Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Athletics,exercise and rehab after Masctectomy

Options
2»

Comments

• jvanstok
    jvanstok Member Posts: 1
    Options

I'm 33 years old, 5'1", 125 lbs and used to wear a 32C sized bra. I had triple negative breast cancer in my right breast and 1 right lymph node in my armpit. I did 8 sessions of chemo from December 2019 to March 2020 (A/C and then taxol), a double mastectomy in April with 3 lymph nodes removed on my right side and a tissue expander put into my left side, then did 25 treatments radiation over June and July.

I've been climbing for about 2 years now, around a V2/3 level bouldering 5.11 top roping and haven't had any issues returning to climbing after my double mastectomy or radiation, I've gotten back to the level and above of what I was before all of this began.

I did start slow with walking, and the physio movements at home before getting into beginner climbs. Worked on that until now I just feel a bit of strain through my armpit and side when I need to reach straight over my head, but it hasn't really stopped me in anyway. I also do a bit of yoga and weight lifting which has helped with range of motion and strength.

Next steps is to decide what type of reconstruction I want to do. My plastic surgeon is suggesting using my latissimus dorsi muscle for reconstruction, but have heard that is specifically might affect climbing and water paddling activities. So I'm just doing research to see if I can find anyone who has undergone that surgery and still climbs.

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    Options

I'm glad I found this section!

Are there any other fitness/dance/movement/yoga/pilates etc teachers out there? How long before you could go back to work?

I'm gearing up for a Mastectomy after having been on meds since March (no details yet). My first worry is how long until I can do some easy weight bearing excersises? I have back and lower extremity problems some from scoliosis, and a lot of "wear and tear" from being an old dancer As long as I do most of my PT, I'm functional. If I skip more than 3 days, I cant walk. Simple, cat/cow type things, pelvis stabilization excersises and ones on my back where I use my hands to move my legs. Also my old knees and bad hip cannot get up off the floor without heavy use of my arms.

The other huge concern is work. I teach dance and movement to primarily young children. Its not standing up at the barre, I am down in the floor with them much of the time. I definitely use my hands to get up and down now.

When I originally spoke with Surgeon back in March before my treatment plan changed, she seemed very optimistic that I could get back to work in 3 weeks or so. Her NP was a little more conservative and suggested I take a month off. Reading all this, even a full month seems too short. I will say I was back to teaching within 2 weeks of the births of my first 2 kids (3 was a summer baby so I took the whole summer term off) but I am a little (like more than 20 years, how can that be)older now.

How long do I need to tell people i'll be out? And what do I tell them when they ask why?

• dancemom
    Options

@gracem1 I have so many similar questions. I am wondering how it affected your work? Thank you for any insights.

• saltmarsh
    saltmarsh Member Posts: 192
    Options

@Dancemom, I got you. I, too, am a dance teacher. I'm not teaching right now, but I think I can at least tell you how my experience has gone. I think a lot depends on if you are going to be having reconstruction. I stopped teaching before my first surgery, had my reconstruction last month, and have not gone back yet. Like you, I depend on regular PT exercises to keep me from injury.

If you are not going to reconstruct, I'll tell you what my surgeons told me, which was: If all goes well, you can resume normal activity in 6-8 weeks. Now, I thought that was a bit extreme as I recovered relatively well/quickly compared to some. But. Especially if you are teaching littles...crawling and leaning forward were still painful at six weeks, and I can see why she doesn't recommend "high impact" moves like jumps until even later, although I was skipping and doing small jumps at 6 wks.

The other thing I'll say is that pre-hab is a real thing and I think it has helped me immensely. I was working with a PT anyway, and when we found out I had breast cancer, she shifted the focus to getting me ready for surgery.

The last thing is energy. You may have a completely different experience, but my energy has been sapped and although I could have taught after a month, I could not have taught 3+ classes back-to-back like I did before. I have needed daily naps.

When it comes to talking with your boss, depending on what kind of job security you have, I'd be inclined to say that if all goes well, you should be back in six weeks. And if you teach in the kind of place/at the kind of time where it's possible, I definitely recommend seeing if you can have a student helper or intern to demonstrate the high-impact stuff, or model the crawling around in the very beginning -- until you are sure you feel right as rain. With your older students, lean on them to follow your instructions and demonstrate steps.

I'll be pulling for you!

• dancemom
    Options

@saltmarsh I like the idea of pre-hab. I am not sure how to ask for that, I don't get to see a PT without a prescription.

6-8 weeks!!! Where was my onc getting the 3 weeks? I plan on reconstruction and am so confused by the timeline. Did you take time off twice, or are still off since April?

Energy will be interesting. Coming back after a year and half of zooming classes from my living room was already hard. Also, the meds started in there too somewhere. Intern is a great idea! I'll look into finding a high schooler who needs community service.

THANKS!

Wishing you quick healing!

• saltmarsh
    saltmarsh Member Posts: 192
    Options

I have no idea where your oncologist came up with three weeks, except I'm imagining she must have thought you have a "normal" job, like a desk job where you're not that active??? Or she just really has no concept of what happens in a dance class and/or teaching littles? I was lucky to not have any complications in surgery or post-op and to get my drains out as early as I did, and all my providers were amazed at how quickly I recovered, and I definitely could not have been teaching preschoolers at 3 weeks out. Mayyyybe at 4 weeks, if I had someone else to demonstrate jumps.

And yes, after the reconstruction -- depends on what type you have. I did a pre-pectoral silicone implant and the recovery was much easier than with the mastectomy! That said, I'm 7 weeks out and jumping has only really just begun to feel safe in the last week. Lying on my stomach is still not ideal, and wriggling like a worm or snake is right out!

If you need a scrip for PT, then prehab may or may not be an option, but I do encourage you to push your oncologists/surgeons to at least prescribe post-op PT, emphasizing that your needs for range of motion and strength in order to get back to work are much greater than someone with a desk job. If you explain that you crawl, and roll, and wriggle, for a living, maybe they will get it. (Where's that laughing until you're crying emoji when you need it?)

• dancemom
    Options

I am laughing so hard that you know EXACTLY what my job entails!!! I was rolling like a pumpkin, flying like a witch, and everything in between 3 classes a day this week!! (ONE good only for me thing about covid restrictions means that enrollment is way down, so I have fewer classes than normal)

I will mention that aspect of my work!

• dancemom
    Options

update. 10 days after surgery I was doing a little computer work at home. 4 weeks after I was teaching a tiny bit. 6 weeks out and I can carefully teach my full load. Got PT and she is really helping my range of motion. Also, wow did my arm get weak in 5 weeks!!!! Loads of light reps for specific muscle groups.

Biggest struggle has been laundry and changing sheets. My oldest came over on weekends to help the first 3 weeks. I can now drag the stuff to the laundry room myself, and doing the regular beds is possible, but BUNK BED! That was hard on the best days! DH helped me deal with those yesterday.