Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting June 2018

Options

Comments

• domzie30218
    domzie30218 Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Libby! Good luck with your first round of TC, I'm starting a day after you and trying to keep the good juju going and hopefully it won't be so bad. Sending you my thoughts!

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256
    edited June 2018
    Options

Chemo starting 6/15.

My oncotype DX was 28. My plan was to do chemo if it was above 25. I'm doing 4 treatments of Taxotere and Cytoxan. I'm feeling strong and fit and ready to go back to work 5 weeks out from my double mastectomy.

I don't know why I'm so surprised. I was expecting good news. I had good news after surgery - no node involvement and clear margins. No radiation.

But so it goes. Gearing up for this next battle.

I'm not one to stuff my feelings but there really is a point where you have to just buck up and live.

I walked each day but really was quite lazy healing from the mastectomy. I watched a lot of Netflix these last 5 week. I'm done with that. I'm bored. I plan to give myself rest days when needed through Chemo but plan to get back to doing some art Trying to figure out what to do.

Loving healing prayers to all you warrior women.

I'm discovering that cancer survivors are a pretty cool tough bunch. They know their lives are precious. They try to take less for granted. They don't put up with much bull; they don't have the time for it. There are good parts about being in this club....I'm going to lose my hair!

Does painting your nails really help save them? I'm not a nail polish kind of girl.

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi, Rachel! Welcome to the June chemo club and sorry to see you here. Yes, we are tough, because there is no other choice. We want to get rid of this awful disease, so we have to do whatever it takes.

Had my first AC infusion on Thursday. The nurse was super nice, and the whole thing went through rather well. I sucked on ice shavings to prevent mouth sores, but was discouraged from icing my feet for this treatment. That is, apparently, needed only for Taxol.

So far I have dry mouth, dizziness and mild nausea. Rinse with Biotene after every meal and snack, walk 2-3 miles a day, drink water and rooibos tea non-stop, and take all the meds I can for nausea. All of this helps, I think. Ah, forgot: did 25 min on my elliptical, which helped with dizziness.

Neulasta patchdetonated yesterday, so I am diligently taking Claritin.

My MO said that I can take probiotics and vitamin D3 during chemo, but no other supplements.

Caligirl, how did your infusion go? Hope it was all right.

• Crystal_sola
    Crystal_sola Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2018
    Options

I'm having my port placement on June 5 and start treatment June 6. A/C x 4, then T x 12. Really nervous about the A/C. Doctor already sent prescriptions for nausea and recommends claritin daily to treat bone pain associated with the neulasta. Got to tour the infusion center and thought it would ease my mind, but somehow it made it all seem so real in a way it didnt before. But I'm ready! Soonest begun, soonest done.

• Rababasa
    Rababasa Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi all. I'm in the June club too, I had my first chemo infusion yesterday. I'm triple positive so Chemo was a given. I will have chemo weekly for 12 weeks (Taxol + Herceptin). It went OK. I was out of it at first from the Benadryl and pre-drugs. At the end my friend said that i was really pale. I felt a little dizzy for the first hour, but then felt fine and put together patio furniture for two hours and then went for a walk with my friend.

The most stressful part was my main support person, my aunt (my friend came in from 5 hours away to support my for my first treatment). I don't know why, but my aunt belittled me throughout with snide comments about being a baby, among other things. If she's like that next Friday, it would be better for me to go alone than to have that added stress.

Oh a good thing about my treatment facility is that they have free acupuncture and magnet therapy treatments during chemo! I never had that done before. I don't know if it works, but I haven't felt nauseous yet!

InnaB, your tips are really helpful. I didn't know that sucking on ice chips could reduce mouth sores. I'll try that next time. The Biotene tip is great too.

Crystal, best wishes on your port placement and start of chemo. I had my port put in 3 weeks before treatment. It took about a week and a half before i stopped noticing it. I don't even feel it now.

• hollywood1968
    hollywood1968 Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2018
    Options

i start chemo june 14. Port placement June 8. I have triple negative breast cancer.

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi, Rababasa! Sorry to hear about your aunt. There is no place for snide comments in your life right now. Even if she is going for the tough love, that's just not fair. Can you, maybe, talk to her about it? Yay for your friend!

