Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 DIEP Surgery

Options

Comments

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited February 2018
    Options

Sorry KimE, that really stinks. What a let down after all that work. Is there anywhere else near you that you’d be comfortable with?

Welcome Georgiaredskin, we’re in the same boat with multiple surgeries and infections so yes, I definetly understand. And how wonderful that everything looks great, that’s awesome:) Thanks for joining us!

• suburbs
    suburbs Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2018
    Options

bella2013, you go! Great news. You may get a blood transfusion. I needed two. It was a bit scary but it worked. I had the same issue with oxygen. It took a while to be weened off. The spirometer will become your friend. Move as much as possible. You will be glad you did. Speedy recovery

• KimE
    KimE Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2018
    Options

Congratulations bella2013!!!

TWillis, I have Kaiser insurance so I have to use their PS. They handed me off to another surgeon and hopefully he will agree that DIEP is the way to go or I’ll have to find another surgeon. I should have had the surgery last November but I didn’t want to leave my job hanging anain as I had just returned from being off for four months with my BMX and chemo, plus I wanted my body to heal. May was my target since I work at a university and summer is slow.

This has been a hard month for me, I lost my mother on the 9th.

• TWills
    edited February 2018
    Options

Oh KimE, I’m so sorry. This is a lot to deal with all at once, do you have a good support system?

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    edited February 2018
    Options

I am home now. Can't believe I have this surgery behind me. I look forward to focusing on healing. First night home I really pray I get to sleep. I haven't had any deep sleep since my surgery on Thursday

• Teaberry11
    Teaberry11 Member Posts: 66
    edited February 2018
    Options

So good to hear from you Bella! Surprised you are home already— they sure don’t waste time! Wishing you a smooth recovery and lots of Home support! ❤️

• bella2013
    edited February 2018
    Options

Teaberry11, I am surprised I am home too. I would have been okay staying another day or so. I can tell my DH is greatly relieved to have me home. He is taking very good care of me. I feel more motivated to get up and move around than being in the hospital.

The last fourteen weeks has been such a roller coaster ride of highs and lows, of decisions I never imagined I would have to make. I am grateful for the DIEP Flap procedure. It was the right decision for me and I do not regret it. Although I do feel like I fell off of a 10 story building and landed on my chest and abdomen😊. Each day is getting a little better

I did sleep really well last night.

• TWills
    edited February 2018
    Options

So glad you’re doing well Bella2013!

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi MommaGin,

Glad you are home and doing well! Actually, my PS said I am a good candidate for DIEP, but I may not have enough tissue to match my D-DD other breast, so may wind up smaller. I will ask about stacked DIEP, but my interpretation of his plan is that he will use as much of my tissue as is feasible (I’m a uni). He’s one of the pioneers of DIEP, so I’m sure that he knows about it, but I have not heard him specifically use the term “stacked.”

So good to hear everyone’s recovery reports! Bella, Georgia......

And sorry about your setback, Kim, hope there’s a favorable resolution soon.

Can we talk recliners? What do people have, what features are the most useful, rent vs buy, lift/no lift, less necessary for uni than for bi? I’m looking into it to have one ready for June! I was on total bedrest for three months when pregnant, so think I can do whatever it takes (within my power) to keep incisions closed (my major source of anxiety re: this procedure)!

Thanks!

• lifewins
    lifewins Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2018
    Options

delayed update, I did write to the Dr's office, my operative term was very warm so they responded that it is likely ok and to monitor. That day it was approaching towards hot, but the day later and today it is just mildly warm. I have a Dr's appointment this Tues so will ask more questions then.

I think I am going to ask if it is ok to use aloe vera and vitamin e on the stomach scars yet...Or just the general stomach skin. I am still very very tight and can stand up straight sometimes, but it is rare still. I do not want to push the scar area or the skin too much, but will ask for ideas to proceed. I would love to hear what others have done to help their tummy skin heal. I will also ask about some of these belly bulges, esp under my right rib which protrude and sometimes hurt. It may just be intestinal stuff.

Bella2013, I am so glad for your good outcome, get lots of rest and continue to drink lots of water, even though you will have to get up more often to go to the loo, I think it does help. And those lung exercises, keep those going. I can't imagine how difficult it is to move around with two Diep mastectomies.. I did time the nerve, pain and muscle relaxer meds for the time I was going to sleep as it helped a lot to sink deeply into sleep. And lots of naps too.

