Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• astyanax66
    astyanax66 Member Posts: 223

Perfect color for you, Duffyzmom!!!

Mine is on the way out, especially on back and sides, but I will take it 10x over compared to this week’s rough experience. I ate some chicken on Tuesday. Never again. I started having horrible cramps that turned into constipation that turned into impacted bowel. (But not obstructed—that would have been worse). Went to ER and got CT scan and put on what is essentially the same stuff you take for colonoscopy prep. Nothing happened. I swear, the pain was worse than labor...for 2+ days. With vomiting. I was on the verge of going back when things finally happened. It was horrible. I’ve always had mild diarrhea (treatment 5 of 12 done), so this was a shock. The PA at ER suggested asking onco about using a regular stool softener from now on...oh yes. No one warned me about how things could flip around so fast. Dang. Hope that might serve as a talking point for someone else. I wouldn’t wish that on anybody.

Friends coming to coordinate son’s graduation party tomorrow...board games, and my tail will be in recliner, continuing to rehydrate and eat simple foods. It is nice to have people willing to help. :)

Dee

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

So sorry to hear this Dee. Yes last time I had chemo constipation was my chief complaint. I swear people got tired of listening to me gripe and complain about it but seriously even with Senokot S it was like pooping cement. This time I had Senokot S, MiraLax and prunes on hand. Sometimes it takes trial and error to see what works.

My follow-up with oncologist went really well. Counts almost in normal range so hopefully if CBC blood test doesn't show anything unusual I'm a go for Round #2 on Tuesday. He offered to lower my Taxotere dosage but I told him let's assume it was some funky bacterial or viral infection and hopefully it will be better this time. If not, I'll let him lower it next time.

FYI finally saw Infinity War......I think I'm going to need to see it again to process all the information.Singing

• astyanax66

I’m going to put those on my list of things to ask onco about and have on hand...Right there with you on Infinity War. I think I still have a jaw drop look on my face, lol.

Dee

• Djt
    Djt Member Posts: 176

DEE , that sounds like a nightmare....So many things to watch out for and be aware of. I hope you have gotten past it.

DUFFYSMOM, I'm on schedule for Tuesday as you are. They do my bloodwork first, so I hope I can proceed. This week has been so very much better, with distance from the first treatment it gets better each day. I hope this can repeat itself after infusion # 2. That there IS hope on day 7 or 8 to taste food and have some measure of energy. We just did some pre treatment shopping for crackers, soups, sugar free hard candy, and last time I got a big box of gingersnaps hard cookies. They helped too.

Positive thoughts, and best wishes to all here, and hope for a terrific weekend.

Deborah

• duffyzmom

Deborah - my counts were at almost "normal" level according to my Dr. So unless the kidney/liver levels found in CBC are bad I should be good to go and if I recall he said with those they just tweak the dosage. I'll drive over to Michigan Monday and do any chemo preparation there. Luckily hubby's long weekend is next weekend (Victoria Day) So he'll join before crash hits Friday.

We had my Mother's Day dinner out last night at an amazing restaurant. I was even able to enjoy a glass of wine and it all tasted great. Thank goodness! I'm still not tasting sweets but I ordered the crab cakes and scallops which had a little heat to it. Spicy seems to break through better. I wore my wig and remembered why I really don't like them. I took it off as soon as I was back in car. It just looks like a wig no way around it so I might as well wear my funky colored wigs.

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Soooo, as I posted in the TC forum, my wife spiked a fever on Friday night and off we went to urgent care at Kaiser. They ended up admitting her and started antibiotics and Neupogen. She still is having a fever on and off today (Saturday), so I have a feeling we'll be spending Mother's Day here :(

I know neutropenic fevers are common. Anyone else end up in the hospital due to this? I imagine several of you ladies have, unfortunately.

• leli
    leli Member Posts: 25

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all the warrior moms in this community. We all deserve to celebrate!

