Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting June 2018

Options

Comments

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi, Washington. I shaved mine 3 days later. Hated picking up the stuff everywhere.

• out_and_about
    out_and_about Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2018
    Options

Rachelcarter35 and Washington48- My husband is struggling, too. Sometimes he seems ok, but other times he breaks down. The first day you could really notice the hair thinning by looking at me, he really took that hard. I have made it a priority throughout this to make sure he is still seeing his friends and doing "guy stuff". He is a bartender, so his nights and weekends are spent working, which makes it hard to have a social life to begin with, so making the effort has been really important. I don't really know what else I can do to help him, but keeping some semblance of "normal life" seems to help a bit.

Washington48- I am right there with you on the hair loss! I first noticed it Wednesday, and on Thursday, it was picking up a bit. By Friday, it was coming out in clumps. I started wearing a buff on my head to hide how terrible it was starting to look and prevent it from getting everywhere. I called my wig shop, cause they will shave my head for me and then fit and style my wig. I go in Tuesday afternoon. I am starting to have a growing bald spot on the top of my head and my scalp is itchy. If I touch my head or comb my hair, I get massive clumps of hair. I don't really WANT to shave, but this is getting annoying, so I guess I am kind of ready. I kind of wish I could go in tomorrow.

• Staylynn
    Staylynn Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2018
    Options

Washington48- I had my second infusion of AC on Thursday, I noticed Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday thinning increasing. Then Friday coming in clumps. I had to go to the office for a Neulasta shot, Onpro reaction last time, and all day Friday hair coming out in huge clumps. That was the hardest for me, so I decided to let my 7 yr old son buzz it for me. His biggest concern throughout this has been "mom i don't want you to lose your hair:(" so I tried to make it fun for him and involve him. I let him have fun and buzz designs then my sister finished the job. The first couple of days I've been wearing hats or scarves as I didn't want to look at it myself but I am now embracing my bald head as my husband and son are as well.

These last few days since treatment have been tough. This heat wave is not helping, but staying hydrated. Biggest complaint is constipation, headaches, and fatigu. I have been double and triple medicating and no luck. UGH! But trying to stay positive!

• Washington48
    Washington48 Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thank you all for words on hair loss and keeping hubby happier! He seems more upset about the hair loss than I am. He has been getting away more and that helps a lot! I am getting shaved today. Local Great Clips does it for free! I have a few wigs already as have used them when traveling for years, so am ready on that front. Have been ordering beanies and head wraps online. Since white blood count is low, I am supposed to avoid shopping and anyplace with large groups of people. Neulesta shots are being increased to 7 from 5 to help. Cycle 2 AC tomorrow morning!

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    edited July 2018
    Options

I think I may have jumped the gun a bit with buzzing my head. I did it at day 12 after my first treatment to avoid the trauma of having it come out in my hands. It was just starting that day. I cut it to about 1/8 inch and now this shadow is staying in place longer than I expected. My scalp is sensitive. It feels a bit like a mild sunburn. I don't know what Taxotere/Cytoxan's abbreviation but that is what I'm having this next Friday #2. I'm curious what what my blood tests will reveal on Thursday. I feel pretty good other than a little tired and have little nerve twinges here and there. My lower back has been sore the last few days but that may be from sitting wrong while doing my mosaic table top.

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    edited July 2018
    Options

Day#6 of second chemo. I am doing okay with pains with Claritin. I was going to Take like 10 days of Claritin but thinking maybe I should stop now? Any suggestions?

• InnaB2018
    edited July 2018
    Options

Some people have delayed reaction to Neulasta. I am sticking with Claritin till day 10 just in case

• Washington48
    edited July 2018
    Options

InnaB-I took the Claratin for the full 10 days and had no bone pain at all. Cycle 2 is tomorrow, so I will restart the Claratin in the morning. Even with 5 shots of Neulasta, I still have low white blood count had have been in insolation for the last three days. Oncologist is upping it to seven shots this round, so I will take the Claratin every day. I would rather that than bone pain!

No more hair, it was falling out by the handful yesterday so I had it shaved today. Great Clips does it for free! How very nice of them! Grandkids had such fun with my head and then tried on all my hats and wigs. It was not scary for them. The little one (age 4) plans to ask Santa for "hair for her Ammy" for Christmas--kids are so wonderful!

• bobby77056
    bobby77056 Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2018
    Options

I had my first AC infusion Friday. I was feeling great until Sunday morning, with a little bit of nausea. I think it was the Neulasta, that I got it Sat. night. Had a terrible day today, bad constipation. We'll see how tomorrow goes!

