Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemotherapy March 2018

Options

Comments

• YangSainst
    YangSainst Member Posts: 69
    Options

Thank you Beck,Hapa and Becca 953 for your insight.. I'm just very confused and trying to think about the 2 remaining chemo just yesterday I'm having acid reflux again then stomach discomfort then felt nauseated and throw up, then today again feels something blocking in my throat and something on my chest

• YangSainst
    Options

wildcolonialgirl,

How you doing?,I just want to ask how many chemo cycle did you have?, and after finishing it how quick did you have to go for rads..

Thank you.

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Wildcolonialgirl Member Posts: 119
    Options

Hi Yang, 

I had 4 cycles of chemo - 3 weeks apart.  I finished on May 3rd and started radiation on June 18th, but would have started a week earlier if I didn't have surgery on June 4th.  So the time should have been 4 weeks, and in my case it was 6 weeks.

• YangSainst
    Options

Wildcolonialgirl,

How old are you? So you're chemo is TC?

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Options

Hi Yang - I am 55, and yes, I did 4 cycles of TC.  

• YangSainst
    Options

wildcolonialgirl,

Thank you,just wondering why all of you had TC is it because of age?,

• lg10
    lg10 Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hi! To everyone who is done with chemo, congrats! I will join you tomorrow. I am so excited. Curious if any of you experienced a lot of bloating? If so, how long after you finished did it take for that to subside? I know it's partly my fault because my diet has been horrible the past 4 months. I have gained 12 pounds, but I feel like it's mostly around my waist area! I've already started eating healthier and exercising this week, but I need all of my pants to button again!

• Bec-Ky
    Bec-Ky Member Posts: 195
    Options

Ig10....

You're singing my song. I gained just over 15# and my diet has been horrible too. I am 8 weeks pfc.. And I still feel a little "puffy". It isn't bad but I do feel like I have at least 5# of extra water weight that doesn't budge.

I don't exercise and I'm not very diligent since finishing chemo, on drinking tons of water like I used to...

If I made changes, it would all get better. I'm sure if you're exercising and eating better you'll be good 😊 keep us posted on any results you have!!

Yang - I don't know why they choose AC over TC... But in my case my onc did tell me that since I didn't have any nodes involved he didn't think it was necessary to use such a strong chemo. I think he even wrote that down in his notes to me as he was explaining the differences in chemos. And because you had a node involved that is probably why.

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    Options

Yang - I read somewhere that AC is more effective than TC, but it also has more serious side effects. So it is probably a combination of your tumor size, node involvement, grade, and your young age. They are being aggressive in treating you.

Edit: Ig - I estimate I'm carrying about 10# of fluid right now, but I don't really know for sure. My legs are all swollen, I wear compression hose some days it gets so bad. This is an SE of taxotere. My weight would swing by 8-12# every round. My NP said I was doing all the right things to combat it, but I'd just have to wait it out to some extent. I'm drinking a lot of water to try to flush any extra sodium in the hopes of getting the swelling down. The prevailing advice on the internet is to not overexert yourself working out as that just drags it out. So I am sticking to low resistance elliptical in the gym and no weight training for now. It feels terrible and I hope it goes away soon.

• lg10
    Options

bec-ky--glad I'm not the only one! I don't think I ever posted earlier in this journey, but I have followed along. Your posts about food always made me laugh because I could relate. I had never stepped foot in a Taco Bell before chemo and now I think I've been 10 times. I went from mostly vegan to fast food junkie. Trying to give myself a little grace, but now that I'm almost done and my pants don't fit (mixed in with no eyebrows and very little hair)--i'm feeling pretty self-conscious. I will keep you posted on how things go.

hapa--so sorry about the fluid. Sounds like you are doing all of the right things though. I'm going to ease back into exercise as well. I think I will have to with this tissue expander and my fears of lymphedema!

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Options

Hi ladies!  Yang, I was offered 2 regimens, one ACT and one TC.  Because of a family history of heart disease (my dad died from it), and my own hypertension/heart murmur, I chose the TC which is a little easier on the heart side.  It's not quite as aggressive as the TC, but since I had a mastectomy, and also a plan for radiation and now tamoxifen, my MO said she had no concerns about either choice.  TC brings its own different side effects, but for me it was a personal choice.  

• Bec-Ky
    Options

My mri of the liver Was all good!! But they saw some fluid on my spine which doc was not concerned with... But the neuro doc wants a follow up sometime of a thoracic spine MRI...

He called it possibly hydromyelia...

My doc thinks it is just an incidental finding and is most likely nothing but they have to follow up because if it did end up progressing they'd have a baseline.

Overall it's really just Good news....

❤️

Hope everyone is doing well! And if I haven't connected with some of you on fb I'd love to! I'm "Bec ky" on fb... 😂

• Steph74
    Steph74 Member Posts: 70
    Options

Yay Becky! Awesome news! Sounds like you have a really thorough team too. Now you can really enjoy your weekend! Happy

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    Options

Excellent Becky, that is such a relief!

