Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemotherapy March 2018

Options

Comments

• Becca953
    Becca953 Member Posts: 63
    Options

Marla - So sorry to hear this, but long term you want to have as much reassurance as possible. Good luck! They have many meds to throw at this beast, hopefully AC will do the trick!

• mLghtn
    mLghtn Member Posts: 68
    Options

I'm done with chemo!!!SmileMy chemo ended abruptly today when I told my MO I was having increasing numbness and pain in my right hand and in my toes, and more generalized muscle and joint pain even though I had a week off. I'm on abraxane for 12 doses instead of taxol (because I didn't tolerate it ) and had completed 8, and I have a week off every 3 doses. So, it came as a shock to me since I was still thinking I had til end of August left! I thought I might get a reduced dose or something... but apparently he decided I don't tolerate taxanes well and have had enough. His reasoning was I won't tolerate all 12 and 1 or 2 more doses at this point won't make much difference in the outcome and may make a big difference in my quality of life afterwards. so appreciate him for that. I did ask the dreaded what if... there are fast growing cancer cells left at surgery time? Response I got was then I could go on Xeloda, an oral chemo that is normally for more advanced cancers---but he said its very unlikely that will happen. Any slow growing cancer left will be removed then radiation and hormone therapy. I had to wrap my head around this all morning and everything is moving very fast, they just called me and scheduled my surgery for August 30th. I am very relieved for now and hope to celebrate with a mini vacation before sx. Wishing everyone well, moving on!

• YangSainst
    YangSainst Member Posts: 69
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Nice to know most of you are all moving forward with your treatments. Tom is my ched to my MO i decided that im done at 4 AC then just do radiation and tamoxifen. Just wondering what my MO will tell hope she will still be supportive and won't yell or be mad..

• Bec-Ky
    Bec-Ky Member Posts: 195
    Options

Yang-let us know what doc says.

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Wildcolonialgirl Member Posts: 119
    Options

Happy Friday to all! Finished chemo today!😀

• jstarling
    jstarling Member Posts: 137
    Options

Marla, we are all pulling for you, please keep in touch. I had my last chemo on Monday and am still feeling low. Next week I meet with MO to discuss AI therapy and hopefully to continue Herceptin and upcoming radiation plans. In a few weeks we’ll celebrate with a little getaway with friends to a golf resort in the cool Georgia mountains. Looking forward to my first glass of wine since March.....assuming my taste returns

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,514
    Options

Wildcolonialgirl me too!! Well at least the Taxol. On to Herceptin alone and rads. Fist bump!

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Options

in my earlier excitement, said chemo, meant radiation! Finished up 6 1/2 weeks rads this morning.

Best to all, and congrats Ingerp!

• NVDobie
    NVDobie Member Posts: 122
    Options

Yang

Sorry to hear about your acid, i had it too, very bad ones. I went to ER twice for the severe chest pain.

Try almonds and almond milk. small meals, eat every few hours will help. stay away from acid trigger food: onions, garlic, tomato, berries, pineapple and on and on. Google online you will see the long list of food to avoid.

All veggies are alkaline so i was having fresh bell peppers and rice crackers all the time. It will pass eventually. It also caused gluten intolerance, which is slowing going away.

The antiacid from doc eventually stop working, i often wonder whether it made it worse. I googled and found out there is such thing called acid rebound, which is acid coming back stronger after taking anti acid. so i ended up using food to control it.

On AC vs. TC

I had TC but developed delayed allergic reaction to Taxol after 3 rounds. so MO decided to gave me Abraxane for the 4th cycle. bad neuropathy from that one. still not gone yet.

Maybe ask your MO about his decision?

• ingerp
    Options

Wildcolonialgirl so you are done done?? That’s amazing!! Was it emotional for you? I was surprised to burst into tears when I left the facility yesterday but remember something similar my last day of rads two years ago.

• Steph74
    Steph74 Member Posts: 70
    Options

Congrats Ingerp and Wildcolonialgirl!!!! 💕💕 It’s a fabulous feeling isn’t it?