• duffyzmom

So sorry to hear this Engine104 when was your wife's first round of chemo. I ended up in the ER with a neutropenic fever on day 10. Luckily I had experience with a neutropenic fever the last time so I was able to convince ER Dr to let me go home with RX. Is she not getting Neulasta? maybe now the oncologist can convince insurance to cover it.

Definitely celebrating Mother's Day hard this year and trying to mother my children through some of the fear of losing me. Luckily it's easy to do as this is my good weekend. Days 19-21. Otherwise known in our house as the sex weekend. SillyHeart I told Hubby no matter what we have to have sex during this good week for fear the atrophy gets too bad. On my last oncologist appt he requested I give up my estrogen vaginal cream that had been a life saver following the chemo induced menopause from my previous chemo. You know it's bad when your PCP tells you your vagina looks like the vagina of an 80 year old and your only 45. I was not pleased. My tumor isn't even hormone receptor positive but he says there is evidence that it can affect cellular changes in the breast. Boo Hiss. I just ordered a supply of HyaloGyn and I'm hoping it is a good alternative.

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Duffyzmom, love the hair color. And, good luck with your "fun" weekend. ;)

Dee (astyanax66), I can sympathize with the constipation. Mine was really bad again this time and I thought I'd done better by doubling up on Colace and adding Miralax before and after treatment. Apparently not... Guess I need to triple everything for Round #3.

Engine104, I hope your wife is doing better. It's sucky to spend Mother's Day in the hospital! I know my MO worries about a neutropenic fever in us. He's got me taking my temp three times a day. I got the Neulasta shot after both of my 2 treatments, but even though I got it at 27 hours after chemo, it didn't kick in and start producing white blood cells until Day 8. The nurse says they use a delayed release form (or maybe it's extended release?). Hoping they have given it to your wife in the hospital - if so, she'll REALLY want to take Claritin (not Claritin D) to help with the deep bone pain it can give her (I have personal experience - it is NOT fun), so have that on hand! I'm lightheaded today and due to get my blood work done tomorrow, so I'd bet money my WBC is super-low again, too.

I'm going to try to get in a run this afternoon. I seem to be more tired with this second treatment, but I'm going to give it a shot! Happy Mother's Day to all of you - celebrate, relax, and enjoy your day!

• Djt

Lleli, duffysm, engines wife, Dee....hope all of you can enjoy mom's day the best we can. I know we all are different phases of this journey, and all are go to push through to a better tomorrow. Carpe diem.

I heard from 2 out of 3 kids, so I'm happy for that. My other half wanted to go out to breakfast ....mornings are not stable for my stomach..but we went. Omg, the restaurant was beyond packed with mom celebratory going on, we were shoved into a tiny corner, I started to feel hot and ill, got down a piece of toast and half cup of coffee before off to the bathroom. Back home, and I did manage a 1.25 mile walk. So it's a successful day.

Hugs to Engines wife, and to all ...Blessings.

Deborah.

• Engine104

Thanks, everyone! :)

From what I've read from you ladies on here, it sounded like many of you got Neulasta or Neupogen during your first round as a precaution. I wanted to ask the Onco about that, but didn't. Now, I wish I did. 20/20 hindsight and all that.. I also wish we'd pushed for the PIC line. My wife's veins are pretty marginal. We asked about it, but the onco's response was, "Our chemo techs are really good at finding a vein." They were, but in all fairness, we weren't planning on all of the sticks they have had to do because of her hospital stay.

My wife is getting Neupogen now and I'm told we can do injections at home in the future. I'm going to ask about the patch, but if we have to do shots, I am more than willing to do it if it saves us her from another hospital stay.

Her counts are going up slowly, but the doctor said she'll be here until the fevers go away and the counts go higher, probably one or two more days.

I want to wish all of you a very Happy Mother's Day! I hope it's a good one.

