Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting June 2018

Comments

• bheg79
    bheg79 Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2018

Finally had my second round of TCH yesterday (after a 2 week delay) - feeling ok so far - getting a port inserted tomorrow- I am a bit nervous - I am also using paxman scalp cooling and still have most of my hair so I’m hoping that’s a good sign

• yellowb
    yellowb Member Posts: 102
    edited July 2018

@Bheg79, I was really nervous about the port too -- just the concept of a catheter thingey going into my heart was disturbing. But it was really simple, fast, and I had very little pain afterwards -- just a little bit of soreness if something bumped against it for the first week or so.

• bheg79
    bheg79 Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2018

yellows - Thanks for your reply - hopefully I have the same experience - an interventional radiologist is doing mine so at least I’m not completely put under

• Washington48
    Washington48 Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2018

wow—3rd DDAC was really rough. It took me five days to bounce back at all. One infusion to go and then on to taxol for 12 weeks. Plan to take advantage of our great weather and attend a outdoor bbq and dance party Saturday and go out boating on Lake Washington Sunday. I do not want to waste even one of my good days.

Bheg, the port really does work well and I am glad I have one. I see others who chose ‘no port’ and they are having vein trouble. It feels weird for awhile, and now I forget it is there

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    edited July 2018

I agree with enjoying the final good days. My third TC of four is on this Friday. I'm half way through! I've spent this last week with my best friend to give my sweetheart some alone time back at home. He needed to have a break from this whole cancer thing. She lives in a beautiful part of Sonoma county. It's been nice to be away. We've been cooking good food and taking long walks. We also went to Nordstrom. It's funny to be rediscovering make up and nail polish. With no hair and weird fake expander breasts a girl has to find some way to feel girlie. If you told me a year ago that I would ever write that last sentence I wouldn't have believed it for a minute. It really is quite surreall.

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    edited July 2018
    Anyone having problems with thrush like me? I use biotene toothpaste, biotene mouthwash, and salt/baking soda mix! It is my major SE and my period still going on😔
  • Washington48
    edited July 2018

Time to be br.... I was having mouth problems and my dentist prescribed Chlorhexidine Gluconate 0.12 OralRinse. Oncologist thought it would be a waste of $, but it works great! No more mouth issues. I still use Biotene for moisture, but the rinse works! Might ask your dentist! Finally, finally feeling almost normal—as normal as bald, flat-chested lady can be— not exhausted or nauseated. I am looking forward to next five days before AC #4.

• 3LBirds
    3LBirds Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2018

Sherylann987, I have to inject the anticoagulant until I finish AC. I have two more. Then I will hopefully switch to an oral anticoagulant when I start Taxol. Blood clots only happen in about 5% of patients so it's not common. Just wanted to mention that in case anyone is hesitant to get a port after reading my post. Was your port ok yesterday for your 3rd AC?

• rachelcarter35
    edited July 2018

Went to the lab for tomorrow's chemo and realized I'll only have one more lab visit. I'm truly half way through chemo. Light at the end of the tunnel. I'm apprehensive about the next one. I've been enjoying this last week of no SEs. I'm going to do same protocol managing nausea and constipation as last time but am going to add CBD drops starting day after to chemo to see if it will help with day three yuckies. I don't know if its side effects from chemo or with the withdrawal from steroids. I can't imagine how awful day three would be with out Zofram and adivan. Maybe I can make it even better with the CBD drops too. Funny I'll get it all figured out in time for just one more after this one. Next Thursday I have my second opinion appointment with plastic surgeon. I wish I could be a little further along from this chemo on Friday before the road trip but it was the only appointment available. Its almost time to be shifting attention to implant exchange. I'm looking forward to hair mostly. Just a shadow will make me so happy. Hubby kept my garden acceptably watered but hope to yet out there before the heat and dead head everything. I leave for chemo at 8 am so it's going to be a early morning. I'm starting Miralax this evening like I did last time. I'm drinking tons o water today. I took my first steroid this morning. It gives me acid re flux and makes me speedy anxious. Luckily the onco dr let me take half tabs this round. That's my news. Sending healing prayers to all of you.

• yellowb
    edited July 2018

I just figured out, yesterday, that the acid and stomach problems I've been having are chemo-induced lactose intolerance. I bought some lactaid and they are gone. YAY YAY YAY I feel so much better.