Yang I hope the doctors don’t give you a hard time about being done after #4. I know you’ve had an extremely rough go of it.

I start Tamoxifen Monday. Hoping for no major side effects...

• Becca953
    Becca953 Member Posts: 63
    Options

Congrats to all on crossing the chemo and/or rads finish line!

Steph74 - Tamoxifen about made me crazy the first month, BUT between 5-6 weeks the side effects dwindled, and it is actually not bad. MO said it would take 1-2 months for the body to adapt. At first, I thought I was not going to make it!!! Hopefully, it goes smoothly for you. If not, hang tight and things should "normalize". In order to reduce the risks of blood clots, I take a baby aspirin 4-5 days per week. It also helps me with some old sports injury pain/arthritis.

Jstarling - My taste buds came back over the course of two months. It seemed to be a slow and gradual process, not sudden.

On another note, lingering neuropathy in my left hand has recently resolved. It was prevalent around until 8 weeks post Taxol/Herceptin.

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    Options

Marla - sorry your news wasn't better. Good luck on your new regimen. You'll make it through!

Yang - I'm curious what your onc's reaction will be. Also, congrats on finishing chemo!

Jstarling - I'm so happy to hear your heart issues have resolved and you can continue on herceptin!

Ingerp - congrats on finishing chemo!

Wild - so you are done done, right? No more treatment (except maybe pills)? Congrats!

I had my first herceptin only on Wednesday. Easy peasy.

ETA: Becca - that is good to hear. I still have tingling in my fingers and toes and am hoping it will go away.

• ingerp
    Options

hapa--that's good to hear about your first Herceptin only. We've all heard that it's NBD but I know some have had issues who sailed through T+H <relatively>. We're thinking it's the combination of a stronger dose and no premeds. I'm thinking I'll pop a Zofran before just to be on the safe side. So really--no SEs at all?

• Bec-Ky
    Options

For neuropathy.. My onc PA recommended fish oil and L-lysine.

Maybe try that as well.

My neuropathy has left at about 4-5 weeks post chemo but I'm still taking those 2 supplements until they are gone. I might just continue taking them, Idk. I hear lysine is good for anxiety, and many other things... so it probably doesn't hurt.

😊

• hapa
    Options

Ingerp - I had no SEs whatsoever that I noticed, but I'm also kind of oblivious tbh. I was getting my H every three weeks, so the dosage hasn't changed. My H only infusion was given over 30 minutes. I feel like i got off pretty easy overall as far as chemo SEs go.

• lg10
    lg10 Member Posts: 37
    Options

ingerp -- I had my first HP only treatment Friday and I've had no side effects so far. I was tired Friday, but I think that was lingering chemo. It felt so good to wake up Saturday with no steroid hangover!!

• ingerp
    Options

hapa, lg10--that is all very heartening. I've tolerated the T+H well so will keep my fingers crossed the H only goes smoothly for me. (Also looking forward to getting through the next few weeks and let the T finally completely get out of my body!)

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Options

Morning everyone!  Yes, I am done done now chemo and rads.  It WAS emotional, really.  My facility does the bell at end of rads, and with the nurse there, and my husband and son, I got all misty.  Honestly also I had a moment when saying goodbye to the rads team like - what? - what do I do every afternoon now?  We'd been together almost 7 weeks every day - it's kind of weird, in a way, to let it go.  Like Steph, I am starting tamoxifen - I won't start until beginning of September.  We are finally taking a family cruise starting end of next week (cancelled in February and then had rescheduled for July and had to postpone due to timing of rads), and I asked my MO if we could wait to start - really don't want to be thousands of miles away and having the SEs start.  It's a long flight so I got my compression sleeve - and hopefully that will work in case of any swelling.  I have a 10 year hormone course planned, tamoxifen and then an AI, and hope that I tolerate it all pretty well.  I also hope as our group continues to finish up and "graduate" that we can still share information on the hormonal/maintenance side of things.  