I sent my husband home during my first treatment. He was working from home on that day, and I didn't want him to fidget in the chair constantly, obsessing with the work staff. Talked to the nurse and watched an episode of Sex and the City instead. He picked me up afterwards, since the facility is only 30 min away from our house.

Acupuncture is great! I know my treatment center has an acupuncturist, will ask about it next time.

• DaughterFriend
    DaughterFriend Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2018
    Options

Good evening ladies (and gents),

My mom starts TCH (Taxotere/Docetaxel, Carboplatin, and Herceptin) tomorrow for Stage I, IDC (ER-, PR -, and HER2+). We initially thought she'd be starting in May; but, plans changed. I think I'm more worried than her, especially since I've never seen her sick. I'm hoping each of you responds well to treatment and there are no significant, life-altering side effects. Best of luck! I look forward to swapping stories and tips.

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi, everybody. Copying this link, I found it extremely helpful in terms of tips https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics/706846?page=60#idx_1789

• timetobebrave70
    timetobebrave70 Member Posts: 65
    edited June 2018
    Options

I am starting my chemo in few days. My chemo regime is TCHP every 3 weeks for 6 rounds. I am triple positive so I have to also continue with Herceptin for a year. I unfortunately have 33 radiations to do as well. I have read about how we should chew on ice for mouth sores, ice our finger and toe nails so they won’t fall off and for neuropathy. When I asked my oncologist she said it wasn’t necessary but it is very necessary. I am going to do it. Also I glutamine is also supposed to help with mouth sores and neuropathy. Stay positive and strong everyone. We could do this! Please everyone keep us posted with tips and updates

• rachelcarter35
    edited June 2018
    Options

Six days after my first chemo treatment I have a prescription for levofloxacin. Its a potent antibiotic with potentially scary side effects. There is a whole special insert that goes with it describing what to look out for.

I was spooked but got on another forum here where women had taken it with no SE and discussed the reasons they took it, weighing the benefits and risk. It helped me make the decision to take it if they tell me to.

We are constantly having to make all of these hard decisions. Its hard to passively trust all of this but I want to know I did my research and then made informed decisions. Then you just have to hand it over and trust your treatment. This forum is so helpful.

I'm tired of worrying and am trying to do less of it. I worried way too much through my mastectomies and recovery. Many of the things that scared me didn't happen and I got through it.

So with this Chemo I'm going to try to worry less.....be informed but worry less. Just picturing the healthy me on the the other side. - healed and energetic.

Loving prayers to all of you survivor warriors going into this next battle

• LibbyLouWho18
    LibbyLouWho18 Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2018
    Options

**2nd Opinion***

I'm curious to know if anyone else got a second opinion after your MO made a plan? I was scheduled to start my first of 4 rounds of TC next Monday, but after receiving an intermediate OncoType score, my hubby asked to see another oncologist. I now have an appointment on Monday with a respected hemotologist/oncologist that specializes in breast cancer. I'm doing this for my husband and myself so that we'll both have peace of mind, but I feel like I'm cheating on my MO!!!! Haha!!

Can anyone provide help?

@Rachel, I really understand your concern over starting a new medication. Maybe between these forums and your nurse, you can make a decision and be at peace with the choice. Also, try reaching out to your pharmacist. They might over some valuable info for you. ❤

• ChasSuz
    ChasSuz Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2018
    Options

I too am most likely starting this month. I've just waited 3 1/2 weeks for Mammaprint results, which came in late yesterday as high risk. I was actively trying to schedule surgery (I have bilateral, doing mastectomy and lymph nodes on left and lumpectomy & SNB on right), but now am fairly certain I'm going neoadjuvant. I see my oncologist on Thursday AFTER an appointment with a hematologist to determine the cause of my suddenly low platelets--they went from 150 on April 23 to 36 then 56 last Thursday (they called me to return for a re-check because they assumed it was a lab error). No idea how that impacts chemo--it seems concerning to me, but the docs don't seem too worried.