• cc738nj
    cc738nj Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2018

anyone getting a chest rash, almost hives, from the chemo? MO thinks it's probably reaction to Taxotere (I'm on TC). Went away last time in about 6 days but it's starting again after treatment #3. At least I only have one more if I can just not scratch my skin off in the meantime!

• RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209
    edited July 2018

Had my last round (# 4) of AC this morning. Usually I’m not tired after the infusion, but I’ve already had to take a nap. My pulse has been in the 80’s even though I’m just resting. Very thirsty, so drinking a lot.

Next for me is 4 rounds of Taxol over the next two months. Worried about what side effects I’ll get from that. MO and nurse both said that it’s not as bad as AC has been. I hope they are right. My kids start school in 3 weeks (freshman in HS and 5th grade) and I want to at least be up in the morning to make sure they are set for school

• rachelcarter35
    edited July 2018

cc738nj: I do have rash, hives and dryness too. It moves around but my chest neck and underarms are the primary areas. I take benedryl in pill form before bed when it starts to effect my sleep. It has been about five days with in the three week period where I've needed it. I also am only using moisturizer that is completely scent free so there is no potential allergic reaction happening. I've been also using a topical cortisone cream.

• out_and_about
    out_and_about Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2018

I had round 3 of TC this afternoon. It was pretty uneventful. No reaction this time around. I remembered my full dose of steroid, so maybe that helped. Basically the benadryl made me high for the first half of chemo, then I was tired enough to take an nap when I got home, and now I feel pretty much fine, just less appetite than usual (although this has been throughout chemo). My experience was that round 2 was much easier than round 1. I asked the NP at my follow up whether I could expect the other 2 rounds to be easier, but she thought that it might accumulate and get harder towards the end. At least I have a well-stocked medicine cabinet by this point.

I saw some people discussing hair loss earlier. Mine is shaved by there is still spikey hair all over. There are definitely full bald areas if you really look, but it is so light blonde you can't easily tell that. I am also not sure whether I want my husband to shave that down more or let it go. Anyone having wig issues? Yes it has been too hot to really wear it most of the time. But if I go out to eat or something I try to wear the wig so I look normal and get used to it. It has been itchy. The wig caps I bought were bunching so I broke down and bought an expensive wiggrip cap. It works well as far as the cap and wig stay in place better, but still so itchy! What do I do about this? I want to wear a wig when I return to work because I don't need my patients taking one look at me and knowing my business if I am in a scarf or chemo beanie. But at this point I feel like half my day would be spent digging underneath the cap scratching my head. I also thought about getting a cheaper short haired wig online for work, so my hair won't fall in my face when working (since you can't really tie them back). Maybe I would get lucky with a less itchy wig. But it would be a shame that this expensive one that I had custom ordered at a recommended wig shop was the itchy one, right?

• yellowb
    edited July 2018

out and about -- I haven't any direct experience to offer, since my wig arrives next Monday. But I have seen aloe wig caps advertised that are supposed to sooth the scalp. Anyone know if they perform as billed?

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    edited July 2018

I got silicone wig band and it works very well. So far, no itching.

• Washington48
    edited July 2018

I use a wig band also with great results. Wig stays in place and no itch. On the down side, I woke up today with white tongue and pain in tongue and throat. Thrush. Hard to eat. 2 new meds and hope it clears up before.AC#4 next Tuesday. My husband(who has been wonderful) says that the house is pretty quiet today...hey—do I talk a lot? Maybe

• RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209
    edited July 2018

I had thrush after AC # 1. It did make it hard to swallow just about anything. Luckily the drug they gave me cleared it up within 36 to 48 hours, so you should be good by Tuesday. Hope you threw a pillow at your hubby for that comment. 😉

• cc738nj
    cc738nj Member Posts: 49
    edited July 2018

thanks - should have thought about the cortisone cream.

• out_and_about
    edited July 2018

Ug sorry about the thrush. Always something, right? Hope it clears up quickly.

• Staylynn
    Staylynn Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2018

Just finished AC#4 2 days ago and I feel like I got ran over by a truck. Headache, hot flashes, dizzy, and heart racing all the time. I just want it to all be over with, I’ve been an emotional wreck, and miserable to be around. August 8th start Taxol weekly x12, please tell me these will be easier. Finally got a surgical plan, BMX with tissue expanders around thanksgiving.

