Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pleomorphic Invasive Lobular Carcinoma

gwydiana
gwydiana Member Posts: 13

What a crazy and bizarre diagnosis. Am I the only Pleomorphic here?

Comments

• gwydiana
    edited August 2018

Seriously? I'm the only one?

• nash
    nash Member Posts: 146
    edited August 2018

No, you're not the only one. The ILC forum just isn't that active. If you run a search in the forum for "pleomorphic", some of our past discussions will come up.

• gwydiana
    edited August 2018

Nash,
    How did you add that line "Pleomorphic ILC, initially diagnosed at age 38" at the top of your profile?

• nash
    nash Member Posts: 146
    edited August 2018

Go to “settings”, then “signature”. You can add the info there. Make sure you have the signature settings set to “public” view.

• gwydiana
    edited August 2018

Nash,
    Thank you!

• beach2beach
    beach2beach Member Posts: 245
    edited August 2018

I don't have that particular type but I agree, so not the typical diagnosis of cancer... ILC let alone and more specific sub-type. Makes us all extra special right? :)

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited August 2018

gwydiana - I was diagnosed with PILC in 2010 just over 8 years ago. At that time, my MO told me that the pathology and oncotype score would dictate my treatment and not to give too much thought about the pleomorphic designation. I was premenapausal at diagnosis and had positive nodes with extracapsular extension so even with a low oncotype score I was treated with chemotherapy. I have been on Arimidex for more then 7 years and anticipate staying on it for 10 years. I'd be willing to stay on it longer if new research shows that it could be beneficial in preventing late recurrance.

• gwydiana
    edited August 2018

toomuch,
    Thank you so much for sharing your info with me. I've been feeling so isolated lately!

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    edited August 2018

I believe mine was pleomorphic but honestly, I don't even recall what that means anymore.

I am sorry you feel isolated. Cancer is very isolating. But we are here to support you.

• MoonGirlJess
    MoonGirlJess Member Posts: 211
    edited August 2018

I have pleomorphic ILC also. From what I've read the subtype is rare

I am so sorry you are feeling isolated. Some days just suck

I’m here for you

Jess

• fairchild
    fairchild Member Posts: 138
    edited August 2018

Hey. I'm still struggling to understand this posting system. Just got my path reports from bilateral mastectomies, and to my shock have pleomorphic invasive lobular c., as well as regular invasive lobular and invasic ductal. The pleo was a complete surprise, as the initial biopsy identified it as a lymph node within breast with ductal cancer. How weird is this?

The NP tried to minimize concern, but she really couldn't explain this report and it's driving me crazy b/c I can't understand the terms. I know the "new" pleo tumor is 2.5 cm, the largest of them all, has "extensive host lymphocytic response," and is E and P negative but probably Her2 "overexpressed" whatever that is. Over 50% of the tumor is tumor-infiltrating lympocytes (???), and the cells are S-100 negative but strongly Cam5.2 positive with patchy E-cadherin positivity. And there are signet ring cells that have intracytoplasmic mucin droplets by PASD stain.

I've been living with this report all weekend. Please let me know if you have any idea what this means. It is not exactly sounding good! Thanks!

• gwydiana
    edited August 2018

Holy Cow, Fairchild. I'm so freaking confused by your report. We have a doctor here in Southern California that is an expert in Pleomorphic and I'll bet he can help you decipher that report. He also owns NantHealth and they have a test that actually tests a piece of your tumor against your own cells to determine what chemo regimen will be the very best and most effective treatment. The test is free if you qualify (make under $200,000/year).

His name is John Link. His clinics are called BreastLink. I highly recommend you contact them and they will do a phone appt if you are not local to the area -- very affordable and extremely informative. http://www.breastlink.com/doctors/dr-john-link/

• fairchild
    edited August 2018

Gwydiana, thanks for the info....I'll start checking into it tomorrow. I'm halfway across the country, but I think the time has come for another opinion, so I'd be glad to have these records reviewed by someone who can understand them. Thanks so much!

• gwydiana
    edited August 2018
  • IllinoisNancy
    IllinoisNancy Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2018

I was diagnosed with Pleomorphic ILC back in 2006. I'm still here and enjoying life to the fullest:)

• kmo1975
    kmo1975 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2018

Illinois Nan,

What advice would you give to a newly diagnosed Pleomorphic ILC patient? What test discovered the ATM mutation? What other genetic testing would have done in hindsight?

Thanks,

• yatcomw
    yatcomw Member Posts: 57
    edited September 2018

I also had Pleomorphic ILC mixed in with ductal and a bit of IBC.....pretty much you name it.... I had it.

