Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting June 2018

Comments

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    edited July 2018

Yesterday I started Decadron (steroids) and got my lab work. This morning is #2 TCI. I made myself stay in bed till 5 am. The steroids are effecting my sleep. I may take an Adivan along with my evening dose. Taking advantage of this steroid buzz this morning; thoroughly watering the garden, laundry folded, kitchen and bathroom clean, filled all the vases with new flowers to come home to. I can sleep during my infusion. My very dearest best friend is on her way to take me this morning. My lab work came back great. There is only one flag my Monocyte% is 14 and the acceptable range is 2-12%, I'm meeting with my oncologist this morning to find out if that's an issue before I go down the hall to the infusion center.

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    edited July 2018

Just once a day. 24 hour Claritin:)

• timetobebrave70
    edited July 2018

I hope everything went well Rachelcarter35

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited July 2018

#2 DDAC today. Terrible nausea first round. Bad acid reflux which may have contributed too. Have meds for stomach now and a new anti nausea to try. Hopefully lasts longer. First time got maybe 3 hrs. Started to feel better day 6 and have tried to eat as much as I can. Can't afford to lose 5 lbs for each of the 4 rounds. My HER2 finally came back. It's positive, so will be adding Herceptin to the Taxol when I start. Managed to stay hydrated and got some nutrition from smoothies. One night of terrible bone pain from neupogen shots, but other than that just achy.

• rachelcarter35
    edited July 2018

TimetobeBrave70. Thank you for asking.... High monocyte% is okay. The doctor was happy with my numbers so I went to my second TC. Heated my arms and IV went in in one try much more painlessly. I think my onc nurse was more experienced this time. Took miralax last night and plan to take a dose again tonight. The doctor said I can split my steroid in half so I can maybe be a little less tweekie. I'm tired. I hope to sleep well tonight. My oncology doctor said to take Zofran tomarrow morning like last time but then try to switch to the Compezine and Adivan as they are less constipating. On my way home I went to a barber shop and had a straight razor shave. I couldn't go into the itchy part with all those little hairs torturing me. Perhaps a little risky but I don't have one cut on my head. I found out I'm her2 negative after three send backs so no Herceptin for me.

• 3LBirds
    3LBirds Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2018

Hi everyone, Does anyone happen to know what your WBC count needs to be to get chemo? I got my first AC about a week ago. I had my blood drawn this past Thursday. MyWBC count was low enough that my oncologist told me I have to stay home this weekend. I had the Neulasta Onpro too so I am feeling pretty discouraged right now.

• rachelcarter35
    edited July 2018

I've heard the question more than once on this thread if the side effects get worst with each treatment, if we get weaker and more broken down with each treatment. So I asked my onco doctor yesterday. He said the ideal is to have your depletion to be more like a roller coaster rather than a down ward hill so that each time you go into your next treatment you are bolstered back up and ready. I'm going to visualize that image. Its far less frightening and hopeful.

• 3LBirds
    edited July 2018

I will hope that I am on the bottom of the roller coaster and heading up. Rachelcarter35,I hope you got some sleep.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    edited July 2018

The normal range for WBC is between 4 and 11 K/mcl. At least that’s what my MSK app is saying.

• Washington48
    Washington48 Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2018

3LBirds, I have the super low WBC too— dr had me on “house arrest” for five days to avoid possibility of infection. Now on Zarxio instead of Neulasta for 7 shots instead of 5. Will see how it goes. Day 4 of second DDAC and very sluggish this time. Seem tired all the time. Hope to shake this off very soon

• out_and_about
    out_and_about Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2018

Hey guys, I have been MIA for a bit because so much is going on. Here's an update:

First, we bought a house last Thursday. I spent the entire weekend painting in awful heat and humidity so it could be ready for movers on Tuesday, so I could be somewhat settled before infusion #2. On Tuesday, shortly after the movers left, I had my head buzzed. I had been pretty upset with the hair falling out, there was so much of it, it was itchy, tender. As soon as I felt the scissors make the first snip I felt a wave of relief. My head is still sore and I am still losing little hairs (it has finally slowed), but it feels so much better than how disgusting my own hair had become. And my wig looks pretty good on me (though it has been too hot to wear it). I also think my bald head looks better than I expected, but it is patchy and I'm not about to rock it in public. So scarves/chemo beanies it is for now. I am getting used to it. As much as it sucked to deal with the hair falling out, I think waiting as long as I did made it easier to accept shaving it.