hello leatherette, I did purchase a POWER recliner on sale at Macy's. I had briefly looked at rental but the few sites I looked at made me think it was a racket, but maybe you will have better luck. I capitalized 'power' as a manual will be too much of a strain. We opted for a recliner with a smaller footprint over optimal comfort and I supplemented with cushions in all the right places. I slept in this recliner and lived in it every day. I only have been sleeping in bed a couple of times through the night so far just this past week. It was SO worth the money, they can definitely range in price from $250 for some amazon power recliners I saw to over 1k and up.. There are choices in the middle ground. My Diep mastectomy was on my left breast so it let my right arm access the power button. Most of the power buttons are either on the right side OR some have a device connected with a cord which can be used with either hand... I think the lazyboy variety of power recliners had the device from what I can recall. There is some diversity in how many areas can be adjusted as well. Mine is very simple, just two buttons, one extends the whole chair out and the other brings it back in. Mine was also not too loud and it didn't move too fast. Some I tried are a little too fast. Some allow separate controls for neck area, lumbar, legs etc.. Some rock like a rocking chair or swivel or are stationary. I opted for stationary to limit stumbling.

I had a table to my right for all the things I could reach for while sitting and a blanket I could reach for in a big basket on my left. I used an additional pillow towards the back for comfort and to shorten the distance when I sat and got up from the chair as I wanted to limit wriggling in and out of the chair. I did not get a power lift, but tested one at a store, it felt like it could be a potential hazard for me personally, but it likely helps others out there. Suffice to say I am so very happy I read about some folks using power recliners on this site. I know a lot of people have gotten by fine without them, but for me it was very beneficial.

• bella2013
    edited February 2018
    Options

Lifewins, how long did you keep your drains

• georgiaredskin
    georgiaredskin Member Posts: 95
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thank you TWills and Leatherette!

Leatherette I used a manual recliner we had in our rec room. I only stayed in it a week because due to the pain in my stomach it was even harder to get out of than the bed and I certainly couldn’t do it myself. So I had my husband buy 4 king size $5 pillows from Target (best decision!)to help prop me up in bed and for under my legs. It worked a lot better after the diep.

• Casun19
    Casun19 Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2018
    Options

hello, I had my surgery Monday 2/19 and was discharged Friday. They were ready to let me out Thursday but I was not comfortable leaving since I still was having problems walking, getting out of bed, etc... I had a few hardships which have made this much more difficult than expected. I developed an allergic reaction to the antibiotic they gave me in the hospital (and sent me home with). no one identified as an allergy until today..... So I am covered with an itchy rash. Part of my abdominal incision developed blisters which now opened. The doctor said it was from the skin being pulled too tight or stressed when laying down.

Anyway! sorry not to be a ray of sunshine after surgery but I am in more pain than expected. I agree with everyone else about investing in pillows, or a recliner. We have an adjustable bed and my husband still has to help me in and out of bed. But I know by next week I will be able to do it by myself.

I have a follow up appointment on Thursday and am looking forward to seeing what the team has to say.

• TWills
    edited February 2018
    Options

Casun19, sorry you’re in such discomfort, that sounds awful! As if the surgery wasn’t enough but to have a reaction to the meds really stinks. I hope you’ll get some relief soon:)

• lifewins
    lifewins Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2018
    Options

hello Bella2013,

My Diep Flap mastectomy on left breast was Feb 5th

- Feb 15th - right hip drain taken out

- Feb 19th - left hip and left breast drain taken out --- the fluid flow slowed dramatically the on Feb 16th

My husband took good records. I asked and was told the reason they want to get the amount of fluid under 30ml is that your body can handle the absorption of fluids under 30ml, but over that it could cause issues or strain.

• BLynnB
    BLynnB Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi ~ this is my first time on this thread! Am wondering if I'm making the right choice to go to PRMA vs. NOLA. It looks like PMRA says I'm a candidate for the DIEP, and will be getting scheduled... hopefully asap and will know shortly. Had finished with chemo November 1, and should have gotten radiation, but the docs said not necessary with a mastectomy... so am anxious to get this under way. Chose Dr. Ochoa from viewing testimonials, etc. From what I've read it looks like NOLA has a lovely center dedicated to breast reconstruction/surgery, even down to healthy food, etc. wow! Other than that, I am under the impression either place will do a great job?

Was diagnosed last June, had chemo, lumpectomy, and now have a left mastectomy and reconstruction with implant scheduled for March 6 near home here, BUT found the information on the DIEP via PRMA through Google searches only very recently, and am going this route instead... It's almost like starting over with doctors and doing a 180, but they have made it so easy & seamless so far. I kept being told I was not a candidate due to being so thin... by people who don't do DIEP (makes me a little angry). So will be cancelling my mastectomy/implant here in AZ, and traveling to PRMA in San Antonia, TX instead for the mastectomy/DIEP! Am curious about how the hospital, the PRMA offices and my lodgings will work, and how often they see me for the 2 weeks I'll be there. I'll be getting a couple of friends and my son to be with me (widow here, so no hubby) for 4-5 days at a time instead of one person for the whole 2 weeks. Have my head exploding with questions on all the logistics, but am sure I should be concentrating on getting through this and to the other side of surgery where things will be healing. This is hopefully my last stop as far as treatment - it was either radiation or mastectomy, and have chosen mastectomy due to the many calcifications in my left breast. All of your questions, answers, experiences and concerns have been extremely helpful, thank you so much! Any further words of wisdom for 'where I'm at' right now are greatly appreciated!!!