• duffyzmom

Deborah - sorry to hear you are still dealing with tummy troubles. Are you doing any probiotics (yogurt or otherwise)? I'm really hoping adding the activa will help some for me this time.

GAWarrior. Glad you were able to get a good run in. I'm finally feeling up to starting back running following my surgeries. Daughter and I did the Disney Marathon in January and she's doing another in a couple of weeks so I'm feeling a little jealous. Although Disney will probably be my last full, I've decided to stick with half marathons from here on out. Training this time seemed much harder although looking back the cancer was probably already causing issues and I just didn't know it at the time.

I'm looking forward to this round as my BFF will be my chemo buddy and she recently informed me she's never seen Pleasantville (one of my all time favorite movies) so we'll be watching it during infusion.

Engine - I hope your wife's recovery is continuing. Can you talk to her team about getting a port or Pic line while she's already in the hospital?

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

HI engine, I'm glad your wife's counts are going up. As we speak I am getting TC #3. Neulasta and neupogen approval can be tricky with some insurance companies as they consider it "optional" for TC treatment and not "recommended" as it is for others is one thought as to why it may not have been offered? I had to send appeal letter to get neulasta approved. Hindsight is 20/20 but your wife's hospitalization should warrant it moving forward but I'm sorry she had to go through all this. PICC b4 she is discharged would be great. You mentioned the patch..i believe you mean the one for neulasta. I don't believe they have that for neupogen. The only reason I opted to go back in the next day for the shot is because there is a chance, although rare, that it could malfunction and I wanted to be sure I actually got the med. I live 10 min away from the office and didn't mind driving in. I hope all goes well and your wife is discharged soon.

• astyanax66

Engine, I'm so sorry about your wife's fever. It's not happened to me, but I know it's a huge concern. I am so terrified of the bone pain of Neulasta. I have to say I'm very glad I got a port. It's been excellent for me (everyone's mileage may vary). The one "odd" downside is that not everyone knows how to use it, and if a person hasn't been trained, they really shouldn't use it. So, occasionally I have to get blood drawn at another part of the hospital or for something for my PCP, and the port isn't used. My mom had something like a PICC line, and it was easy to use--we just flushed it regularly at home. I hate sticks and have weeny veins even when not on chemo, so it's been a win.

Hope all is getting better,

dee

• astyanax66

Deborah, sounds like the walk was a nice idea! I hung out with family and friends, not doing much except trying to rev up my RBC and hematocrit before tomorrow.

GAWarrior, that was the pits. I'm eating more, ah, foods to keep things regular than *ever* go through that again!

dee

• Engine104

Thanks again, ladies. Much appreciated.

They've started Neupogen here and I am sure that will continue each time now that the onco knows she will need it.

As far as the PICC line goes, we're going to push for that and I am sure they will agree. I'm not sure, though they would want to do that while her counts are down. Probably when they come back up, I'm guessing.

The counts are coming back. WBC was at the low end of normal this morning. The said if her Neutrophils were normal, she would have been able to go home today. They think that will be high enough tomorrow for her to go home. Hope so. She did have a fever again in the middle of the night, thiough.

• FDwithfurkids
    FDwithfurkids Member Posts: 24

Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a nice Mothers Day weekend.

I wish a speedy recovery and exit from the hospital to Engine’s wife.

GAWarrior, our for a 2+ mike run? Wow. I’m impressed (but I’m not a runner to begin with). Hope your energy stays up for you to continue doing what you love

Deborah- hope you’re feeling better. I’ve been dealing with mild GI for the past week and after reading duffyz post I realized I have not taken my probiotic in over a week. (Chemo brain) I’m sure it will get better once I get it back in my system.

So I have Tx #2 tomorrow. Hoping to keep the SE about the same as they weren’t too bad the first time. But I’m trying to mentally prepare for things to go south. I also took the clippers to my head last night. It felt so great! I couldn’t believe how much pain my hair was causing.