I'll be traveling about an hour and a half for treatments, as I'm going to MUSC in Charleston for better care than I can get here in Columbia SC. I am a solo family court attorney with about 55 clients and am very concerned about keeping all of these balls in the air. I can't stop working altogether, and don't want to. Am definitely planning to eat healthy, drink green stuff like mad, exercise as much as possible (I'm a runner and am hoping for some slow jogs on the stronger days), work with a coach in Charleston who's an amazing life coach but also has yoga and nutrition background, meditate, and try to stay as positive as possible. I will say that the last few weeks waiting for this last test result have been the worst. I'm a planner and an organizer by nature, and nearly 2 months of the unknown really started to hit me once I learned the Mammaprint was delayed. Certainly doesn't help when clerks of court are calling asking if hearing dates 2-3 months out work for me.

Also hoping to do a cold cap of some sort, but my hair is thin so who knows? Maybe I'd get a better head of hair the second time around..

So glad to have this group!

Suzanne

• ChasSuz
    ChasSuz Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2018
    Options

Heck yeah! My oncologist in Columbia was SUPER aggressive and wanted me to do 5 months of the red devil "if you want to save your left breast." My tumor is ER+, PR+, HER2 negative, 4.5 cm, 12 o'clock, close to the skin, and I'm a 36C. Let's be real. So we went to MUSC when I found an amazing surgeon online. She told me that even on the off chance that the tumor itself shrank (highly unlikely), I have calcifications AND another suspicious area that would have to be biopsied, so mastectomy would never be off the table.

MUSC allowed me to do Mammaprint--other onc completely poo-poohed the idea, as she believes everyone should have chemo, and the most aggressive possible.

So glad I went elsewhere. I now feel like I'm in very competent hands, and that goes a long way! Good luck!

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

Here are my two cents on the topics:

Second opinions are very good. You have to follow your gut, though. When I considered a surgeon, I also made sure to research the hospital. If you are looking for an MO, look at the track record of the facility where he/she works. That will give you additional info to consider.

I myself didn't go for a second opinion when I heard my MO telling me about potential AC/T treatment plan. I already researched my pathology report ad noseum and knew that she would recommend it as an insurance policy. I had lymphovascular invasion, so I knew that any MO would say the same thing. But everybody is different, and you are your best advocate. Pick the doctor you trust.

There is an article in yesterday's NYT about genetic tests and breast cancer, and how people with intermediate scores can bypass chemo, so you might want to look at it. However, the statistics are very misleading. How do we know which percentage each of us will fall in? It's like Hunger Games when the odds might or might not be in our favor, and we won't know it until much later.

ChasSuz, I admire you! I am going to vegetate and be lazy all 4 months of my treatment onthe advice of my MO. Going on disability. By the way, I drunk too much of the green juice yesterday and now my throat is scratchy 😥. And they don't call AC the red devil anymore, it scares off the game 🤪.

Love you guys, we can do it!

• rockymountaingirl
    rockymountaingirl Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2018
    Options

ChasSuz, I am doing cold capping (Dignicap), and like you, I have rather thin hair and had some doubts about it because of that. However, the information I got is that if your hair is thin, the cold capping may actually work better for you than for someone with thicker hair, apparently because thicker hair provides some insulation and makes it harder to cool the scalp sufficiently. So for whatever it's worth, there's that.

• DTR808
    DTR808 Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2018
    Options

libbylou - I’m actually in the process of getting a second opinion. If anything, for peace of mind. Please remember that you are your own best advocate and don’t worry that you are offending anyone by seeking out another opinion. Now is the time to only worry about YOU.

In my case, I’m not sure it was a good fit with my first oncologist. I had to fight tooth and nail for him to agree to order the OncotypeDX test as well as the Mammaprint. He kept on referring to the one positive lymph node I had upon biopsy. I understand that a lot of doctors would recommend chemo considering lymph node involvement, but my argument was that maybe the test results would help define what type of chemo would be sufficient, so.....thus me seeking out a second opinion. Upon my first meeting with my second opinion, she advised me that she would definitely have recommended at least the Oncotype test and was pleased that I could get the mammaprint as well. I am about 99% sure I will switch over to her from my first onco

I am currently awaiting the results from both tests from the first oncologist and will then get my second opinion from the other. Hoping for low risk results!

To all of you who have just started chemo the past week, I am thinking of you and sending you positive, healing vibes. <3

• LibbyLouWho18
    LibbyLouWho18 Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2018
    Options

Thank you all for your positive opinions about getting a second opinion. As a "rule follower" in life, this is not my usual path! DTR, what you said makes a lot of sense. WE have to be our own advocate in this fight. I'll keep you posted on results.