• hollywood1968
    hollywood1968 Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2018

staylynn,

I just had my 4th and final ac Thursday also. I feel horrible, the last two rounds were definitely the worst. I start taxol on the 9th, adding carboplatin to treatments 3, 6, 9, and 12 as long as body can take it. Will have died bmx in Nivem

• Washington48
    edited July 2018

Definitely not excited about AC4, except it is the last of this before Taxol. Thrush is better today, but Dr said no summer bbq/dance party today so sent hubby to represent us. Also had to back out of boating day on Lake Washington for tomorrow...stupid compromised immune system. I will be so totally glad when I get my life back! I now have great sympathy for any baby who has Thrush— Is Taxol any easier

• out_and_about
    edited July 2018

Day 3 after TC for me. Starting to get achey, rundown, and my taste buds are messed up, but all in all I am handling this so far. Based on previous rounds, tomorrow may be another story. My mom is coming tomorrow to help me out and distract me for a few days. Hope everyone else starts feeling better soon.

• Popcornme
    Popcornme Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2018

I shaved my head too. When I wear my wig, I don't wear a wig cap. I think the cap is mostly for those who still have hair so it wouldn't interfere with the wig. The wig doesn't move around as long as the adjustments are placed right. I got a wig grip and it works but when I put it on too tight, it hurts my head. I imagine it would be too hot to wear wig caps since it's summer and I'm having hot flashes too from the Lupron injections

• Popcornme
    edited July 2018

Anyone else gain weight during chemo? I am on AC + T and just finished the last AC cycle. Seems like this is an effect of the steroids (dexamethasone) and fertility shots (Lupron). I feel hungrier than usual and am able to eat more food. Plus, the weird taste in my mouth makes me want to erase it with more food. No vomiting and just slight nausea for me. I gained at least 15 pounds and rising

• rachelcarter35
    edited July 2018

I've gained about 5 so far. I think mine is the combo of steroids making me hungry and also just boredom eating because I"m too done in the first week to keep myself busy. If I hadn't quit refined sugar in January ( before my DX) I probably would have gained much more. Third TC of four this last Friday. This round I'm taking much more anti nausea meds and just not trying to slog through but stay medicated. No need to be a hero. I also am doing CBD drops once a day and I think it may be helping with the nervous restlessness I feel. My guy minimally watered the garden while I was away but I've been able to get out and tune it up these last few mornings before it gets too hot. Moving around seems to make things feel a little better. The doctor said I'm getting through all of this quite well. My blood work is holding steady. I'm eating high protein/fat and low carb. I'm taking vitamins, probiotics and minerals and I think it all helps. Only one more round! One more surgery (exchange) and then back to my job I love.

• Popcornme
    edited July 2018

Part of it is definitely boredom since I'm at home all the time. Before surgery/chemo, I used to eat high fat/low carb too without refined sugar or grains. Now while on chemo, I'm somehow allowing myself to eat sugar and carbs. Maybe I feel the need to reward myself so often? Another part is my parents who moved in with us temporarily to help out during chemo. They are under the recommendation that you can eat anything on chemo as long as you're eating. They think I shouldn't deprive myself and tempt me constantly with desserts

• domzie30218
    domzie30218 Member Posts: 47
    edited July 2018

Hi Washington, I experienced thrush too, started about Day 8 but cleared up pretty well with the medication I was prescribed. I'm also in Washington State! It makes me sad that I'm going through chemo right now when it's so beautiful outside.

I'm Day 11 post TC #3 and yesterday I started experiencing some heaviness/tightness around my chest area and some difficulty breathing. I have asthma so I don't know whether this is attributable to that or chemo. Anyone else have this side effect?

• LibbyLouWho18
    LibbyLouWho18 Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2018

***Brand Recommendation Needed***

Several of you said that your wig grip band helped with itching. Can you share where you ordered/bought then from?

Maybe it's the heat and the fact that I'm new to this whole wig thing, but the itching scalp (not dry skin), makes me look like a druggie needing a fix! 😂😂😂

Glad everyone seems to be managing all the side effects well. Let's keep it up!