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 687
    edited July 2018
    Options

Wishing you both the best! How are you doing? I started TC on June 8th. My Oncotype was 27 and like you, LibbyLouWho18, it took 5 weeks for me to get those results. I just finished infusion #2 on the 29th and this second round seems a little harder. I didn't get the Neulasta this time so I don't have as much pain or nausea but I have been a zombie for three days. I guess this is what they call "chemo brain". The fatigue on this round has been unbelievable.

• timetobebrave70
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thank you InnaB2018 I decided to take it for 10 days. Why risk it. I have been much more fatigued this second time around and no appetite. My first infusion side affect of rashes and mouth sores aren’t present but I am really tired. I wonder if it’s yhe Claritin....

Kat22 , how are you holding up?

• Kat22
    Kat22 Member Posts: 93
    edited July 2018
    Options

time: Well, I'll tell ya: the second round was way different than the first. I spent from Friday evening to Sunday evening in bed. I slept ssooo much but I'd wake up every hour. Around the clock. I took the Claritin Wed thru Sat then decided to ditch it, took some Aleve. IDK if the Claritin caused the sleepiness, or how much it actually helped, but I still felt like somebody was stabbing me with needles so it went bye bye. Thought I was going to work Sunday, but about an hour after my chipper lil' post above I hit the wall again. I did go back yesterday, it was a brutally hard day to get through but today I feel like I have deifinitely turned the corner. I feel much much better, tired still but not like I was. I think my hydration obsession made a difference. No constipation OR diarrhea this time, but more nauseous. Zofran helped. Oh yeah, no appetite either all weekend. Little bit of the tastebud thing, and Saturday I met my new enemy Chemo Brain. Thank God that was short-lived. I absolutely can't do my job with THAT. I go Friday morning for labs and a bag of fluids. Really curious how my numbers are. How you doing?

• Washington48
    edited July 2018
    Options

second DDAC was yesterday. So far this round is easier, maybe the extra hydration. I carry water everywhere. Changed from Neulesta to Zarxio as white count so low, almost had to delay chemo yesterday, but made it to lowest number. Seven days of shots this time and will definitely take the Claritin again. Happy Fourth of July

• RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209
    edited July 2018
    Options

After first chemo treatment, I ended up in the hospital due to a fever. Pumped full of antibiotics for two days. Ended up having a sinus infection. After hospital stay, had to take horse-pill antibiotics. The MO thinks the infection came on because I had a bad burning sensation in my sinuses after they pushed the Cytoxan. Had second treatment on 6/28 and they had to increase the time for the Cytoxan from 30 to 45 minutes. Even when they did that, I still had a slight burning sensation in my nose, so they had me sit with just saline running for a while, then finished off the chemo.

Been feeling more tired and my stomach is sluggish. Trying to drink fluids as much as I can. Bummed that some of my favorite foods taste bland. My hair started to fall out on day 13 and right now I look like a weird carnival dude that wants you to buy a belt made from alligator hyde. LOL. I have been wearing scarves and a cap at night. Have my appointment with the wig lady on Friday. Don't know how I'll feel when she clipper cuts the remaining hair.

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    edited July 2018
    Options

I should have shaved my head bald instead of leaving a shadow because my follicles have been on fire and the little short hairs hurt when they push against anything - even the softest of hats. I've been rolling a sticky lint brush over my scalp all day and its coming out unevenly. I've just been seeing the humor in it. Because I'd rather laugh than cry. Tomorrow steroids and lab work for Friday's second round. I've been drinking so much water. I really enjoyed my 4th, feeling relatively normal, with great family and friends before going back down the rabbit hole again.

• hollywood1968
    hollywood1968 Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hey!!

Had to shave all the hair off. I had just cut it short but then yesterday it came out in clumps again. I have not been wearing anything on my head. For the holiday we had family over and swam in the pool. It is so hot here in Oklahoma. I could be in the pool but not out in the heat more than 30 minutes before total exhaustion set in. No one thought anything about my hair. My granddaughter who is 5 and special needs kept rubbing my head and staring at me. The nausea has lasted longer this time but slowly getting better. For the first time I broke down and cried for about 15 minutes yesterday morning. I just all of a sudden felt mad and overwhelmed My daughter said I was entitled to a pitty party every once in a while as long as it was short lived. I have had trouble taking in as much fluids this time. I try to look at the bright side that I am half way through The DDAC. I am really hopping the T part of the chemo is easier. I plan to ice my hands and feet. I can tell the tumor has shrunk some. My tumor was 7.25 X 5.25 x 4.9 cm. I am triple negative and 2 lymph nodes were involved. I had the genetic testing and have no mutations. My mom died of ovarian cancer in 2011. I am happy and sad at the same time that everyone in my family is so worried about me. I have had the onpro each treatment. Take the claritan Wednesday before treatment and everyday until the next Wednesday. No bone pain. Hope everyone is doing well.