TC#2 was 7/6. This one did not go as smoothly. I was wondering what everyone's pre-chemo steroids are? Mine is supposed to be dexamethasone 8mg twice daily the day before, day of, and day after. I have 4mg pills. I realized later that I accidentally took 1 of them twice a day instead of 2, which may be the problem. So I had my usual IV pre-drugs, then they started the taxotere. I felt some pressure in my chest and abdomen, and then became flushed. I thought, oh, I'm having a hot flash from Lupron (I had one only once about a week after my Lupron injection). Then I felt my airway close. Luckily my nurse was right there titrating me slowly. She stopped the infusion immediately and about 5 nurses ran over. My husband just froze. I felt the feeling dissipate within a minute or so of stopping the infusion. They still gave me an additional 50mg IV benadryl (after I get 50mg as predrug) as well as solu-medrol, another steroid. They got in touch with my oncologist and had the go-ahead to restart my titration more slowly, and I was fine that time. It was scary though. I basically passed out the rest of the day and then went to bed. My husband had to work the next evening, so he was calling (not texting) friends to come over to be with me so I would be alone, otherwise my mother in law was going to whisk me away to her house for the night, lol. I seriously felt ok the following day though. I resumed my full dose of dexamethasone that evening.

So other than that little scare, things have been easier this time. I have similar symptoms, but way more mild and tolerable. I started feeling some body aches last night and this morning. My stomach has been intermittently mildly upset. My taste has been mildly off. I think today and tomorrow are the equivalent of my worst days last time, so we'll see how it goes. My sister is here visiting to help me through side effects and getting the house going if I'm up to it.

• 3LBirds
    edited July 2018

Out and about, so glad your nurse was watching closely! Congrats on the house! How exciting for you.

Washington48, I definitely feel like I’m on house arrest! I’m going stir crazy. My husband has been off work this past week because we were supposed to go to London for our anniversary but this happened. So, we’ve both been home and there are only so many movies/shows that we both enjoy I’m glad you were able to get your second DDAC. I’m not familiar with Zarxio. Hope you get some energy back soon.

• LibbyLouWho18
    LibbyLouWho18 Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2018

For those of us in the June "Hairless" Club, my DH found these great beanies, and I wanted others to know about them. He ordered them from Amazon, and they had a great rating.

They are soft, easy to just throw in the wash, and provide great coverage when you're too hot for a wig. The top just folds, (not closed with a seam) or you can wear them as a scarf...if you have a small neck..lol.

Hope this helps!

• bheg79
    bheg79 Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2018

So I was supposed to have chemo #2 today - got to the clinic, had my Paxman scalp cooling machine filled & ready to go then the chemo nurse comes out to tell my my neutrophils are a bit low (0.8) so I’m delayed a week - SO DISAPPOINTING - I’m hoping the same thing does not happen next week - I just want to get these chemo sessions over with

• bobby77056
    bobby77056 Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2018

Oh, no! I am so sorry, Bheg79... hang in there..

• cc738nj
    cc738nj Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2018

Bheg79 - so sorry to hear that! I guess it's good they are watching your counts so you don't get an infection that could really set you back but I'm with you; just want to get them overwith! Stay STRONG.

• rachelcarter35
    edited July 2018

TC #2 was Friday. Today is day 3 and yuck! achy bones, nausea, dizziness and just uncomfortable in my skin. At least this time its less scary because I know it will get better again but yuck! I hate not having the energy for just basic stuff like dishes and garden care. I took Tylenol and adivan. I'm icing my back and just laying around.

• rachelcarter35
    edited July 2018

Walking makes all the difference. I forgot about it yesterday. I walked around the neighborhood this morning and feel so much better!

