Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

RBS (red breast syndrome)

Options
2»

Comments

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

Immediately after my lumpectomy in 2003 my breast turned bright red.  Not sure if this is the same as RBS or not as I never heard of anyone having a red breast at the time  I also had a re-excision a month later followed by chemo and radiation.  My breast was so red the radiologist didn't want to do radiation treatments without another mammogram, which I found strange. She thought I had inflammatory breast cancer, which isn't even seen on a mammogram, so I don't know where her mind was at.

I had severe burns from radiation which I always thought was due to my red breast, but I don't really know if it had anything to do with that or not.

It took a good 5-8 years to start looking more normal in color. Oddly enough, with my January mastectomy (recurrence) and DIEP reconstruction, it only looks redish when I get out of the shower and quickly goes back to a normal color. 

• Justplainfi
    Justplainfi Member Posts: 2
    Options

Wow that's fascinating re the size of the implant vs expanders! Might have to look further in to this. Thanks for posting.

• Justplainfi
    Justplainfi Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi, you haven't been active for a while so I won't make this too long. I'm writing this from the hospital where I'm under observation for either an infection or RBS. I had a double nipple sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (expanders) in January. I developed a hot, red breast 3 months later (one side only). My inflammatory markers are high, but my white blood cell count is normal. There is a little pain but not much.

I am almost positive it's RBS and am desperate to know how it is treated. Sounds like there really isn't many treatment options... at best it's NSAIDs and antibiotics/steroids, at worst it's surgery to remove the expander and ADM and start again. I found this article somewhat helpful, but not really.

Any other stories here would be helpful! Thanks....

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

I think I have a very very mild case of this on my left (cancer side) foob. I began noticing a warm pink color compared to the other side about 6 months after surgery. Showed it to my PS, she wasn't concerned. No associated increase in pain. Definitely notice it more after showering, but it can be readily visible any time of the day. Almost a dusky pink color diffused on the lower half and some around the nipple. Interestingly enough, my oncological massage therapist recommended that I rub on a small amount of castor oil at night for one week to try and help resolve some scar tissue problems. I applied the castor oil along with a tiny amount of lavender oil (both of these premixed I didn't use the essential oil and mix myself). I combine rub both in, lay a cloth baby diaper over my chest, then put on a stretchy tank top to hold that in and keep the oils from my sheets. I noticed immediately that the pink color on that left breast has reduced considerably after the first night. I have applied for two nights, I will do the full week and see how things go. This could just be coincidence but hey I will take it.

• Condomimi
    Condomimi Member Posts: 1
    Options

I had a double mastectomy and almost immediately after reconstruction I developed RBS in my left breast. It’s been almost six months. My PS has been treating it with Allegra and Benedryl. It’s a lighter shade of red but still red. Has anyone experienced this lasting longer than 6 months?

• miamiujen
    miamiujen Member Posts: 6
    Options

I still have some discoloration and I developed RBS nearly 4 months after my combined mastectomy/reconstruction surgery. Surgery was in Dec. 2017 and the RBS came on in April 2018. My skin is still a little blotchy - not pink, more of a deep tan. I don't pay much attention to it anymore. I never took any allergy meds for the RBS. Yours will likely keep fading. It does take quite a long time in most cases for the color to go away. I think I'll be living with my "blotchy" look. It does not look that bad, and I don't even think about it much at all anymore. My case has been weird, with such a delayed reaction to the AlloDerm. I wish you the best! :)

• Willcare
    Willcare Member Posts: 8
    Options

Has your RBS gone away yet? Do you think that treatment was effective. I had bmx direct to implant on October 1st, 2019. I developed redness on the lower outer part of both breasts approximately 13 days later. My PS did not say it was RBS and put me on 2 weeks of Amoxicillin. It didn't help so at my 4 week check up he switched me to a different antibiotic & still just described it as 'red' with no other explanation. I asked him if it was cellulitis and he said I don't think so. The 1st time I heard of RBS wasn this morning when I read this thread & now I'm wondering if anyone has had any success getting rid of it & how? I really hope it doesn't lead to the removal of my implants. Any updates from anyone would be appreciated.

• Beccabecca
    Beccabecca Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am experiencing red breast syndrome. I've had it for about 2 months now. I've taking three different antibiotics and steroids and it is still red and has stabbing pains. My surgeon says that in his younger years he would going to surgery right away for this condition but he always found that once he opened up the breast that there was no infection to clean out so now it's just a waiting game. I've had it since about November 1st to now. No improvement at all. I still have my expanders in and we cannot move forward until this clears up.