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2018
    Options

Ouch, Casun! I’m allergic to a few antibiotics, and the reaction was bad enough without recovery from major surgery. I hope your reaction clears up soon.

Thanks for your thoughts on recliners and pillows, Lifewins and Georgiared.

• bc6912
    bc6912 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2018
    Options

BLynnB: The hospital staff, nurses and surgeons are all fantastic at PRMA! You will be in great hands! Have you reached out to their patient liaison to discuss travel and accommodations? She can help coordinate all of that for you! During your 2-week stay after surgery you will go into the office for a follow up 2 times. Remember you will be in the hospital for about 3 days after surgery during your two week stay too. They will follow up with you daily in the hospital.

• enelson901
    enelson901 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi I'm Elizabeth from San Antonio and I had bilateral mastectomies with implant reconstruction at PRMA 6 years ago with Dr. Nastala. I'm responding because I had all of the same questions/concerns you have and I hope I can help. I wanted DIEP reconstruction but Dr. Nastala didn't think I was a good candidate since I was also too thin. I'm very happy with my reconstruction 6 years later. I have confidence in PRMA....I had searched for the right Dr. and when I found Dr. Nastala I knew it was the right fit. You are doing the right thing having family and friends come be with you, although we Pink ladies are here to welcome you and support you if you need us! There are many hotels near PRMA that are very nice and comfortable. Everything is convenient including shops and restaurants too. If you can rent a recliner that will be a great plus! I don't remember how often I saw Dr. Nastala in the first two weeks (thanks to the drugs lol!)but I do know that you can speak with the nurses anytime and you can also come in anytime you feel the need. The support after your surgery is great. You just need to reach out. When I had my surgery, PRMA had their own wing at the hospital and the nurses were experienced with the surgeries that PRMA does. Remember people come from all over the world to have surgery at PRMA. You're in good hands. Best wishes!

• rbpv
    rbpv Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi All, I'm scheduled to have next week a mastectomy of my left breast. I wasn't recommended the immediate reconstruction due to the high risk of needing radiation to my chest wall. I'm still not 100% sure if opting for having the silicone implant after the radiation is the right decision, since my plastic surgeon is completely in favor of the immediate reconstruction but not the radiation oncologist or my surgeon oncologist. Wondering if any of you who went through immediate reconstruction with silicone implant and radiation after had any problems on the quality of your radiation treatment and, of course, if that impacted the overall success of your cancer treatment. Also interested in hearing from who opted for having radiation first then the silicone after how did it go? Thanks in advance!

• LizaLee
    LizaLee Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi, just wanted to encourage you that based on my own experience, PRMA does a great job and you would be in good hands if you go that route! I had dmx+diep this past year and came to PRMA from out of state also (twice--once for phase one and again for phase 2, 6 months later). Logistics were smooth and everyone was helpful and pleasant to deal with. Am healing nicely and getting on with life now, thankfully. Best wishes!

• DiepGal
    DiepGal Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hello Lynn,

I do hope you will reach out to me. I had my DIEP flap breast reconstruction at PRMA with Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo, and I, too, am from AZ!! What a coincidence. I also did a combination of having folks help me the two weeks I was there. I can tell you the skill of the microsurgeons there and the facility at the hospital they use is all top notch. I was 58 at the time of my breast reconstruction. I had delayed reconstruction. My double mastectomy was in AZ in May of 2014 and I had my reconstruction at PRMA in December of 2014. In addition to that, this was my 2nd diagnosis. The first diagnosis, I had radiation in 2002 and the surgeon I had at PRMA did a magnificent job of removing the scar tissue from 2002 and building beautiful new breasts for me. I can tell you all about planning for travel, your stay there, what to expect, who to reach out to, etc. Please feel free to email me to ask more questions. Who knows, maybe we're neighbors! My personal email is tgcoutee@gmail.com. I would love to help you out and answer any questions since you, too, are thinking of PRMA via AZ. All the best.

Terri Coutee

• Klangston3
    Klangston3 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Options

We have each had a little different order to our recoveries and are fortunate there are amazing choices for us. I live in Oklahoma and went to PRMA in San Antonio. After a year without anything waiting for my body to recover from bilateral, radiation and implant rejection/infection. Dr. Arishita and his nurse Heather changed my life and exceeded any and all my expectations. So personal it is hard to believe how many surgeries they do a year.