Late SE that really continues to be bothersome is my nails.  I have had a lot of separation/lifting, and have had to be extra careful in keeping everything extremely short.  Finally starting to see a larger amount of healthy growth from the cuticle area than the yellow and lifted part.  And of course I really do miss using my fingernails as tools!  

One day closer for everyone who is not finished yet!  Hugs to all!!!

• MarlaM
    MarlaM Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi all. I got some good news/bad news last week. Apparently when my oncologist told me that lots of cancer was left behind, what he meant was that it was left behind after I finished chemo, not after surgery. My surgeon went over my pathology report and explained that she was able to remove all of the cancer and my margins were clear, but my cancer seemed to be resistant to the TC, and also much more aggressive than originally thought, with a very high risk of recurrence. She also recommends that I go through with another round of chemo. She is also suggesting that I follow that with 6 months of oral chemo, but wants me to check with my oncologist to make sure that would work. So I'm not as freaked out as I was, but still pretty freaked out that there is such a high risk of recurrence. I feel like I'll be "looking over my shoulder" and running to the doctor for every twitch for the rest of my life. But I'm generally a positive person and, while this had been hard, I know I'll be OK. Thank you all for your kind words and continued support ❤

• hapa
    Options

Marla - sorry to hear that, but the upside of doing neoadjuvant chemo is that you get a second shot if it seems like it didn't work the first time around. The downside of course is that you have to do more chemo.

Sidalee - thinking of you today, I know your surgery is coming up soon. Hope your platelets are behaving!

And...I was finally able to have sex that didn't hurt! Woohoo!

• Sidalee
    Sidalee Member Posts: 113
    Options

Thanks for the laugh hapa! I appreciate all of the thoughts too, I am so busy getting the kids ready for school and trying to tie up loose ends at work that I'm not overthinking things too much. Thank goodness. I'm picking my mom up from the airport in an hour so that's exciting too.

Right now I'm wondering if I will end up having my surgery Friday or not. We had the best little family vacation over the long weekend and unfortunately 3 of us came back with a cold. My NP was kind enough to give me a Z-Pack in case, but if I'm not feeling a lot better by Thursday morning I'm pretty sure the pre-op people are going to bounce me :(

So, I would appreciate some get better quick vibes this direction, thanks girls!

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Options

Sidalee, wishing you a quick recovery!  Take lots of Vitamin C if you can.  

Hapa, you go, girl!  

• NVDobie
    Options

I shared this in radiation group. want to share it with my March chemo sisters as well.

You ladies may know this already, sharing it anyway. :-)

For safer choice of lotions, creams and make ups.

I used this almost on all things I put on my face and body nowadays. They have app which you can use to scan products in store and will show you the EWG score. However only products sold in US, Canadian only products are not on the site.Click on the product score, it will also tell u the specific issues, allergy, cancer or environment.

https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/#.W2xpQsJlBdg

• Bec-Ky
    Options

How is everyone feeling that has finished chemo? Does anyone have any side effects that have lingered or could be permanent? I seem to have a need to stretch my feet and calves and I have what seems to be easily sore heels. Could just be the lack of activity over the last few months too.

Overall I seem to have recovered from most of the side effects. I am still quickly out of breath with activity, but it's so minor that I don't notice it unless I am REALLY ACTIVE.. which is like.. Never.. 😂

I haven't had a big Mac in months... So I'm doing really good in that department. Lol

• hapa
    Options

I'm feeling much better. Last TCHP was on Jul11, I've had one herceptin only infusion since then with no noticeable side effects. I still have some swelling and muscle aches which both seem to have started to subside in the last few days. My energy level is much better, though I've noticed my resting heart rate is still higher than normal. Working out is still pretty exhausting. I still have neuropathy in my fingers and toes which may be permanent, I guess we'll see, but even if it is it's mild enough that it doesn't disrupt anything. No hair yet, I'm ready for it to grow back.

• NVDobie
    Options

Bec-ky

I developed chemo induced joint pain after. Most noticeable on my hands, fingers. MO confirmed there is such thing as chemo induced rheumatismand it mostly goes away 6-9 months unless it was due to drop of estrogen. I had heel pain problem before this whole thing, my GP told me to wear shoes with some heels vs. flat shoes even inside of house, and stretching calves, both helped, just tough to do it every day. Try it out.