My tumor was huge..8cm...and at least 17 nodes were positive.....it was in my skin as well.

I am over 14 years out......did lots of chemo and have been on Femara from almost the beginning & haven't stopped.

There are others on the board that pop in from time to time that are also doing well with pleomorphic ILC so don't concern yourself too much if you don't hear from many.......most have gone on and living their life.

Hang in there.

Jacqueline

• gwydiana
    edited September 2018

Jacqueline,

Wow! I thought I was the only one with the massive tumor that went undetected for over 8 years! My tumor was over 18 cm!!!! Still dealing with the shock. Just started chemo last month.

• IllinoisNancy
    edited September 2018

Hi ILC Sisters,

Good News:) I had my six month CAT scan and full body bone scan and there is no new cancer!! I have been stable for a full year and winning the battle that started 16 years ago. There is hope for all of us.

Love,

Nancy

• Staceybee
    Staceybee Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2018

IllinoisNancy - hooray!!! Keep doing what you’re doing and going!

• fairchild
    edited January 2019

I see there's been more postings since I was here last summer. Since then I've been getting chemo, and pretty sick, but I'm done with chemo and on to phase 2 now...9 more months of Perjeta and Herceptin. Which will be followed by a phase 3 that I don't know much about now.

My onc told me we were doing the chemo (TCHP) because the risk of mets was higher initially with pleo. He didn't run an oncotype-- said he knew from the pleo designation the score would tell us to do chemo. I'm glad I did it.

Hope you all are doing well! I really appreciate hearing about encouraging stories!

• dakrock
    dakrock Member Posts: 17
    edited January 2019

Illinois Nancy glad you are doing good.   I am curious about the skin cancer.  I had mastectomy for ILC right breast on Feb. 23, 2018.  6 months later I had a melanoma on my face which needed to be removed by a plastic surgeon.  I have quite the scar.  Was your skin cancer related to the breast cancer?   Just trying to figure all this out.

Thanks

Bonnie

• IllinoisNancy
    edited January 2019

Yes, my skin cancer was ILC breast cells. I have had it biopsied in my chest and stomach skin and both were ILC. I have another primary cancer that has been diagnosed called neuroendecrine. It started in my stomach and spread to my liver before I even knew I had it.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited January 2019

IllinoisNancy, I noticed you are pr negative like me, have you been treated with AI drugs? It is suppose to be more effective than tamoxifen for us.

• morningdove
    morningdove Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2019

I was diagnosed with Invasive Pleomorphic Lobular Carcinoma on January 25th 2019. Had lumpectomy on Valentine's Day and getting ready to begin Radiation. It is bizarre, weird, and rare indeed. I am with you!

• gwydiana
    edited April 2019

morningdove, this is one of the most rare types of Breast Cancer. I also have the same diagnosis

• morningdove
    morningdove Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2019

I've always been told I'm unique but would rather not be so with a subtype of bc that is considered rare. Oh well, it is what it is. Hoping and wishing you well as we live with this diagnosis, go through treatment and hopefully kick the ass of cancer as it messes with us.

• 2loopyloopy
    2loopyloopy Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2019

Hello everyone - what a roller coaster ride this all is. I have been lurking for a while, reading, reading, and yet more reading and learning heaps, and flabbergasted at the many differences in diagnoses/treatment/options there is. Not too many pleomorphics seem to be around so I thought I would add to the numbers. My primary diagnosis was aggressive pleomorphic lobular carcinoma but with multifocal LCIS & DCIS throughout my boob.

I was diagnosed via a regular mammogram in June 2019, calcifications showed up, some of which were later biopsied. That was when another small mass was detected, biopsied and diagnosed as invasive pleomorphic lobular carcinoma. An MRI then showed up lots of additional DCIS (part of later path report after mx) but very clearly visible and a mastectomy was my only option. As I am in my 60's I decided against reconstruction, small chested anyway, oncotype etc not done in NZ, no family history so gene testing not been suggested either. Now on Letrazole for the foreseeable future, and at this point no real discernible SE apart from the occasional hot flush. Hmmm I thought they were long gone. I'm another one who has to do things differently - not sure I like this distinction here though

• mikamika
    mikamika Member Posts: 242
    edited December 2019

Hello,

Could you please help me to understand what makes ILC pleomorphic?

I don't see this word in my pathology report. But maybe there are some features that make ILC pleomorphic?

• OnTarget
    OnTarget Member Posts: 124
    edited December 2019

I have ILC with pleomorphic features, whatever that means. Maybe not enough cells are pleomorphic to be called pleomorphic? I have no idea.