I do have a question for you all out there. Is it possible to get your family/friends/coworkers to relax and not fret over you all the time? The one thing I keep asking and reminding people is that I need as much normalcy as possible. I’m still me.

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Good morning ladies,

We all seem to be in different stages of recovery.

I finished my last round of DD AC yesterday and will move on to the 12 weekly Taxols after 2 weeks. I got the Neulesta shots after all the 4 ACs. But will not get any after the Taxol. My doc mentioned that since its weekly infusion the WBCs do not get affected as badly as AC. I am not sold, with what I have heard from you ladies + flu season starting. I wish I was getting the shots. Also, as per me the MO downplayed a Taxol SEs.

So yesterday I msged a friend after coming back from the infusion about how it went and she responded back with, great so we have officially begun the countdown to the good week. Made me smile 😀.

Take care everyon

• debal

FD, good luck with your treatment tomorrow. Mentally prepare but at the same time be hopeful it will go as last time!!. I agree, the pain on the scalp hurt so much it was a relief to have most of the hair gone in a way. I looked at it as one more step forward in this journey. Frog, congrats on your last A.C. treatment! I hope it is a good week for everyone!🙂

• Djt

FD, Deb, I agree, I don't want the sad looks, the glances at my breasts, and hair. I have told my immediate family . period, for this reason. Yes, as you and Duffysmom mentioned, the activia with probiotics helps. It just always seems up to about noon, my guts are cramping, rolling, and im 5 feet from the bathroom. That should prove a challenge in the am, as my 2nd treatment starts at 9 00 am. Yikes. Imodium, I guess.

My honey and I are planning on a slow week after tomorrow, it helps to have some idea of how the first infusion went. I have a couple of good books and magazines on hand, teas, sugar free hard candy, soups, ice, and my fav cosmetic creams for dry skin. I love Cera've hydrating cream. I plan on forgoing my pricy wig while im vegging out on sofa, so i have some soft bamboo knit caps for the worse days. I read bamboo material has antibacterial properties for chemo patients bald heads.

Best to tomorrow treatment ladies ..FD duffysmom. Dee And I hope I'm not forgetting anyone.

Frog, keep on keeping on. Avoid crowds, and my onco nurse stressed hand washing like crazy. I am in the habit of scrubbing each time I go anywhere. What about flu shot?

Hope forr us all to be strong, have nurses who get the job done on first try, and sunshine.

☀️♥️☀️♥️☀️♥️Deborah

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Frog, I'm following u this Thursday last AC than May 31st I will have my first taxol, which is weekly. I'm having anxiety about what my SE"s will be. Wishing u positive thoughts to get throught the infusion. Hugs...keep me posted...

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Duffysmom - I did the Disney marathon in January, too! It was my first full (I have 9 halfs under my belt). My daughter was injured during the full so she did race support/encouragement along the course. This year, I promised I'd run the full with her, but the way I feel today, I'll be lucky to complete the Wine and Dine Half (DIsney) that we signed up for as a goal to aim for in November. I bet I'll be her race support this time. That's partially why this whole thing ticks me off so much...how are you in good enough shape to run a marathon in Jan and get punched in the gut with a cancer diagnosis 2 months later. Grrrr. I did a verrryyy slooowwwww 2 miles on Sunday and it took forever and took everything out of me. For some reason, this #2 AC round is kicking my butt! Hoping the Neulasta starts working soon.

Engine, hoping the Neupogen helps - I'm sure it will. The last time, my Neulasta didn't work until Day 8 and I felt so much better after it did. Sure hoping your wife gets to come home today!

FD, it's so hard on the ones who love us. I finally told my office manager to stop babying me and treating me different than the rest of the staff - I have cancer, but that doesn't make me an invalid! Good luck with T#2 today. P.S. I took clippers to my hair, but my scalp still hurts a week later. I wonder if what's left is too long?

