see how you feel about the next steps.

I am sorry if this question has been answered before. I am almost 13 weeks out and I am feeling like a fluttering and like water is whooshing inside my left breast. I don't feel this on my right side. This doesn't feel like the nerve zapping and before I call my PS I wanted to know if others have felt the same thing and if it normal. I should mentioned that lately I have been massaging the breasts more consistently lately.

Thank you.

Lolis

• Adhoney
    Adhoney Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi all,

I haven't posted on this thread yet, but I've been reading all the posts recently.

I had a right mastectomy w/DIEP reconstruction on July 25. So far I've been pleased with my results. I've been working on range of motion exercises for my right shoulder and scar massage on my abdomen. I'm feeling pretty well overall, but I do tired easily still. Just began Kadcyla so that may be playing into the fatigue. Ugh!

I see my PS this Tuesday for another follow-up appt.

Praying that everyone is healing well out there.

Angie

• cwins1218
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi Lolis,

I had double MX and I have the fluttering sometimes in the breast that didnt have the cancer(left), which coincidentally is the breast I have the most issue with post surgery. My PS told me that because I had both done, I increased my chances of having post MX pain. And from other friends that I know who had only one breast reconstructed, they dont have the same issues??

My PS told me that massage helps and most of the time it does. Sometimes nothing helps especially around my underarm. I'm only 11 weeks out. My thought is that because the blood vessels are attached, the breast is "alive". But I am no doctor. My right breast that had the cancer is never a problem and for the most part I would forget that I had anything done.

Hope this helps,

Crystal

• cwins1218
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi Mavericksmom,

I totally feel your pain and I am sorry you feel this way. My body is also very different and I'm having a hard time trying to adjust to my clothes not fitting over my swollen bloated tummy. For some reason, my scar feels like its basically pushing my fat upwards? I am trying to reserve my feelings until after the second phase hoping things get better? I am hoping it will for you as well.

I just keep thinking that I'm not alone, I did all of this to be healthy and to get rid of my BC. That eventually this experience will be further behind me. My PS told me that at the end of the day he wants to make me smile. So I've been asking a lot of questions about what my body will look like in the end. I dont care about all the scars and I'm not sure about the tattoo nipples...but I would like to have this bloated tummy gone cause it is super uncomfortable.

We are a sisterhood that we never asked for but really need. I'm glad this forum is here to share honestly.

• HopeWins
    edited August 2019
    Options

well I'm home. Surgery went really well according to surgeons. All the nurses said everything looks great. I must have fun house mirrors because I feel like I look totally deformed. Surgery was Thursday. Came home Saturday. My breasts have a big crease from the nipple that radiates under the arm. It creates a big fold/divot. I can't stop crying. I really liked my old breasts. I'm so sad.

• Adhoney
    edited August 2019
    Options

HopeWins:

There's a LOT of swelling after surgery & it takes a few weeks for that to improve. Your body has been through a major surgery & it'll take some time for things to settle in. Praying that you'll have a steady recovery. Hang in there, you CAN do this. 💗

Angie

• HopeWins
    edited August 2019
    Options

thanks Adhoney. I'm trying to stay optimistic and looking forward to the next milestone - drain removal! It would probably help if I could poop too, lol.

• Adhoney
    edited August 2019
    Options

HopeWins:

I know the feeling about being able to poop....SmoothMove hot tea works wonderfully! And it doesn't taste bad either. It's in Walmart & grocery stores in the tea aisle.

Drain removal had me nervous, but it really wasn't bad at all, just more of a pressure sensation. Just remember to breathe through it, don't hold your breath!

Sending you love & hugs!!!

• cwins1218
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi Hopewins,

I think everyone has been where you are, sad, angry, confused. I found a new scar that I didn't realize I had before and I'm 10 or so more weeks post op. It's so normal! Especially when you first get home. I can say..it gets easier and you do end up feeling better about your body. Also talk to your PS. Let him/her know how your feeling. It's ok to.talk cosmetics...They know that that you didnt pick this for yourself and so whatever they can do to make you feel more like yourself--Im sure they will try. New Normal

Crystal

• AliceKo
    AliceKo Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2019
    Options

cwins, could you be developing lymphedema in your abdominal area?. You know PS is not concerned about that. But you should be. If so, lymph drainage massage can help. A qualified PT or OT and a massage therapist can do it.

My DIeP came with its own surprises, but not what you are describing. Already went to a lymph drainage massage therapist and she said no lymphedema in the abdominal area.

• AliceKo
    AliceKo Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2019
    Options

Curious, if any exercises have helped ladies who are far enough in this process. I got some basic chair exercises, that's too basic for me. It's been 6 weeks post op, said I could reactivate my gym membership and do whatever I want activity wise. really?

• HopeWins
    edited August 2019
    Options

I cant wait to be able to exercise!!! So jealous. I'm asking for personal training sessions for Christmas!

Alice_Ko I think there's a whole forum on exercises. If you search diep within that forum I bet there are threads on how to ease back into ab, back, etc. I'm definitely going to be ginger about anything involving my shoulder/lat area and of course abs