Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pericardial effusion

Options
Reneeswan
Reneeswan Member Posts: 58

On Friday, my oncologist told me I had a pericardial effusion. I am due to have ecohocardiogram in 10 days. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this. I am really concerned after reading about it.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,770
    edited May 2018
    Options

I have had one, for almost 7 years (and probably longer than that). It is asymptomatic and unchanged . The doctors consider it idiopathic. Of course, it is hard not to worry, but it may turn out to be nothing significant. Best wishes

• AussieTracey
    AussieTracey Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2018
    Options

I had a pericardial mets that lead to a pericardial effusion last October. I was initially monitored weekly with a echocardiogram. After about 6 weeks my cardiologist felt it was very slow growing and he would review me in 8 weeks time. The next day I went to the zoo with my family and walked around all day and was fine. Over the next couple of days I had increasing shortness of breath and a cough that became intractable. I then developed a fever. I actually had my mum’s 80 Th Birthday party to organise and a lunch to go too. After my mum’s party I was very tired but I had been really busy. I jokingly said to my husband that I thought I would be in hospital by the time he came home from work! And I was my daughter who usually ignores anything to do with my cancer became very worried about me and insisted I go to hospital. I had actually gone into cardiac tamponade and was in heart failure. I had an emergency pericardial window cut to drain the fluid compressing my heart. At the same time they did a pleuradesis on my left lung. At the time they told me I had 3 months to live. However I have had a fantastic response to Xeloda and I am feeling great. If you feel short of breath or you are coughing relentlessly don’t ignore it like I did I almost left things too late. Wishing you all the best

• Reneeswan
    Reneeswan Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2018
    Options

exbrnxgrl and AssieTracy, thank you so much for your replies. It has helped me to hear your stories. Hopefully I will get answers soon.

Thank you!

• sarah_78
    sarah_78 Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2021
    Options

(sorry just found out I posted to the wrong forum, will start another thread)

• bestbird
    bestbird Member Posts: 232
    edited December 2021
    Options

I was diagnosed with lung metastases, malignant pleural effusion, and malignant pericardial effusion in 2011. I had an indwelling catheter inserted to drain the pleural effusion, and over time as my treatment began to work everything (thankfully) dried up and the catheter was removed.

I know this is daunting, but hopefully your treatment will work and clear it up!