Frog and udrago71, I'm jealous. My #3AC is next week. I really want to be through this all, so I'm looking forward to T in a way, but also SUPER-dreading the SE. I'm terrified of the D and neuropathy. Thinking positive thoughts and sending good wishes to you both.

Djt, good luck tomorrow, too. I'm glad you're not as anxious about these upcoming rounds of chemo.

Have a good week, ladies!

• duffyzmom

GAwarrior - It had been 5 years since my last Full so when I found training to be harder this time I just kept telling myself it must be from getting ready to turn 50. Probably more a combination of the BC and age. Daughter was so great. When I asked her what experience she wanted from the run she said I want the Disney experience with my mom. No PR goal just lots of photos and fun. After Disney Studios, we would run until I couldn't and then I'd tap her on the shoulder and we'd take a walk break. But we finished and had a great mother/daughter trip.

Have a great day to all my Tuesday Chemo buddies. I'm actually looking forward to a day with my BFF. Packing my lunch and boredom bag and ready to get another one done.

• Engine104

We were "go for launch" to come home today and then diarrhea hit last night and this morning. They did a culture to be sure it wasn't infection and just the chemo, but between that and more potassium IV, we're starting to look more like tomorrow. We'll see...

• duffyzmom

Sorry to hear this Engine but she's in the right place for Diarrhea treatment. It's no fun to try and control that at home.

My Round #2 was so much faster and easier. My port was even able to draw blood and no pump was needed this time. The nurses guess was maybe just swelling from the port placement. I had only had it less than week when I had chemo. The infusion room was also less crowded. I"m guessing last time it fell on a date that 21 and 14 date cycles sink. I only recognized two other patients.

So now I'm hope relaxing and making sure my Nuelasta Onpro stays in place.

• marie68
    marie68 Member Posts: 15

Hi Everyone - I have finished 3 of 4 CT infusions. I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing watery eyes. At first I just thought it was a minor nuisance but it's starting to become a problem and I'm worried about long term damage to my eyes. Anyone else experience this or know any tips? Thanks so much.

• Engine104

The attending doctor came by and said we can go home later. They are waiting on the C-diff culture to make sure that's not it. It doesn't sound like it. Most likely, this is due to the strong antibiotics and a stool softener they gave her yesterday, Also, all the fluids from the IV potassium infusions.

Anyway, this is good news and my wife is thriled to be "Paroled." :)

• leli
    leli Member Posts: 25

What day are you on after 3rd infusion? How many days has it been watery? Do you wear contacts? Do you have allergies? I know that during this time that we are hypersensitive to allergens. I am having a bad case of hives and my onco thinks that I am having a bad reaction to the iron supplements that I started to help with my anemia. She said I shouldn't start any new supplements while I am going through chemo. So don't start anything new. With that in mind, don't try any new makeup brands that you've never tried before. Don't eat anything that you've never tried before. Don't try any new perfumes or scents that you have never tried before.

It can't hurt to take Claritin for the watery eyes. Definitely call your doctor just to let them know about the symptoms. Hope it goes away soon.

• marie68
    marie68 Member Posts: 15

Thanks, Leli. I'm on day 14 and they've been watery since about day 10. No contacts or serious allergies (although do get itchy eyes from dust/mold and occasional minor seasonal allergies) and I've been taking daily Claritan since before 3rd infusion to combat Neulasta bone pain (didn't need Neulasta for 2nd infusion and hoping to avoid it for 4th). I've had other skin reactions to the chemo ("burns" at IV site and non-itchy rashes on face). Not wearing any makeup these days -- just loads of my usual lotions for sensitive skin people. I see my onco tomorrow and will ask for suggestions and am considering seeing an ophthalmologist.

• debal

Marie, my 3rd TC was yesterday and eyes are fine. Good idea to ask onc tomorrow. Engine, great your wife is going home. I was hoping they were ruling out c diff. Enjoy your evening at home and I'm glad she is feeling better!