To those starting your first chemo rounds this week, I wish you all the best. Sending hugs your way!!

• timetobebrave70
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I just came home from my first infusion. It took 6 hours because they wanted to give everything slow since it’s my first time. All went well but I am embarrassed to say I didn’t get to ice my fingernails and toenails. The cold pack I bought on amazon didn’t fit well. But I did chew on ice chips all the way through. No nausea yet and ate my first meal of the day with no problem. So far so good. Let see. 🙏
  • InnaB2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

timetobebrave, good to hear the infusion went fine. Remember to take your meds on the clock and you’ll pull through the SE’s with flying colors

• timetobebrave70
    edited June 2018
    Options

thank you

• rachelcarter35
    edited June 2018
    Options

I absolutely got a second opinion on surgery and chemotherapy. They were both in agreement so I felt better about both going into surgery and now going into chemotherapy next week. We need to trust our treatment as much as possible.

• JoyMrt5
    JoyMrt5 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2018
    Options

I’m starting AC/T 8 roundson Tuesday the 12th. My cancer was stage 2a triple negative IDC so I had my surgery first. I had a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction on May 10th. Good luck to everyone starting chemo this month!!

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

• timetobebrave70
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Day after my first infusion and still no side effects. I did not get the neulasta shot for the wbc because my oncologist wanted to see how I did without it first. I think lot of people are having bone pains, flu like symptoms x10 and neuropathy from that. I will get blood test to check my wbc count in a week so we will see. I am gurgling my mouth after every meal with biotin, drinking lots of water. Taking my nausea meds timely. So far so good🙏

Rachel...I am glad you got the second opinion and now is rest assured. It really is important to feel like you are doing the best thing possible and have confidence in your medical team. Question: why did you have to get the levoflaxin?

Joy...good luck with your chemo! Keep us posted on how your doing and any tips you find🤗
  • bheg79
    bheg79 Member Posts: 49
    edited June 2018
    Options

I’m starting chemo June 18 (still somewhat surreal) - TCH - 6 cycles one every 3 weeks then rads after.I’m stage 2 Triple Positive. I am going to try cold capping with the Paxman system in an attempt to save my hair & icing my hands and feet for neuropathy and my nails. I’m nervous about my first infusion - Hoping for the best,

I’m glad to see that rockymountaingirl mentioned she heard cold caps may work better for thinner hair as my hair is a bit on the thin side. Lots of good info., support & tips on here which I am grateful for.

• timetobebrave70
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hi bheg79. You and I are similar. I am also triple positive stage 2. I am getting tchp 6 rounds every 3 weeks as well. I wonder why you are not getting the perjeta? Maybe cuz I had the mastectomy and you had the lumpectomy. ????

I wish you luck with your first chemo and have you in my prayers. My first infusion went very well with no glitches and so far I am doing good.

I hope the cold cap works for you. Keep us posted!🙏🙏💕💕
  • Staylynn
    Staylynn Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2018
    Options

Part of the June Chemo club. My MO has decided to do AC every other week x4, then T weekly x12 prior to surgery. My Oncotype was not able to be done as "they didn't have enough sample." They agreed that because of my age and risk factors that "high dose" would be the best route. Still waiting on genetic testing so moving ahead with treatment prior to making surgical plan even though my mind is made u. Port placed 6/11 and first treatment 6/14. Happy Anniversary to me:( Anyone else chemo first?

• InnaB2018
    edited June 2018
    Options

Good luck to everybody who starts chemo. We can do it, ladies! If our bodies were built to withstand natural childbirth, they can definitely deal with a few unpleasant days, right? At least I hope so...

• rachelcarter35
    edited June 2018
    Options

timetobebraless....They are giving my Levofloxin 6 days after every infusion for seven days to prevent infections I think.

• Staylynn
    Staylynn Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2018
    Options

I start next week and wondered what are the recommendations for working? I am a nurse who works the night shift 3-12 hour shifts a week. I am trying to be realistic and know that I should stop working for a little bit , but was wondering what everyone recommends for working. I know a lot of this depends on me personally and how my body does with this, just wondered how everyone else is feeling and thinking about work??? Thank