• out_and_about
    edited July 2018

I noticed I am much better when moving a lot, too. I have been busy taking advantage of my sister being here, getting the house going and garden work (even though maybe I shouldn't be digging around in dirt right now?). It is exhausting and I have had to rest often, but there is so much to do I am back up and going again. It has not been as bad as the first round, so I'm hoping that trend continues for rounds 3 and 4.

I was back to no taste buds again this morning, but even that recovered a little faster than last time, and by lunch I could taste salsa kind of. There was a weird throbbing type pain that I felt in my upper abdomen and chest and radiated into my lower back. It was bad last time and I almost called my doc about it, but it went away by the morning that I was going to. I asked him at my follow up and he had no idea. That one came back a little this afternoon, but also not as bad.

• BrooklynMama
    BrooklynMama Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2018

I haven’t been on this forum or posted in a while bc I’ve been having a harder time with each additional round of chemo. I had my 3rd round on 7/3 of A/C and since the 2nd round am suffering from rapid, pounding heart rate even when just sitting or getting up to walk down the hall. It’s very unsettling. I spent over 6 hours in the ER 2 weeks ago and got EKG, echocardiogram, CT scan, blood work. My heart rate is elevated bc of the chemo but still within normal range. I also have developed PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) which are extra heartbeats! Some people don’t feel them but I do. Drs day it can happen and that these tests don’t show I’m at risk of heart problems.

My RBCs and hemoglobin are low which another Dr says can be contributing to my heart beating faster and harder. This is my main gripe. And bc of this I’m lightheaded (low blood pressure too), get dizzy, and am a bit naseous.

Anyone experience heart palpitations from chemo?

After my 4h and last round of A/C next Tues, nurse recommends I spread out Taxol to 1/2 dose 12 weekly treatments (vs dose dense 4 rounds over 8 weeks). I’m meeting with my oncologist to review. I’ve shed tears thinking of 12 more chemo treatments after A/C! But if it makes me tolerate it better. Taxol is less harsh than A/C but it will also continue to affect my RBCs and hemoglobin so they want to spread the treatments out. Anyone gone through Taxol?

Spirit is waning, and definitely getting scared for future rounds. They say it’s cumulative but I didn’t expect such significant worsening at each round.

:-(

• RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209
    edited July 2018

Tomorrow is my 3rd AC. Hope it goes well. Nurses have trouble accessing my port. I have to lay down and lift my arm over my head so they can do it and get blood to test. A yucky way to start the day.

Question: what do you drink to stay well hydrated? Water gets so boring and I force myself to drink it when I donot want to because I know it’s good for me.

• rachelcarter35
    edited July 2018

Rosie Red: I've been drinking herb sun tea: Celestial Seasoning mix pack of different flavors.

• timetobebrave70
    edited July 2018
    I have been waiting for me to feel little better before I post anything because I didn’t want to be Debbie downer. Lol

My second infusion has been hard. So I felt lousy for two weeks now and I finally felt better yesterday. Only real side affect I had issue with the first one were rashes on my head and neck. I had mouth sores but didn’t bother me too much. This time, i had nausea the whole two weeks ( I didn’t throw up but I had to constantly take zofran), I am still on my period for a month now ( it gets light like it’s about to stop and then Heavy again!) serious fatigue , really awful metal taste in my mouth, no appetite , sensitive mouth and throat when swolling food. ( no rash or mouth sores this time tho).

Went for my labs week after the chemo and my wbc was high due to neulasta shot but my rbc and iron were very low. ( maybe because I have been bleeding for a month!!!!)
    They were going to give me an iron infusion but couldn’t because of insurance issues. (i am praying they get it figured out and fixed before my next infusion on 7//18. I exhausted my Fmla so got on ADA leave so then I had to enroll in cobra , etc etc. long story. )

BUT! I feel great today ladies! I am going to enjoy my one good week before the next one!

RosieRed, I mixed water with strawberry pedialyte when I had the metal taste and couldn’t even drink water and it tasted really good to me.

BrooklynMama, hang in there💕

Kat22, my chemo pal, how are you? Thinking about you. Hope you are into your good days now too:)
  • cc738nj
    cc738nj Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2018

Rosie Red - I mix it up: Herbal unsweetened ice tea; flavored seltzer with a small splash of cranberry juice; adding fruit or cucumbers to regular iced water; etc. The variety helps and I really notice if I don't get 80 or more oz.