Recover was much easier than I had expected make sure to follow all the recommendations like protein drinks. I couldn’t believe I was able to walk the day after. They definitely have a system that works well.

I am currently 1.5 years out and my scars are almost gone. Jade roller and foam roller to break up scar tissue under skin and vitamin E oil.

Lots of PRMA advocates (patients) for support online in blogs and FB closed groups.

Best of luck (I didn’t consider that weight gain in future would go to my chest first and leave my chest last belly fat is the best)

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,028
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thank you for sharing your experience, Klangston3! We're so happy to hear you're doing well, we wish you the best!

The Mods

• Kellielenker
    Kellielenker Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Options

hi there! I went to PRMA for my DIEP procedure after a failed reconstruction in Kansas. I would be happy to help answer some questions about my experience. Where we stayed, etc.

• BLynnB
    BLynnB Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thank you so much everyone for your replies!!! This is wonderful information and you all are an amazing resource, you're awesome! I'll be getting back on here with more questions & would love to be in touch with those who have offered. Have been overwhelmed & stressed out over this the last couple of days (and worried about getting a date set up soon). Am so fortunate, and glad I found you all!!!!

• Lilo
    Lilo Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi lovely ladies.

I’ve been reading the posts and have gotten thru page 3. I thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. I had a bmx with expanders in December 2016 and the exchange in July 2017. In August 2017 I developed lymphedema in my cancer side arm. I am seeing a PS at USC who specializes in microsurgery. He is going to do a lymphnode transplant to hopefully fix the lymphedema. He is also going to remove my implants and perform a Deip. I have to be honest and say I HATE these implants! I didn’t know about Deip before my bmx. I have been trying to hold off until June to do the procedure but it is causing me stress to wait so long. Ive been loosing weight because of my lifestyle changes since being diagnosed and I’m really worried tha if I wait too long I won’t have enough fat. I know sounds like a silly problem,lol.

Well, back to reading about everyone. I will keep you all posted as to when surgery will be.

God Bless

Lisa

• mvwaterskigirl
    mvwaterskigirl Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hi Gals...hoping someone can help re: Dr Marga Massey's office. I have tried for 2 weeks to get in touch with someone: called their 866 number and every time it goes to AImee's vm. She has not called me back. I have reached out via their "contact" icon on their website and CRICKETS! I have even emailed Dr Massey on FB messenger! NOTHING! any tips on how to get in touch with ANYone? I need to explant my silicone implants and get a consult for an SGAP. Many thanks Ladies!!

Lisa

• MommaGin
    MommaGin Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2018
    Options

BLynnB, it sounds like you would be in excellent hands with either choice. I live in Houston and went with a doctor my research revealed to me was on par with NOLA. However, I did do a 45 to 60 minute phone consult with the head RN at NOLA who has been there 15+ years. Plus, i sent puctures and was given the oppurtunity to email specific questions for Dr. Dellacose to answer. From what i understand. Your phase 1 stay at NOLA is only 8 days, so that may be a tad easier for you logistically. I have 3 young children ages 4 to 11 that i could not pull out of school for a week, and they were already so distraught at me bering gone for 2 days for my Mx that i couldnt bear the thought of leaving them for extended days at NOLA.

If Houston is easier for you, PM me, and I can talk to you sbout the ace surgeon we have here, who has his own private surgical facility.

Best to you.

MommaGin

• MommaGin
    MommaGin Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2018
    Options

BLynnB, it sounds like you would be in excellent hands with either choice. I live in Houston and went with a doctor my research revealed to me was on par with NOLA. However, I did do a 45 to 60 minute phone consult with the head RN at NOLA who has been there 15+ years. Plus, i sent puctures and was given the oppurtunity to email specific questions for Dr. Dellacose to answer. From what i understand. Your phase 1 stay at NOLA is only 8 days, so that may be a tad easier for you logistically. I have 3 young children ages 4 to 11 that i could not pull out of school for a week, and they were already so distraught at me bering gone for 2 days for my Mx that i couldnt bear the thought of leaving them for extended days at NOLA.

If Houston is easier for you, PM me, and I can talk to you sbout the ace surgeon we have here, who has his own private surgical facility.

Btw, I too was told by two PSs that I did not have enough tissue in my abs for the DIEP, unless I wanted to go down considerably in size compared to my other breast (I'm a uni and my right breast is a C/D). However, the really experienced DIEP surgeons just said I could do a "stacked DIEP," which is basically where they stack two sides of your ab tissue on top of each other to build one full size breast. I'm only 2 weeks out from my procedure, but I'm very happy with the results. Ask about a stacked DIEP option if a PS is telling you you're too skinny, but this only works if you're a uni.

Best to you.

MommaGin