• jstarling
    jstarling Member Posts: 137
    Options

Hi all, I hope to finally complete my last chemo on Monday after so many assorted delays for low platelets and heart issues.Then a month to get ready for radiation which I hope to begin around Labor Day. This sure has been a long road for all o us!

• Rwns
    Rwns Member Posts: 103
    Options

Bec-ky-Awesome news...Thank You for sharing! Exhale!

• Sidalee
    Sidalee Member Posts: 113
    Options

Bec-Ky, so glad to hear that the scan results were good, what a huge relief!

Jstarling, sorry to hear it's been such a long road, hope this last round is light on SEs.

My surgery is 2 weeks from today and I'm getting nervous. We have a little 4-day mountain cabin getaway planned for next weekend before school starts and we're all really looking forward to a mini-vacay. Really glad to have something to look forward to and keep me distracted!

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Options

Yay Bec-ky!

Sidalee enjoy the holiday with your family!

Jstarling its a long road but you are closer every day!

• YangSainst
    Options

Hello ladies,

Beck - thats a great news finally its big relief.

Ladies Just want to get all your insights again i'm done on 4 cycles AC i still have 2 more but having second thoughts doing the remaining as i've heard from here that AC is a strong drug. I'm wondering if all of you here got AC and 6 cycles was it because of age ? I'm 34 ..My Mo didnt even told me about AC and TC i just those terms here all i know is shes given me AC and according to her its a low dosage because it only a early stage and shes giving me 6 because she said on studies it should be 6 and its the requirements.

• lg10
    Options

hey yang. I am 32 and received 4 dose dense AC treatments. It's possible that your 6 are a lower dosage? My MO went with ACT because of my age and we wanted to be as aggressive as we could. I'm sorry you are having trouble. It's not easy, but I finished AC in May and it's happily a distant memory already! Hang in there.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

yang, are your AC treatments every 2 weeks or 3 weeks?

• Bec-Ky
    Options

Jstarling-almost over!! ❤️

• YangSainst
    Options

Moth,

Its every 3 weeks sometimes 4 because of WBC is low.

• Downdoggie
    Downdoggie Member Posts: 51
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I'm two months since last chemo. The neuropathy is improving- mostly just toes now. My hair is growing back, but I still have baldish thin spots so still wearing hats. I'm glad I didn't buzz it, just cut down to an inch, because some hair stayed and is helping the overall look. It's very fine and straight though, the complete opposite of what it was.

My brows are growing back quickly, but the lashes are slow. I tried to put on mascara and laughed when I realized there was still nothing there for it to grab on to.

I'm two weeks out since last radiation treatment. Finally, yesterday my big wound stopped looking like hamburger meat! It's been raw, red, bumpy, painful, burning, itching, peeling. Now the under boob is having some of that but not as bad. Weird how it moves around, but at least it's moving out. I've been using creams, gels, lotions during the day, aquaphor at night.

I started Arimidex 4 days ago. So far feeling ok. I have to take it fo for 5 years, and Herceptin every three weeks til March 2019, then remove the port. I'm ready to get back to exercising and some new normal in my life! We are all gettin it done!

• YangSainst
    Options

lg10,

Here is my treatment protocol

Drugs. Dose Px's dose/BSA prep'n.

Doxo. 60mg. 900mg. 50mg. 2

Cyclo. 600mg. 600mg. 1gm. 1

Nasea. 300mcg. 300mcg. 300mcg 1

• MarlaM
    MarlaM Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi all. I wanted to stop in and say thank you for helping me get through chemo. I'm still following along and am sending positive vibes to everyone. I also wanted to let you know that I had BMX on July 10, and am recovering well. Get my drains out at 2 weeks but still nursing one of the tube holes. It's super itchy and there is still a small amount of discharge. I'm also dealing with tightness in my chest, like a big rubber band is being pulled tight, although that does finally seem to be getting better. My big news is my disappointing visit with my oncologist last week. My margins weren't clear, showing a good amount of cancer cells were left behind. So I'm now going to be starting chemo again. This time I'll be doing 4 infusions of AC. I can't even begin to explain how sad I am, but if anyone would understand, it would be all of you. I got through the first time with no lasting side effects and my hair is finally starting to grow back just as thick as it was before. Now I'll be joining the August chemo group, starting with all of the same fears that I had the first time around. I know the August group will be just as supportive as you have all been.

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Options

Marla, sorry to hear you have more chemo ahead.  Hoping it goes smoothly and sending best wishes to you.

• Bec-Ky
    Options

Marla - do they go back in to take more tissue or some of the chest wall? Or is chemo the normal treatment protocol for that?

I'm sorry to hear but you will get through this. Deep breaths!!! Please check in here too, as we all will be happy to hear how you're doing!

Be strong!

• Sidalee
    Sidalee Member Posts: 113
    Options

Marla, I'm sorry you have to go through more chemo, how incredibly frustrating :( You are in my thoughts and prayers as you push through this next phase. You can do this, you are strong enough to get through it and show this cancer that you are not letting it win. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

• Becca953
    Becca953 Member Posts: 63
    Options

Bec-Ky - Fantastic news! So happy for you. Worth celebrating.

Hope all had a great weekend!