Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

While youre waiting to have your symptoms evaluated...

Options
2»

Comments

• Worried-mum
    Worried-mum Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2019
    Options

Have been having breast pain in one breast for months and recently it has gotten worse, I also noticed when I lifted my arm the skin on side of breast were I’m getting the pain looks like stretch marks but disappear when arm is lowered. My isn’t constantly inverted but it’s not how it use to be. So after months of this I went to gp, she examined me and said she felt a nodule near my nipple but she thinks it’s a glandular nodule. She has decided to refer me to breast Clinic for further investigation. There’s no history of breast cancer in my family but history of other cancers on both my mum and dads side of the family. im trying not to worry but thats not going so good.

• Nikki001
    Nikki001 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2020
    Options

thank you!

• Macgirl1954
    Macgirl1954 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2020
    Options

I went for my yearly mammogram and got a phone call that I needed to go back for another mammogram and ultrasound because the doctor saw something different from the last one. I have to wait two weeks before they can get me in for the tests and I’m so scared. I don’t feel or see anything on breast exam. I was fine until after the phone call. Now all of a sudden I’m feeling a burning sensation on and off in my left breast and don’t know if I’m feeling it because I read about it or if it’s real. Is this a common sign of breast cancer?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    edited September 2020
    Options

((((Macgirl1954))))). We know how scary that is to get call-backs. Try to relax, if possible, as it's not unusual.

If you want to understand though more about symptoms, you can read here: Understanding Breast Cancer.

Please keep us posted!

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited September 2020
    Options

"I was fine until after the phone call. Now all of a sudden I'm feeling a burning sensation on and off in my left breast and don't know if I'm feeling it because I read about it or if it's real. Is this a common sign of breast cancer?"

No, a burning sensation is not a common sign of breast cancer. It is a common sign of stress, however.

10% of mammograms result in a callback. 95% of callbacks turn out to be nothing serious. Many callbacks are simply caused by how the breast was squished in the mammogram machine, resulting in a fold or a distortion. Even if something is seen during the diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound and a biopsy is recommended, 70%-75% of biopsies are benign.

It's normal to be scared when you get a callback, but at this point, the likelihood that this will turn out to be nothing is much higher than the likelihood that you will be diagnosed with breast cancer.

Good luck with the callback. When is it? Let us know what happens.

• Macgirl1954
    edited October 2020
    Options

I have an appointment on October 3rd.Due to covid it's the first appointment I could get. Thank you all. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Macgirl1954
    edited October 2020
    Options

I had my appointment today for more images and an ultrasound. I was taken into the mammogram room, the technician was so kind and understanding. She took more pictures of my left breast. This is the breast I was worried about and having a burning sensation in. After she was finished I went back to the waiting area and sat. It felt like an eternity until my technician appeared again and told me she had to get more pictures! I was so anxious I felt like I was going to vomit. After the second set of pictures I again went back to the waiting area until I was called to go for my ultrasound. Finally after about 25 minutes another technician called my name and took me for my ultrasound. It seemed like it took over 15 minutes before she was finally done. She left me in the room with instructions not to get dressed until she made sure the doctor didn’t need any more pictures. Upon returning she let me know everything was fine, the doctor didn’t see anything wrong with my breast!!!! I’m sure you know the instant relief I felt. I just want to mention that If anyone is waiting to go for more tests, stressed out and having any symptoms, try to relax and keep your mind occupied. The mind is a powerful thing. I had myself convinced that I had breast cancer, not only because my mom died from breast cancer, but I felt a burning sensation in my breast that I thought was real. I feel it’s terrible that we have to wait, sometimes weeks before we can find out if we have breast cancer. That waiting time is torture. There has to be a better way.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited October 2020
    Options

Macgirl, I'm so glad it went well. It sounds like you had a very thorough screening, with the Tech and Radiologist really looking to see if anything was in the location that had shown something different on your mammogram a couple of weeks ago. So, who knows, it might have been just a fold in your breast tissue after all.

And so you know, I was being honest when I said that a burning sensation is not a usual sign of breast cancer - and yes, it probably was caused by your stress and anxiety. As you said, the mind is a powerful thing, and it can cause real physical symptoms.

Good luck going forward. Hopefully you don't have to deal with any more call-backs, but if you do, you'll know that most often, they turn out to be nothing.

Smile

• Macgirl1954
    edited October 2020
    Options

Beesie

Thanks to you and all the moderators! I appreciate your prompt response and encouragement. After going through what I, and so many women go through, there has to be abetter way. The stress you endure can’t be good for you.

I would be happy to help when or where ever I’m needed, even if just for support.

• mcrosby40
    mcrosby40 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hi, I'm new here. I had my first mammogram a few weeks ago, my mother is a breast cancer survivor and I have some other family history of it too, so they recommended starting now that I'm about to be 40. I'm all about taking precautions. I got a callback for an ultrasound and second mammogram on my right breast, they saw one irregular mass. This week got my results and now the see two irregular masses both about 1cm x 2cm. My primary recommended me to the a surgeon at the Breast Center at our hospital, my appt was supposed to be tomorrow. The nurse called and said the surgeon wants their own mammogram and ultrasound. Of course I've been freaking out, this all was so unexpected. The waiting part is what gets me. I'm glad I found this site, good info so far. Thanks!!!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    edited October 2020
    Options

Welcome, mcrosby40! We're so sorry you find yourself here with this worry, we know it's hard to process. Please keep us posted on how your next mammo and ultrasound go, we hope you're able to get some definitive answers from the breast surgeon!

The Mods

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited October 2020
    Options

mcrosby, it is actually very common to be called back after your first mammogram because there are no old films to compare for stability and what is normal for you. The fact that there are multiple areas being given a second look make it more likely that you don’t have cancer. Things like multiple benign fibroadenomas are common, even when they don’t have a “textbook” smooth appearance on imaging. Hang in there