MO did say Tamoxifen shouldn’t make it worse, potentially may have chance to improve.

Hapa

I also have neutropathy, worsened by Abraxane after Taxol, my last infusion was May 10. Fingers are almost good now, feet progressingly getting better, now just the toes. I did warm water soak at night and reflexology frequently to help.

• mLghtn
    mLghtn Member Posts: 68
    Options

I also had taxol and then abraxane and still have joint and muscle aches, and some neuropathy in right hand. Its now 1 month PFC and although its improved, its still not back to normal. I had to stop after 8 tx because MO thought not worthwhile to continue and risk more permanent SE's. I'm starting to get frustrated because I was very fit and active before and I'm still not able to exercise much or the muscle pain gets pretty severe (just walking and yoga for now). Also I'm having lumpectomy in 2 weeks with simultaneous reconstruction/lift and PS said no activity with right arm, no swimming, no driving for 3 weeks. I was just starting to enjoy the summer and going to beach again without having all the fatigue from chemo :(. Then as soon as I am healed I have rads to look forward to :(. Sorry I am venting I just feel like it will be so long before I will be able to return to all my normal activities. Also I am getting worried about rads because I seem to be prone to muscle tightness, spasms, and aches since the taxanes and I'm very afraid of tissue fibrosis from rads that would affect chest and arm muscles causing more tightening. I don't want to have to deal with more long term pain management. I am an RN and have to be able to do heavy lifting and CPR to go back to work, and they already said I might not be able to do this for some time after rads. I would appreciate any input from anyone who has gone through sx followed by rads and effect on healing and chest/arm muscles. Wishing everyone well.

• YangSainst
    YangSainst Member Posts: 69
    Options

Hello Ladies back in the site lol,

Hapa,Steph,Beck,NvDobie,

Thanks to all of you,my MO after meeting her and deciding to stop chemo at 4 she didn't say anything nor suggested anything. Only check my surgery the right breast and give me a referral for rads she said don't want to long to do the Rads and also ask me to start tamoxifen but I just started taking it yesterday.

I might able to start Rads 1st Monday of Sept since I'm still trying to complete the funds to pay the CT planning., my period stop after the 4th chemo then after taking tamoxifen yesterday it came today.. What a crazy thing lol.

Hoping you all doing great..waiting to hear from you hugs and kisses Girls..

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Options

Hi Ladies!

MLghtn - my PS was very good at following my progress following surgery, and then following rads, on range of motion.  Once the incisions healed, he had me do arm creep exercises - sitting in a chair creep your hand up the wall, and each day try to reach a little bit further, but never to the point of pulling.  I also started doing them in a warm shower while standing, again up the wall of the shower, until I fully extended my arm.  I recommend it, it's gentle, and you can mark your progress with a sticky note so you know you are getting a little further every day.  The lifting restriction was there for some time, although I was told I could start using low weights to start rebuilding.  If you PS doesn't have any reccs, is there a therapist that you can speak with?  Near me we have a program at some of the gyms and the Y that offer strength rebuilding.  Same after the rads - and my PS checked again to see my ability to use the arm, extend it fully, and guage flexibility.  They say the muscles between the breast and armpit tighten up during rads in reaction.  I experienced that and tried to do to regular gentle stretching, a little more each day, plus went back to the wall creeps.  2 weeks post rads and still stretching with improvement each day.  Right now it's still a little tight because while I healed pretty well from the rads, I have a residual burn area from the boost I got that's still red and sore, so it is a little uncomfortable.  

Yang good luck with the rads and tamoxifen!

Had my meeting with the MO and after a long and thoughtful discussion I am starting on Arimidex, an AI, early September.  Dr. recommended I take it with at least 1000 units Vitamin D daily.  Not starting for a few weeks because we leave on a cruise tomorrow (once cancelled, once delayed already), and didn't want to be at sea and having any weird SEs.  

Wishing everyone a wonderful last few weeks of August!