• annoyingboob
    annoyingboob Member Posts: 459
    Options

yup. I have it. S/p lumpectomy w xrt in 2017. Then s/p mastectomy w allloderm and expanders 3/2020 For a recurrence and exchange 5/2020. The radiated boob has waxing and waning redness and both were profoundly itchy after exchange. Totally normal before last surgery. Had a course of abx and redness dimished but never went away completely. No fever. Don’t feel Ill. I think my body is rejecting tHe Alloderm or implants - not severely but enough that I consider explant. I wonder what long term consequences are, and don’t want to make myself sick over implants I don’t even love.
    the literature says rbs is quite rare - up to 7%. I have very sensitive skin - allergic to tape and adhesives. My theory is that sensitivity and prior radiation cause/contribute to this reaction.

• AnnC2019
    AnnC2019 Member Posts: 93
    Options

I have been in the hospital on an antibiotic infusion 2 days now and after reading this I have to wonder if I have red breast syndrome and not cellulitis. I don't have pain just sensitivity and my blood work was fine. I don't have fever and the redness is barely receding. My skin is very warm in the area, so not sure if that excludes rbs. I had a mastectomy about a month ago. I ended up in the hospital because the first antibiotic didn't work. I also get red marks from bandaids and surgical tape, so maybe it is the alloderm. Going to ask the Doctor tomorrow and see if we can try cortisone and singulair

• miamiujen
    miamiujen Member Posts: 6
    Options

The redness could definitely be a reaction to the Alloderm. Has your doctor mentioned whether he or she has seen other patients with RBS? It can definitely be a mystery to many doctors and patients. I had a very delayed reaction to the Alloderm and my plastic surgeon had only seen one other patient with RBS. I did not have sensitivity or enough warmth in that area to be of any real concern. I was put on a course of 2 antibiotics as a precaution and it made no difference in the color, so the PS concluded that it was RBS. It took months for the pinkness to fade. Has the antibiotic infusion made any difference yet? I wish you well. Hope to hear more about how you are doing and if it is finally concluded that you do indeed have RBS.

• AnnC2019
    AnnC2019 Member Posts: 93
    Options

Hi Miamiujen,

I mentioned it at the morning visit so waiting to hear back from the surgeon. I've been on vandomyci for three days and I don't see much change in the color. At this point I am hoping it is rbs because if it isn't and the strong antibiotics aren't working that isn't positive. I read there are two types of alloderm one is aseptic and other one is sterile. Aseptic supposedly leads to more rbs. Not sure which one I have.

• Anaglick
    Anaglick Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello I discovered your post through a Google search. I wanted to share my experience with what I believe to be RBS. I am a 28 year old female who has never been diagnosed with breast cancer. Although I have been screened for inflammatory breast cancer everything (biopsy) came back negative. I just recently had a breast reduction purely for cosmetic reason and now both lower half of both breast are bright red and sometimes even purple. I know this is not an infection and it has occurred a year after surgery. I will be examined again to Make sure it’s not IBC that has developed for my last biopsy was two years ago. I do believe surgery of any type to the breast can cause lymphatic obstruction which can cause an inflammatory response. It may not be a reaction to certain mesh for I had nothing of the sort. I just had tissue removed and am experiencing the same thing you all are.

• rockymountaingal
    rockymountaingal Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello - I may be experiencing RBS based on the experiences shared by so many of you. I had a bilateral mastectomy after being diagnosed with DCIS. I feel okay as far as infection goes. Other than being perpetually uncomfortable, I have no fever, no flu symptoms, and feel okay other than being tired and having extremely dry skin (way worse than usual). But skin is pinkish red with some spots that are a bit more inflamed on my right, where I had lymph nodes removed. It’s worse after a shower. I’m on heavy antibiotics to rule out infection. Those are an experience in and of themselves. An ultrasound found no excess fluid behind my implants. Hoping that this is going to clear up.

I’m seeing more papers about RBS online (in 2023) with speculations that this is an allergic reaction to dermal products used. Sounds like there are different options, and one brand has more cases associated with it. The NIH also has an article about it now - Google Red Breast Syndrome and Acellular Dermal Matrix.

I’m glad to see this being talked about. Sounds like more research is needed. While I’m still worried, you all gave me hope through your stories. With my gratitude…..

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Welcome, @rockymountaingal! We're sorry you find yourself here, and we're sorry you're dealing with this! But we're glad that you've joined our community and found support here. We hope this clears up for you quickly!

The Mods