• Staylynn
    Staylynn Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July! I buzzed my head last week after clumps of hair coming out, now my scalp is so tender and the prickles are falling out. Not sure which is worse the sensitive scalp or being covered in the prickly little hairs. The heat and sun are not my friend, causing me to become so exhausted. I was able to spend time with my big family for the 4th, which was wonderful. Staying hydrated and resting up, back to working the night shift to get a few shifts in before chemo #3 Wednesday. I enjoy working to keep myself active and sane, but definitely kicks my butt. First shifts helping beautiful babies come into the world with no hair! Had an awful experience the other day shopping at Walmart, a young girl asked her mother "Mom why is she wearing a scarf on her head?" The obnoxious woman proceeded to tell her daughter "Because she doesn't have nice hair like us." I was infuriated. I turned around and said to the little girl "I had really nice hair to but sometimes people lose their hair when they have cancer." I can't believe the things people say. As a mother of a young child I would've taken the oppurtunity to educate my child, not show her how to be rude to others without knowing the circumstances. People are so cruel. Definitely makes me take a look at how I treat others. There are good people, just overshadowed by the rude.

• HockeyChick_CA49
    HockeyChick_CA49 Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2018
    Options

Had my blood work this morning in preparation for cycle 2 of DDAC tomorrow. Feeling pretty good today (and the past few days), although my shins hurt a bit. Not sure if its bone, muscle or nerve pain.

My hair has started to fall out this morning. Not a lot but definitely more than normal. Haven't decided if I will shave my head or let it fall out on its own. I think I will wait and see how bad it gets before I shave it. I live alone so I don't care too much if I end up looking like the "old" Melisandre from Game of Thrones for a while. Even my pubes are falling out Shocked .

Starting to get nervous again although not as nervous as I was for round 1. Hoping I fair better during round two. I plan to drink more water and force myself to eat more.

• bobby77056
    bobby77056 Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hello everyone! I am better today; I was able to go to the office and do some work. I have been super tired and weak. I learned a lot of things for next infusion, 7/13. First load up on laxatives, take claritin or benadryl, is a MUST!! Load up on Alleve muscle pain, and eat bland.. Is so hot in Houston, that it makes is unbearable, but one day at a time..

Hope everyone had a great 4th!!

Hugs!

• hollywood1968
    hollywood1968 Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2018
    Options

Staylynn, I can't believe that woman told her daughter that. My children are grown and I fear what my daughters in their 20's would have done/said in defense of me. Everyone has become super over protective since my first treatment. I was always the strong one and I think me being ill has rocked their world.

Hockeychick, I felt dread the couple of days before my second treatment, knowing what was coming. But not as bad as not knowing with the first treatment. I assume you are not a Boston Bruins fan as my family is, lol!!! The 49 in your name is that your age? I am 49 is why I ask. The thing that was really ironic to me is the day before and the day of my second treatment I felt wonderful, like the old me. I even ran those days not just walk. I knowing walked in to hookup to hell to feel like shit. But no other option.

• HockeyChick_CA49
    edited July 2018
    Options

Staylynn: I feel sorry for that little girl. I suspect she will grow up comparing herself to others. I get the impression the mother has low self-esteem. She had an opportunity to educate her daughter but instead made the situation about themselves. I wouldn't give them a second thought.

Hollywood: Yes, I was 49 when I joined the forum (not anymore). Definitely not a Bruins fan lol. I'm a Penguins fan. I also like the Leafs so...yeah, not a fan of the Bruins haha. If it helps, I'm not a Habs fan.

I hope they can find a vein tomorrow, or they're going to insist I get a picc line.

I have friends that can drive me to my chemo treatments but I'm wondering if anyone drives themselves? Probably wouldn't drive unless I was stuck but I'm curious. I felt okay for about an hour after treatment, so I'm thinking it would be okay.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi All,

We are looking for patients specifically who have been given Caelyx, Myocet, Doxil, Doxorubicin, Rubex, or Adriamycin within the past 18 months. We are offering $1000 for a saliva sample. All you will need to do is rinse your mouth with salt water and spit in a cup.

If you've had chemo, but are not sure which kind, please contact us. Some other chemotherapy drugs may be eligible as well. If you know what drug you took and its not listed above please contact us.

We are developing a drug to alleviate the side effects of chemotherapy and as part of our development work we need saliva samples from patients who have undergone chemotherapy in the last 18 months.