• Kat22
    Kat22 Member Posts: 93
    edited July 2018

timetobebrave: Almost feel guilty to report that I bounced back much quicker this round, and have felt absolutely fantastic for almost a week. Dare I say, normal? IDK but it's wonderful. The Neulasta seems to have done it's job, my neutrophils which were 200 after round 1 were 7800 after round 2. Amazing! Got through the no tastebuds thing again, and have been eating like crazy the last couple days now that I can taste again LOL. I sooo don't want to ride the roller coaster down again next week :(

Rosie Red: I drank a lot of Gatorade along with the water, mostly tangerine flavor. Just had to be a little careful about too much sugar. Also, I discovered that when my tastebuds were dead, about the only thing I COULD taste was fruity, preferably cold, things. Popsicles became my new favorite thing. Go figure.

Wishing everyone some good days.......we got this!

• Crystal_sola
    Crystal_sola Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2018

brooklynmama I'm right there with you. I already had heart issues with rapid irregular heartbeat and episodes of svt, was being controlled with medication. But now it's back after 3rd DDAC. Its really scary, keep thinking I'll beat cancer but have heart attack what's the use. I was fine after #1 and started getting tired after #2. I had #3 on July 6, and I cant do the smallest task without getting winded, dizzy, and need to rest. Really worried about getting worse after #4. Then weekly taxol x12. Still trying to walk daily, although much slower. I'm also struggling with hydration. Water tastes horrible to me now, have not found a good replacement yet.

• timetobebrave70
    edited July 2018

I am very happy you are doing aell’ Don’t feel guilty Kat22! You enjoy all the good days you get! You deserve it.

Crystal please try the half water and half flavored pedialyte. Someone mentioned it on another thread and it really made the water taste bettee for me. Also I use a straw. Helps me drink more water at one time.

• Kattysmith
    Kattysmith Member Posts: 688
    edited July 2018

Sherylann, I got some pre-tied scarfs from Headcovers Unlimited, because I am lousy at tying things in an attractive way, I don't care how many videos I watch. Anyway, this company has some really cute things in a wide variety of patterns and colors that I can just slip on my head and go. I'm on a very limited budget (aren't we all?), so I got two for starters. One was in Peacock colors and goes with almost everything I own.

Best wishes!

• rachelcarter35
    edited July 2018

I over did it today. Day 7 of 2nd AC and thought I was ready to roll. Its funny but my side effects are exactly the same as last time almost to the day and I had diarrhea day 7 last time. It may be the Levaquin I start on day 6. Luckily it wasn't preceded by horrible stomach cramps like last time because I managed the Zolfram constipation more carefully this round. I ran errands this morning. took myself out for lunch and then came home and gardened. Now I'm on the couch.

I've worked everyday my whole adult life and the biggest gift I think I'm getting from this is that I know now that I like to work and I'm NEVER going to wish I didn't have to go to work again. I'm done with this sick stuff. I texted my boss today and let him know how much I'm looking forward to returning to work this October. August 17 is my last chemo and my onco Dr. said I can have my implant exchange mid September if I keep recouping the way I have so far. I know its not entirely up to me but I'm hoping and praying.

You all are the most courageous warrior woman I know. Everything you are doing is to live and that is noble. I so appreciate reading every post. It is so helpful and send healing prayers to you all.

• out_and_about
    edited July 2018

Kat22- Agreed on taste buds. Mine seem to be fried a little longer this time. I told my husband that my favorite flavors are cold and wet. My least favorite foods are dry and rough. I need to remember to avoid bread/sandwiches at this stage as they are unpleasant.

Otherwise I am feeling somewhat recovered from this round, after 8 days. The pulsating pressure pain has just about died down. I am still feeling a little sluggish with exertion. But otherwise pretty normal. Looking forward to enjoying my next 2 weeks.

I do have some itching on the back of my scalp and feels like some bumps. I remember reading awhile ago about a scalp rash. Anyone have this and treat it successfully over the counter?