If you are going to be having chemotherapy in the next 30 days or have recently began chemo treatment we can pay $2000 for before and after saliva samples. Please contact us at study34@aptriga.com.

• domzie30218
    domzie30218 Member Posts: 47
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hi All, I'm on Day 8 post TC #2. Wow, my left leg bone pain was pretty intense last night! I didn't quite experience that the first time around. Had a bit of bone pain but nothing that kept me up at night. Also quite strange that it was only on the left leg. It might have been all the walking I did yesterday during the 4th. Can't really taste anything either for the past couple of days so been forcing myself to it. I just keep telling myself that I'm halfway done. I can't wait to feel like my normal self again and everyday until the next Wednesday. No bone pain. Hope everyone is doing well.

Staylynn, I can't believe the nerve of that woman. I'm so glad you said something. Brush it off, some people are so ignorant. It is crazy though because so many people are touched by this disease, so I would think that people would have more compassion towards others. Maybe wishful thinking.

• cc738nj
    cc738nj Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2018
    Options

Hey HockeyChick - I drive myself 30 min ea way to TC chemo every 3 weeks. So far 2 down and no problems but I make sure to nap during the infusion because of the benadryl and I definitely nap as soon as I get home. Uber is my back up if I really don't feel like driving myself home. I think it just depends on the length of your drive and how you are feeling. Take care!

• InnaB2018
    edited July 2018
    Options

Staylynn, I bet that woman thought she was just protecting her child from scary things in life. Like in that episode in Black Mirror, when the mother blocks everything negative or remotely threatening from her daughter. It didn't end well for the both of them. People are so ignorant sometimes.

I actually experience a completely opposite sentiment when I walk in the park in my chemo scarf. It's way too hot for the wig, and I am not going to wear it during my exercise anyway. People go out of their way to smile at me and wish me good luck. I do believe that sensitive and compassionate people outnumber the ignorant and the stupid.

In other news, AC #3 hit me hard, but today I feel marginally better. Saw an integrative physician, who said to continue what I am doing and not stress out about becoming a vegan or a vegetarian, as some research is suggesting. Plant based diet rules, apparently, in post treatment world. Saying my mental good byes to cakes and stakes forever.

• hikinglady
    hikinglady Member Posts: 625
    edited July 2018
    Options

DAY 11 after TC #1 infusion: I've had a lot of really good days, where I could get up and do a fairly normal day's house and garden activities, with less stamina and more resting than usual. Only one terrible day---it was Day 4, certainly partly because of Neulasta and coming down off steroids, of course. In bed all day. Most days, I've felt okay, and have managed ongoing surprises (oh, diarrhea, hello! constipation, greetings!) as they've arisen. I have quite a collection of pharmaceutical potions, and I've dipped into the Zofran a bit, Immodium, Miralax, and Biotene mouth coating rinse. CBD oil that a friend brought me--the teensiest dab on a toothpick-- has calmed nausea and helped with appetite a couple of times.

Thank heavens I'm retired---side-effect management is sort of a full-time job....

Day 3 I started noticing foot neuropathy. Numb and tingly, but not impeding my walking--I walk 3 miles every morning. My MO has me now taking a special daily B12 supplement + L-glutamine. Something about chemo alters absorption of those particular nutrients, causing neuropathy, and this particular supplement combination can reverse or halt it.

• lulabella
    lulabella Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2018
    Options

hi! Quick last minute question before TCHP #2 tomorrow. I was finally approved to get the Neulasta onpr! (My Mom was my advocate and if anyone has trouble getting approved let me know and I'll explain what she did.) I'm very happy to get out of the bubble world :))

So, I know we are supposed to take Claritin but not sure when to start and how long. 10days? Also, I bought the non-drowsy type. Is that ok or will it make me jittery. Thank you

• timetobebrave70
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Lulabella, I got the non drowsy one and it worked fine for me. Make sure it’s the regular Claritin not the D. I took it the day of the chemo and will be for 10 days. I was fine on day 6 but followed advice and will stop tomorrow.

Good luck to you tomorrow Dear!
  • lulabella
    lulabella Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2018
    Options

thank you timetobebrave! Do you just take the amount that it says on the box or is there a particular dosage I’ll ask the nurses a well. Hope all is well with you.

• HockeyChick_CA49
    edited July 2018
    Options

Lulabella, I am taking the non-drowsy formula and it doesn't make me jittery. Maybe it's because of the chemo. I only took it for a couple days before and a few days after my Neulasta shot (I only get 1). I was fine. Not sure what the protocol is for the multi-shot formula.